Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

torgeaux posted:

I think I have you on age.

Balls make more difference for me. I can still game my ping eye2s from pre-pro v1 days, but even the best ball from that era sucked. My old persimmon drivers weren't as long, but not that far off, though the sweet spot was loving tiny.

Can you beat Mid-1968? :stat: :wal:

Those 3 woods were really hard to hit off the deck back then too and had 130 gram steel shafts, etc. No 2/3 hybrids either you had to use a tiny 2 iron that launched about a foot off the ground but yeah seriously Ping Eye2's were absolute game-changers and everything was easier after that and the 1st Big Bertha driver.

Get off my lawn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Keyser_Soze posted:

Can you beat Mid-1968? :stat: :wal:

Those 3 woods were really hard to hit off the deck back then too and had 130 gram steel shafts, etc. No 2/3 hybrids either you had to use a tiny 2 iron that launched about a foot off the ground but yeah seriously Ping Eye2's were absolute game-changers and everything was easier after that and the 1st Big Bertha driver.

Get off my lawn!

Oh, you sweet summer child. You're not even a boomer.

My first Taylormade driver was so forgiving. And my first decent 3 wood....so, so nice to be able to actually hit it consistently. My Ping Eye2 set is 1-SW. I love that 1 iron, but jesus, no thanks in play.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

torgeaux's so old he called Arnold Palmer an upstart punk rear end kid

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Cuomo declared that golf courses in NY are non essential today and part of me died and became a Libertarian. I've played four of the last five days and even though the weather the next few days is gonna be garbage, not being able to golf at all until May at the earliest is going to loving suck. I'm pretty sure the courses will have to be mowing their greens even though they are closed since not doing that will mess them up for the whole season, so I'm hoping I can work something out with the owners at my course and they let me just show up and walk by myself even though it's "closed".

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

torgeaux's so old he called Arnold Palmer an upstart punk rear end kid

Well, he was!

Gotta say, my best golf has been in my 50's. I hit it further, I putt better, and my short game is better. The only thing I used to do better was my full wedges at 100-135 used to spin back like hell even with Titleist Balata balls. My divots were deep and long, and perfectly uniform. I'm pretty decent now, and I'll one hop and stop most of the time, but that beautiful spin back of 10 feet or more was just fun to watch even when it screwed me.

Edit: Optishot arrives Tuesday. Wednesday, snowy and cold, gonna set it up in my 20 foot ceiling living room.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 10, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Cuomo declared that golf courses in NY are non essential today and part of me died and became a Libertarian. I've played four of the last five days and even though the weather the next few days is gonna be garbage, not being able to golf at all until May at the earliest is going to loving suck. I'm pretty sure the courses will have to be mowing their greens even though they are closed since not doing that will mess them up for the whole season, so I'm hoping I can work something out with the owners at my course and they let me just show up and walk by myself even though it's "closed".

If DeSantis does this in Florida there will be riots! I have been playing some of my best golf lately these past few weeks, 74/73/76/74 at 4 different courses and most all courses have cut their rates to sometimes less than their summer rates! Playing one of my favorite courses tomorrow for less than I played it in the middle of summer last year.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I've been driving 35 minutes to play a nice resort course for a little less than half their normal rate. Gonna ride this deal out until further notice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Golf channel's got a marathon of Big Break today, as well as a round of a college tournament:

quote:

College Golf
2019 Western Intercollegiate
1st Round (04/15/2019) — Golf Channel, 6 p.m.

Golf
Big Break Sandals Resort Marathon
Paradise Lost — Golf Channel, 8 a.m.
What a Tangled Web We Weave — Golf Channel, 9 a.m.
You’re Gonna Need a Bigger Boat — Golf Channel, 10 a.m.
Lady Luck — Golf Channel, 11 a.m.
Far Away, So Close — Golf Channel, noon
Play Like a Champion Today — Golf Channel, 1 p.m.
Know Your Enemies — Golf Channel, 2 p.m.
Know Yourself — Golf Channel, 3 p.m.
A Curious Trio — Golf Channel, 4 p.m. & 9 p.m.
El Ultimo Baile (season finale) — Golf Channel, 5 p.m. & 10 p.m.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Golf channel's got a marathon of Big Break today, as well as a round of a college tournament:
As I recall, Sandals was one of the last seasons when it was decently popular.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 13, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

As I recall, Sandals was one of the last seasons when it was decently popular.

I think it was the last all-womens' season, and it had an awesome finish. Ohio native Carling Coffing hit like a 30 foot birdie putt on the 17th to go 1-up and held on.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:911:
YOU ESS AY
YOU ESS AY
YOU ESS AY
YOU ESS AY
:911:

quote:

College Golf
2019 Western Intercollegiate
2nd Round — Golf Channel, 6 p.m.

Golf
2016 Ryder Cup
Final Day (09/30/2016) — Golf Channel, 1 p.m.

E: man I forgot how fuckin stacked that year's US team was.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Scenario: You are buying a house with a 4 car heated and insulated garage. It is 45' * 25' with ceilings that are at least 10 feet high (probably higher). You have $15,000 budget for a simulator but you rwife demands half of that for granite counter-tops and other worthless crap in the kitchen that no sane person should care about. What to do with the remaining $7500 for a sim? Save money for a better sim? Buy something now? New or used?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

Scenario: You are buying a house with a 4 car heated and insulated garage. It is 45' * 25' with ceilings that are at least 10 feet high (probably higher). You have $15,000 budget for a simulator but you rwife demands half of that for granite counter-tops and other worthless crap in the kitchen that no sane person should care about. What to do with the remaining $7500 for a sim? Save money for a better sim? Buy something now? New or used?

I'd have to imagine right now simulators are selling like crazy so in any event you may be best off waiting and just setting up a mat and net for like $150 to hit into if you've really gotta have something for the time being.

E: plus home projects like that always go over budget so you may want to wait and see how that goes.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 14, 2020

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJExile posted:

I'd have to imagine right now simulators are selling like crazy so in any event you may be best off waiting and just setting up a mat and net for like $150 to hit into if you've really gotta have something for the time being.

I've got time. We don't close for another month, and I can get by all summer at the local driving range. I'd still at least like to plan for something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

I've got time. We don't close for another month, and I can get by all summer at the local driving range. I'd still at least like to plan for something.

aaaaaaah gotcha

Honestly, $5,000 should get you a pretty solid setup, depending on what you want. I think some of those screen/net deals and projectors can be had used if you poke around.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

daslog posted:

How serious are you about the numbers coming out of the sim? Are you using it more for keeping your swing in shape and playing virtual courses, or are you very interested in knowing if your AoA with your 7 iron is -3* or -3.5*?

You have plenty of space for a mid-high end setup. Maybe start with a SkyTrak and potentially upgrade to something fancier in the future if you like it/want to burn more money?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Spend the money on the screen/net and projector, get inexpensive sim first, upgrade later.

On that note, my optishot arrived just now. Gotta disinfect and then setup. I was going to setup in the drive outside the garage, but 12 inches of snow yesterday nixed that. 12 inches more on Thursday.

So, living room it is. Ceiling is between 10 and 20 feet, so no issue there. Only problem is son's tutor is here, and they don't need the distraction, since I assume it will be noticeably loud.

Edit: I do like the sim. The setup instructions are nonexistent, but plug and play for the most part. Some stuff is a pain, like setting up your clubs won't let you sub out the clubs they include in their base sets. I don't currently have a hybrid, but their set does, so I get 13 clubs because I cannot program in a 4th wedge. I think they have options I'm just not seeing. Clubhead speeds are low, but not sure if it's accurate, and swinging in my living room is causing that, or just how the sensor reads. Either I've developed a real open swing in my month off, or my stance to the sensors is a problem. I'll mess with it. Putting is tough. One putted three of first four holes, then had 8 putts on next two. Scoring badly was entirely the result of putting. Software is good, in the way it simulates courses and holes.

Hitting foam balls in the living room is interesting. Missed my small backdrop twice and sent a ball at high speed into the kitchen. Overall, definitely worth it for the mat and sensor combo. Their net is pricey, and I won't be using it for at least a week, so I'll review it then.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 14, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

torgeaux posted:

Spend the money on the screen/net and projector, get inexpensive sim first, upgrade later.

On that note, my optishot arrived just now. Gotta disinfect and then setup. I was going to setup in the drive outside the garage, but 12 inches of snow yesterday nixed that. 12 inches more on Thursday.

So, living room it is. Ceiling is between 10 and 20 feet, so no issue there. Only problem is son's tutor is here, and they don't need the distraction, since I assume it will be noticeably loud.

Edit: I do like the sim. The setup instructions are nonexistent, but plug and play for the most part. Some stuff is a pain, like setting up your clubs won't let you sub out the clubs they include in their base sets. I don't currently have a hybrid, but their set does, so I get 13 clubs because I cannot program in a 4th wedge. I think they have options I'm just not seeing. Clubhead speeds are low, but not sure if it's accurate, and swinging in my living room is causing that, or just how the sensor reads. Either I've developed a real open swing in my month off, or my stance to the sensors is a problem. I'll mess with it. Putting is tough. One putted three of first four holes, then had 8 putts on next two. Scoring badly was entirely the result of putting. Software is good, in the way it simulates courses and holes.

Hitting foam balls in the living room is interesting. Missed my small backdrop twice and sent a ball at high speed into the kitchen. Overall, definitely worth it for the mat and sensor combo. Their net is pricey, and I won't be using it for at least a week, so I'll review it then.

Added a new post because it doesn't trigger as a new one if I just keep editing.

Played another round. Shot 96 yesterday (haven't shot in the 90s in 5 years). Had about 50 putts, all told.
Shot 85 today, still high, but understandable now. Some of the putt problems I had? The software will put a SW in your hand on the green, if you're a certain distance away. You use your putter, and it gives the results as if you used the wedge, and that ain't great. Trying to correct swing problems that are really alignment problems to the sensor grid. Trying to get swing speed up with a coffee table in your view behind you (way out of swing path, but still). Scratched my golf itch, though. I'm going to play another round this afternoon, same course as my second round.

Note if you're considering buying this: It's light based, and you need bright light. And, if you have dark clubs, like my old Cleveland irons (which I use my 3 and 4 from), it will sometimes just not see that swing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

today's goof

quote:

PGA Tour
2013 Heritage Classic
Final Round (04/20/2003) — Golf Channel, 2 p.m.

LPGA Tour
2019 LOTTE Championship
3rd Round (04/19/2019) — Golf Channel, 6 p.m.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

more goof

quote:

PGA Tour
2016 Heritage Classic
Final Round (04/17/2016) — Golf Channel, 1:30 p.m.
Final Round (04/17/2016) — CBS, 3 p.m.

PGA Tour Champions
2019 Mitsubishi Electric Classic
2nd Round (04/20/2019) — Golf Channel, 3 p.m.

LPGA Tour
2014 LOTTE Championship
3rd Round (04/18/2014) — 6 p.m.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

More Big Break on today

quote:

Big Break IV: USA vs. Europe Marathon
Flashback Fortunes — Golf Channel, 7 a.m.
Steeped in Tradition — Golf Channel, 8 a.m.
Par or Better — Golf Channel, 10 a.m.
Shots on Demand — Golf Channel, 11 a.m.
Every Man for Himself — Golf Channel, noon
Bunker Down — Golf Channel, 1 p.m.
Pressure Points — Golf Channel, 2 p.m.
Now or Never — Golf Channel, 3 p.m. & 8 p.m.
Who Will be Champion (season finale) — Golf Channel, 4 p.m. & 9 p.m.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Anyone have any experience with portable launch monitors? Mevo Flightscope, Swing Caddie SC2/300, Garmin G80 and the like? I'm looking to spend ~500 dollars for one and am having trouble deciding on one. I'm leaning towards the G80 as I like how it's a GPS / launch monitor, but I'm hearing mixed things on all of them. Looking for some goon feedback on a couple of these if possible.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

Anyone have any experience with portable launch monitors? Mevo Flightscope, Swing Caddie SC2/300, Garmin G80 and the like? I'm looking to spend ~500 dollars for one and am having trouble deciding on one. I'm leaning towards the G80 as I like how it's a GPS / launch monitor, but I'm hearing mixed things on all of them. Looking for some goon feedback on a couple of these if possible.

Scroll up a bit...there was a favorable discussion of the Mevo.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Kirios posted:

I have a Mevo. It's good. Find my posts about it in this thread not too far back.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Thanks BCRock - ended up going with the G80 after all. I'll report back some initial thoughts if anyone's interested.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Nice. Very curious to hear how you like it. I came very close to buying one before ultimately picking the Mevo.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

If I get a house in the next couple years, I think the reasoning behind getting high end net/projector/mat etc is sound but after a year or two I’d absolutely end up with a launch monitor that measures club data, not just ball numbers. I’m not sure what kind of market there is for used GC Quads but that would be my goal.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
QC Quads are awesome, but It's not easy to find them used, or Trackman 4s for that matter. Maybe because they're too expensive and new right now, but there aren't many GC2s or TM 3s on eBay or that I've seen listed local (SoCal).

I very nearly bought a full sim setup with a Quad from Foresight recently, but I want to use the setup I'm putting together to play virtual courses against people fairly often and the GC isn't great for that for two reasons.

First, all of the monitors that sit next to the ball make it impossible to play with a righty and a lefty at the same time. Second, the GC wants you to put reflective dots on all of your clubs for the camera to pick up the club face, so that's another pain in the rear end just to do for your own set, let alone other people's. It may work just fine without the stickers, but I've only ever used one at my club fitter's and he was adamant about them needing to be on each club.

I ended up going with something different, but equally financially reckless instead. I'll share more of the details here soon.

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
Won an eBay auction for some sweet lefty Miura blades 4-PW + 52, 56, 60. I’m expecting some brutal growing pains but it was a great deal and I expect to die still owning these they’re so beautiful

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My wife picked up golfing about a year ago, and now she wants to replace her crappy “complete set” clubs with something new and shiny and no doubt expensive. She’s physically very fit and strong for a woman her size, but that size is 5’2” at 112 pounds. I don’t know what that is in stone or hogsheads or farthings or whatever you non-Americans use. (Just kidding: 157 cm, 50 kilos)

Anyway, I’d rather she not have to limit herself to “ladies” clubs, but I would imagine that chopping men’s clubs down to her size can get problematic at a certain point? I mean, even if we’re also adjusting the loft & lie to suit her size & swing, there’s only so much you can do with a 7I that was manufactured at 36.5 inches. Is that right?

Again: five feet, two inches. I would think there are stock ladies clubs that would be too long for her.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Gonna play for the first time in months tomorrow. Haven’t hit a ball since early January and the range is closed at the course. This will go well I’m sure.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lincoln posted:

My wife picked up golfing about a year ago, and now she wants to replace her crappy “complete set” clubs with something new and shiny and no doubt expensive. She’s physically very fit and strong for a woman her size, but that size is 5’2” at 112 pounds. I don’t know what that is in stone or hogsheads or farthings or whatever you non-Americans use. (Just kidding: 157 cm, 50 kilos)

Anyway, I’d rather she not have to limit herself to “ladies” clubs, but I would imagine that chopping men’s clubs down to her size can get problematic at a certain point? I mean, even if we’re also adjusting the loft & lie to suit her size & swing, there’s only so much you can do with a 7I that was manufactured at 36.5 inches. Is that right?

Again: five feet, two inches. I would think there are stock ladies clubs that would be too long for her.

Don't chop clubs, it ruins the flex. Sounds like she needs to get fitted with a golf pro.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

daslog posted:

Don't chop clubs, it ruins the flex. Sounds like she needs to get fitted with a golf pro.

No, I wasn’t planning on doing that, I just wanted to know if a set of men’s clubs can be properly fit to a height-challenged woman.

There’s one full-service club fitter in town, and they’re very bad at what they do, so they’re not an option. The club we play at will fit you, but only for a very limited number of brands. Like, three. So, if we get her fitted for, say, Ping, will we then get like a data sheet showing her best shaft length, lie angle, etc? Something that will translate to a different brand of club?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
You say she strong but is she actually generating man level clubhead speeds? Physical strength is just one part of it, probably not even in the top 5 factors really. There’s a pretty good chance she’d benefit from ladies flex still but only a launch monitor could tell you.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Oh no, she doesn’t approach male swing speeds. She’s not even swinging at her own full speed yet. Her instructor is still working on getting her to stop swinging with her arms.

I just want to know if a lady her size is more or less forced to get dedicated “ladies” clubs. You know, like Callway’s Strata clubs.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Lincoln posted:

Oh no, she doesn’t approach male swing speeds. She’s not even swinging at her own full speed yet. Her instructor is still working on getting her to stop swinging with her arms.

I just want to know if a lady her size is more or less forced to get dedicated “ladies” clubs. You know, like Callway’s Strata clubs.

What’s wrong with it if so? Does she play from the ladies’ tees?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
One big thing is that she doesn’t necessarily want another one of those “complete sets” with irons, wedges, hybrids, putter, driver and bag. That’s pretty much 90% of what’s available in ladies clubs, and 100% of petite clubs (for women under 5’6”).

She already loves her TaylorMade driver, and her Cleveland putter & wedges. And she doesn’t want a bag with pink or purple on it. You get the idea.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
She's obviously taking this seriously at this point so 100% have her get a fitting. If the local guy sucks, go to the guy at your club, or find someone else.

It's really not a big deal if the guy at your club only reps 3 brands. There are only like 6 mainstream brands anyway. As long as he knows what he's doing he'll point her in the correct direction.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Summit posted:

You say she strong but is she actually generating man level clubhead speeds? Physical strength is just one part of it, probably not even in the top 5 factors really. There’s a pretty good chance she’d benefit from ladies flex still but only a launch monitor could tell you.

edit: ignore me, just saying what others already said

Treat her; say you're going on a day trip and drive over to a quality fitter; sneak her golf clothes and shoes. Honestly man, if my wife golfed, I would be so psyched, I'd probably spend more money on her clubs than me, as it is I have to drag my wife out with my son and I, and she just chips and putts in scrambles with us.

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Played for the first time since October today. We played High Meadow Ranch here in Houston. Range was closed, practice green was closed, and I hadn’t swung a club since hitting off my mat in January.

First 3 holes I was a little rough but then I got warmed up and really crushed it the rest of the way. There’s no better feeling than stringing a few good shots together on a Par 5. I didn’t make anything worse than bogey the rest of the day. Great course and it was in excellent shape.