Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

and again quake 1 specifically and a lot more than quake 2 is about mobility in the same way eternal is. the combat design of eternal is quake 1, absolutely and utterly, its baffling to say it isnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stux posted:

there is a quake 1 secret that is absolutely impossible to reach without using a grenade jump so no, this is completely false.

Oh huh, there is.

Still does not change theres no encounter or level progression behind this mechanic and that once again Im burned on Romero's dodgy recollection of things and the fact Im the worst secret finder in gaming

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope id/Bethesda put more of their old games on consoles!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Martman posted:

So like, QWOP except instead of controlling a dude's legs you're controlling a dude's hands on a keyboard and mouse while he plays an FPS?

The example he used was from a GTA-like where you're in a car chase, but are actually controlling the car you're chasing. And that one boss from Battletoads.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its really pretty irrelevant that there isnt progression behind the mechanic. the mechanic is there, its purposefully there, and the player can and probably will make use of it because its fun to do. what you are seeing with eternal is quake concepts put into a much more sane and palatable format. instead of having to work out you can make yourself jump higher with a rocket or use it to propel yourself horizontally, hey, heres a second jump and a dash and it doesnt hurt you instead. instead of having to work out wow if i strafe while jumping while moving my mouse in a specific way i start accelerating a lot, heres a glory kill upgrade that just out right propels you up to ridiculous movespeed in a way that is spelled out and rewards combat rather than tricky and unintuitive engine eccentricities. instead of the grappling hook being a ctf mp only thing, heres one stuck onto the super shotgun and you grapple onto enemies with it to pull yourself into range. that these mechanics are also fully implemented into the combat doesnt suddenly push it into a new genre, its simply a natural extension of quake combat, and with more modern development behind it making those mechanics more obvious, easier to use and explained to the player you can now make it required as well when you design encounters.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

q2dm1 me

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

there is a quake 1 secret that is absolutely impossible to reach without using a grenade jump so no, this is completely false.

Hell, Rise of the Triad, a FPS which came out like 2 years earlier, doesn't even have mouselook and requires a vertical rocket jump to beat the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Martman posted:

where are all the second person shooters

This is goldeneye when you only screen spy on your friend and never look at your own square

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Hell, Rise of the Triad, a FPS which came out like 2 years earlier, doesn't even have mouselook and requires a vertical rocket jump to beat the game.

Marathon had mouselook on mac but required grenade hops

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I hope id/Bethesda put more of their old games on consoles!

I was looking around recently and fans have ported Quake to iOS, I have no idea why Bethesda hasn’t. Modern console ports would be trivial, I actually bet one could get it running in a couple weekends on a Bone if you start with a modern source port and bring in the already developed game pad controls from the iOS port. Any XBox one can be a developer kit, so you can run code that you compile on it.

I’ve been playing Quake 1 very, very recently and the first expansion pack has a level halfway through that requires rocket jumping to progress, but gives you a giant launch area, landing zone, and invulnerability just to make sure you can do it safely.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

This is goldeneye when you only screen spy on your friend and never look at your own square

There's a 2014 game called Screencheat that's built around this concept

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I was looking around recently and fans have ported Quake to iOS, I have no idea why Bethesda hasn’t.

I think they will! I hope so. I'm sure the Doom ports sold really well

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they cant port quake to consoles because otherwise the people on r/pcmasterrace wouldnt be able to pretend that people simply cant move a camera fast enough on a controller in 2020

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Prey, Fez, and Valkyria Chronicles are all leaving Gamepass PC on 4/15. They're all good games and I loved Prey in particular. Definitely worth playing through Prey before they remove it.
I made the Game Pass version of VC so it's sad to see that drop off...

But I also did the Game Pass version of Alien Isolation that just went up so it's swings and roundabouts innit

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

doingitwrong posted:

???

Quake made rocket jumping mainstream.

I’ll grant the rest of your post, but Quake was utterly about mobility. So much so that they followed that particular design thread to the trampoline madness of Quake III.

I think Tribes predates quake rocket jumping? Or maybe just qiii arena. Either way, tribes was cool.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
There was a Dreamcast game where you played a guy trapped in a security room and you watched a second character on cameras and told them using the microphone what to do

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

I think Tribes predates quake rocket jumping? Or maybe just qiii arena. Either way, tribes was cool.
It came out after Quake 2, yeah.

FastestGunAlive posted:

There was a Dreamcast game where you played a guy trapped in a security room and you watched a second character on cameras and told them using the microphone what to do
Wasnt that Lifeline, a PS2 game?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stux posted:

wolfenstein and doom and the grandfathers of fps, but quake is the eternal god emperor and all others will be measured against it

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There's plenty of second-person games and every single one claims to be the first ever in its marketing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

quake and doom are the same game always have been hth

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ethanol posted:

quake and doom are the same game always have been hth

casual mindset

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Akuma posted:

Oh yea, you right

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I preferred quake to doom, 3d mouselook was legitimately amazing

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Quake was and is bad. Quake 2 was good for the engine and mods. Quake 3 was the first and only good Quake game.

But this has nothing to do with Xbox or Microsoft.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Quake was and is bad. Quake 2 was good for the engine and mods. Quake 3 was the first and only good Quake game.

But this has nothing to do with Xbox or Microsoft.

One is the best single player
2 is the best mp mods
3 is the best rocket arena

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

quake 3 and live are the kings. quake champions surprisingly ok but dead and will disappear with no servers. quake 2 fun. quake 1 yeah ok. best single player quake is now doom eternal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nah doom is best uncharted

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Akuma posted:

Yep, it was a PS2 game. It was not good. If you're interested in seeing it, Supergreatfriend of Deadly Premonition LP fame did a playthrough on his YouTube channel.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

best single player quake is now doom eternal.

The first level of Doom Eternal is so Quake that I was like "they clearly want to make another Quake"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The first level of Doom Eternal is so Quake that I was like "they clearly want to make another Quake"

I want them to make another quake so badly. Just go full Lovecraftian horror, soundtrack can be Trent Reznor screaming at the other end of a factory, nailgun could be modelled on F.E.A.R.'s penetrator.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I want them to make another quake so badly. Just go full Lovecraftian horror, soundtrack can be Trent Reznor screaming at the other end of a factory, nailgun could be modelled on F.E.A.R.'s penetrator.

A new Quake with that engine they have going would be amazing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Twerk from Home posted:

If you haven't played it yet, AMID EVIL for PC is basically Quake if it leaned completely into the original dark fantasy concept.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

take doom eternal design, nix the climbing, and finally add back in strafe jumping with accel, and thats quake!! thats a quake game!! although running faster glory kills, faster dash cooldown and speed boost on glory kills is getting me a decent way there

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Quake 2 demo was one of the first 3D games I ever played on my family PC and I played it so much that I could literally imagine the entire level in my head. I knew every single area. I might go play it now...

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

If you haven't played it yet, AMID EVIL for PC is basically Quake if it leaned completely into the original dark fantasy concept.

Yes, if you ever wanted it, this game delivers.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

amid evil drools dusk rools

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sorry turns out i was thinking of project warlock not amid evil which i havnt played yet apologies

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
imo don't buy any of the doom remakes except doom 64, the rest don't hold up nearly as well as they did in my mind, and somehow doom 64 is better than I remember it. Amid evil looks dope too.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

imo don't buy any of the doom remakes except doom 64, the rest don't hold up nearly as well as they did in my mind, and somehow doom 64 is better than I remember it. Amid evil looks dope too.

Doom 1 is still really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

sorry turns out i was thinking of project warlock not amid evil which i havnt played yet apologies

You missing out it owns