Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

John Prine died and I’m really sad about it

https://youtu.be/oPwq0YoOy4g

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

The secret of the ooze

Escape From Noise

I went by work today to take care of something and they're closing as of today. The had to throw out a case of eggs so I left with a bunch. Thing is...I bought eggs the day before yesterday. I guess I'll be living off of omelettes now...

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

John Prine died and I’m really sad about it

https://youtu.be/oPwq0YoOy4g

This is heartbreaking. I'm actually in tears over this because he's one of my heroes.

biosterous

i didn't know who that was so i looked him up, and it turns out i did actually know a song by him (sam stone)

in terms of impact it seems like he's kinda similar to what Gordie Howe was for canada? sorry for your cultural loss, usa :(

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Sam Stone is a good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLVWEYUqGew

i looked up Gordie Howe like, "why haven't i heard of this musician?"

i see now he masterfully played the hockey stick, glove, and jawbone :unsmith:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
was practicing Paradise but can't make it through the 4th verse w/out breakin down

biosterous

Slush Garbo posted:

Sam Stone is a good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLVWEYUqGew

i looked up Gordie Howe like, "why haven't i heard of this musician?"

i see now he masterfully played the hockey stick, glove, and jawbone :unsmith:

i wasn't quite awake and mixed up gordie howe with gord downie oops!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
oh man, the tragically hip were great!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Slush Garbo posted:

was practicing Paradise but can't make it through the 4th verse w/out breakin down

At least he was a man with a plan
https://youtu.be/JKPDFQRmG_M

I’m sure he’s enjoying that cigarette thats nine miles long

Goons Are Gifts

Usually i don't do this in byob or SA or in general towards other people tbh but for once I'm going to say this:

:smith:

Thank you and stay safe, friends

Trying

Goons Are Great posted:

Usually i don't do this in byob or SA or in general towards other people tbh but for once I'm going to say this:

Be well, space creature :(

alnilam

It's okay to be sad, and scared, itt

Goons Are Gifts

On the positive side!
Chancellor Merkel is going to talk to the state governors (actually presidents) on the 15th and will have a conference with the full government on the 16th. Given Austria's first baby steps towards normal life again, it is expected that Germany, too, will have some of the strictest rules loosened up a bit. This happens in tight cooperation with the health administration and experts from the RKI and will only be a very first tiny step made along with a further massive increase in test availability, certified antibody tests rolling out of Lübeck en mass and the government's optimism that our current strategy (regardless of how open stuff is) of testing, testing, testing and more testing - both for the disease and for antibodies - on everyone with a mouth, nose or general possible vectors of infection plus taking massive care of the diseased is working. What's happening right now is officially the biggest and most expensive general healthcare operation ever conducted in the history of Germany and the government is willing to spend every cent they can grab their hands on this if necessary. The number of policies enrolled to help everyone, from homeless person on the street to business owner, is stunning.

There is a life after this.

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

:sympathy: a lot of feels like that running around, sorry friend

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

I have read a few articles on how Germany is handling everything really well. GJ germany, keep it up

ty manifisto

alnilam

without getting into politic, the US seems to be pulling it together in spite of some uh, poor leadership, thanks to the work of experts and the people on the ground. Could be doing a lot better but I'll be thankful for the good parts that we do have.

ty manifisto

Escape From Noise

Japan is in lockdown kind of, and I don't have work until who knows? I'm getting paid this month but possibly not the next. I have savings but... also kind of worried what this might mean for getting our license for brewing, and beyond that being able to order materials and supplies. Ah life.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

alnilam posted:

without getting into politic, the US seems to be pulling it together in spite of some uh, poor leadership, thanks to the work of experts and the people on the ground. Could be doing a lot better but I'll be thankful for the good parts that we do have.

US has gone with a let the states handle it. My state has closed a lot of stuff including weed stores until May 4th.

Other states have gone as far as sticking fingers in their ears and saying it's the job of DC and until DC orders them to they aren't going to change.

John Oliver has been doing a good job explaining it on Last Week Tonight if you want to know more. HBO has been putting it up on YouTube recently too. It's a little akward without the studio audience.

google THIS

States are varying widely. My home state was recently lauded by BBC News for how quickly we enacted measures relative to the timing of our first confirmed cases, to the point where I've been a little shocked to hear about other states just now enacting shelter-in-place policies, if at all.

I'm kind of proud, but also a little dismayed that this isn't more the norm.

pixaal

I haven't looked at each state I'm kind of scared to. I get the feeling that more states are doing this badly than doing it well though. It also doesn't seem to be on animal lines both puppies and kittens are doing good jobs and bad jobs with this.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 9, 2020

sig by owlhawk911

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Some states are being Bad Dogs and need to be rapped on the nose with a rolled up newspaper

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Escape From Noise

Ah man Tokyo is at over 1300 cases. Osaka is at over 500. At least Hokkaido seems to have stabilized...

xcheopis

County of Alameda is doing pretty well! I'm in fear of the numbers that will show up from SoCal, though. Apparently most people didn't take this seriously!

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I just got back from Kroger. I went in because there was no line, and quickly discovered there was no restriction on how many people could be in there
:( wasn't too bad, though there were people shopping in groups which was annoying as we've been told to shop alone if at all possible. I was masked and used sanitizer on my cart, did the whole decontamination routine on my stuff when I got home (hung my mask in the sun to dry out before i give it a 72 hr. isolation, clorox wiped packages, washed cold items and produce, sprayed my shopping bags with lysol which are drying in the sun, took a shower, changed clothes).

So I should be set on groceries for about 2 weeks, though I will go to my convenience store for beer again before that I'm sure. I think I mentioned them upthread maybe? Nice as h*ck old Chinese couple taking mad precautions over there, as am I when I go, and they have St. Arnold, 8th Wonder, and Buffalo Bayou beers if I decide to spring for them

Anyone have opinions/advice on reusing n95's? I have a handful of decent 3M ones from work. When I wear one to go to the store I hang it in the sun when I get back if possible, then I stick it in a plastic bag for at least 3 days before I use that one again. I don't want to wash them and wear out the filtration, and definitely not gonna spray lysol or anything on it...

E2: I only kept three of fifteen n95's. I gave the rest to my neighbor working in a doctor's office and my elderly mom. I was told donation centers wouldn't use mine because the package had been opened already

Slush Garbo fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 9, 2020

alnilam

My wife uses the one we had in our basement every day and she's a doctor. Not caring for covid patients but still, out there and getting in people's faces. The hospital, understandably, is conserving PPE for covid wards so she's stuck using our project N95 every day.

So no I don't really have great advice but having 3 to rotate between is probably pretty good. If anything i might cut the plastic bag out of the equation to let things dry and germs therefore die.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Oh yeah, I am drying them out in the sun
and storing them in old pre-cv19 shopping bags from when I sometimes forget my shopping bags, in a storage closet I don't go into often. I should just put them on hangers in there instead, after the "UV treatment" lol

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Also wanna say for everyone's benefit, that 72 hour number isn't for sure, we don't know enough yet. I'm giving them at least that long, cuz I'm only going to a store every 2-3 days anyway so the rotation is actually longer than three days. But my point here is, we don't know enough about it to say that four or five is long enough yet. Just doing what I can over here

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Oh! Alnilam! Is she washing it everyday? If so how is it holding up? Articles I've read say doctors are getting about 20 uses out of them washing everyday

alnilam

She is not washing it. She has not gotten much good guidance on it. She's hanging it up to dry and that's all.

Apparently she could also go get a new one from the covid ward but that would involve... going to the covid ward

xcheopis

Well, see, if you were here I could probably slip a few out of the building, since I pulled two bags out of inventory for having come open. (No, I didn't do that on purpose!)
I have a few extra surgical masks, too.

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

You could probably spritz the masks pretty good with some denatured alchohol or something and let them dry? Might test it on a piece of cloth or something first to find out if it still stinks after it's dry.

I also found an (opened) box of 11 n95s at the shop because I breathe sawdust professionally. I distributed them among my parents/grandmother because my Dr. brother had said hospitals and stuff couldn't take them if they were opened. My big respirator is honestly more comfortable, the n95s make my face sweat twice as much and make me feel like I can't breathe, where the acid gas/organic vapor approved rubber respirator is relatively comfortable (but I think i'd get some looks if i started wearing it out in public) and theoretically a lot easier to clean too.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
lol yeah, the n95 sweats

my uncle told me he went to home depot for a rotary union to repair his home plumbing, and my aunt gave him an n95 to wear inside. he's already a big, tall, red guy; he said people's eyes would widen seeing him coming, all sweaty and red, and had no problem maintaining proper distance lol

pixaal

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You could probably spritz the masks pretty good with some denatured alchohol or something and let them dry? Might test it on a piece of cloth or something first to find out if it still stinks after it's dry.

I also found an (opened) box of 11 n95s at the shop because I breathe sawdust professionally. I distributed them among my parents/grandmother because my Dr. brother had said hospitals and stuff couldn't take them if they were opened. My big respirator is honestly more comfortable, the n95s make my face sweat twice as much and make me feel like I can't breathe, where the acid gas/organic vapor approved rubber respirator is relatively comfortable (but I think i'd get some looks if i started wearing it out in public) and theoretically a lot easier to clean too.

The problem with changeable filter masks is you now have a possibly contaminated mask that HAS to be cleaned. The idea with an n95 is you throw it out. Obviously there's shortages which is making that easy clean up step no longer viable but that's the idea. The entire mask has to be considered contaminated if you wear it out you gotta clean it off (or I guess let it sit for a few days in a dmz if you have the space.) You gotta do the same if you want to reuse an n95 though.

sig by owlhawk911

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
these are strange and uncharted waters, me yobbers. arrr

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Slush Garbo posted:

these are strange and uncharted waters, me yobbers. arrr

Where did you get that n95 eyepatch?

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Where did you get that n95 eyepatch?

surprisingly, i found some at Ace Harrrrrrdware

Robot Made of Meat

Today I got the news that I'm going back to work Monday. Lots of rules and restrictions (we're not good at that where I work), but that's to be expected, and they've split our department in half, so each of us will work alternating weeks. The good thing about this is that we can get UC on the weeks we don't work, and it turns out I'm in the GOOD group of people (even though the less-than-good group is still pretty darn good).

So, a week of work (unless something goes wrong), and a week of furlough (unless something goes good). Rinse and repeat until . . . something.

Things could be worse.

Sending out love and hugs and meat-based robotty solidarity to all of you!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

kuskus

Chicago's mayor was riding around in a squad car in my neighborhood yelling at people who were out running to "go home." I think it's a PR stunt because we are allowed to be outside for exercise while social distancing... but I absolutely understand the sentiment and how critical it is that we all do our part.

If you have US postage stamps, consider mailing funny drawings to friends and family because the postal service is being excluded from bailouts and might not exist very soon! I am making some watercolor postcards.

My mom and I live a few hours apart and we had trained for the past year to have bees this year. She's older and I didn't want to bring anything viral to her so she installed the queen packages without me on Sunday. Beekeeping over FaceTime. Good news is, when this dies down, bees! :angel: and maybe honey and mead. And putting my mold making to use making really bizarre beeswax objects. Let me know what object you want in beeswax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

kuskus posted:

Chicago's mayor was riding around in a squad car in my neighborhood yelling at people who were out running to "go home." I think it's a PR stunt because we are allowed to be outside for exercise while social distancing... but I absolutely understand the sentiment and how critical it is that we all do our part.

If you have US postage stamps, consider mailing funny drawings to friends and family because the postal service is being excluded from bailouts and might not exist very soon! I am making some watercolor postcards.

My mom and I live a few hours apart and we had trained for the past year to have bees this year. She's older and I didn't want to bring anything viral to her so she installed the queen packages without me on Sunday. Beekeeping over FaceTime. Good news is, when this dies down, bees! :angel: and maybe honey and mead. And putting my mold making to use making really bizarre beeswax objects. Let me know what object you want in beeswax.

A fellow beekeeper! HP and I both keep bees; I'm doing it for honey and wax for candle and balm making. What are you going to do with your wax, candles?