Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Anyone seen Extra Ordinary yet? The indie theater is streaming it and Will Forte can be really hit or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Kung Fury is embarrassing monkey cheese bullshit made up of what they think are signifiers of 80s nostalgia but is really just rapidfire unfunny internet memes from 15 years ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Kung Fury is embarrassing monkey cheese bullshit made up of what they think are signifiers of 80s nostalgia but is really just rapidfire unfunny internet memes from 15 years ago.

To be fair, Danger 5 season 2 has a bit of that, which is partially why I don't love it so much.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Well gently caress, Nobuhiko Obayashi, director of HOUSE, died.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Ah man, RIP

I’m not surprised, he apparently was fighting terminal cancer for most of the last decade and outfoxed his projected death date by like five years, though, and credited making movies worth keeping him going, so at least he went out on top.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I also watched Tiger King, and I think that discussion was in the ~13 pages I skipped here but that's a wild-rear end and entertaining show that definitely cares more about the spectacle and telling a story than discovering the truth. Joe should be in prison, I have no clue if Carole killed her husband, Doc Antle and Jeff Lowe should also spend time behind bars.

Tiger King doesn’t really have a thesis overall, especially because of the episodic structure, but it’s so discursive that they tend to touch on something occasionally.

I’d say the actual point is in how the characters make basically no distinction between a nonprofit organization and a for-profit criminal enterprise - arguing there’s no difference between recruiting volunteers in a charity and starting a sex cult, etc. More than this, there’s seemingly little difference in the eyes of the law, and the documentarians don’t emphasize it either.

So the murder plot hook really becomes a distraction. The cool-rear end federal prosecutor lady’s like “we need to show that a Tiger King isn’t above the laws of the USA”, or whatever, but he successfully got away with all manner of egregious poo poo by being beneath the law. Paying the employees something like two bucks an hour gets an early offhand mention, and then dropped because it’s not too spectacular, when that’s pretty much the worst thing to occur in the series.

In that way, the documentary unfortunately gets caught up in the very logic of its subjects, because it’s all about this facade of conspicuous consumption. Lord Antle’s “employees” are evidently given individual McMansions, but they aren’t getting paid.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I went to a screening of House where he did a lengthy Q+A and he was exactly as delightful as you'd expect. He also did a spot on Tarzan yell. After the thing he signed my House blu-ray. I'm glad I went to that because it was really fun and I figured it was probably a once in a lifetime thing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

porfiria posted:

Is there a directory of the SubG Star Trek posts anywhere?

I don't know if it's hosted online anywhere, but if you let me know your email address I can email you an archived copy I have that someone else made.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TrixRabbi posted:

I hate that film. People making pastiches of things they don't actually understand is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

:(

House is amazing, and it's really sad that the majority of his films aren't available outside of Japan. Criterion Channel has House, plus his short experimental Emotion, and Sada, which I highly recommend.

This Youtube channel also has some of his films with English subtitles, so watch them before they go back into private torrents.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNr22mpUvcIqP8Xc-hH4ASw

"His Motorbike, Her Island" and "Bound for the Fields, the Mountains, and the Seacoast" are just as good if not better than House.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Electronico6 posted:

:(

House is amazing, and it's really sad that the majority of his films aren't available outside of Japan. Criterion Channel has House, plus his short experimental Emotion, and Sada, which I highly recommend.

This Youtube channel also has some of his films with English subtitles, so watch them before they go back into private torrents.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNr22mpUvcIqP8Xc-hH4ASw

"His Motorbike, Her Island" and "Bound for the Fields, the Mountains, and the Seacoast" are just as good if not better than House.

Blessings on you and your house and on everyone you meet

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I went to a screening of House where he did a lengthy Q+A and he was exactly as delightful as you'd expect. He also did a spot on Tarzan yell. After the thing he signed my House blu-ray. I'm glad I went to that because it was really fun and I figured it was probably a once in a lifetime thing.

I was there but didn't think to bring my BluRay to get signed :(

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The Virgin Tiger King vs the Chad Grizzly Man, discuss.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Tiger King doesn’t really have a thesis overall, especially because of the episodic structure, but it’s so discursive that they tend to touch on something occasionally.

I’d say the actual point is in how the characters make basically no distinction between a nonprofit organization and a for-profit criminal enterprise - arguing there’s no difference between recruiting volunteers in a charity and starting a sex cult, etc. More than this, there’s seemingly little difference in the eyes of the law, and the documentarians don’t emphasize it either.

So the murder plot hook really becomes a distraction. The cool-rear end federal prosecutor lady’s like “we need to show that a Tiger King isn’t above the laws of the USA”, or whatever, but he successfully got away with all manner of egregious poo poo by being beneath the law. Paying the employees something like two bucks an hour gets an early offhand mention, and then dropped because it’s not too spectacular, when that’s pretty much the worst thing to occur in the series.

In that way, the documentary unfortunately gets caught up in the very logic of its subjects, because it’s all about this facade of conspicuous consumption. Lord Antle’s “employees” are evidently given individual McMansions, but they aren’t getting paid.

I found the labor episode of the series to be the most compelling because it gets into those issues. It's also where the effort to draw an equivalence between the sanctuary and the private zoos is the most obvious because of what you mention. Yeah, exploiting volunteer labor is unethical when Baskin has the means to pay people, but the volunteers all seem to be hobbyists and/or retirees, not people dependent on their boss for a living. I wish someone had asked Baskin what distinguishes her sanctuary from a private zoo. Even if she didn't have a persuasive answer, it would at least be interesting.

The other issue I have with the series is that it's more interested in the human drama of the zoo owners and employees than the actual conditions and fates of the tigers. "Too much king, not enough tiger" is what I said in my Letterboxd review. I found this disappointing because I didn't find Joe Exotic to be that unusual. He's like any other pseudo white trash guy with a lot of cash to spend and a lot of debt. They have the same aesthetic sense, the same obsession with guns and violence, the same toxic relationships, the same problems with substance abuse, and the same political opinions. Most people like him end up running for local offices and winning, it's just that Exotic didn't realize that was an option. The thing that makes Joe Exotic a unique figure are his tigers, and eventually the show just treats them like generic property assets keeping his ambitions and appetites afloat.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

pospysyl posted:

I wish someone had asked

This is my main problem with the show

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/FilmBart/status/1248668653781807104?s=20

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Big Cat rescue is an organization I feel very strongly about so Tiger King is one of the most infuriating things I've ever seen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kung Fury reminds me of the line from LCD Soundsystem's I'm Losing My Edge by LCD Soundsystem

quote:

I'm losing my edge to the art-school Brooklynites in little jackets and borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered eighties.

It tries really hard to be 80s but feels like it's made by someone whose only knowledge of the decade is from someone else describing Vaporwave music videos.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

I was there but didn't think to bring my BluRay to get signed :(

You can look at mine. If it's ever safe to leave the house again I might let you breathe near it some day.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

gonna breathe unknown pathogens all over that bad boy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That really bums me out. House is always a hit whenever I show it to someone new. It feels so fresh, even 40 years later.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Talk poo poo about Marvel and this is what you get, ya mooks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kung Fury reminds me of the line from LCD Soundsystem's I'm Losing My Edge by LCD Soundsystem

It tries really hard to be 80s but feels like it's made by someone whose only knowledge of the decade is from someone else describing Vaporwave music videos.

The director was born in like 89 or something. He did not experience the 80s.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I really hope it happens though the book didn’t exactly scream out for an adaptation. Definitely curious to see how Marty would force it into shape though

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think the key to 1980s pastiche (besides just not doing what Kung Fury does) is to incorporate some of that lingering 1970s miasma. House Of The Devil, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Hobo With a Shotgun, and even Planet Terror get that.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
You're onto something there, as the musical groups that are spearheading the 80's revival in contemporary music by similarly embracing that feeling of dread like Chromatics and The Weeknd.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

gonna breathe unknown pathogens all over that bad boy

I wish more men would say this to me.

Lurdiak posted:

The director was born in like 89 or something. He did not experience the 80s.

Someone who told me they were a "90s kid" also told me he was born in 1997. That mother fucker isn't even old enough to remember 9/11.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kung Fury is the same kind of "Nostalgia" as Far Cry: Blood Dragon.

Well, at least for me. Both were just fun poo poo

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I think the key to 1980s pastiche (besides just not doing what Kung Fury does) is to incorporate some of that lingering 1970s miasma.
There's always end-of-decade runoff as the new decade tries to figure out what the gently caress it is. 1983 was just 1979+4. A lot of my childhood memories of the early-to-mid '80s were tan as hell, it took a little while for the neon to kick in.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

KVeezy3 posted:

You're onto something there, as the musical groups that are spearheading the 80's revival in contemporary music by similarly embracing that feeling of dread like Chromatics and The Weeknd.

That's definitely a part of it, but I'm not even going that abstract. Hobo With A Shotgun's title card uses a font (and an overall design) that's outdated for 1980s, and House Of The Devil's lead actress is seemingly cast for her resemblance to Jessica Harper. Meanwhile, Beyond The Black Rainbow is set in 1983, but bears a lot of similarity to stuff like Phase IV and THX 1138 because most of the backstory occurred in the 1970s.

You don't usually have a those super-clear delinations between time periods, unless we're talking references to specific events like the Hays code

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That's definitely a part of it, but I'm not even going that abstract. Hobo With A Shotgun's title card uses a font (and an overall design) that's outdated for 1980s, and House Of The Devil's lead actress is seemingly cast for her resemblance to Jessica Harper. Meanwhile, Beyond The Black Rainbow is set in 1983, but bears a lot of similarity to stuff like Phase IV and THX 1138 because most of the backstory occurred in the 1970s.

You don't usually have a those super-clear delinations between time periods, unless we're talking references to specific events like the Hays code

BTBR’s onscreen backstory is all in the 60s (though of course implicitly stuff happened in between) and then Mandy also features a hippie adjacent cult and focuses on that late 70s into the early 80s wave of fantasy novels, very Moorcock/Gene Wolfe kind of poo poo. I think you’re right that it’s about a sense of history, but not just the 70s but even the 60s, you can’t really extricate the new age poo poo, self help business culture, health cults, reaganomics, etc from their antecedents in the first Nixon administration

Also since I’m listening to Red literally at this moment, let’s not forget that Mandy opens with an extended section from a track released in 74

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 11, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

BTBR’s onscreen backstory is all in the 60s (though of course implicitly stuff happened in between) and then Mandy also features a hippie adjacent cult and focuses on that late 70s into the early 80s wave of fantasy novels, very Moorcock/Gene Wolfe kind of poo poo. I think you’re right that it’s about a sense of history, but not just the 70s but even the 60s, you can’t really extricate the new age poo poo, self help business culture, health cults, reaganomics, etc from their antecedents in the first Nixon administration

Right: The flashback is to 1966, but I mean the implied backstory of the protagonist - where pretty much her entire childhood took place in the 1970s. The shift to the 1980s loosely coincides with her becoming an adult. Generational conflict is really important in all these films, and usually visualized by giving specific characters different aesthetics. Like, the titular Hobo is given a 1970s title card because he's entering into this 1980s hellscape.

You can also do the inverse, like in the 1950s pastiche [url=https://tubitv.com/movies/519342/alien_trespass[/url]]Alien Trespass[/url]. Despite obvious grabs from It Came From Outer Space and The Blob, there are a great many Terminator and T2 references that highlight how James Cameron ended up ripping on Them! and Day The Earth Stood Still and whatever. Of course, you have to do this carefully lest you end up putting the aesthetics of Jurassic Park into Stranger Things 3. Like, instead of Baby: Secret Of The Lost Legend.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 11, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm not very familiar with Sarah Ramos but she and Aubrey Plaza just did something wonderful

https://twitter.com/sarahramos/status/1248354818487242752?s=20

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Jumping back from Kung Fury to Paddington, is it ok for watching with my 4.5 year old?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

cosmin posted:

Jumping back from Kung Fury to Paddington, is it ok for watching with my 4.5 year old?

Yes everyone can and should watch Paddington, from 2 to 200

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

cosmin posted:

For sure. It's kind of unexpectedly horny, but it's in the way that the adult jokes in Shrek go over kids heads. It's fine.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

FilthyImp posted:

Kung Fury is the same kind of "Nostalgia" as Far Cry: Blood Dragon.

Well, at least for me. Both were just fun poo poo

The thing about Blood Dragon that works where Kung Fury does not is that Blood Dragon is actually aping a very specific style that actually existed, that being arcade cabinets and gaming box art from the mid to late 80s, where the art was incredibly busy, usually very garish, and used a lot of random geometric patterning and overlays to add even more visual interest than you got from slamming 20 dudes and a velociraptor over a chevron grid. Hell, part of the reason they got Michael Biehn to do it was because the box art for metal gear, which is very much in this genre, famously used a traced illustration of him in Terminator on its cover. And beyond that, a lot of the gags in Blood Dragon reference very specific ephemera of late 80s into early 90s gaming, like the whole bit where the main character turns down using a copyright-friendly berserker pack because winners don’t use drugs!

Kung Fury, meanwhile, is a pretty wide-net and unspecific parody that leans way too hard into camera filters and monkeycheese to ever achieve the same kind of authenticity that Blood Dragon ever does. Nothing about it is actually all that 80s, despite its protestations, and that’s why it falls flat. This is because it’s not trying to be any sort of actual retro, it’s clumsily aping Danger 5 and Italian Spider-Man, which were specifically meta-mockbusters referencing low budget knockoff films like Turkish Star Wars or the various films of Bruno Mattei. It’s historical reference by game of telephone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/1248775387783376897?s=20

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

It's not necessarily that abstract, as the feeling of dismay in their sounds can be traced to 1970's punk, as evidenced by The Weeknd's sample choices and Chromatic's cover releases. As you've shown, lazy pastiche basically doesn't recognize that the 1980's themselves are historically conditioned.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/1248821183459426306

https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/1245040219415408640