Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dias posted:

Trials of Mana looks kinda ugly but it feels pretty good. SD3 is one of my favorite games so I'm looking forward to that one.

Yeah, I was pretty pessimistic after how back the Secret of Mana remake was, but the demo has me really excited for it. I love SD3, and this feels like a great modern update of it.

The graphical style is kinda weird, though, that's true. It has really nice colors and environments and monsters, but the characters look a bit awkward. Like they tried to make them too realistic, when the original game was so stylized and cartoonish that it ends up looking like normal people wearing weird costumes.

The combat is great, though. It moves so much faster than the original, no more stopping every few seconds to watch the animation for a spell or special move. They totally redid the leveling system, which is nice because the old one was a super boring stat point assignment thing. It really feels like a modern take on the same material rather than a straight-up rehash, it's really nice to see Squenix putting more effort into their back catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Quick reminder just in case: All three were free on Epic sometime back, so if you've been collecting free games you might already have all three!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Akham Knight played way better on a SSD IIRC. and I played long after launch

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I expect I will put an hour into Far Cry 1, enjoy it as a historical experience (FPS design history is wild to me) and then drop it like a hot potato.
The best Far Cry were the ones on Xbox/Xbox360 :colbert:
No idea about the Wii one

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

So I have secure employment (for now) and I'm actually saving money due to no transport costs / not eating out. Talk me out of getting an Xbox Elite Controller instead of the standard one to replace my old 360 pad with drifty sticks

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
huh this sounds like a pretty cool idea

https://twitter.com/patrickewald/status/1248284830644580352

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Party Boat posted:

Talk me out of getting an Xbox Elite Controller instead of the standard one to replace my old 360 pad with drifty sticks
Is it actually better than the standard one in any way?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If you are set on getting an elite, make sure you’re aware that the elite version 2 came out last year or so and is across the board improved for the same price point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Party Boat posted:

So I have secure employment (for now) and I'm actually saving money due to no transport costs / not eating out. Talk me out of getting an Xbox Elite Controller instead of the standard one to replace my old 360 pad with drifty sticks

No, the Elite 2 owns

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The elite 2 is seriously great. It’s got a lot of heft to it, the paddles are great for letting you use a thumb stick and press buttons at the same time, and the build quality is just overall really good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
gently caress me if 180 dollars for a video controller isn't crazy money, though. It may be better than the regular ones, but is it three times the money better?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

gently caress me if 180 dollars for a video controller isn't crazy money, though. It may be better than the regular ones, but is it three times the money better?

Yeah

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Man, you know what I could get for 180$? I could get the complete boxed set of Battle Angel Alita manga and preorder that new Gears Tactics game. And I'd probably have a bit left over, enough to get a few cheap games from fanatical or something.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Begemot posted:

Yeah, I was pretty pessimistic after how back the Secret of Mana remake was, but the demo has me really excited for [Trials of Mana]. I love SD3, and this feels like a great modern update of it.

The combat is great, though. It moves so much faster than the original, no more stopping every few seconds to watch the animation for a spell or special move. They totally redid the leveling system, which is nice because the old one was a super boring stat point assignment thing. It really feels like a modern take on the same material rather than a straight-up rehash, it's really nice to see Squenix putting more effort into their back catalogue.

The thing that has me incredibly curious about the scope of this remake is that apparently there is now a) a NG+ and b) there is a tier 4 of classes in NG+, which implies that maybe they rescaled the bonus boss content/are giving you a reason to do a run with the characters you didn't before for more gameplay.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you are set on getting an elite, make sure you’re aware that the elite version 2 came out last year or so and is across the board improved for the same price point.

And the upcoming controller released with the Xbox Series X has improvements based on the elite controllers (but obviously not the whole package). It's a long wait until November though. I created a Steam collection titled "I NEED A CONTROLLER" and after quickly browsing through my library it already has 20 games it. Mostly fighting games and platformers.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Dear Capcom:

The game over sequence in RE2make where Claire's throat get ripped out by a zom is about 5 seconds too long. Next time it happens hopefully hammering the buttons will let me skip that sadistic poo poo

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've just beaten The Witness. The final area just about made me want to die but somehow I made it through. I am fairly pleased with myself that in 28 hours I didn't look up a single hint or solution. But I should also temper that with the fact that I left a lot of loose ends. Some areas only half-beaten, a couple optional ones never started and a whole mechanic that I never fully figured out, which also blocked me in some other places. And then there are also the black pillars and the maps which are obviously A Thing.

I'd love to go back and solve the rest of it, but I also definitely need a break. And I have a tendency to not actually return to a game once beaten despite wanting to, so who knows.

Genuinely great game, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, it kind of is. I’ve spent more on my PS controllers over the last three years because the build quality is rear end and parts keep breaking. This is the kind of controller that’ll last a long, long while. Feels really nice, too, and you can customize a lot of aspects like trigger sensitivity or the cap on the thumb sticks. The weird circular dpad with the segments rules, too, if you play fighting games it’s a game changer.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Trickyblackjack posted:

Dear Capcom:

The game over sequence in RE2make where Claire's throat get ripped out by a zom is about 5 seconds too long. Next time it happens hopefully hammering the buttons will let me skip that sadistic poo poo
You Died

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, it kind of is. I’ve spent more on my PS controllers over the last three years because the build quality is rear end and parts keep breaking. This is the kind of controller that’ll last a long, long while. Feels really nice, too, and you can customize a lot of aspects like trigger sensitivity or the cap on the thumb sticks. The weird circular dpad with the segments rules, too, if you play fighting games it’s a game changer.
My old 360 controller has lasted me over ten years now, even though the sticks are starting to drift a little, so I'm not sure you needed to invest in the Elite version for that, but point taken. I definitely get paying a little bit more for quality and durability.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Glare Seethe posted:

I've just beaten The Witness. The final area just about made me want to die but somehow I made it through. I am fairly pleased with myself that in 28 hours I didn't look up a single hint or solution. But I should also temper that with the fact that I left a lot of loose ends. Some areas only half-beaten, a couple optional ones never started and a whole mechanic that I never fully figured out, which also blocked me in some other places. And then there are also the black pillars and the maps which are obviously A Thing.

I'd love to go back and solve the rest of it, but I also definitely need a break. And I have a tendency to not actually return to a game once beaten despite wanting to, so who knows.

Genuinely great game, though.

About the pillars. Did you find anything related to their purpose? If you ever go back to the game, this is an aspect of the game that's definitely worth finding out; albeit you don't really have to be completionist about it because that may prove to be a chore rather than fun)

About the ending. The game has two of those, so it's something worth exploring further.

It's definitely one of my favorite games of the last years by the way :)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm getting the itch to re-install The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim after almost 5 years since I last played. In addition to the original, I apparently also have the Special Edition, but I don't see any "Workshop" section on that page. It might be a silly question (or better asked in the Skyrim modding thread), but is the Special Edition mod-capable at all? Assuming so, are the differences between the two versions enough that finding SE-compatible mods would be more difficult?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm getting the itch to re-install The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim after almost 5 years since I last played. In addition to the original, I apparently also have the Special Edition, but I don't see any "Workshop" section on that page. It might be a silly question (or better asked in the Skyrim modding thread), but is the Special Edition mod-capable at all? Assuming so, are the differences between the two versions enough that finding SE-compatible mods would be more difficult?

Yeah the special edition is the one everyone uses now and is very mod friendly. Don't use Steam workshop though, and check in with the good folks here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787350 It's SA's very own Skyrim modding thread and it's still very active considering the age of the game.

e: LOL I see you had the thread hyperlinked in your own post but yeah, they're super friendly and helpful and can probably point you in the direction of a good mod guide or two depending one what kind of stuff you're looking for.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

If I want a fun Tycoon game, should I grab Megaquarium or Two Point Hospital? Leaning towards the latter.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Yeah the special edition is the one everyone uses now and is very mod friendly. Don't use Steam workshop though, and check in with the good folks here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787350 It's SA's very own Skyrim modding thread and it's still very active considering the age of the game.
It is, however expressly not mod-compatible with anything made for the older 32-bit of Skyrim, so any mods that have not been updated for Special Edition (which is a ton of the really good ones) will not be available to you. Fair warning.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

AbstractNapper posted:

About the pillars. Did you find anything related to their purpose?

Not sure. I found two puzzle solutions that looked like maps - one in a cave in the mountain and another in a cave underground near the tree temple. I know these can be applied to a puzzle in the area under the windmill, but that was one place that I didn't complete, so that's about as far as I got.

quote:

About the ending. The game has two of those, so it's something worth exploring further.

I imagine that's to do with the one puzzle at the very end that was unlit... and I think I can guess how to light it up but I also think that probably means completing almost everything else.

quote:

It's definitely one of my favorite games of the last years by the way :)

Yeah I can see why! I thought the voice acting was a bit iffy at times but that's about my only complaint (other than a couple of irritating puzzles, but well). The island design especially is wonderful, just a great place to wander and tinker and fiddle with puzzles.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Cardiovorax posted:

It is, however expressly not mod-compatible with anything made for the older 32-bit of Skyrim, so any mods that have not been updated for Special Edition (which is a ton of the really good ones) will not be available to you. Fair warning.

That's what I was afraid of, but on the other hand, I've always shyed away from installing dozens of mods and have forgotten most of what I used to use anyway.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Deep Rock Galactic is the bee's knees. I'm very pleased with how Risk of Rain 2 and Deep Rock Galactic have been progressing during their Early Access phases. Very nice.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Glare Seethe posted:

I imagine that's to do with the one puzzle at the very end that was unlit... and I think I can guess how to light it up but I also think that probably means completing almost everything else.

If you want a hint about the alternate ending, the speedrun record for achieving it (no glitches or tricky poo poo) is 1 minute and 25 seconds. It's sort of tangentially related to the black pillars, too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

That's a cool group of devs, at least the ones I've heard of! I was wondering what the Dusk guy was teasing on Twitter the other day and now I know

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

If I want a fun Tycoon game, should I grab Megaquarium or Two Point Hospital? Leaning towards the latter.

Haven’t played mega aquarium, but two point hospital is great, and I had a lot of fun with it. Also, the radio stations are some of the best content of this type I’ve ever encountered- I haven’t played for a while, but I still get the “two point raaaaaaaaadio” jingle stuck in my head.

I think I played the base game for free on Xbox game pass, then bought it with all the DLC on steam because I liked it so much.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

END ME SCOOB posted:

The thing that has me incredibly curious about the scope of this remake is that apparently there is now a) a NG+ and b) there is a tier 4 of classes in NG+, which implies that maybe they rescaled the bonus boss content/are giving you a reason to do a run with the characters you didn't before for more gameplay.

From what I've been able to gather NG+ is a misunderstanding of "after beating the final boss you can continue from your last save with new content." It's not starting from the beginning, it's bonus stuff that requires clearing the normal game first.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Gotcha. I was basing that off this recent incredibly poorly phrased tweet, in that case:

https://twitter.com/ManaGame/status/1246785021563846656

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm not a mathomologist but if there's a tier 4 of classes wouldn't there have to be 8

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Nah. 6 protagonist choices who formerly had 2 tiers of light/dark class change choices. Now it's three.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh did they flatten it out to just light or just dark? in the snes version it was a tree where you could end up with light + light, light + dark, dark + light, and dark + dark

adding another layer onto that binary tree would make it 8 possible combos

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Oh, ohhhhh, I see what you're saying. No, far as I know the old tree is all in there and I hadn't run the math in my head. You're right. Maybe T4 is just binary, gently caress you? They are not doing the best messaging on this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The T4 are a hybrid of that character's light or dark classes. Which in some cases sounds great and in others sounds lackluster but we'll have to wait to see how they're actually implemented.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bruceski posted:

The T4 are a hybrid of that character's light or dark classes. Which in some cases sounds great and in others sounds lackluster but we'll have to wait to see how they're actually implemented.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how all the classes play differently with the new battle system. Especially ones that are really different like Duran's light side getting shields or Carlie's necromancer class that summons monsters to fight for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Batman Arkham Asylum: oh! It's Shadow of Mordor combat, but earlier. I like that combat, so this is awesome. I almost wish the atmosphere weren't so World of Darkness-flavored gothic grunge, but it's executed so well I can't be mad. This entire asylum is hosed up and I love love love it. Obligatory shoutout to how good the VAs are, as of course they are. :allears:

Bonus: I especially enjoyed the camera's lingering shot on batman's package before it drifted up to linger over his perfect pecs