Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah.... he really took his victories in the Civil War and then applied that hard against American Indians.

Well, he won didn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Well, he won didn't he?

Did you take a pic of your other cat for the re-reg? Brilliance, if so. :)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

Well, he won didn't he?

I dislike this take.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

this ain't Sherman y'all

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

madeintaipei posted:

Did you take a pic of your other cat for the re-reg? Brilliance, if so. :)

Same cat, but i changed my name since it's Easter.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

William "Tecumseh For Some Reason" Sherman: Problematic Fave

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

shame on an IGA posted:

this ain't Sherman y'all

it's his boss, before he got all fat and presidential

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Phanatic posted:

"Many in the acquisitions community question the efficacy of naming a class of ship before the contract is awarded, several Navy officials told USNI News."

What the hell difference does whether the contract has been awarded yet or not have to do with the "efficacy" of naming a class of ship?

because ship names are a useful form of political currency

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

quote:

His 1862 triumphs at Fort Henry and Fort Donelson in western Tennessee won him the nickname “Unconditional Surrender” Grant, and placed him before the public eye. However, when a surprise attack by Confederate forces at the Battle of Shiloh yielded devastating casualties during the first day's fighting, President Abraham Lincoln received several demands for Grant's removal from command. Nevertheless, Lincoln refused, stating, “I can’t spare this man. He fights.” The following day, Grant's Army - bolstered by troops under Maj. Gen. Don Carlos Buell - fended off Confederate advances and ultimately won the day.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kind of impressive that comms were fast enough that you could have a political debate based on the first day of a battle. Like the news would have to be generated ("oh poo poo this is bad"), transmitted, disseminated, and then the guys it got disseminated to would have to meet up (maybe in the night or early the next morning) to have the discussion.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

aphid_licker posted:

Kind of impressive that comms were fast enough that you could have a political debate based on the first day of a battle. Like the news would have to be generated ("oh poo poo this is bad"), transmitted, disseminated, and then the guys it got disseminated to would have to meet up (maybe in the night or early the next morning) to have the discussion.
I think the ACW is the first war to happen in more or less 'real time' both for the news-consuming public and the politicians/military staff in Washington/Richmond.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

ACW made use of all sorts of new tech. The telegraph was just one of them

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Speaking of navy and dumb bullshit, did you know that US Navy IS dumb bullshit? Here's what an army guy has to say:
https://twitter.com/luke_j_obrien/status/1247872817376485378

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

McNally posted:

That's a really odd description of the Overland Campaign.

You have an odd concept of what was achieved in the Overland campaign if you think that it wasn't a successful campaign. I suppose if you blindly use a single metric, casualties, as your yard stick you might, just maybe, have a point. It's not a very useful point though.

Prior to the overland campaign Grant won something like a dozen (more?) major battles in a row. Some of them, like the battles leading up to the Vicksburg siege, with just amazing levels of maneuver and insight into his opponents options.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

JcDent posted:

Speaking of navy and dumb bullshit, did you know that US Navy IS dumb bullshit? Here's what an army guy has to say:

I've seen similar papers by air force officers to claim the Army was unnecessary.

It's a variation on the same dumb argument as the USMC is unnecessary.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think the point was that the Overland campaign was a series of tactical defeats/draws, but an overall strategic victory. Grant was the one who was able to hold the Army of the Potomac together through some very serious morale setbacks/problems AND maintain Lincoln’s confidence in his abilities.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

aphid_licker posted:

quote:

The Confederates had surprised them and won the day, pushing the federals back two miles to Pittsburgh Landing. It was insanity to stay on the west side of the river and face the Rebels again. The only way to save the army was to cross over by riverboats at night in this miserable rain or disaster would come tomorrow, April 7, 1862. Only a madman would stay and fight.
Sherman reached Grant and said to him, “Well, Grant, we’ve had the devil’s own day, haven’t we?”
Grant looked up. “Yes,” he said, “Lick ‘em tomorrow, though.”
That was it. That was all that needed to be said. Sherman looked at Grant and walked off to his horse. In only a few words, Sherman understood completely what Grant intended to do: Attack.
If there is one battle and one element of that battle that demonstrates Gen. Grant’s genius, tenacity and decisiveness in war, it was that moment in the rain under a tree. Grant knew the Confederate commanders would never expect the Union to attack after having been nearly routed on Sunday, April 6.

Bloody Shiloh: ‘Lick’em tomorrow though!’

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The overland campaign was at first blush a bloody disaster in the papers of the day, but what it really did was cost resources Lee count afford to expend and take away options Lee couldn't afford to lose. It's instructional in how good generals focus on winning wars, not battles.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

JcDent posted:

I don't know when this was written, but recent actual-shooting experience by the USS Mason successfully defending itself from 9 missiles fired in 3 separate attacks kind of contradicts his main argument of "antiship missiles exist, therefore ships are obsolete".

Bullets exist, therefore soldiers are obsolete

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.defenseone.com/news/2020/04/the-d-brief-april-09-2020/164486/

china found the best way to neutralize american carrier air power i guess

also

https://news.usni.org/2020/04/08/navy-leaders-sink-ship-names-proposed-in-secnav-modlys-last-days

expunge this man's influence from the system

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 9, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From reading the wiki, what are the chances that it actually defended itself vs all the missiles fall into the water on their own?

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

powderific posted:

From reading the wiki, what are the chances that it actually defended itself vs all the missiles fall into the water on their own?

We’ll never know

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think the ACW is the first war to happen in more or less 'real time' both for the news-consuming public and the politicians/military staff in Washington/Richmond.

I'd say that the first war of that sort was the Crimean War. From Wikipedia:

After the French extended the telegraph to the coast of the Black Sea in late 1854, the news reached London in two days. When the British laid an underwater cable to the Crimean peninsula in April 1855, news reached London in a few hours. The daily news reports energised public opinion, which brought down the Aberdeen government and carried Lord Palmerston into office as prime minister.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

quote:

Sherman dismounted and approached his commander, Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant, who had a cigar in his mouth. Called “Cum” from his cadet days

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

That's supposed to be "Cump."

W.T. married his step sister, so he was way ahead of the curve.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Old mate secdefnav or whatever seems like a bit of a wanker but naming a class of ships to encourage naming of ships with emotion (Attack, Revenge, Renown, Gay Viking) sounds pretty good.

Although in this day and age, I guess it would also end up with names like "Stand Up Meeting, Inside The Loop and the Doing the Needful"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Although in this day and age, I guess it would also end up with names like "Stand Up Meeting, Inside The Loop and the Doing the Needful"
I like it.

The USS Leveraged Core Synergies has a good ring to it. Especially when sailing in concert with USS Reprioritized Action Items and USS Key Metrics

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Murgos posted:

I like it.

The USS Leveraged Core Synergies has a good ring to it. Especially when sailing in concert with USS Reprioritized Action Items and USS Key Metrics

USS Per My Previous Email

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just make a USS Powerpoint and be done with it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Murgos posted:

You have an odd concept of what was achieved in the Overland campaign if you think that it wasn't a successful campaign. I suppose if you blindly use a single metric, casualties, as your yard stick you might, just maybe, have a point. It's not a very useful point though.

Prior to the overland campaign Grant won something like a dozen (more?) major battles in a row. Some of them, like the battles leading up to the Vicksburg siege, with just amazing levels of maneuver and insight into his opponents options.

I didn't say nor did I mean to imply that the Overland Campaign wasn't successful. I was saying that Grant going from victory to victory in that campaign was an odd way to describe it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

came in here for this one, but i'll throw in USS Concurrent Development

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've a dumb observation for the thread:

boy, America is something else when it comes to force projection, huh?

You have carrier battle groups. More Amphibious assault ships than most nations have destroyers. The only air fleet on earth that has enough heavy lift and tanker aircraft for its size. Strategic bombers. And a string of bases around the world.

Got a question re those bases, especially those island bases. Are they American exclusive? Do other allies get to use them generally, or is that entirely contingent on America approving of whatever that ally is doing? Does anybody else on earth have a similar network of bases?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

USS Power Point nuclear ballistic missile armed boomer with a motto of "USS Power Point and be done with it" is not the worst of the ship name motto combos.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

USS This Is Your New #1 Priority

USS Mandatory Diversity Training

USS Strategic De-Acquisition

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
USS Stupid and USS Naive

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

priznat posted:

USS Stupid and USS Naive

We're brainstorming warship names, not barracks ships.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've a dumb observation for the thread:

boy, America is something else when it comes to force projection, huh?

You have carrier battle groups. More Amphibious assault ships than most nations have destroyers. The only air fleet on earth that has enough heavy lift and tanker aircraft for its size. Strategic bombers. And a string of bases around the world.

Got a question re those bases, especially those island bases. Are they American exclusive? Do other allies get to use them generally, or is that entirely contingent on America approving of whatever that ally is doing? Does anybody else on earth have a similar network of bases?

As the saying goes (attributable to Churchill?) - There are no eternal friends or eternal enemies, only eternal interests. You let others into your bases based upon that axiom. The US has the most extensive string of bases but most significant powers have bases in areas of interest to them. You can see the cause of some regional conflicts based upon where bases are or being set up.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

USS Let's Everyone Reprioritize

USS Conflict Of Interest

USS How About We Make Today Your Last Day

USS Impending Layoffs

USS Right-Sizing Consultant

USS Independent Oversight Committee

USS Inspectors General

USS Well, Actually

USS Email Read Receipt

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
USS contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Murgos posted:

I like it.

Now this is a Task Force Team Building For Shared Values I can get behind. As long as it visits the new Okinawa Base "Impacted Stakeholders" for the Marines aboard.