Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ZZZorcerer posted:

(Horizon is coming to PC this year). But Bloodborne, God of War, Spiderman, Last of Us, Shadow of Colossus, Last Guardian ...
plenty of reasons to own a PS4.

I know you are trying to help, but ugh. Finding a used PS4 has been difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Honestly I've never played any God of War game except the newest one and that game is probably in my top 20.

I think somebody called it a sad dad game and it's the perfect descriptor..

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Ragequit posted:

I know you are trying to help, but ugh. Finding a used PS4 has been difficult.

There's going to be a lot of used PS4/Pros on the market close to the PS5 release so... just wait until then and grab one cheap !

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Shut the gently caress up its final fantasy 7 time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
bed time because i have work lol

looking forward to playing it tomorrow afternoon though, have fun friends

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ZZZorcerer posted:

There's going to be a lot of used PS4/Pros on the market close to the PS5 release so... just wait until then and grab one cheap !

Not a bad idea - I can probably wait until the fall.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Seems like the intro parts used a lot of dialog from the original verbatim, and it sounds pretty weird when it's spoken out. Also like half the main cast really want to get in Cloud's pants. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Aerith's mom would want a piece of him too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ah yes, time for weed and ffviir

finally

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

esperterra posted:

ah yes, time for weed and ffviir

finally

Pro high game

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Game good

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the bg dialogue the other party members are doin having a lil chat log to the side is Very Good

Jessie's thirst is alrdy comedy gold

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

RC Cola posted:

Game good

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jessie is my best friend.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It took me an embarrassingly long time running in circles on the rooftops to find where I was going. Kept going back to those little dropoffs that Cloud *should* be able to hop down but won't :argh:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1248467018652606466?s=20

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I started playing at midnight and put it down just now and already have no idea what these curveballs mean

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's great so far, even if I suck and somehow did worse on the guard scorpion than I did during the demo. Used like 12 drat potions.

There's a pretty early materia (Chapter 2 I guess) that seemed easy to miss. In the streets, I think close to where you first fight the guards with shields, there was a materia lying in the street next to one of the cars. I think it looked like a blue/white glowy. Deadly Dodge or something, it was called.

Also, for people wondering about the Butterfinger DLC (I think it's still available to get if you want).

2 bars: Bangle with 1 materia slot
4 bars: Bangle with 2 unlinked materia slots
6 bars: Bangle with 2 linked materia slots. Pretty good, since your starting gear has 0 slots
8 bars: Accessory that prevents you from dying once per battle (not counting instant KO attacks)
10 bars: Accessory that reduces damage from fire/ice/lightning/wind

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Music’s real good. Really tugging at the ole heartstrings there.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

FuriousGeorge posted:

Music’s real good. Really tugging at the ole heartstrings there.

I fanboy'd hard soon after the beginning of the game when you fight the Shinra troops surrounding you on the bridge in Sector 8 and the full version of "Let the Battles Begin" starts playing.

Another music bit: I like how the songs you collect for the jukebox have their own album covers.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I noticed immediately the better mixes of the music from the demo immediately after the demo area, also cutting that scene from the demo was a weird choice.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sephiroth's VA is ........ not good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

credburn posted:

In preparation for this I just played through Crisis Core, which I never gave a chance before because I thought it was some dumb hack n slash nonsense loosely attached to the franchise but holy poo poo.

It was so good.
Crisis Core is superb. Prequels are not easy and it does everything right: it uses the foregone conclusions for dramatic tension, makes you care anyway, and actually clarifies some of the more confusing elements of FF7 and retroactively makes it better. Plus it's a good game; the combat is satisfying and the slot machine mechanic could have been idiotic but instead it's a lot of fun and the way they use it at the end is legitimately heartbreaking. I'm holding out hope it gets a remake too, or at least a remaster. It'd be a neat thing to include in Remake 3 or whatever the last one is.

Anyway, the game is absolutely great so far and the new plot elements are interesting. Spoilers for late Chapter 1/early Chapter 2: I'm not sure I love Shinra using your ultimately failed attack to false-flag themselves, especially if the game wants to rub your nose in the catastrophe right after. I'd feel bad if it was my fault, but you just showed me it wasn't, so instead... yeah, yeah, Shinra is bastards, that's got a lot less emotional weight.

Also I just want to lay down this guess because if I'm right I'm gonna feel really smug: I'm really wondering if putting "Remake" in the title is actually a clue. Hallucinated Sephiroth talking about "her body yielding to cold steel" could be referring to swatting Tifa away in Nibelheim, but... that wasn't with his sword? And that's not really the words I'd use to describe it? But what it does describe well is the literal first thing anyone thinks of when it comes to Sephiroth, especially Sephiroth in conjuction with a "her". Is he talking about killing Aerith? And if weird future knowledge is in play, I wonder if the robed smoke figures are maybe the original party, trying to reach back and alter events? Are they trying to save Aerith? Is someone, or multiple someones, trying to literally Remake Final Fantasy 7?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 10, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CapnAndy posted:

Hallucinated Sephiroth talking about "her body yielding to cold steel" could be referring to swatting Tifa away in Nibelheim, but... that wasn't with his sword? And that's not really the words I'd use to describe it? But what it does describe well is the literal first thing anyone thinks of when it comes to Sephiroth, especially Sephiroth in conjuction with a "her". Is he talking about killing Aerith? And if weird future knowledge is in play, I wonder if the robed smoke figures are maybe the original party, trying to reach back and alter events? Are they trying to save Aerith? Is someone, or multiple someones, trying to literally Remake Final Fantasy 7?

I assumed he was talking about Cloud's mom, since he's just been talking about burning Cloud's town down and such, and something about her "begging [Sephiroth] to spare [Cloud], which neither Tifa nor Aerith did or would do. And Cloud had been calling out for his mother.

poo poo, are we supposed to move all spoiler talk to the other thread, still?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Got a few hours in, its fun so far!

Only real quibble is seems Ice materia spells can miss? I keep seeing them do zero damage, the other magic I have used so far always homes in on the opponent and hits, ice kinda sets like a delayed bomb and enemies always scamper out of the way before it connects.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Spent the evening playing Jackbox and virtual boardgames with friends while giving half hourly "only X hours until Final Fantasy VII Remake!" updates. Went to bed and dreamt about playing Final Fantasy VII Remake. Now I am getting out of bed so I can play Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

CapnAndy posted:

Crisis Core is superb. Prequels are not easy and it does everything right: it uses the foregone conclusions for dramatic tension, makes you care anyway, and actually clarifies some of the more confusing elements of FF7 and retroactively makes it better. Plus it's a good game; the combat is satisfying and the slot machine mechanic could have been idiotic but instead it's a lot of fun and the way they use it at the end is legitimately heartbreaking. I'm holding out hope it gets a remake too, or at least a remaster. It'd be a neat thing to include in Remake 3 or whatever the last one is.

Anyway, the game is absolutely great so far and the new plot elements are interesting. Spoilers for late Chapter 1/early Chapter 2: I'm not sure I love Shinra using your ultimately failed attack to false-flag themselves, especially if the game wants to rub your nose in the catastrophe right after. I'd feel bad if it was my fault, but you just showed me it wasn't, so instead... yeah, yeah, Shinra is bastards, that's got a lot less emotional weight.

Also I just want to lay down this guess because if I'm right I'm gonna feel really smug: I'm really wondering if putting "Remake" in the title is actually a clue. Hallucinated Sephiroth talking about "her body yielding to cold steel" could be referring to swatting Tifa away in Nibelheim, but... that wasn't with his sword? And that's not really the words I'd use to describe it? But what it does describe well is the literal first thing anyone thinks of when it comes to Sephiroth, especially Sephiroth in conjuction with a "her". Is he talking about killing Aerith? And if weird future knowledge is in play, I wonder if the robed smoke figures are maybe the original party, trying to reach back and alter events? Are they trying to save Aerith? Is someone, or multiple someones, trying to literally Remake Final Fantasy 7?

Sephiroth absolutely "swats" Tifa away with his sword. He slashes her right across the torso and sends her flying down the stairs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cloud hits a lot of people with the sharp bit of a 200kg meat cleaver and afterwards they're like "let's get out of here!"

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
The buster sword is one of those things that looked really cool on the back of a SD lego man, but looks odd on the back of a man sized man.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A lot of the ambient dialogue in crowded areas seems to deadass just be old rando NPC dialogue and I appreciate it

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Evil Canadian posted:

Only real quibble is seems Ice materia spells can miss? I keep seeing them do zero damage, the other magic I have used so far always homes in on the opponent and hits, ice kinda sets like a delayed bomb and enemies always scamper out of the way before it connects.

Jup, ice can miss on mobile enemies. Good news, you can also dodge it fairly easily

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Was there a day one patch at all? I left my PS4 in sleep and I dunno if it would have dled

edit: looks like no. Huh I would have thought they'd want that texture issue fixed by today

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 10, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

esperterra posted:

Sephiroth's VA is ........ not good.
I'm pretty sure the best english VA Sephiroth has had was legitimately the guy from NSync.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So I know that you gotta sync 100% with a weapon to gain its weapon ability for good, but are the various skills such as the stat boosts you gain from each weapon skill tree permanent no matter what weapon you have equipped?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tifa status: still the best

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Game is good. Tifa is really fun to play as. Cloud looks completely out of place running around in his outfit when everyone else is dressed more or less normally.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I love how they even got the interplay between the two guards right after the train station.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Evil Canadian posted:

Only real quibble is seems Ice materia spells can miss?

Technically, I think they can all miss, but fire arcs straight towards whoever you throw it at and lightning gets called down near instantly, so Ice's weird mine thing is just more easy for the AI to avoid by accident.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Viridiant posted:

So I know that you gotta sync 100% with a weapon to gain its weapon ability for good, but are the various skills such as the stat boosts you gain from each weapon skill tree permanent no matter what weapon you have equipped?

No they're bound to the weapons. Each weapon isn't a straight upgrade, they've all got individual perks. The buster sword remains a good all-rounder for the entire game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really loved walking around the slums listening to the incidental dialogue. I hope the game opens up a little bit soon and allows me to explore a bit more freely.

If they can keep this to three parts and release each part within two years, then I think I'll be ok with the format they've chosen. At the moment my main worry is that all of the systems will go out the window and there won't be any cohesion between the parts - because that's what Square does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

stev posted:

I really loved walking around the slums listening to the incidental dialogue. I hope the game opens up a little bit soon and allows me to explore a bit more freely.

If they can keep this to three parts and release each part within two years, then I think I'll be ok with the format they've chosen. At the moment my main worry is that all of the systems will go out the window and there won't be any cohesion between the parts - because that's what Square does.

I think they'll keep the gameplay because it owns. Hopefully the new fast loading console generation means less slow walks and tight squeezes.