Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
loving hell Wizards. Reprint Three Visits in an EDH precon you loving cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Let me just say I'm glad that players will have weeks to potentially months to learn the ins and outs of mutate on Arena before they try it in paper. Paper prereleases would have been a mess of questions.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Blue mythos spell, which I also don't think was spoiled.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jabor posted:

The reason you play a shock/check manabase is so that you have consistently untapped mana of the colours you want. If your lands always come into play tapped then you don't have that. We already have typed lands that cycle away late-game (and have a better cycling ability to boot), and those also see no play at all.

Even if you're not jamming in with aggro dorks, you will be playing against people that are, and taking turns off or playing off-curve in the early game because your lands come into play tapped will mean that you lose the game before ever doing anything.

The reasons to play always-tapped lands are:
- The lands have huge upside. Think man-lands.
- You're playing dorky multiplayer Commander where nobody does anything before turn 5, and you personally playing off-curve doesn't matter because it lets other people at the table have a go at each other instead of at you.
- You're playing Standard where you play the lands you've got in the format, instead of the lands you want.

I guess we'll have to see if having access to three colors is enough of an offset to make them worth it for high-tier play.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kurieg posted:

The Blue mythos spell, which I also don't think was spoiled.

A fun but niche corner case I just realized with these, if you get them with a Robber of the Rich/Thief of Sanity type effect, they would get the kicker effect if you spent, in this case, 2RG to cast them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

I guess we'll have to see if having access to three colors is enough of an offset to make them worth it for high-tier play.

My gut still says these are a very obvious 2 maybe 3 of if you're in any slower controlly/grindy 3 color deck.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

this one fits somewhere

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Ikoria+Lair+of+Behemoths/Swallow+Whole#paper

clunky but powerful

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

It's only clunky if you don't have 3eferi out, then it's a one-mana haymaker

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Green getting raise dead isn't that problematic seeing as it has been able to regrow cards, especially permanents, for ages, but it's still weird as hell seeing the raise dead in this set being green.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Owlbear Camus posted:

A fun but niche corner case I just realized with these, if you get them with a Robber of the Rich/Thief of Sanity type effect, they would get the kicker effect if you spent, in this case, 2RG to cast them.

They speak to this in the rules guide posted just before. They do not trigger off of “you many spend mana of any type...” effects, and only check the lands that tapped.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

4/5 castles see Standard play and Garenbrig even shows up from time to time, probably more now that we have behemoths

In answer to your question yes absolutely 100% two U/G/x decks in a long mid-range grudge match will absolutely love cycling these lands to draw gas

The castles don't come into play tapped 90% of the time though, these come into play tapped 100% of the time. That's a massive difference.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Paul Zuvella posted:

The castles don't come into play tapped 90% of the time though, these come into play tapped 100% of the time. That's a massive difference.

I was responding to theidea that their land types aren't relevant in standard. T1 Tricycle land into T2 Castle.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tainen posted:

Another “excess damage” card. Feel like this is one that has the opportunity to win quite a few games.

I think this might actually be a big boost to the mono green decks in both standard and pioneer. It's efficient removal and a way to end games with your big dumb creatures (if your opponent is hoping to chump block it can actually effectively deal double your creature's power to your opponent). Obviously you there is a 2-for-1 risk with this effect but having it at instant speed makes it easier to play around blowouts.

Some moderately interesting cards I haven't seen anyone else post yet:

Reprint, seems solid for Kroxa/Uro decks.

Downside seems pretty marginal a lot of the time, question is whether you want a 4/5 menace for 1BB.

Costing 1 more than Agonizing Remorse sucks but Cycling is very relevant for an effect that is often completely dead past turn 5 or so.

(reprint)
Someone in development is concerned about 1 toughness creatures!

Mills 3 cards on an on curve-ish body.

Seems like you could do some pretty broken poo poo with this.

For all you Ugin/Mystic Forge nerds.

Flexible sideboard option.

Maybe goes infinite with something?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

meanolmrcloud posted:

They speak to this in the rules guide posted just before. They do not trigger off of “you many spend mana of any type...” effects, and only check the lands that tapped.

The point is that if you have one of those effects, you can play it spending, say, RGGG, or RRWG, or CCRG, and still get the kicker - which is much easier than the very restrictive UURG if you were to cast it normally.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fun that its etb doesn't care about being cast from outside the game, so suddenly Eldrazi Displacer can shadow realm your entire team every turn

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I have ignorance so apologies. Is this a larger set than usual or is it my imagination, this seems like a lot of cards.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

(reprint)
Someone in development is concerned about 1 toughness creatures!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Seems like you could do some pretty broken poo poo with this.

Can you flip enough into your bin for a turn-4 Emrakul?

e: Oh, that's why it says Colored Spell. I guess there's better things to do with Painted Servant.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm here for one sided boardwipes that cost R

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
so it's a sultai enchantment giving all your colored non-x spells delve? wtf

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

I have ignorance so apologies. Is this a larger set than usual or is it my imagination, this seems like a lot of cards.

Normal sized set but it feels like there are more cards that “do stuff” than normal so that could make it feel bigger. Also maybe because half the cards have 2 or 3 alt arts.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Goa Tse-tung posted:

so it's a sultai enchantment giving all your colored non-x spells delve? wtf

and surveil 1 every turn

I'm excited for it!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can slam Sphinx of the Guildpact on the same turn you play Titan's Nest, if you've stocked your yard enough. Or run out Impervious Greatwurm the turn afterwards.

The obvious in-set combo is with Titanoth Rex, for an early 11/11.

The Myojin from Kamigawa actually seem like decent things to cheat on mana with this, having relatively large colourless components to their mana costs and a potent effect if you do play them from hand instead of cheating them some other way.

You can make a whole bunch of saprolings with Verdeloth, since Kicker X costs are fair game.

But honestly it's probably good just slamming multiple big spells a turn rather than trying for a specific combo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Nolgthorn posted:

it's got 10 more cards than Eldraine or Theros because it has those 10 common duals (Rugged Highland and friends).

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Lone Goat posted:

it's got 10 more cards than Eldraine or Theros because it has those 10 common duals (Rugged Highland and friends).

Now that we have gorgeous Tri lands I don't get why, it feels like we've had dual lands in every set for a while.

They're probably there to make me have to buy more boosters.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Wanderer is back! Are we still thinking she's Emrakul or what?

The only thing my daughter loves as much as cats are stegosauruses, and this is great. Kalamax's deck looks decent right out of the box, I'll just need to find a spot for Runic Armasaur and she'll be good to go.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

Now that we have gorgeous Tri lands I don't get why, it feels like we've had dual lands in every set for a while.

There were no dual lands in eldraine or war of the spark. And these are common ones that nobody will care about outside of draft.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Lol, eat poo poo Healing Salve

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Wasn’t there a Hyalopterous Lemur in some art for this? I’m sad he doesn’t seem to have a card :(

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

the common lands are for draft, they're already legal in standard because they were in core 20

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

the common lands are for draft, they're already legal in standard because they were in core 20

they replace the basic lands, sometimes

https://twitter.com/blakepr/status/1248647144673689600

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

vegetables posted:

Wasn’t there a Hyalopterous Lemur in some art for this? I’m sad he doesn’t seem to have a card :(

Concept art at the bottom of this worldbuilding article: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/worldbuilding-ikoria-2020-04-07

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Tainen posted:

Another “excess damage” card. Feel like this is one that has the opportunity to win quite a few games.

Still prefer Thrash//Threat in Pioneer Stompy, and Dismember in Modern. The ability of Thrash to hit planeswalkers is the main reason I ever board it in. Unless 1-2 more very good tramplers are printed (or Rancor gets a pioneer reprint), I'm not sure it's worth it.

Edit: misread card.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 10, 2020

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Tainen posted:

This really ought to be in addition rather than instead :colbert:

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This really ought to be in addition rather than instead :colbert:

That'd make it really unintuitive with lifelink, I believe.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Goa Tse-tung posted:

something else for commander to get crazy over

I was gonna ask how a card that had a mana cost of like, a blue and a blue/black hybrid would count for this, but I don't think they've ever actually printed any cards with costs like that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Entropic posted:

I was gonna ask how a card that had a mana cost of like, a blue and a blue/black hybrid would count for this, but I don't think they've ever actually printed any cards with costs like that.

In this hypothetical situation, R, W, and R/W count as different mana symbols. As do R, Phyrexian R, and 2/R from Shadowmoor.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Entropic posted:

Hybrid mana is different from normal mana, so that wouldn't work anyway.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Any suggestions on things to make this completely idiotic deck do the idiotic thing I'm trying to do a little smoother?

(suggestions to add blue artifact synergies will be met with the same obstinance as dril replying to the candle tweet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
you know IKO is basically Calvin & Hobbes the set

Bonders are obv C & H
you can make T-Rexes in F-16s
every-catastrophy-at-once.jpg as Ultimatums
an annoyingly smart girl keeps one-upping you and your cat
spaceman spiff for UG