Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mastershakeman posted:

edit: between these movies and the yakuza video game series ive decided my new life goal is to go to underground coliseums and bet on fighters

Half the martial arts movies made in the West are about underground fighting. From what I understand watching DTV films the economies of former Soviet bloc countries are entirely just dudes beating the poo poo out of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
If DTV movies have taught me anything, it's that underground fights to the death staged for rich people gambling is the most lucrative business in the world.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
so due solely to this thread ive watched a shitload of adkins movies ( i actually saw universal soldier 4 way back when and didn't even realize it was him)

since seeing that top 50 action movie list and watching nearly all of it, plus more adkins i've seen
avengement
ninja 2
accident man
debt collector
savage dog
undisputed 2
undisputed 3
boyka: undisputed
abduction
eliminators
wolf warrior
triple threat

anything else he's in worth seeing? Besides ip man 4 when it comes out here, obviously

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The first Ninja has good action. I think you've seen almost all of the notable ones based on this: https://letterboxd.com/actor/scott-adkins/by/rating/

Also it's hard to find any lists that include the kind of B-level movies we are looking for in this thread but here's the new bigger-name action stuff on streaming in April:

Netflix: Bloodsport, Lethal Weapon 1-4, Mortal Kombat, The Matrix 1-3

Hulu: Bangkok Dangerous

Amazon Prime: Bangkok Dangerous, Rambo: Last Blood

HBO: Die Hard 1-3

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

mastershakeman posted:

so due solely to this thread ive watched a shitload of adkins movies ( i actually saw universal soldier 4 way back when and didn't even realize it was him)

since seeing that top 50 action movie list and watching nearly all of it, plus more adkins i've seen
avengement
ninja 2
accident man
debt collector
savage dog
undisputed 2
undisputed 3
boyka: undisputed
abduction
eliminators
wolf warrior
triple threat

anything else he's in worth seeing? Besides ip man 4 when it comes out here, obviously

I haven't seen them, but I heard Hard Target 2 and the Jarhead 3: The Siege (where they turn the first film into an action franchise) are solid.

I have seen Green Street 3: Never Back Down and it's worth checking out.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Hard target 2 is a fun watch, not a great movie. I enjoyed the director commentary as well which is a must listen for anyone who wants to know how difficult it is to make any DTV action movie, much less a good one.

Adkins talks about his favorite Boyka movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGPQ59DaYrs

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This weekend's picks:

Man of Tai Chi (2013) - 4/5, Netflix
Keanu made a great one. There are a lot of fights and they all look cool, and are cool. The atmosphere in the movie is great, and the story is even pretty good as far as this kind of film goes. Seems like a crime that this is Keanu's only directorial effort. Let the man make more fighting movies!

Countdown (2016) - 1/5, Amazon Prime
Commits the offense of being boring, in so many ways. Dolph Ziggler has no charisma, the action sequences are dull, and the plot is needlessly complex and does not do a good job of making the stakes serious.

A significant scene in the movie takes place at a WWE house show, which is extremely corny, even if it does lead to one of the best moments in the film. That spot, and a battle that takes place inside a moving car near the end, are the only moments of enjoyment I particularly got out of my 90 minute investment. So maybe just find some clips and pick something different.
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1246910541911687169

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I gave Special ID a rewatch. Not a great flick, but the fight scenes are very good. Donnie Yen was going through a period of more realistic fight choreography, and there's not a lot of flashy kicks here, but lots of grappling instead. It's crazy how much better the fights are filmed in even the most routine Donnie Yen movie compared to literally any hollywood studio movie with 20 times the budget (aside from John Wicks I guess).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH78UyN2GKg

Boco_T posted:

Sometimes it feels like there are six people in the world who liked this movie. It's pretty good!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So .. Chris Hemsworth has a Netflix action film coming out later this month.

quote:

Tyler Rake (Chris Hemsworth) is a fearless black market mercenary who embarks on the deadliest mission of his career when he’s enlisted to rescue the kidnapped son of an international crime lord. Directed by Sam Hargrave, this action-packed, edge-of-your-seat thriller is produced by Joe and Anthony Russo, the visionary directors of Avengers: Endgame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6P3nI6VnlY

edit: "visionary directors" lol.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Looks solid, though they don't show much of the fights in the trailer and all the shots they have are the American style "too many cuts with the camera too close." Luckily seems to be more gun-based than punch-based so maybe that won't hurt it too bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Boco_T posted:

Looks solid, though they don't show much of the fights in the trailer and all the shots they have are the American style "too many cuts with the camera too close." Luckily seems to be more gun-based than punch-based so maybe that won't hurt it too bad.

Hopefully it's Winter Soldier Russos and not anything else they did Russos at the helm.

red rover red rover
Jun 7, 2002
I just went from headshot to starting tokyo tribe and my brain is rioting

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

red rover red rover posted:

I just went from headshot to starting tokyo tribe and my brain is rioting

Tokyo tribe is insane , embrace the ride

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boco_T posted:

This weekend's picks:

Keanu made a great one. There are a lot of fights and they all look cool, and are cool. The atmosphere in the movie is great, and the story is even pretty good as far as this kind of film goes. Seems like a crime that this is Keanu's only directorial effort. Let the man make more fighting movies!

My only negative thing about Man of Tai Chi is how Keanu brings in Iko Uwais and then doesn't have him fight.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this! posted:

My only negative thing about Man of Tai Chi is how Keanu brings in Iko Uwais and then doesn't have him fight.

I watched Man of Tai Chi before I had seen The Raids and thought that part was funny, then I watched it again after I'd seen The Raids and thought that part was hilarious.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dokmo posted:

I gave Special ID a rewatch. Not a great flick, but the fight scenes are very good. Donnie Yen was going through a period of more realistic fight choreography, and there's not a lot of flashy kicks here, but lots of grappling instead. It's crazy how much better the fights are filmed in even the most routine Donnie Yen movie compared to literally any hollywood studio movie with 20 times the budget (aside from John Wicks I guess).

Those are superb fights, I love the more realistic style.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Flashpoint (2007) is pretty much Peak Donnie Yen as far as I'm concerned. The part where the dude hurts the little kid and it's not even an action scene, it's just Yen completely styling on the guy for a minute or so, is when he's best.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Flashpoint (2007) is pretty much Peak Donnie Yen as far as I'm concerned. The part where the dude hurts the little kid and it's not even an action scene, it's just Yen completely styling on the guy for a minute or so, is when he's best.

He does one of the best German suplexes I've ever seen in that scene.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lumbermouth posted:

He does one of the best German suplexes I've ever seen in that scene.

I didn't even know that was the movie with that move but I definitely have seen that scene, it owns

Just like I didn't realize the knife/baton fight between Yen and Wu Jing was from SPL, just had seen the clip elsewhere

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This weekend:

Dragon Eyes (2012) - 3/5, Amazon Prime
The poster has Jean-Claude Van Damme and Cung Le on it. The movie is about Cung Le. But the star of the show, and the reason you should watch the movie, is Peter Weller. Peter Weller is incredible in this as the over-the-top villian, a role he truly revels in.

Cung Le has good charisma and I think the direction of his character takes his performance down a little, but the fights are interesting and good in the movie. The Sanda influence gives the action a slightly different feel and makes it less generic.

Van Damme is not in the movie much, but he is good in his role and he ends up being important to the story. Speaking of the story, it is of course, as is standard for this kind of movie, overly complex for no reason. It does tie the ends together a bit more than you usually get, at least.

For MMA fans that might be interested because of Le, there are also appearances by Dan Henderson, Gilbert Melendez, and Trevor Prangley, as well as pro wrestler Luke Hawx.

The final scene of the movie is so insane that I was laughing out loud, and that bumped the movie up a bit for me even if that wasn't necessarily the intention.

Overall I put this on the higher-end of direct-to-video action movies, and I think you will find a lot to like in your 90 minutes spent in St. Jude.

Violent Cop (1989) - 3/5, Kanopy
Ridiculous number of shots of Beat Takeshi walking down the street towards the camera in this film.

Really great 80s Japan atmosphere/fashion and some truly shocking violence, but it was hurt by the meandering plot.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Peter Weller is amazing in Dragon Eyes

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Watching that Scott Adkins top 5 and man they filmed Avengement in 17 days? That's drat impressive.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Watching that Scott Adkins top 5 and man they filmed Avengement in 17 days? That's drat impressive.

He must have been so confused on the set of Dr Strange

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's when he said that the 6 weeks they had for Ninja 2 were a 'luxury' that it all started to fall into place.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah that was a shock. It's almost definitely the greatest action movie ever made in less than 3 weeks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

dokmo posted:

Yeah that was a shock. It's almost definitely the greatest action movie ever made in less than 3 weeks.

Action Movies: Avengement is definitely the greatest action movie ever made in less than 3 weeks

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sorry if you already know but I liked the playfulness of these two together in the first one.

https://twitter.com/TheMikeFury/status/1250358705142595585?s=19

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I liked Debt Collector but seeing Mandylor was weird because his brother has been around forever in that exact kind of movie.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcxm1AYFMw

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Expect some upcoming reviews for movies that you've never even heard of, I guess
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1250817045370994688

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I watched Angel Has Fallen. You know, nothing special, but there did seem be a lot of practical pyro, gunfire, and stunt work. Which was cool. Also, the sound was pretty decent.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Does it matter what order I watch the Chow-yun Fat/Woo movies in (aside from Better Tomorrow 1 before 2)?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This weekend's picks, wherein I have regret:

Grace is Gone (2019) - 0.5/5, Hoopla
I don't know what I expected, I literally had to add this to the database to get it on Letterboxd so I could review it, and the premise is "post-apocalyptic movie with zero budget and the star is Ken Shamrock playing a villain."

It's not an action movie, because every single bit of action in the movie is behind a cut. Like "guy points gun, shakes arms, camera cuts and a person is laying on the ground with blood behind them." The movie in general has like four times as many cuts as it needs, even in the many dialogue sequences, and all of the shots are framed extremely close up on the subjects. It was physically giving me a headache to watch.

There is a certain charm about Ken Shamrock's performance in the movie, and there is decent world-building done through voiceover, but that is by no means worth your 85 minutes.

Savage Dog (2017) - 3.5/5, Netflix
Half of the movie is well-done fist fights and the other half is gnarly violence in a revenge sequence. The juxtaposition is a little weird but both parts are nasty and awesome. Scott Adkins can play both roles well and Jesse V. Johnson really got some good-looking stuff on a small budget.

The pacing in the last third of the movie is a little weird, but the climactic fight is enough that you don't mind.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Scott Adkins being bored is better action than around 33% of the action movies I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlnz2GMPPWo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

These are strange times indeed, seems stunt people are just as bored...

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1253016359455383552?s=19

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Speaking of Stuntmen and things to do if you're bored: youtubiness aside (don't forget to like, subscribe and how about those VPNS) I've been enjoying Corridor's Stuntmen React videos, especially any featuring Gui DaSilva. One thing that surprised me was how much of the stunt work in the Marvel movies is practical, despite all the CGI everywhere else.

This is Gui's first episode featuring a lot of his work as Black Panther:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAxmIxGXMOY

I've enjoyed most other episodes as well. The stuntpeople always seem pretty down-to-earth and it's interesting to see some of this stuff from their perspective. The whole "react to bad and great" angle is pretty clickbaity and there's really not a lot of "bad" at all (after a star wars bit in the first episode), it's mostly a celebration practical stuntwork in general.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 23, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thread, I have to ask an important question. What are your thoughts on Shoot 'em Up?

When suggesting it to people I tell them to watch the first 5 minutes and if they're not instantly into it, to just stop because they're not going to enjoy the rest of the silliness.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Shoot 'Em Up is one of the best movies. I wouldn't expect the kind of people that post in this thread to not think it's a masterpiece. I think it's been like a decade since I've seen it though, I need to rewatch it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Thread, I have to ask an important question. What are your thoughts on Shoot 'em Up?

When suggesting it to people I tell them to watch the first 5 minutes and if they're not instantly into it, to just stop because they're not going to enjoy the rest of the silliness.

The movie is actually really good, but Owens being bored as gently caress through the whole thing kind of hurts it. It was in that weird period when 'clive owen, leading man' was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Snowman_McK posted:

The movie is actually really good, but Owens being bored as gently caress through the whole thing kind of hurts it. It was in that weird period when 'clive owen, leading man' was a thing.

Insane that he was almost Bond. I wonder if he does the gun thing to himself in the mirror at night? Anyway, ShootEmUp is a unique gem that wouldn't get made with the budget and cast it did these days. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember more if it then films I saw way more recently, especially the carrot at the end.

Also, hey action thread. I've finally read most of this thread and to prove it I now have a VPN and a list of movies only available on American Netflix that you guys kept mentioning (mostly the Asian stuff and Keanus Man of Tai Chi).