Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

galagazombie posted:

I keep hearing people hating on Rowling like she's been saying some abhorrent stuff but my (admittedly lazy) googling didn't turn up anything. The only dumb things I really see are her obviously made up on-the-spot explanations for things like Wizards just taking dumps on the floor. Is it just blowback from how Twitter Liberals try and explain everything in terms of Harry Potter metaphors?

She has a grown up thriller series that she writes under a pseudonym and one of those had some really bad and regressive characterization of a trans character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In addition to all of the above things (TERF, centrist, her obsession with attacking Corbyn) her Harry Potter EU writings have extremely racist stuff about Native Americans, Africans, and Asians that make it clear she did absolutely no research, to the level of the names of the schools aren't even in any actual African or Asian language.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There are many articles about how the Harry Potter books are blindingly racist, classist, and just all around awful, regressive pieces of poo poo written by a woman who has been slowly unmasking herself as a truly miserable and hateful TERF, so yeah I'm gonna hold it against you if you bring her up in a positive light in an essay about how another author is awful and regressive.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Did any of the toy story sequels show more Sid?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Did any of the toy story sequels show more Sid?

He's an easter egg as the guy who picks up the garbage at the beginning of the film in front of Andy's house, and picks up Lotso at the end of the movie. The only hint of it is that he's wearing the skull shirt.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ya sid works for the president now

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Toy Story 5 should be about the toys finding Andy as an adult, who is now a psychiatrist and accidentally finds out that his former toys have sentience.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HannibalBarca posted:

Years of Rice and Salt is one of my favorite books ever and yes it is completely bonkers

Yeah, I think it's due for a re-listen after I finish up Clavell's Asian Saga.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know if The Green Knight is going to be released to streaming or if its been delayed to next year? I am really looking forward to it and am bummed if it gets pushed to 2021.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Jurassic World 3 Lego set spoilers:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have no interest in the film whatsoever, but I desperately hope Laura Dern is controlling that.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Tars Tarkas posted:

The dinosaurs rose from the ashes of nuclear fire. Their war to eat mankind had raged for decades, but the final battle would not be fought in this movie. It would be fought over there, in the sequel.

Delayed until 2021...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I have no interest in the film whatsoever, but I desperately hope Laura Dern is controlling that.

Jurassic Gear?!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not even Neill and Dern coming back can get me excited in that movie.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Alan Smithee posted:

Jurassic Gear?!

But Metal Gear REX already exists?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Chairman Capone posted:

I'll take the opportunity to link to another classic essay on the fascist aspects of space opera, Michael Moorcock's 1977 Starship Stormtroopers:

https://libcom.org/library/starship-stormtroopers-michael-moorcock

Between this and Epic Pooh I'm convinced Michael Moorcock shitposted on these very forums under the pseudonym BravestOfTheLamps.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

feedmyleg posted:

I know this is cynical as hell, but we all know Chris Pratt is gonna get the mech.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Chris Pratt and Jurassic World deserve each other.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I wonder if Chris Pratt is going to church still

Casimir Radon posted:

Not even Neill and Dern coming back can get me excited in that movie.

what if watching it was an indication of theirs and our survival

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

There's going to be an on-the-nose "You have a t-rex mech?" "We have a t-rex mech!" wink to the original and it will be as terrible as you can imagine it being

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tars Tarkas posted:

This toy came out for fallen kingdom.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Cameo posted:

There's going to be an on-the-nose "You have a t-rex mech?" "We have a t-rex mech!" wink to the original and it will be as terrible as you can imagine it being

they fly now?!

they fly now!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

This toy came out for fallen kingdom.

Best scene of the franchise.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I will always be grateful for Jurassic Park toys giving the world the phrase "dino damage". Why do I find that phrase so funny??

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

I think I had this because I was obsessed with Jeff goldblum and bought every Jeff goldblum toy as a kid

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I will always be grateful for Jurassic Park toys giving the world the phrase "dino damage". Why do I find that phrase so funny??

I used this phrase when I cut a little chunk off my finger a few years ago and couldn't stop laughing. It pops up all the time in my mind watching films with lots of gory special effects. "That's some serious dino damage."

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 10, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

DB Cooper went on to steal dinosaurs

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

feedmyleg posted:

I used this phrase when I cut a little chunk off my finger a few months years and couldn't stop laughing. It pops up all the time in my mind watching films with lots of gory special effects. "That's some serious dino damage."

I just don't know what evolutionary step in my biology, what change that happened thousands or possibly even millions of years ago, that ended up making a mostly hairless ape find the phrase "dino damage" so loving funny. But it is! And I do find it so! No matter the context!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Also has anyone compiled a list of all the delayed 2020 movies that are coming out in 2021 that also includes the regular 2021 movies?? 2021 is shaping up to be a cultural renaissance.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jerkface posted:

Does anyone know if The Green Knight is going to be released to streaming or if its been delayed to next year? I am really looking forward to it and am bummed if it gets pushed to 2021.

The movie still has a release date of 5/29 so far so the studio is probably banking on life going on as normal by then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with 2021 movies is that they're all delayed because they couldn't finish filming and so who knows if they'll be done in 2021.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The movie still has a release date of 5/29 so far so the studio is probably banking on life going on as normal by then.

there is approximately zero chance of that; i'd assume A24 just hasn't figured out a new date yet. most of the films that have been re-dated are tentpoles, and I think distributors are going to wait to see how the release landscape shakes out before rescheduling

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The problem with 2021 movies is that they're all delayed because they couldn't finish filming and so who knows if they'll be done in 2021.

I want to think of 2021 as an amazing time of culture and sport

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had a Dr. Grant figure from the first run of Jurassic Park toys. He had a big rear end orange thing on his arm. That wasn't in the movie.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like the Sega Master System game where Alan Grant singlehandedly recaptures all the lost dinosaurs and gets the park reopened.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I like the Sega Master System game where Alan Grant singlehandedly recaptures all the lost dinosaurs and gets the park reopened.

Was that the one that's a top down game outside and Doom once you go indoors?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The SNES game is really good but super hard

^^^
That’s this version

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Don't mind me, I'm playing the Empire Strikes Back game where Darth Vader transforms into a scorpion and a wampa.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

8one6 posted:

I rented that game so many times I should've just bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

8one6 posted:

That's the SNES version where Alan Grant returns to the island to collect eggs and Nedry gives you purposely bad tooltips.