Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, but drawing it is so atrocious. Cycling 3 is so expensive for modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Rinkles posted:

dumb instinct or just wotc doing what it does best? their instinct wasn't to add more cool art to sets when they finally realized people really liked artstyles that veered outside their norm. their instinct was to find a way of monetizing it.

thats somehow even worse

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I wanted the UR Bicycle for my Niv-Mizzet deck. :qq:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Nolgthorn posted:

So what's the limit on the number of these you can have in a deck, is it 4

Nobody answered you in the last few pages, but you're right. They're not basic lands (the only cards without the 4-of restriction aside from cards that say so on them), so you can only have 4.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

this doesn't feel very rare to me..?

e: eh i guess it is... i'm not sure decks running uro want a colorless land though even if it draws them cards as a mana sink

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It’s repeatable card draw on a land. That’s always been a rare effect.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Bonder's Enclave is a whirlwind slam first pick in any Limited format. Repeatable card draw on a land is insane.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Look Around You posted:

this doesn't feel very rare to me..?

e: eh i guess it is... i'm not sure decks running uro want a colorless land though even if it draws them cards as a mana sink

That's cheaper to activate than arch of orazca with the only downside being that you can't use it after a wipe on an empty board. and Arch was being used in a lot of decks.

And even control is likely to have 4 power creatures in this format.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kurieg posted:

That's cheaper to activate than arch of orazca with the only downside being that you can't use it after a wipe on an empty board. and Arch was being used in a lot of decks.

And even control is likely to have 4 power creatures in this format.

Is UW running anything other than archon and trawler? Trawler only hits 4+ during your turn on its own and I don't think you're trying to do this on your own turn as control unless you really have to.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Eej posted:

Can Robbie Trevino just do all the land arts now thanks

yes

big Quinton Hoover vibes :rip:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
hail the almighty brushwagg

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

the 3c lands make this way better than it would be otherwise and it would already be very good

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

ungulateman posted:

hail the almighty brushwagg

- limited players expression meaning “this thing slaps”

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Honestly having a base creature that gives you trample on your large multicreature lad and a threat of activation actually seems pretty good, so that but unironically

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seems like a Fires card to me.

e: it's basically like having Kenrith's 3U ability on all your creatures.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 10, 2020

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Kinnan works with golden egg and guild globe right? I wonder if that's a good enough combo for standard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I doubt it honestly. In a format without 1 mana elves he's going to be worse than Paradise Druid most of the time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I doubt it honestly. In a format without 1 mana elves he's going to be worse than Paradise Druid most of the time.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The may that people reacted to this innocuous mythic is starting to make me think people will just freak out about any card with text on it that has Green and Blue mana in the cost without even thinking about it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/ikoria-lair-behemoths

full spoiler up

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hey, I'm late to the party but I think you must really, really like all-in aggro archetypes if you think that typed tri-taplands that cycle aren't quite good and an inevitable standard/pioneer/historic staple.

E: My only complaint is that this half of the cycle doesn't have a Grixis land.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 10, 2020

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The last ultimatum and companion

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hey, I'm late to the party but I think you must really, really like all-in aggro archetypes if you think that typed tri-taplands that cycle aren't quite good and an inevitable standard/pioneer/historic staple.

E: My only complaint is that this half of the cycle doesn't have a Grixis land.

The fact that they're typed doesn't mean poo poo in standard/pioneer/historic. (Well, I guess in standard it matters a little that some are Forests).

How much play do the Khans trilands see in pioneer? Do you honestly think that the expensive cycling ability is such a gamechanger that will cause these to see play where those don't?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Another “excess damage” card. Feel like this is one that has the opportunity to win quite a few games.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jabor posted:

The fact that they're typed doesn't mean poo poo in standard/pioneer/historic. (Well, I guess in standard it matters a little that some are Forests).

How much play do the Khans trilands see in pioneer? Do you honestly think that the expensive cycling ability is such a gamechanger that will cause these to see play where those don't?

Do people not play checklands in pioneer/historic? I think checklands are quite good with shocklands, and will be good with these. The cycling ability means they aren't a dead peel late game. I honestly don't know what's not to like. There's a huge difference between peeling a khans land late game and dropping it onto the table with a sigh and peeling one of these, bluffing a counterspell till their endstep, and cycling it away for an actual card IMO.

I think it would be possible to go too hard on them and make a manabase that's too slow, but typed 3-color fixing with late game cycle away ability seems quite good for a build that doesn't just want to jam in with little red cavalcade dorks or whatever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Every land is playable in standard, fixing is at an absolute premium there so no one is debating if these will see standard play.

As for Pioneer, there is a chance these see play in small numbers but they will in no way be staples. Your comment is also confusing, because aggro players should want people to play these because they are slow as hell and don't combat aggressive strategies at all.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

Every land is playable in standard, fixing is at an absolute premium there so no one is debating if these will see standard play.

As for Pioneer, there is a chance these see play in small numbers but they will in no way be staples. Your comment is also confusing, because aggro players should want people to play these because they are slow as hell and don't combat aggressive strategies at all.

I meant in the sense they don't obv. go in aggro decks. I really think any 3c control or to a lesser degree midrange deck is going to want a couple of these to turn on checklands and get fixed early. I think people are really sleeping on how much upside the late game cycling is. The Amonkhet duals that were like this were quite good, and I think adding a land type at the cost of one more mana to flush away makes these arguably better (obv if you're in those three colors).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The reason you play a shock/check manabase is so that you have consistently untapped mana of the colours you want. If your lands always come into play tapped then you don't have that. We already have typed lands that cycle away late-game (and have a better cycling ability to boot), and those also see no play at all.

Even if you're not jamming in with aggro dorks, you will be playing against people that are, and taking turns off or playing off-curve in the early game because your lands come into play tapped will mean that you lose the game before ever doing anything.

The reasons to play always-tapped lands are:
- The lands have huge upside. Think man-lands.
- You're playing dorky multiplayer Commander where nobody does anything before turn 5, and you personally playing off-curve doesn't matter because it lets other people at the table have a go at each other instead of at you.
- You're playing Standard where you play the lands you've got in the format, instead of the lands you want.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Tainen posted:

Another “excess damage” card. Feel like this is one that has the opportunity to win quite a few games.

I did a double take when I saw this was an instant. :aaaaa:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Getting closer...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Yoked posted:

I did a double take when I saw this was an instant. :aaaaa:

Whoah. That is a big upgrade over Rabid Bite.

If the creature also has Deathtouch, does anything more than 1 count as "excess"?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Im pretty sure the only Bicycle land that sees any play in eternal formats in Irrigated farmland, in a single deck in pioneer (UW control).

That should be extremely telling.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tainen posted:

This one is going to feel absolutely terrible to be on the receiving end of. Carefully line up my 3 dudes to take out his trampler and leave me a live, then he fights one and overkills me for 10. Definite blowout potential.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Love that green just gets conditional burn at instant speed too.

Green really does get to do everything now, huh.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The flavor text seems extra clunky this set, for whatever reason.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Some interesting “counters” cards. I like the design space these open up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

finally, a marmo set

oh no :ohdear:

pretty crab

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jabor posted:

4/5 castles see Standard play and Garenbrig even shows up from time to time, probably more now that we have behemoths

In answer to your question yes absolutely 100% two U/G/x decks in a long mid-range grudge match will absolutely love cycling these lands to draw gas

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

release notes are up

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ikoria-lair-behemoths-and-commander-2020-edition-release-notes-2020-04-10