Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
For the windfarm I basically had it set up with a zipline from the entrance of the BT area and then you have them set up so you go north to the other wall side and then work that wall to the windfarm.

I'm usually somebody who just looks online how to set up things like that but I found it much funner making my own routes with the chiral network ziplines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's a little easier if you go around the edges of the zone, less pixel hunting of where poo poo fits without falling off, but it's still a pain in the rear end.

I wish they'd slow down timefall damage significantly because it's annoying, and frankly cheaper to just re-construct than to upgrade and keep repairing.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I think the combination of a smartly placed zipline (according to the game's hidden parameters anyway) and upgrading it to level 3 seems to save them. If you need materials for the upgrades, places refill their own supply over time (gameplay time it seems). If you haven't visited a place in a while it's likely maxed out with chemicals. Of course getting to some rarely visited places is more difficult before you have a zipline setup established.

Turned the game on and I had a million likes...poo poo. I had wanted to get BB to give me my millionth and screencap it. Guess I have to go beat up some porters

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

night slime posted:

I think the combination of a smartly placed zipline (according to the game's hidden parameters anyway) and upgrading it to level 3 seems to save them. If you need materials for the upgrades, places refill their own supply over time (gameplay time it seems). If you haven't visited a place in a while it's likely maxed out with chemicals. Of course getting to some rarely visited places is more difficult before you have a zipline setup established.

Turned the game on and I had a million likes...poo poo. I had wanted to get BB to give me my millionth and screencap it. Guess I have to go beat up some porters

Crumbs! I got to just over 600,000 after 160 ish hours and I'm done with it now. It's bizarre how some bridges to nowhere end up with six figure likes.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gambrinus posted:

Crumbs! I got to just over 600,000 after 160 ish hours and I'm done with it now. It's bizarre how some bridges to nowhere end up with six figure likes.

i think cjacobs explained this earlier in the thread but people figured out the route catchers drag you into combat and people put bridges there. any time you cross a bridge it gets likes. they're literally totally useless, but they farm likes.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

rabidsquid posted:

i think cjacobs explained this earlier in the thread but people figured out the route catchers drag you into combat and people put bridges there. any time you cross a bridge it gets likes. they're literally totally useless, but they farm likes.

Couldn’t you do this more efficiently with signs? They don’t cost any chiral bandwidth, and restoring stamina/BB health to every poor bastard who gets caught by BTs is more likely to earn you legitimate future likes from those players from helping them out. You know, like the game wants you to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwwRAUcKwsE
(post-game footage but there's only minor equipment spoilers)

For anyone who might be interested, I've got a real, 'proper' let's play of the game starting on the 25th. It'll be extensive, in-depth, slow-paced and a bunch of other adjectives that make it sound good.

I put a whole lot of effort into it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The true Death Stranding LP experience is watching the player fall off a cliff in the first 5 minutes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's also plenty of that don't worry

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

Looks promising, I'll be sure to check it out when it drops.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I'm going to let you fellow goons in on a not-so-secret secret.

Spalec posted:

So is Kojima actually a time traveler or what?

quote:

Really is quite crazy how applicable the themes of Death Stranding are to the current world situation. Isolation, reliance on telecommunication and delivery workers in the face of a worldwide quarantine. Dude is a prophet.

Ever get deja vu when watching a film or playing a game but can't quite place it?

This has all happened before in a different way. If you're genuinely interested then start reading the history books from the 'Scythians' and move forward through ancient to today (combined with philosophy and the symbolism inherent within it) and you'll see the basis for his views. Most books, music, film and games use the same blueprint. Truth is stranger than fiction, it's what it's based off of and those who seek answers find them. Those who don't seek spend their lives buying their stories and thinking they are prophets with some unnatural gift.

-

Here's an example. Every X amount of years a champion (a messiah, a 'hoped for deliverer' or in arabic iirc a 'traveller') is called to unite the disparate clans that have fractured but were once whole. Armed in the latest technology he fights through an army of heathens/aliens/demons/ghosts/bts/etc to bring peace to the unconnected tribes/groups/nations/ideologies/etc. Sounds like death stranding right? What about Warcraft 3 too? I could go on.

It began with horse archers and chariots, eventually ended up with men in full suits of iron armour and now has upgraded to men in full suits of kevlar and eventually space suits. That's the warrior view which Kojima understands that they were the traders of each period and are always active, are globalists, who know no borders and will move to where the money or action is to ensure that they not only survive but truly live or thrive. The mercenaries and traders are the ones who hold true to 'freedom' as a tradition and do not adhere to the usurping ideologies of the state or religion. Queue queens princes of the universe song.

All of Kojimas games have the same philosophical basis. It's refreshing to finally see him have full control of his vision.

quote:

He also says stuff like "Man I shoulda been born a mountain goat"

I wonder why. Sam is a biblical name too, right? Try googling "etymology of the word tragedy".

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 10, 2020

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I have fought Mads Mikklesen twice now and still have no idea what the gently caress. Game is still rad.

If any of you guys are still playing this give me that PSN so we can do strand contracts. Very cool id a.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I am now in the third encounter with Mads and I am getting pissed off with it. Went into it relatively naked, so it's an easy phase one, and if I gently caress up I throw 20 minutes away. I do not like these fights. Gunplay in this game is not good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not the game's strong suit for sure. My tip is don't move Sam while firing, line up a shot and then stand still while you fire, your aim will be much more stable that way. Also consider not even bothering with the 'real' guns, the BT handgun works wonders on Cliff and his :yohoho: crew if you can find one. I assumed the blood weapons wouldn't do anything since they're not BTs but they're actually super strong. Firing normal lethal bullets through a blood grenade cloud downs them almost instantly.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Shotguns are the best bet with those episodes, though the vietnam area is really difficult to navigate.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

night slime posted:

Shotguns are the best bet with those episodes, though the vietnam area is really difficult to navigate.

I can stealth the entire first section and rope kick Mads into the next phase, it's just that the next two he eats bullets and if I get detected I die immediately. Bad fight.

BB!

night slime
May 14, 2014
Probably nothing you didn't know but I would run around and collect cryobiotes and blood bags before engaging, they give you like 2 or 3 more lifelines while fighting. Do you have the speed skeleton equipped? That helps a lot.

Also you can turn down the difficulty to easy, nothing of consequence happens if you do.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

night slime posted:

Probably nothing you didn't know but I would run around and collect cryobiotes and blood bags before engaging, they give you like 2 or 3 more lifelines while fighting. Do you have the speed skeleton equipped? That helps a lot.

Also you can turn down the difficulty to easy, nothing of consequence happens if you do.

Went at it drunk tonight, if I can't do it tomorrow after work I'll drop down to normal for sure.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, remember that you can slam some cryptobiotes for emergency health even if you're in the middle of being turned into swiss cheese. If you hit the button multiple times before leaving the menu Sam will munch on more of them at once. Normally I do not approve of chowing down on the little floating friends but desperate times call for desperate measures.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

There's literally zero point to playing it on anything but easy because all it does is make the fights harder and if you're playing it right you shouldn't be fighting anything anyways so the point is moot.

Crank it to hard when you're doing LoL missions in post-game and armed to the teeth anyways.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There's literally zero point to playing it on anything but easy because all it does is make the fights harder and if you're playing it right you shouldn't be fighting anything anyways so the point is moot.

Crank it to hard when you're doing LoL missions in post-game and armed to the teeth anyways.

There is value in getting LoL ranks during the story so you don’t burn out on the game. I was planning to get the plat on this but just ran out of gas in the endgame a month ago. I still need to go back and get the rest of the memory chips.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I’m just past the second Mikkelsen Gone Mad episode and I found that they’re most enjoyable when played like a Metal Gear boss in reverse; you typically can’t avoid a gunfight with the first wave of the Skull Unit, but once they’re gone, disengage from Cliff immediately. He will eventually lose track of you and it becomes possible to sneak up from behind with the strand for a CQC takedown.

Remember that it’s a sneaking mission; the use of sandalweed is required, and you’ll want to have Sam hold his breath as soon as the odradek turns orange and spins, if not sooner. Mashing the Attack Button during the strand takedown animation ensures you’ll get in a kick before he recovers, and he will recover, so scramble back into cover yourself while he does so.

edit: I don't know exactly what equipment you can bring to the battlefield, but I specifically remember that equipped armor plates will appear near the start of the episode. Also, S-rank deliveries to the Doctor or the Novelist's Son, respectively (difficulty doesn't matter) will reward you with triple-capacity blood bags and cryptobiotes that fully heal you.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 10, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Once you get him alone you also get the opportunity to do some :krad: poo poo like this

https://i.imgur.com/SZz6d57.mp4

Kiefer voice: CONSECUTIVE C! Q! C!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 10, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX4Of2bSyCY

Here's that legendary MGS sandbox youtuber from way back in the day messin' with Mads. Turns out most of the usual MGSV stealth dickery still works! Spoilers for Cliff's chapters obviously, no story stuff though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 10, 2020

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

What a dope loving game. I'm seriously impressed. Despite the trademark Kojima exposition dump at the end, the story was great. Almost teared up a bit. I have a couple questions that I am sure were answered and I just missed it, but I am really happy I played through it. Looking forward to now going through and being Super Fed Ex Man in the post game.

Very glad I did not spoil myself on this game at all. Very worth experiencing. Turns out Kojima can absolutely make a good rear end game without oversight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Great success! :woop:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Once you get him alone you also get the opportunity to do some :krad: poo poo like this

https://i.imgur.com/SZz6d57.mp4

Kiefer voice: CONSECUTIVE C! Q! C!

This clip just kind of makes me sad in retrospect

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So are spoilers still a thing in this thread? I guess it doesn't matter in this case for the question, but at the very beginning of the game there is a throwaway line where Bridget remarks to Sam "I know you hate me." Is the reason for this expanded on somewhere? My understanding was that she wanted Sam to go West immediately after his family died, but I don't really recall it ever being addressed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're actually about to unlock the logs that give all that some major context, there's a whole new series of interviews to unlock in the post game from Sam's wife that explain exactly what happened to them before the game's events. Based on their contents I don't think Sam has 'canonically' read them, they're just a little bonus for us.

In that instance I think Bridget was just projecting though. Sam probably doesn't hate his mother, he hates what she represents to him and to the world at large. She just feels like he does because he isolated himself from society, which was like the opposite of her life's goal.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 11, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also imo we should still spoiler tag story beats because I bet this thread will have a lot of new players on PC coming in two months or so.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Also imo we should still spoiler tag story beats because I bet this thread will have a lot of new players on PC coming in two months or so.

Yeah that's a good call, I really would not want this game to be spoiled for anyone. It's so good.

edit: I never thought I'd say it, but goddamn should all of those interviews have been tapes you could listen to in the world. Same with all the music you unlock.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This clip just kind of makes me sad in retrospect

In retrospect it's weird to think about how many times I tied up and dickstomped my dad.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

mycot posted:

In retrospect it's weird to think about how many times I tied up and dickstomped my dad.

"I just...want you to be happy."

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX4Of2bSyCY

Here's that legendary MGS sandbox youtuber from way back in the day messin' with Mads. Turns out most of the usual MGSV stealth dickery still works! Spoilers for Cliff's chapters obviously, no story stuff though.

drat he really kicks the gently caress out of him at 12:11. Where the hell did he learn that poo poo delivering...

Yeah I would keep (endgame) spoiler tagging for a while because of how contingent the game is on big reveals. Even saying something like ¨her" or ¨dad" can be pretty bad so keeping up with prudence is best IMO.

I´m playing FF7 remake now and I keep pressing the odradek button and wanting to hit to touchpad to shout. Also I googled odradek to see if I spelled it right and apparently the name is from a Kafka story, I guess Heartman elaborates in an e-mail that I must have skimmed over. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cares_of_a_Family_Man

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mycot posted:

Wouldn't be a Kojima game without a more than healthy amount of fistfighting between estranged family members.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sky: Children of Light is out on android it does feel like a Strand Game.

I might play it every now and then even though I have no idea what's going on

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ffff I finally got the 20 Legend of Legends in each category trophy. There are several easy time based orders in the eastern area once you build out the zip lines. I can definitely get the plat now.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

This game is fun and good..almost kind of makes up for not being able to go out hiking yet..

Looking forward to the PC release for ultrawide screen good times.

night slime
May 14, 2014
A while ago I had trouble getting the LoL delivery star to be the same color as the rest because when I first started playing I didn´t understand the deliveries were real-time and I left a few orders going for like a month of gameplay. Seppuku worthy porter offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, I'm on Chapter 3 at the moment and I just skimmed through some guy's speedrun of it out of curiosity. Realized I have not been nearly ballsy enough with this game and I also learned I could double-jump? He made crossing streams look so easy with it (not to be confused with crossing the streams, which would be bad). I just got to the weather station and I wish I had taken my trike with me because I apparently gave up super easily on it when I saw the rough terrain surrounding the river.