Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Blaze Dragon posted:

We already knew they wouldn't be, I mean, the title straight up says "Season One". That has a meaning. Plus, it's better this way, this long of a series needs breaks to properly give animators time to do their job. Rushing that gives bad results.

They wouldn't be rushing, the manga has been over for years at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Anora posted:

They wouldn't be rushing, the manga has been over for years at this point.

I don't think you fully understood my post. I meant that rushing the animation would hurt the final product. Animation takes time, and even great animators can give some really bad work if they don't have that time. It's better to have a break and allow animation to be completed with time to spare.

I hope said break isn't too long though. It says 2020 so it'll be at worst a year, not that big, but still.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

With any luck, it'll be the spring cour in April

Still six months though, which should be plenty of time, but you can never really tell with animation

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Small season two PV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBBePKQTWFE

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Finally finished this up, and well, i still sure like it a lot! My timing is pretty good because the new season starts on April 6, 2020 (tomorrow) although i'm not positive that's when it will be on crunchyroll.

Also, during one of the last couple episodes Yuki goes to Tohru's room and The Hat is sitting right on the bed and:

me: "he's gonna see it!"
hat: *falls off bed*
me: :mad:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

a kitten posted:

Finally finished this up, and well, i still sure like it a lot! My timing is pretty good because the new season starts on April 6, 2020 (tomorrow) although i'm not positive that's when it will be on crunchyroll.

Normally they're very quick on the subs so probably tomorow as well. Can't wait!

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Very cute first episode back. I'm definitely gonna cry a whole lot this season, I can feel it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad that Yuki's main character beat at this point isn't his trauma, or his princeliness. No, it's his incredible ability to be a magnet for every weirdo around. Poor guy, but he seems happier now at least.

Also the new opening and ending are pretty lame, but at least the series is still good.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Sad after a real strong second ending

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I found the ED visuals really good, but I like the OP song more

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Well thanks for making me anxious for the future again, show. I graduated from uni ages ago! :argh:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tohru blowing her nose is just so hilarious and adorable. hweeee~

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm sure we're going to find out more about their history during the Bad Times but Yuki needs to be more appreciative of his dumb big brother. He's over the top but seems to be a good guy deep down who loves his little bro.

We better get more Mine, she rocks.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I've only caught up to the series last week. It didn't resonate with me as strongly as with others but it's still an amazing series. Kyo and Akito confrontation from a few episodes ago was great, so tense and painful. It's a shame there's not much of a discussion here, especially this season.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

macabresca posted:

I've only caught up to the series last week. It didn't resonate with me as strongly as with others but it's still an amazing series. Kyo and Akito confrontation from a few episodes ago was great, so tense and painful. It's a shame there's not much of a discussion here, especially this season.

Yeah, the thread kind of died. It's a shame, since the season has been pretty good so far. I'd say Yunyun's School Adventures was the only episode so far I found genuinely boring, since it had a heavy focus on a character I had no reason to care about and gave us no real new info on Yuki, other than that I've greatly enjoyed everything, though I haven't watched the latest ep yet.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I keep trying to get caught up, but for various personal reasons i'm mostly avoiding stories with certain themes right now. This particular story, probably because i really like it, just causes me to sob for pretty much the entire 22 minute runtime regardless of what's actually going on. Which, with well everything going on has caused me to slip further and further behind on it.

Looking forward to eventually catching up though.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

a kitten posted:

I keep trying to get caught up, but for various personal reasons i'm mostly avoiding stories with certain themes right now. This particular story, probably because i really like it, just causes me to sob for pretty much the entire 22 minute runtime regardless of what's actually going on. Which, with well everything going on has caused me to slip further and further behind on it.

Looking forward to eventually catching up though.

Yeah, understandable. I've been fortunate enough not to have such hard experiences like the cast of froob, which means I can follow the show without anything triggering me but I also feel like it's kinda affecting my enjoyment of the show because I appreciate it intellectually but not emotionally, so to speak. And, well, froob's core are emotions. The only time I got teary was Arisa's backstory

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, the thread kind of died. It's a shame, since the season has been pretty good so far. I'd say Yunyun's School Adventures was the only episode so far I found genuinely boring, since it had a heavy focus on a character I had no reason to care about and gave us no real new info on Yuki, other than that I've greatly enjoyed everything, though I haven't watched the latest ep yet.

The latest episode was pretty good! Just a perfect mixture of funny, heartwarming and sad (and Shigure being a creep, I'm not sure where does that fit)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm glad my memory of Furuba's shot to hell, because it lets me experience it all over again with fresh eyes, and it's been a lot of fun.

Still want to punch Akito in the throat though.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Holy poo poo Yuki's mother is the worst.

Ayame is the loving best though. :allears:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Holy poo poo Yuki's mother is the worst.

She isn't the worst, that character has yet to appear, although I think they've been referred to at least once.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

She isn't the worst, that character has yet to appear, although I think they've been referred to at least once.

... There is someone worse than Akito?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OddObserver posted:

... There is someone worse than Akito?

The only thing I can say without going deep into spoilertown is "Yes."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yuki's mum is terrible but I do love that she's so drat spineless, the only reason she could lord over Yuki was because Yuki was too terrified to talk back; Ayame had none of her poo poo and she had no way whatsoever to talk back to him.

Ayame's the best is what I'm trying to say.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Oh, great, another fun and uplifting episode, just what I needed!

:qq:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

macabresca posted:

Oh, great, another fun and uplifting episode, just what I needed!

:qq:

The series is ultimately about broken people eventually managing to start making the first steps towards healing (and the end of that process is so far off that we won't see it), so that train ain't stopping anytime soon.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I know, I'm just coping with feels with sarcasm.

Which now that I think about it is not something that any of the characters are doing. I've read somewhere that sarcasm is not as common in Japan as in the west. That's interesting.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
This latest episode was great. Good to see Tohru taking initiative, and just a pleasure to watch all around.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

CrazySalamander posted:

This latest episode was great. Good to see Tohru taking initiative, and just a pleasure to watch all around.
My favourite part of the second season is how Tohru started taking action after the encounter with Akito.
Also all the scenes with Tohru and best boy (Kyo).

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

This week's episode was really fun, it feels like it's been a while since we got one like that for the main group. I might just be biased because I really like Kyoto though.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
The deer was very cute. I recall vaguely that the deer is typical for this area but I wonder is it normal to feed them? There is one park in my city famous for squirrels and you can see DO NOT FEED THE SQUIRRELS signs all over the place.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nara has the park famous for its deer and it's a quick ride over. They've been considered sacred for over a thousand years and as such they're accustomed to humans.

quote:

According to local folklore, Sika deer from this area were considered sacred due to a visit from Takemikazuchi-no-mikoto, one of the four gods of Kasuga Shrine. He was said to have been invited from Kashima Shrine in present-day Ibaraki Prefecture, and appeared on Mount Mikasa (also known as Mount Wakakusa) riding a white deer. From that point, the deer were considered divine and sacred by both Kasuga Shrine and Kōfuku-ji. Killing one of these sacred deer was a capital offense punishable by death up until 1637, the last recorded date of a breach of that law.

They sell special crackers for feeding the deer, and over the generations they've learned to bow when asking for food, which is pretty adorable. They can be aggressive though, to the point where they'll start going through your bags and pockets for those sweet, sweet crackers. I made the mistake of putting them in my rear jersey pocket and once they figured out where they were they kept digging into my back, and one fella kept chasing me around the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkMs7FqDNBE

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Ah, alright, thanks! These signs are kinda cute, lol

I guess it's better to feed them with special crackers than random poo poo visitors might have on them

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Welp, this week's episode was brought to you by the words attempted murder. They really want you to hate Akito and most of the Soma parents, don't they?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rudoku posted:

They really want you to hate Akito and most of the Soma parents, don't they?

Souma Parents Score:

Good: Hiro, Kisa, Kagura, Ritsu

Bad: Yuki/Ayame, Kyo, Rin, [CLASSIFIED]

Somewhere in-between: Momiji (his mom hurt him a lot, but she was also not really sane at the time, and his dad clearly cares for him but is caught in the middle)

Unknown: Haru, Shigure, Hattori, Kureno

It's fairly evenly spread out numerically, but since Yuki and Kyo are more central to the narrative their bad parents loom larger.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I was just thinking 'somebody give Rin a hug, pls' and Tohru did not dissapoint :unsmith:

Akito's hatred of women is interesting. It's been somewhat alluded to earlier but I thought that he just specifically hates Tohru, or beat Kisa to punish Hiro. But now he went all out.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Paracelsus posted:

Souma Parents Score:

Good: Hiro, Kisa, Kagura, Ritsu

Bad: Yuki/Ayame, Kyo, Rin, [CLASSIFIED]

Somewhere in-between: Momiji (his mom hurt him a lot, but she was also not really sane at the time, and his dad clearly cares for him but is caught in the middle)

Unknown: Haru, Shigure, Hattori, Kureno

It's fairly evenly spread out numerically, but since Yuki and Kyo are more central to the narrative their bad parents loom larger.

At least Kyo's lovely dad was replaced with the awesome Shisho. Think of the hilarity if Hanajima ends up being his step-foster-mom after graduation.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
There’s something inherently sickening when someone is terrified of you enough to cower because of things in their past. That moment with Tohru in the door sent me back to that door again with them looking at me and seeing someone else.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
The episode where someone finally knocks Akito the gently caress out is going to be the most satisfying anime moment of all time.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm sad that we won't get to see evil Tohru in real life instead of just in the imaginations of the crazy girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
:same: