Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

veni veni veni posted:

It has a pretty distinct backwards difficulty curve. Volga is bar none the hardest part, or only hard part of the game tbh. Even on normal it's not a very hard game by the halfway point. By the time you finish the desert you are pretty much a walking arsenal.

Yeah, I am noticing that the game is getting a bit easier now that I have received more upgrades for my weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I suck at the stealth in this. It is a little different than Metro 2033 and Last Light in that the stealth areas in those games were sort of like a puzzle. Every bandit camp I have gotten to in this, I can stealth like 2 guys and then everyone is on high alert.

I did manage to complete the church part stealthily though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Half of Volga’s difficulty is the loving boat.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Just finished Volga. So it seems that the stuff that they want you to stealth are much easier than the bandit camps, so there is that. Im digging this game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If it’s part of your thinking of getting annoyed at failing stealth as I recall the generic bandit camps in the Volga don’t count toward any morality points. Faction outposts for the Volga and the other areas do though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Im finishing up the desert and I pretty much hated this map. The bunker section was nice, but these maps could stand to be quite a bit smaller. There is just way too much empty space.

Also, at times, I feel like I am playing Fallout instead of Metro. The whole weapon degradation thing doesn't help that.

But, I do love the combat, it feels appropriately solid as long as you aren't using the Tikhar

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked the desert personally, but it's the most divisive part of the game. It's spread out but there is a lot of cool stuff to find out there, and I liked how you really feel like you are out in the middle of butt loving nowhere. There's nothing else like it after that if it makes you feel any better. the rest of the game ranges from pretty linear to very linear.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah Volga and the Desert were my favorite parts of the main campaign.

I also agree with Sam’s Story feeling unpolished. The level geometry was rough, a lot of magic invisible barriers and floating/incomplete decoration that was copy-pasted. It was a fun DLC and I liked having a PC who talked and had personality, but it could have used a little more time in the oven.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Just finished the Taiga level and I kind of hated it. So for Volga, has been the best level. But as a whole, I think I would rate this on the bottom of the pile. Last Light is still my favorite, followed by 2033, then this.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Yeah that's exactly what felt too. Still enjoyed playing it, but shortcomings where very visible.

I am desperately waiting for the next RTX gen so I can replay Metro and Control.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ok, so I finished it with the good ending. There was some classic Metro gameplay in that last level, but I could have done with it being much shorter.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

enhanced edition with more Raytracing is coming for PC an current gen consoles

https://www.metrothegame.com/news/the-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-announced-plus-more-details-on-our-ambitious-gen-9-console-upgrades

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DLSS 2.0 is big too, it currently has the crappy original version of DLSS

you love to see it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I love how in the very first train scene after the tutorial and intro mission, if you bother to go talk to Idiot and Sam, Sam is like, "This is great! This is all going to work out, we're heroes!" and Idiot begins a very long and articulate speech that boils down to, "We are Russians. This story will never have a happy ending."

Apparently I picked a terrible time to replay the main game and DLC though since DLSS 2.0 support is a big upgrade. Anyone know when it's coming out?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
maybe the bastard gun won’t suck so much in the enhanced edition

actually, i think half the weapons would be more viable if they tone down the overheating a tad and let you clean weapons in the field.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Giving the game another go and tbh the open world parts are still unnecessary and kill a lot of it for me. When it forces itself back into linear areas it's great, but it's a whole lot of whatever besides that

e: I'm still going to be too bad at stealth to get the good ending though lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 2, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bad take. The three big stalker style maps connect highly linear areas. The church, prison ship, canyon, rail loading terminal, and virtually all of Taiga are laid out just like a linear map. Volga and Caspian both feature linear bunker complexes with scripted gates. The big maps just add some free traversal and let you choose what order you do things in to a small extent. Even then the objective system always tells you where to go to advance the plot.

Every other map in the game is a corridor with scripted events.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arglebargle III posted:

Bad take. The three big stalker style maps connect highly linear areas. The church, prison ship, canyon, rail loading terminal, and virtually all of Taiga are laid out just like a linear map. Volga and Caspian both feature linear bunker complexes with scripted gates. The big maps just add some free traversal and let you choose what order you do things in to a small extent. Even then the objective system always tells you where to go to advance the plot.

Every other map in the game is a corridor with scripted events.

Right, I'd rather it just literally be linear instead and cut out the traversal

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

False.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's worth noting that almost no space is wasted and the open areas are just as curated as the straight linear stuff. With maybe a couple of minor exceptions. If you see a landmark off in the distance there will be something worthwhile, whether it's some interesting NPC interactions, sub stories, or just cool rear end set pieces and even scripted events to stumble upon, that are so well integrated into the gameplay people argue online about whether or not they are actually scripted. I found it one of the funnest games to explore I have ever played. Just the mood, the atmosphere and the payoffs if you care about the world and story at all.

I could not imagine exodus without the open areas. They add so much to make it feel like a real journey across the country and sell the experience.

There's also nothing forcing you to engage with the open stuff, the game gives you the main mission right off the bat, but I would highly recommend against doing it because there is a ton of context, not to mention tons of great weapons attachments and upgrades you'll miss.

It's wild to me that people dog on the open areas because they are so well done. There none of the stereotypical open world fluff. Everything to find is unique. it's loving great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

the good ending is very easy to get. if a faction seems like there might be some moral gray area in killing them just try and take them out non lethal but don't sweat killing a good chunk of them. Also try to help NPCs wit their requests. There's only a few and you'll probably do them just via exploring.

Also the bad ending is way more interesting and weird anyways.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Why hasn't a new series been proposed for Metro DC, where Washington DC Metro is embroiled in race wars, class wars, incest cannibals and religious inquisitions?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I really hated driving around in the desert but I liked the other hubs ok. Also the game to me does shine the most back in its very linear spaces.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the open sections are so curated and dense with interesting things to see and find that they really don't feel like "open world" content by other games' much more bland standards. I wish they had stuck to that formula and the open sections comprised more of the game, although the third and fourth chapters are very good in their own way.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dunite posted:

Why hasn't a new series been proposed for Metro DC, where Washington DC Metro is embroiled in race wars, class wars, incest cannibals and religious inquisitions?

You mean Fallout 3?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Volga has the boat and Caspian has the truck and I can definitely see those dragging down the whole experience.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sam's Story is hilarious in Russian, because you have American characters speaking perfect colloquial English to each other in the most Normalni American Guyovitch accent imaginable.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Dunite posted:

They would prefer to portray the Metro series in DC in an apocalyptic future, not a Washington DC based on the present times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

veni veni veni posted:

the good ending is very easy to get. if a faction seems like there might be some moral gray area in killing them just try and take them out non lethal but don't sweat killing a good chunk of them. Also try to help NPCs wit their requests. There's only a few and you'll probably do them just via exploring.

Also the bad ending is way more interesting and weird anyways.

Cool hopefully I don't gently caress it up but if I do it's no big deal lol

quote:

Sam's Story is hilarious in Russian, because you have American characters speaking perfect colloquial English to each other in the most Normalni American Guyovitch accent imaginable.

Lol that owns

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Turnabout is fair play I suppose because Sam is supposed to speak appalling Russian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dixRIsgHKxc

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just realized in Sam's Story the narration is peppered with English words not for style, but because Sam doesn't know certain technical vocabulary in Russian.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I've thrown a single can where every enemy in the level didn't just zero in on me instead. Also Anna's hair bugged out and is permanently gray lol, guess the game's stressful :v:

Having fun other than that but lol stealth isn't happening at all with that and stealth knockouts just alerting the people in the room now, but I guess that's fair for how strong it was before. Weird how little health you have on normal though; it feels about equivalent to Ranger Hardcore in 2033

e: Well the game just corrupted my quicksave and reset my progress to the last chapter lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 16, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think I've thrown a single can where every enemy in the level didn't just zero in on me instead. Also Anna's hair bugged out and is permanently gray lol, guess the game's stressful :v:

Having fun other than that but lol stealth isn't happening at all with that and stealth knockouts just alerting the people in the room now, but I guess that's fair for how strong it was before. Weird how little health you have on normal though; it feels about equivalent to Ranger Hardcore in 2033

e: Well the game just corrupted my quicksave and reset my progress to the last chapter lmao

The Quicksave only system is definitely the worst aspect of Exodus imo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Quicksave only system is definitely the worst aspect of Exodus imo

It's actually what made me put it down when the game bugged out, gave me the bad ending for an area and my saves wouldn't let me go back to before it bugged out. I will never complete this game.

It's very pretty, though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Enhanced Edition is launching on May 6th for PC, the new consoles have to wait a bit more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbpZCSf4_Yk

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 28, 2021

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Dang it, give me that piss 5

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Enhanced Edition is out now on PC, consoles get it on June 18th

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1390322204227907584

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Just installed this and looking forward to another run through the game—this time on a 3080 with everything pretty.

And the fact that this is a new library item with its own achievements is really scratching that part of my man-child brain that wants to unlock more cheevos. :getin:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Looks good so far, have stuff on RT/quality settings (including DLSS) on a 2070 super and it's doing ~60 at 1440. Honestly I wonder if they changed up the engine some, I've only been in a couple gunfights so far but they seem to handle better. It's been a while, maybe just my memory of it being clunky is blurring with the other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

repiv posted:

Enhanced Edition is out now on PC, consoles get it on June 18th

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1390322204227907584

Excellent. I am ready.