Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

31 cars for Michigan (first starts for Chilton + Davison + RHR + Marco + Jr) and if you have caught some of the practice races, I think it is safe to say this is gonna be A. Disaster. Cool!

https://twitter.com/tracksideonline/status/1248379214975262721

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Something about those just seems off....

(The iRacing events hosted by the Dinner with Racers guys tap into similar “multi-class racing” vibes for sure)

I loving love that PC sims let you have huge fields of whatever the gently caress you like. I'm forever doing poo poo like just throwing 35 F1 and Indycars cars of every era onto Silverstone National.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

31 cars for Michigan (first starts for Chilton + Davison + RHR + Marco + Jr) and if you have caught some of the practice races, I think it is safe to say this is gonna be A. Disaster. Cool!

https://twitter.com/tracksideonline/status/1248379214975262721

Which means to save anyone mathsing, we've lost Johnson and Scott Speed.

EDIT : And one other but I can't figure out who.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 10, 2020

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Dudley posted:

I loving love that PC sims let you have huge fields of whatever the gently caress you like. I'm forever doing poo poo like just throwing 35 F1 and Indycars cars of every era onto Silverstone National.

You can do whatever you like and you pick Silverstone??

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

They did a Sebring 12hr where some of the classes included trophy trucks, midgets, and Miatas.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

hunnert car pileup posted:

SI is obv pretty :barf: right now, but here's a longform on Randy Lanier for anyone interested:

https://www.si.com/longform/true-crime/randy-lanier-indycar-drug-smuggler/index.html

That article is from 3 years ago before they got bought out FWIW (not that they were great before that)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CactusWeasle posted:

You can do whatever you like and you pick Silverstone??

Nationals a pretty good circuit to have a mass race on. You want a short circuit so lapping starts quickly.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://jalopnik.com/indycar-should-have-chosen-the-deltawing-1842783780

:barf:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The spiciest of lovely takes. gently caress the deltawing.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress the deltawing.

The spiciest of lovely takes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

low aero is a good idea, the deltawing as a package was absolutely not.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m glad that it existed and raced, but I don’t think it’s the right solution for a full field of IndyCars. The DW12 has turned into a real good chassis and the current aero is really good for racing.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

I’m glad that it existed and raced, but I don’t think it’s the right solution for a full field of IndyCars. The DW12 has turned into a real good chassis and the current aero is really good for racing.

Road course and short oval, yes. The current speedway package is pretty garbage for racing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

harperdc posted:

They did a Sebring 12hr where some of the classes included trophy trucks, midgets, and Miatas.

They're doing circuit de la sarthe with dirt sprints.

I love those two guys.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Listening to the Dinner With Racers from 3 years ago with IMS President Doug Boles and he proclaims the Hulman-George family will never sell the track because it means so much to them.

oof

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
lmao Indycar iracing is dumb as gently caress, do something super dangerous with more cars than should be allowed every time from now on imo

I want 40 cars at Fontana goddamnit

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Reynold posted:

lmao Indycar iracing is dumb as gently caress, do something super dangerous with more cars than should be allowed every time from now on imo

I want 40 cars at Fontana goddamnit

im pretty sure thats what 31 cars at michigan was, but they binned half the cars on the first lap

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

im pretty sure thats what 31 cars at michigan was, but they binned half the cars on the first lap

Yes, more of that plz

Dale Jr. on the podium, a Pagenaud win, I'm happy with this fake race for video game nerds.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
McLaughin’s stream was fun to watch, especially when he was sitting in P15 at Lap 40 and they were doing the math to figure out how to make it the fuel work and get to P2 by the end.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

just watching this now

gg Cooganqvist

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/DLand91/status/1249053710422102018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno this seems pretty fun.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

That Dale Jr. post-race interview lol

"No."

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

Michigan could easily run that many cars. In 1994 at CART's zenith there were sometimes up to 32 car fields, bizarrely though only on street circuits or road courses (31 at Toronto, 32 at Portland). They actually had to send Franck Freon home at Road America that year although he eventually started anyway because Ross Bentley withdrew prior to the start due to to a cracked Bellhousing (WTF?!?).

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

That happened in reality too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They could have 30+ at the big ovals NASCAR also runs because the infrastructure for that many teams (garages and pit setups) should be there, for some other places it might be tighter.

Or we have Gilligan’s Island situations again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aren't the pit boxes for Indycars considerably longer than NASCAR's?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Aren't the pit boxes for Indycars considerably longer than NASCAR's?

Yes, they need the clearance due to the smaller turning radius. NASCAR pit boxes are ideally 25 feet, Indycar pitboxes are 40+ feet with Indy having 47ft boxes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Yes, they need the clearance due to the smaller turning radius. NASCAR pit boxes are ideally 25 feet, Indycar pitboxes are 40+ feet with Indy having 47ft boxes.

If they need more space wouldn’t that mean it’s a larger turning radius?

I also didn’t know the differences were so stark. Huh! Almost double. Wow.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Need room for the sick burnouts that IndyCars do to get out of the box

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Frond posted:

Michigan could easily run that many cars. In 1994 at CART's zenith there were sometimes up to 32 car fields, bizarrely though only on street circuits or road courses (31 at Toronto, 32 at Portland). They actually had to send Franck Freon home at Road America that year although he eventually started anyway because Ross Bentley withdrew prior to the start due to to a cracked Bellhousing (WTF?!?).

We've all had nights like that.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

In May they need to do a normal 33 car 500 on iracing but then either (or both) an Indy 1,000 with driver changes or like a 50 car field.

Or a 500 with classes of open wheelers

I crave dumb content is what I'm saying

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dudley posted:

We've all had nights like that.

I just find it odd Coyne didn't have another transmission available.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Then again, while CART era Coyne sometimes ran up to 3 cars only the "lead" car would have spares or new parts. '97 was a good example. Jourdain's car got all the upgraded parts while Vitolo was using the initial Lola spec, which was borderline undriveable.

As an aside, most think Hiro was the worst of the later CART era - but on road courses at least Vitolo had nothing on him. He was shockingly slow (he was parked in Toronto 1997 for "handling").

Coyne also employed this guy (Nearburg) for 3 races. I think one of the conditions of hiring him was that he paid for a Reynard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qP8qfSZAmw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still want to know what was up with Vitolo's "sponsorship" with SmithKleinBeecham, a massive loving company

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
In retrospect the sponsorship might have been a result of Dale himself. Both Gualter Salles and Takuya Kurosawa had VIA sponsorship: one of our (Canada’s) state owned rail corporations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Vitolo also must have known somebody because he inexplicably kept getting rides.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

So, Larson to a third Coyne car?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Minto Took posted:

So, Larson to a third Coyne car?

if he wants to pay for it out of his own pocket, Dale Coyne dont care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Spaced God posted:

In May they need to do a normal 33 car 500 on iracing but then either (or both) an Indy 1,000 with driver changes or like a 50 car field.

Or a 500 with classes of open wheelers

I crave dumb content is what I'm saying
They should re-do the original 1911 race. Marmon Wasp, random deaths, 6+ hour race time, very long pit stops, livestock on the track (I'm making that last bit up probably)