Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

All I'm saying is in 50 years when the survivors of the Clean water wars get together to tell stories and munch on the faces of billionaires.
The wise old shaman from the before times will reenact the Man of Iron instead of The Man of Irish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

yea and calling a comic book movie a film is like calling a big mac a dish

quote:

Film, also called movie or motion picture

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hihohe posted:

All I'm saying is in 50 years when the survivors of the Clean water wars get together to tell stories and munch on the faces of billionaires.
The wise old shaman from the before times will reenact the Man of Iron instead of The Man of Irish.

and beer will simply be known as bud light

yes they are two words that mean the same thing with different connotations, that is the point

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

yes they are two words that mean the same thing with different connotations, that is the point

They don't have different connotations. They're the same thing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hihohe posted:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I dunno, some of you guys come off as incredibly pretentious.

Like, sure, Comic book movies arnt high art and are theme park movies, but when they're talking to you, god damned I'd rather side with the idiots.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

stop gettin mad about comic books

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Arguments like Scorsese's are from people who hate it when people have a good time

Arguments like Scorsese's are from people who would like to see a variety of movies get funded and released theatrically without the market being completely saturated by one company's CGI punchy man movies.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

hawowanlawow posted:

Film is also a great word to let you know when somebody might be a snob. That's the only other connotation in this context.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Who's got that post where the guy was mocking people for not being intellectual because they liked watching movies sometimes?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Arguments like Scorsese's are from people who hate it when people have a good time

I've seen the Irishman and I can confirm that Scorsese hates it when people have a good time

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Who's got that post where the guy was mocking people for not being intellectual because they liked watching movies sometimes?

Do you mean the guy who took a photo with a BMW at a dealership and then claimed that he was rich and popular because he never saw Star Wars?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

vyelkin posted:

Do you mean the guy who took a photo with a BMW at a dealership and then claimed that he was rich and popular because he never saw Star Wars?

Wasn't that a lovely ad campaign for a get rich quick book?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

vyelkin posted:

https://twitter.com/OfWudan/status/1116767056592904193

https://twitter.com/OfWudan/status/1116798621238927360

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

d3lness posted:

Film is also a great word to let you know when somebody might be a snob. That's the only other connotation in this context.

yes, that is why it is funny when people use it to talk about comic book movies

to both be pretentious about movies and like comic book movies is funny

that is why I compared it to calling a big mac a dish

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Lol gently caress this derail post more of this poo poo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Apparently Jordan Peterson's daughter left her family to be with that guy lol

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Apparently Jordan Peterson's daughter left her family to be with that guy lol

Double lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hihohe posted:

It was all in the old thread, just look up the dates of those posts.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Kickstarting a campaign to buy a projector, a sheet, a copy of Star Wars and a plane ticket to Jeff Bezos' house. Going to do my part to solve the wealth gap.

My thoughts on Marvel Movies: They aren't masterpieces, but they're fun to watch, and anyone that judges people because they want to watch a fun movie like Avengers versus depressing garbage like Melancholia, especially in the hell times we're in is a douche.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

NGL, being a multi-millionaire is a small price to pay if it means I can retroactively never have consumed anything Star Wars related.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

If I was a multi-millionaire I would spend every single penny on Star Wars merch just to annoy that guy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure George Lucas (net worth appx. $5 billion) has seen a Star Wars or two

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ant Man 2 is basically the War and Peace of modern times.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if you read the stage notes for Macbeth you'll be amused to find that it calls specifically for "John's Goode wine" to be used in all meal scenes, label out

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The people who complain about the MCU movies being soulless and artless crap must have never seen any of the movies made before Iron Man or any of the DC movies.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

if you read the stage notes for Macbeth you'll be amused to find that it calls specifically for "John's Goode wine" to be used in all meal scenes, label out

Not specifically in Shakespeare but you do see references like that in other literature and it only gets stronger heading into the Victorians. If I remember my Chaucer correctly he drops a couple favourite inns during the Canterbury Tales.

Again: all our literature really is just dime novels, it’s just OLD dime novels so it feels more important.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea and bud light is just Michael Bay's favorite beer

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

You said that already. Shut up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah, Ant Man 2 sucked. Most of the Marvel movies beyond Thor 2 and that are watchable and fun at least, but I don't really see what causes threads of insane lengths to be written about them. Most of the time it feels like essentially the same plot but with slightly different characters, and that's fine but hard to get super excited about.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arivia posted:

Not specifically in Shakespeare but you do see references like that in other literature and it only gets stronger heading into the Victorians. If I remember my Chaucer correctly he drops a couple favourite inns during the Canterbury Tales.

Again: all our literature really is just dime novels, it’s just OLD dime novels so it feels more important.

There's a specific namedrop by Falstaff of Tewkesbury mustard, which was a popular variety at the time. The plays are full of what are basically Elizabethan pop culture references.

I had to cut down Romeo & Juliet to 1 hour for a show I did last year, and I decided to start with the entire unabridged script and go from there. There's a fuckton of useless stuff that gets cut out in most productions, including at least one wacky comedy scene with a band that's thrown into the middle of the climax right before Juliet is found "dead."

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Your daughter is dead, Waka Waka

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Push El Burrito posted:

Hey at least Ant man 2 knew when to loving end

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though I do look forward to Ant Man 2 becoming the work people talk up without ever actually reading it, fully taking WP gimmick

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, Ant Man 2 sucked. Most of the Marvel movies beyond Thor 2 and that are watchable and fun at least, but I don't really see what causes threads of insane lengths to be written about them. Most of the time it feels like essentially the same plot but with slightly different characters, and that's fine but hard to get super excited about.

Ant Man 2 actually really loving ruled though.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Arivia posted:

Yes, noted literary powerhouses and unspeakably influential authors, Virginia Woolfe and Gertrude Stein, dimestore novelists, with a side of W.E.B. Du Bois' The Souls of Black Folk as a particularly notable dimestore novel.

Don't make goofball generalizations.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

op is not the idiot here

https://twitter.com/FlimfloomVEVO/status/1248114235370070017?s=20

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Love the way this thread went, in one page, from mocking the woman being snobbish about opera, to being snobbish about popular movies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If there is one thing goons Love is mocking things they 100% believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It is funny that making fun of comic books generated more angry posts than unabashed classism