Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Klyith posted:

From reddit, this UserChrome.css copypaste will disable the embiggening effect that happens when you focus the megabar. Between this and turning off openViewOnFocus, I'm ok with the new bar.

code:
/* Disable urlbar expansion on focus */

#urlbar[breakout-extend]{top:calc((var(--urlbar-toolbar-height) - var(--urlbar-height)) / 2)!important;left:calc((var(--urlbar-toolbar-width) - var(--urlbar-width)) / 2)!important;width:100%!important}

#urlbar[breakout-extend] #urlbar-input-container{height:calc(var(--tab-min-height) - 3px)!important;padding:0px!important}

.urlbarView{margin:0px!important;width:100%!important}

.urlbarView-row{padding:0px!important}

This about :config line from above disabled that for me, you have to restart firefox for it to work:
browser.urlbar.update1; set to False

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

phosdex posted:

This about :config line from above disabled that for me, you have to restart firefox for it to work:
browser.urlbar.update1; set to False

Yeah, but that just gives you the old awesomebar. Not the same thing. The browser.urlbar.update1 pref will probably not be available forever, as the awesomebar is another XUL holdover and they're removing those parts bit by bit.

In this case I'd rather move to the new thing and bash it into usability, and not rely on an old thing that mozilla is trying to get rid of. Pull the bandaid off quick.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You say this, relying on UserChrome.css fixes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Geemer posted:

You say this, relying on UserChrome.css fixes.

Userchrome isn't on the list of deprecated stuff to be removed, it's just disabled by default so they can launch 0.2% faster on trash PCs that don't have SSDs. Old XUL UI very much is.

And the original change that led to the disable/pref change wasn't even targeted at userchrome, it was for usercontent.css which is way more of an old & barely used feature. (That was how people used to do re-styling of websites before extensions were a thing.) The 6 people who still use usercontent fussed, moz made it a pref and decided to hit both files since performance was the goal. That was a perfectly fine decision.

anyways if they did remove userchrome I'd be moving along to something else

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I too am okay with the new bar once 95% of it is reverted.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Im_Special posted:

I too am okay with the new bar once 95% of it is reverted.

What's the 5% you like? (I'd be fibbing if I said I wasn't curious!)

The expando-thing seems baked in. Am I about to dabble in 'userchrome' for the first time?

Edit: Ah, I take that back; a browser restart was required. Fair enough!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Klyith posted:

Yeah, but that just gives you the old awesomebar. Not the same thing. The browser.urlbar.update1 pref will probably not be available forever, as the awesomebar is another XUL holdover and they're removing those parts bit by bit.

In this case I'd rather move to the new thing and bash it into usability, and not rely on an old thing that mozilla is trying to get rid of. Pull the bandaid off quick.

Ah, I guess I don't really know what changed about the bar except for it getting big on focus and the dropdown appearing. I just made those 2 config changes and that's good enough for me.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there some specific reason why Firefox wants to be so special?

IE: always looks the same, just keep using it
Chrome: always looks the same, just keep using it
Vivaldi: always looks the same, just keep using it
Firefox: Ahh they changed this, now here's an addon/userstyle/whatever to fix it. Repeat with versions 5..6.7..25..26..46..66..75... :aaaaa:

I stopped using FF years ago since I got enough of fixing something which worked a week ago. I don't understand why the same spiral keeps still happening.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Firefox: Ahh they changed this, now here's an addon/userstyle/whatever to fix it. Repeat with versions 5..6.7..25..26..46..66..75... :aaaaa:

I stopped using FF years ago since I got enough of fixing something which worked a week ago. I don't understand why the same spiral keeps still happening.

Chrome does change stuff around now and then, but with Firefox I think it's developers and product owners either with a lot of corporate freedom or a lot of free time, (depending on how exactly it's funded, I'm not sure) that have Ideas and want to make a mark. I assume there's a whole bunch of fractions, internal civil wars and brokered peace deals leading to "you get that, I get this".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The only reason I'm not 100% on Vivaldi yet is because it can't handle touch/pen input and there are a few UI changes I don't know how to make yet (tab positions, mostly).

The change for the sake of it in FF is awful and having to find addons and tweaks every few major versions got annoying three years ago :argh:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Mozilla is essentially "Jack and Jill" - a way for the inner circle to get money, travel first class, stay at expensive hotels. And to simulate an actual company they come up with all these redesigns (that some poor idealistic programmer has to implement). They are also very loud about fighting evil companies like Facebook (that don't pay hundreds of millions to be the default search engine).

According to awesomebar redesign related bugzilla bug (marked as wontfix), Mozilla has something called "ux experts"
By ux they probably mean:
  • Ux or ux, a digraph representing Ŭ or ŭ in the X-system scheme for transliterating Esperanto into ASCII
  • Ux, Latin for "wife" in a legal context; see et ux
  • les UX, an underground organization that improves parts of Paris
  • Air Europa (IATA airline designator code UX)
  • United Express, a brand of United Airlines
  • Uranium-X, the historical name for the element protactinium
  • SM U-10 (Austria-Hungary) (or U-X), the lead boat of the U-10 class of submarines of the Austro-Hungarian Navy

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 9, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MikusR posted:

According to awesomebar redesign related bugzilla bug (marked as wontfix), Mozilla has something called "ux experts"
By ux they probably mean:
  • Ux or ux, a digraph representing Ŭ or ŭ in the X-system scheme for transliterating Esperanto into ASCII

That explains their Esperanto localization

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hey I'm some sort of idiot. I have some kind of privacy or tracking blocking on Firefox that is causing a ton of stuff that is driving me nuts. 50% of a random link I click will trigger a security warning, images in many places are blocked (including SA smilies), and some sites are just straight broken shown in pure bb code. I've tried doing things like whitelisting SA forums but I've had no luck. I've also tried changing privacy / security / add on settings and no luck.

I'm currently running ublock origin and facebook container.

Any idea what's causing this? I'm at my wit's end. I love Firefox and have used it for more than a decade but have never had issues like this.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ihmemies posted:

17 years ago, one of the original programmers of Netscape and the guy who might be most responsible for the entire existence of Mozilla/firefox¹ made this very insightful observation about the nature of open source.

¹in that he suggested "hey why don't we open-source the code, at least that way MS can't kill us forever."

The only thing that's changed between then and now is that a bunch of big corporations are into open-source in a big way, because they've discovered that as long as your biz model is something other than selling software it's an advantage. But they control their software in the same way that any normal software corp does. They don't do the CADT thing because it's obviously unproductive and they pay people to do the poo poo work.

(Also Chrome & IE/Edge change stuff fairly often, just in subtler and less annoying ways. Vivaldi doesn't, but that's because it was made for the sinlge purpose of "be like Opera in 2013", by some people who thought that Opera 2013 was the pinnacle of web browsing.)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Tom Tucker posted:

Hey I'm some sort of idiot. I have some kind of privacy or tracking blocking on Firefox that is causing a ton of stuff that is driving me nuts. 50% of a random link I click will trigger a security warning, images in many places are blocked (including SA smilies), and some sites are just straight broken shown in pure bb code. I've tried doing things like whitelisting SA forums but I've had no luck. I've also tried changing privacy / security / add on settings and no luck.

I'm currently running ublock origin and facebook container.

Any idea what's causing this? I'm at my wit's end. I love Firefox and have used it for more than a decade but have never had issues like this.

Are Ublock and Facebook Container the only add-ons you're running? Those shouldn't cause that deep of an issue, nor should the built-in Enhance Tracking Protection (which does block Twitter embeds but leaves everything else alone on SA). I'd suggest a methodical approach to track down whatever's causing your issues. Disable your add-ons one by one until the issue goes away and if you disable them all and it's still happening try creating a fresh profile in about :profiles (without the space) and see if that's still affected.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

magimix posted:

What's the 5% you like? (I'd be fibbing if I said I wasn't curious!)
I don't like any of it, I reverted the bar back 100%, I was just poking fun at Klyith who said by removing the "embiggening effect" and turning off the "openViewOnFocus" part, he was okay with the new bar. These are the changes to the bar, Klyith had problems with like the two biggest ones.

browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus
browser.urlbar.update1
browser.urlbar.update1.interventions
browser.urlbar.update1.searchTips

And in other news, a new Windows Scheduled Task added along with a new telemetry collecting program "default-browser-agent.exe" installed with 75.0. Yes, Mozilla people are switching.

Ihmemies posted:

Probably just got a "diva" designer/developer, who pushes his way despite all critiсism.

– "I know better! They just don't understand! People always complain!"

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Im_Special posted:

And in other news, a new Windows Scheduled Task added along with a new telemetry collecting program "default-browser-agent.exe" installed with 75.0. Yes, Mozilla people are switching.

At least it respects your last-run-Firefox telemetry settings, according to the article. Didn't stop me from setting that registry key and disabling the scheduled tasks, of course.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Tom Tucker posted:

It's probably antivirus software you have installed. Are you using Avast, Kaspersky, or other software like that?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Ihmemies posted:

People complained when the tab shape and address bar changed on Chrome too. I think a big difference is that there is less to talk about because there are no addons or userstyles to change it back.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Guess I'll post this here too, maybe its Firefox and there's some config thing I can change?

On my mac:
If I have a Firefox window open on my main display and have a second window open in fullscreen on my second monitor, the main display while Firefox has focus will hide the menu bar and dock. Safari does not have this same behavior.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Im_Special posted:

Ugh, why's everyone got to try to be like the big boy businesses and do their own little data-gathering operation. At least they respect my privacy setting, but I bet this is just the start.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Im_Special posted:

I don't like any of it, I reverted the bar back 100%, I was just poking fun at Klyith who said by removing the "embiggening effect" and turning off the "openViewOnFocus" part, he was okay with the new bar. These are the changes to the bar, Klyith had problems with like the two biggest ones.

browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus
browser.urlbar.update1
browser.urlbar.update1.interventions
browser.urlbar.update1.searchTips

These are all set to false on my end, and I'm still getting the window-wide dropdown. Did I goof something up?

And gently caress letting Mozilla run telemetry on my machine. Opting me into one of their shithole 'studies' was already a bridge too far.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Mr.Radar posted:

Are Ublock and Facebook Container the only add-ons you're running? Those shouldn't cause that deep of an issue, nor should the built-in Enhance Tracking Protection (which does block Twitter embeds but leaves everything else alone on SA). I'd suggest a methodical approach to track down whatever's causing your issues. Disable your add-ons one by one until the issue goes away and if you disable them all and it's still happening try creating a fresh profile in about :profiles (without the space) and see if that's still affected.

Disabled everything and it still appeared, but a new profile did the trick!

Is there any way to "repair" my current profile? I'd rather not lose history / logins / etc.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Bieeanshee posted:

These are all set to false on my end, and I'm still getting the window-wide dropdown. Did I goof something up?

And gently caress letting Mozilla run telemetry on my machine. Opting me into one of their shithole 'studies' was already a bridge too far.

You need to restart your browser for "browser.urlbar.update1" to take effect.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The full window width dropdown was there on 74 though?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I am quite shocked at how much disdain is being spread around this thread. The new bar is that bad? They are experimenting with ideas and that is horrible? Mozilla is attempting to determine usage of their browser to improve it and hopefully retain users? This is all bad?

What are the solutions to these problems?

It sounds like Firefox needs to stagnate and never improve the UI.
It sounds like Firefox needs to never try to retain users.

I personally like the changes. Firefox has never been faster than the 70+ releases. The dev tools have become a dream to use and function very well with the complex JS apps I work on. The awesome-bar changes look great to me and really stand out against the content frames. I can run 1300+ tabs in Firefox with little slow downs....

Is it all bad?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

jink posted:

Is it all bad?

No, just

- fiddling with stuff that's better left alone. This is a problem in lots of software these days , so we're sensitive about it.
- adding tracking when they've built part of their brand on being an alternative to and a blocker of tracking.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I hate how it makes the URL bar bigger, but I can live with that. What I absolutely hate is that when it drops down, the only way I can make it disappear is to press ESC on my keyboard or click within the page content. Clicking on the browser chrome doesn't collapse the window. I have to make sure I'm clicking on the webpage itself and not accidentally clicking a link or something in the process. I just don't want to deal with that crap.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

jink posted:

I am quite shocked at how much disdain is being spread around this thread. The new bar is that bad? They are experimenting with ideas and that is horrible? Mozilla is attempting to determine usage of their browser to improve it and hopefully retain users? This is all bad?

Yes it is!
It covers bookmark bar, the text in it is at least half the width of the old one.
Firefox has a method to do tests called Testpilot, but they don't use it.
The new Awesomebar was in beta versions of Firefox and people complained and pointed out problems (like it being over bookmarks) but Mozilla ignored it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

jink posted:

Performance improvements are fine, but there’s no users calling for the basic UI to be radically changed every few months, and in particular, no one calling for it to be more like Chrome in any respect.

On the good side, adding PiP video recently is really handy, and performance overall seems fine for me.

It feels like Mozilla as an organisation are employing lots more UI designers than they actually need, and are constantly looking for things for them to do.

As long as uBlock Origin and Vimium both work fine, I don’t really care about additional extensions.

If they want to retain users they should focus more on avoiding issues with user profiles getting corrupted, avoiding issues with their own tracker blocking breaking sites, and getting their new rendering engine ready.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

jink posted:

I personally like the changes. Firefox has never been faster than the 70+ releases. The dev tools have become a dream to use and function very well with the complex JS apps I work on. The awesome-bar changes look great to me and really stand out against the content frames. I can run 1300+ tabs in Firefox with little slow downs....

Is it all bad?

The disdain is because Mozilla has a history of pushing unpopular decisions despite negative feedback. Experimenting is fine but they need to take that feedback into account, because it is harder to attract new users than retain existing ones. Sometimes you gotta break things, like the Quantum update to get the browser performance competitive again, but while people openly acknowledge leaving Firefox due to performance issues, nobody has ever said they left because the URL bar was lacking.

That they are suddenly springing default browser telemetry on us says to me that they have no idea why people are leaving. All they can see is their usage plummet and now they're desperately trying to figure out where the users are going, probably so they can chase features like they've been doing with Chrome for years. And has been said by others in this thread in the past: if you keep changing things to make Firefox identical to Chrome, what's stopping me from switching to Chrome?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

isndl posted:

That they are suddenly springing default browser telemetry on us says to me that they have no idea why people are leaving. All they can see is their usage plummet and now they're desperately trying to figure out where the users are going, probably so they can chase features like they've been doing with Chrome for years. And has been said by others in this thread in the past: if you keep changing things to make Firefox identical to Chrome, what's stopping me from switching to Chrome?
And all the people who're likely to turn off the telemetry are the people who might leave because of these changes they're implementing willy-nilly without using testpilot projects.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

We should hack that telemetry thing and make it send reports that we're all using the previous version of Firefox.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bug reports and complaints on random changes and the corresponding "get hosed this is how we'll do it" WONTFIX messages are really all you need to read to see where the browser is going :haw:

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Tom Tucker posted:

Disabled everything and it still appeared, but a new profile did the trick!

Is there any way to "repair" my current profile? I'd rather not lose history / logins / etc.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's death by a thousand papercuts. I've been reverting stupid UI changes for literally years, because they gently caress with my workflow or look like CSS glitches.

I was fine providing performance information when they asked me to, but I wouldn't have known about this if I wasn't reading this thread. If you ask me, I'm much more likely to say 'yes' than if you ask my forgiveness.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bieeanshee posted:

I was fine providing performance information when they asked me to, but I wouldn't have known about this if I wasn't reading this thread. If you ask me, I'm much more likely to say 'yes' than if you ask my forgiveness.
:same: I turned it all off after this. This was a really dumb decision.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I would just like to say thank you to this thread because my Firefox updated.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Im_Special posted:

You need to restart your browser for "browser.urlbar.update1" to take effect.

I've restarted twice, it's still there.

I'm really giving Vivaldi serious thought, now. There's really not a lot keeping me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Bieeanshee posted:

I've restarted twice, it's still there.

I'm really giving Vivaldi serious thought, now. There's really not a lot keeping me here.

any particular reason you favour specifically vivaldi? not too familiar with it (my backup browser is brave)