Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thanks! Also, Ghosts of Mars is far better than it has any right to be.

Ghosts of Mars would be an infinitely better film if the outside parts didn't look like 60s star trek stage sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's the closest anyone's ever gotten to convincing me to watch Ghosts of Mars. I really love how 60s TV often feels like you're watching a high-budget stage play.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Baronash posted:

A buddy and I were talking about films like Outbreak and Contagion, and we were interested to see if the coronavirus response would shape how pandemics are portrayed in media in the same way 9/11 became the visual basis for what citywide destruction looks like. Are there any other cases where a single event has reshaped how similar events are portrayed in media?

9/11 made it so soldiers are always heroic. You couldn’t do a goofball character like Jack Black’s soldier from Mars Attacks anymore.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is there an 80s equivalent of the The Long Goodbye - The Big Lebowski - Under The Silver Lake tradition of present-day Raymond Chandler riffs? Closest I can think of is After Dark, My Sweet but that was ‘90.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

morestuff posted:

Is there an 80s equivalent of the The Long Goodbye - The Big Lebowski - Under The Silver Lake tradition of present-day Raymond Chandler riffs? Closest I can think of is After Dark, My Sweet but that was ‘90.

Cutter's Way would about fit the bill? It's Jeff Bridges even.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

morestuff posted:

Maybe The Big Easy? Corruption, conflicted loyalties, complex characters & motivations, strong city atmosphere, cynicism, violence, femme fatale, etc etc.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Miller's Crossing is another 1990 one

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

morestuff posted:

Is there an 80s equivalent of the The Long Goodbye - The Big Lebowski - Under The Silver Lake tradition of present-day Raymond Chandler riffs?
L.A. Confidential would count, but thats late 90s.

Had to google it but what about :
* Tequila Sunrise
* Alien Nation
* Angel Heart
* Blade Runner

And, of course,
* Who Framed Roger Rabbit

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

L.A. Confidential would count, but thats late 90s.

Had to google it but what about :
* Tequila Sunrise
* Alien Nation
* Angel Heart
* Blade Runner

And, of course,
* Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Has to be set contemporary to when it was made, and if possible have a time capsule quality like those three do. Lebowski is a little bit of a cheat since it was set in ‘91 and released in ‘98 but close enough

Like the ‘00s has Brick, even if I don’t think that movie is in the same league

morestuff fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 11, 2020

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lebowski was set in 91? I always thought it was set in the late 70s.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Lebowski was set in 91? I always thought it was set in the late 70s.

There’s a lot of talk in the background about the impending gulf war so I guess actually ‘90

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

morestuff posted:

There’s a lot of talk in the background about the impending gulf war so I guess actually ‘90

"In The Big Lebowski, the Dude is so broke that he had to post-date a sixtynine* cents check. While he's writing the check, he's watching the press conference given by President George H. W. Bush on August 5, 1990. The Dude's check is dated September 11, 1991."

*nice

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CopywrightMMXI posted:

9/11 made it so soldiers are always heroic. You couldn’t do a goofball character like Jack Black’s soldier from Mars Attacks anymore.

Generation Kill had a ton of goofballs, but that was an adaptation of a biographical account of the war.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Egbert Souse posted:

Mrs. Doubtfire is complete horseshit the moment you actually pay attention to how gross of a film it really is.

It always annoyed me that she said she was from London but was doing a really Scottish accent and that seemed fine.

Here's a thing - are there many American films where accent really matters? I specifically mean your American accent rather than an accent that shows you're foreign.
It always feels like other than southern ones nobody cares what you sound like, so you can be someone born in Oklahoma in the film but you've got a more north east voice and people don't give a poo poo.

Fargo is the only film I can really think of that shows a US accent that's outside the norm of New England, California or Texas.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I despise movies where a character is from Philadelphia and the actor decides to do a stereotypical NYC accent. The "I'm walkin' here" accent and the Philadelphia accent are as far apart as a Southern accent and a Minnesota one.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Taear posted:

It always annoyed me that she said she was from London but was doing a really Scottish accent and that seemed fine.

Here's a thing - are there many American films where accent really matters? I specifically mean your American accent rather than an accent that shows you're foreign.
It always feels like other than southern ones nobody cares what you sound like, so you can be someone born in Oklahoma in the film but you've got a more north east voice and people don't give a poo poo.

Fargo is the only film I can really think of that shows a US accent that's outside the norm of New England, California or Texas.

There are plenty of movies where characters have Southern accents.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLwbzGyC6t4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNGHNA4wdKE

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boston and it's accent suck. Signed, new hampshire.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You also get the Chicago accent in a lot of stuff, mostly because character actors from the area were all over 80s and 90s tv and film. (RIP Dennehy.) Southern accents and Texan accents are also two distinct things that might be hard for someone outside the region to pick up on. Then there's African-American English, which isn't tied to a specific area

Really though regional accents in the US have flattened out a lot and in most situations language reflecting class tells you more about a character

morestuff fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 17, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What would have happened if Frank Dux didn't win the kumite?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

morestuff posted:

Has to be set contemporary to when it was made, and if possible have a time capsule quality like those three do. Lebowski is a little bit of a cheat since it was set in ‘91 and released in ‘98 but close enough

Like the ‘00s has Brick, even if I don’t think that movie is in the same league

How about Blue Velvet?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What’s a film you watched thinking you knew a massive spoiler, but it turns out to be either nothing important, or what you think happens doesn’t actually occur and was from something else/mishearing.

I was pleasantly surprised today watching Audition for the first time and realizing the thing I thought was ‘the big twist’ is actually from Visitor Q (and sounds like it’s something mentioned right at the beginning).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I saw Fast and Furious before I saw Point Break, I already knew FF was basically a remake with cars instead of surfing and had seen the clip of Keanu Reeves pointing his gun at Swayze, then firing into the air and had assumed that was the end of the movie, nope it goes on for another 45 minutes and 2 or 3 more action sequences.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

EL BROMANCE posted:

What’s a film you watched thinking you knew a massive spoiler, but it turns out to be either nothing important, or what you think happens doesn’t actually occur and was from something else/mishearing.

I was pleasantly surprised today watching Audition for the first time and realizing the thing I thought was ‘the big twist’ is actually from Visitor Q (and sounds like it’s something mentioned right at the beginning).

Spoiler culture is loving stupid. Like say you had a John Henry movie, everyone knows he dies, you could still make a compelling story. Better Call Saul is a prequel show that is better than the show which spawned it and you know where the character is going. Not everything has to be a lame loving surprise.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

In the 2000's I started watching The Office in season 3, HBO's Rome in season 2, and Battlestar Galactica in season 3. When I went back and watched the previous episodes I had never seen before spoilers did not take away from my enjoyment.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Very fun that the backlash to "spoiler culture" has hit the point where you can summon a rant simply by suggesting that some movies actually do take good advantage of maintaining a mystery or producing a surprise reveal.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Maestro posted:

How about Blue Velvet?

That's an interesting one. It doesn't have the usual tone or L.A. setting, but it definitely has the criminal conspiracy and the "investigator meets a bunch of weirdos" thread

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tenzarin posted:

Bloodsport II: Blood Oath releases the following summer and becomes a smash hit, as it enlists a number of relatively unknown martial artists (such as Royce Gracie) to improve the fighting scenes. It basically does to MMA what Rocky did for Boxing.

In-film? The investigators/HK Police bust in moments before Bolo gives Dux a career-ending backbreaker, tipped off to human trafficking of girls by the reporter. Bolo swears that he will finish the job once he escapes prison. Dux is given a dishonorable discharge and is basically told he's wrecked to the point of being useless to the military. Defeated and disgraced, he returns to his sensei and offers up his black belt. Sensei then gives him a speech about the serenity of loss that draws on his own turmoil in losing a son. He leaves Dux to meditate and says "now the true training can begin".

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm planning to watch Deep Red and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage soon.

I noticed they're both on Tubi in English but I'm not sure if they're dubbed/partially dubbed. The Deep Red opening seems like it was filmed in English and then probably dubbed into Italian and vice-versa for The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. Or were they both hybrid films where some actors spoke Italian and others English?

Basically I'll just get them on DVD later if they were those hybrid language ones or mainly recorded in Italian. But if they were mostly English originally I may watch them on Tubi.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 27, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

From what I gather Deep Red was originally in Italian, but it's probably worth picking up the DVD anyway. There's a lot of different cuts out there

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Italian giallo stuff is always a minefield for language options. I believe in most cases they overdub regardless of language, and the sound captured during filming is scrapped. I’d say go with whichever you fancy rather than feeling you have to get a specific language.

One of the Argentos has a scene that goes into Italian regardless as it was cut back into the movie afterwards and I think they lost the English audio for it (or it was never recorded). Wild movies.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Italian giallo stuff is always a minefield for language options. I believe in most cases they overdub regardless of language, and the sound captured during filming is scrapped. I’d say go with whichever you fancy rather than feeling you have to get a specific language.

One of the Argentos has a scene that goes into Italian regardless as it was cut back into the movie afterwards and I think they lost the English audio for it (or it was never recorded). Wild movies.
Italian movies of the era were shot without sound, actors from different countries all speaking their own language, and everything was dubbed in post.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, you're generally better off watching Italian movies from then in whatever language in whatever language you're most familiar with.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I remember a few years ago a story that Harold Lloyd was in the KKK doing the rounds on film news sites. I can't find a link to it for the life of me now, was this a hoax - or a dream?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

I remember a few years ago a story that Harold Lloyd was in the KKK doing the rounds on film news sites. I can't find a link to it for the life of me now, was this a hoax - or a dream?

Wikipedia says he was a Knight Commander in the Freemasons, did you read about that and get a couple wires crossed?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Skwirl posted:

Wikipedia says he was a Knight Commander in the Freemasons, did you read about that and get a couple wires crossed?

No it was a story specifically about the KKK.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BisonDollah posted:

Lloyd was a horndog, though. Lots of affairs and according to Hal Roach had chronic VD. He was friends with Russ Meyer and loved taking 3-D nude photographs of women. Though, it's now thought that Lloyd's infidelity drove his wife into alcoholism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I've started noticing a lot of uncredited cast members showing up at the bottom of IMDB cast lists. I assumed it was because up-and-coming actors added themselves so all the stuff they listed on their resume could be confirmed on IMDB, but I just noticed the same thing on 1964's Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte. Which makes me think something else is going on.

Why this new section and where do they get the information from? At the top of (at least some) IMDB cast lists it now says "verified as complete," which I don't remember seeing before, so maybe IMDB's going to extra effort to complete the cast lists? Anyone know if this is a new thing, where and why the info comes from, etc.?

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 22, 2020