Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Xik posted:

yeah buts it's stupid without the twerk tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the gtk dance is better known as the aristocrats

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mystes posted:

Is there a gtk 4 dance?

since we're linking videos that everyone should have seen already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8H4GKg-mYQ

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pube5Aynsls

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
Imagine you’re giving a presentation virtually to 1000 people and someone asks a question about nginx, a term you’re not familiar with. What do you do?

If you answered “engine x” or “avoid pronouncing it while answering the question”, then congratulations, you’re still employed!

If you answered “pronounce it like a racial slur”, then you’re now the laughing stock of a large multinational corporation and will probably never be put in a position of responsibility again.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

Imagine you’re giving a presentation virtually to 1000 people and someone asks a question about nginx, a term you’re not familiar with. What do you do?

If you answered “engine x” or “avoid pronouncing it while answering the question”, then congratulations, you’re still employed!

If you answered “pronounce it like a racial slur”, then you’re now the laughing stock of a large multinational corporation and will probably never be put in a position of responsibility again.

wait i've been pronouncing it naggin ex for all these years?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it’s pronounced /ŋɪŋks/, op

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dank nginx

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

you can’t not give more deets

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Beamed posted:

you can’t not give more deets

i assume transpose i and g

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Iirc there was a Qt 3 dance video too. I'm in the back of it somewhere.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

eat that toejam boy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
when i first saw nginx i thought it was pronounced en-geenks lol

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i thought it was win-x

matti
Mar 31, 2019

en jinx

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

how can you possibly pronounce nginx like a racial slur

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

go play outside Skyler posted:

how can you possibly pronounce nginx like a racial slur

Somehow, people will find a way.

For me, the moment when I realized people will be racist about anything was when I was informed of the etymology of calling donut sprinkles "jimmies". It had literally never occurred to me before that that people could be racist when discussing donut toppings but somehow they found a way

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

Somehow, people will find a way.

For me, the moment when I realized people will be racist about anything was when I was informed of the etymology of calling donut sprinkles "jimmies". It had literally never occurred to me before that that people could be racist when discussing donut toppings but somehow they found a way

that's not clearly true (or false) though

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jimmies-etymology/

i wouldn't use the term due to the connotation, but it sounds like a false etymology

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
did this nginx pronouncer actually just drop the slur as the world’s worst malapropism or what

because this story really makes it sound like they said “nigincks” and someone in the audience figuratively stood up and said “you sir are canceled”

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 11, 2020

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

something something hand beezy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

rjmccall posted:

did this nginx pronouncer actually just drop the slur as the world’s worst malapropism or what

because this story really makes it sound like they said “nigincks” and someone in the audience figuratively stood up and said “you sir are canceled”
same except “nguyen”

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

my first assumption was that it was "Injun X"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wow this all sounds very problematic op

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RFC2324 posted:

my first assumption was that it was "Injun X"

was it really.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Captain Foo posted:

was it really.

The mistake that was made, i didn't think that was the pronunciation.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

wow this all sounds very problematic op

lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

matthew's doing the lords work

Implementing support for advanced DPTF policy in Linux

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

*sees nginx chat*

...so how about that systemd haha am I right guys?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Skim Milk posted:

*sees nginx chat*

systemdeez gnuts

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Skim Milk posted:

*sees nginx chat*

its good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Agile Vector posted:

systemdeez gnuts

haha got'em

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

recently started moving servers to centos 8 and apparently networkmanager completely replaced the ancient network-scripts system

thankfully, the network manager cli tools aren't too bad and they have plenty of good examples in the man pages

oh wait, this is the desktop thread

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
more like notwork manager lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

el dorito posted:

thankfully, the network manager cli tools aren't too bad and they have plenty of good examples in the man pages

I have fond memories of the early days of nm, when the cli tools were practically nonexistent unless you wanted to do manual dbus poo poo. and the man page contained practically nothing other than the url of the online documentation, because obviously people only try to read network manager docs when their network is working properly.

did I say fond memories? I mean ptsd

pram
Jun 10, 2001
early network manager + dhcp + resolv gave me ptsd

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

early network manager is complete and utter disaster

there is a reason why nmcli seems to be the default now

I was really weighing whether to really give nmcli a chance after upgrading and I realized that, like systemd, I would have to learn this junk at some point so I might as well dive in

having said that, I would still prefer the insanity of network-scripts (imagine some new admin editing these files and slowly realizing that this was the redhat gold standard for decades) since I am more familiar with it but I'm coming around.

netplan is still trash

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have no witty retorts to any responses of "but what about configuration management" or "you should have used configuration management" or "I thought you used ansible"

this is a bare metal machine and I'm just trying it out... configuration managment can come later

I'm trying to get to sleep and already I feel like I need a quarantine drink

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

nm-applet doesn’t start at all for me, no errors or anything just doesn’t display anything at all. lately I just skip the middleman and go into nm-connection-editor (or whatever it’s called) directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLZ4Z8LpEE&t=743s