Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Every time I see praise for RE7 I am so confused. I played it up to the first boss fight and thought it sucked and was absolutely nothing like Resident Evil. But everyone keeps giving it this glowing praise and calling it a "return to form". That you just said it was better than 4 just caused me to :psyduck:

People said RE7 was a “return to form” because it was fun and scary, just like the vast majority of mainline RE games prior to RE6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's the best Resident Evil game since Resident Evil 4, although I would also say for all think it's really good, it's not quite as good as Resident Evil 4.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://youtu.be/_oPSu1utwh8

I dont know about you but this feels RE4 as gently caress and its a really cool boss

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That particular fight always did make me think of Bitores Mendez. It has that same frenetic "Tiny Room, Horrible Person-Shaped Monster" energy to it.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Just beat REmake 3. I really enjoyed it the entire way through, but I couldn't help but feel like it ended right as I was hitting my stride and getting into it. I knew it'd be a short game, but I wish there would've been some more meat or padding to some of the areas.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Agrias120 posted:

Just beat REmake 3. I really enjoyed it the entire way through, but I couldn't help but feel like it ended right as I was hitting my stride and getting into it. I knew it'd be a short game, but I wish there would've been some more meat or padding to some of the areas.

The meat is doing a hot dogger only run and dodge knifing all the zombies to hell.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Every time I see praise for RE7 I am so confused. I played it up to the first boss fight and thought it sucked and was absolutely nothing like Resident Evil. But everyone keeps giving it this glowing praise and calling it a "return to form". That you just said it was better than 4 just caused me to :psyduck:

I'm a little iffier on 7 than a lot of people but it was indeed a return to form, planning routes and backtracking through a single labyrinth area was something 4 and the subsequent ots games before 7 largely abandoned for linear paths. I think the reason why r3make has gotten the mixed reception it has is people being disappointed with that aspect being toned down again compared to remake 2.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 10, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The siege with Carlos was the hardest part of this game so far. He's armed for bear but towards the end I kept getting hit from behind and as soon as one hit ended another would start and then i'd be grabbed and killed.

I keep wanting to dodge with Carlos. I know that's not really what he does but after practicing with Jill I can't shake it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

4s a pretty linear action game and despite how rock solid the design of it is the narrative is one akin to most action movies, 7 has some real emotional beats going on and the highs i got off the pacing and narrative were way higher than 4. Storming the mines with a full loadout, Chris racing to get the bomb off of his wrist or fighting entire hordes in a room the size of a closet, the AMG-78, etc. The AMG especially was a high that nothing else in what I've replayed of resident evil gave me, such a good triumphant moment with swelling music and ridiculous gameplay, a really fun capstone for the game as a whole.

4 and 7 are very different kinds of games so direct comparison I won't do, but 4 is a methodical and tactical action game, a bit slow in pace but frantic because of the challenges and odds it presents you with. 7 uses its claustrophobic setting and camera and some of the best sound design in horror games to create a real atmosphere of dread that stuck with me a lot, it's very effective. It's also a game of backtracking and key finding and exploration and light puzzle solving, the devs were obviously inspired by the spencer mansion of re1 and were trying to take the series back to those roots. The ammo scrounging part isn't there as much and it does become a bit more action than original re though, and the game itself is a bit smaller than the original, minus the postgame campaigns.

Having played both of them very recently, and back to back, 7 is the one I'd go with over 4 first for another replay, yes.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 10, 2020

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It is one of the most effective horror games of the past decade, I think. It does many of the same things 4 does in terms of reestablishing a new status quo, a new direction, and instills genuine freshness into a game about walking around a spooky house. It also looks loving amazing and feels really good to play, though I can see being disappointed if you want a more action heavy game, but even the DLC addresses that.

RE7 is fantastic. I don't know if it's better than 4, but I think it's the best game in the series since 4 for sure.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Has anyone had issues getting the "Bookworm" record? I used a guide and I swear I picked up every note through 2 playthroughs but it still says I'm missing one.
Do I actually have to read them all in one playthrough?

Oh, and I have to actually *read* them or just pick them up?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Another casualty of my replay series was 5, which I remembered more fondly than I ended up feeling after I was through. The intro is fantastic and promises re4 but even faster, with more enemies on screen at once that are also more aggresive and active. That promise is mostly ignored for the rest of the campaign and excepting Desperate Escape( which I thought was a fantastic and stressful challenge especially in coop) the game feels more like re4 but more sloppy and without the smart pacing that gives you a blend of tactical combat and treasure hunting exploration and smaller skirmishes in between. A bit dull narrative too although the matrix wesker stuff was definitely fun. Feel like 5 and 6 just blend together in my head now as the bottom of the series.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Tainted Ham posted:

Has anyone had issues getting the "Bookworm" record? I used a guide and I swear I picked up every note through 2 playthroughs but it still says I'm missing one.
Do I actually have to read them all in one playthrough?

Oh, and I have to actually *read* them or just pick them up?

Pick em up. Did you get the one right after the last boss? I missed it 5 times, lol.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Pick em up. Did you get the one right after the last boss? I missed it 5 times, lol.

Found that one last time but theres still one missing.
Do I have to grab them all in one go? It seems like it's recorded over all playthroughs like the other records but I could be wrong

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
was gifted REmake hd a couple days ago, so im giving that another playthrough and the upscale mod makes it look real pretty

havent played on og re game in a while though, gonna have to get used to tank controls + static camera angles again

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Tainted Ham posted:

Found that one last time but theres still one missing.
Do I have to grab them all in one go? It seems like it's recorded over all playthroughs like the other records but I could be wrong

You don't have to grab them all in one go. That makes it kinda nice. Did you get the one behind the sewer waterfall?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Somehow the most dread inducing thing in RE7 wasn't anything to do with actual gameplay, it was that loading screen with the slightly open door next to a laundry machine or something where I was almost certain it was slowly opening but I wasn't sure. Genuinely got me on edge.

Was that just me?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Caidin posted:

Somehow the most dread inducing thing in RE7 wasn't anything to do with actual gameplay, it was that loading screen with the slightly open door next to a laundry machine or something where I was almost certain it was slowly opening but I wasn't sure. Genuinely got me on edge.

Was that just me?

I barely remember anything about that part but the dread.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I had my first Nemisis battle and dropped him with grenade, picked up something or other, hauled rear end and he caught up to me. I got him to kneel but am I supposed to keep wailing on him or just gtfo? Seems like the latter cause I don't think I was hurting him when he was kneeling and then he got up and hosed me up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

So I had my first Nemisis battle and dropped him with grenade, picked up something or other, hauled rear end and he caught up to me. I got him to kneel but am I supposed to keep wailing on him or just gtfo? Seems like the latter cause I don't think I was hurting him when he was kneeling and then he got up and hosed me up.
GTFO. You can't actually permanently disable him in any of those chase encounters, the kneeling is like temporarily knocking out Mr. X. Also, once you have the two gun expansions, you can stop trying, he doesn't drop anything important anymore.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Solomonic posted:

Yes! It can even explode heads, which looks hilarious. I've been doing a hot dogger only run and the counter uppercut has done a ton of damage on the occasions where I've had to fight. The only drawback has been that it doesn't seem like you can dodge out of the knife counterattack animation (or else I'm doing it wrong), so be judicious using it around a group of enemies.

I got pretty good at it in the lab when the hunters break out of their tubes. I was very low on ammo from the section right before (used on the pale heads and tentacle heads. gently caress that room where you need to grab part of the vaccine and 6 enemies come streaming out) and had to resort to knife counters. I got down to one hunter several time but would always be insta-killed from full health at the last moment. I’m going to have to roll back to a much earlier save and conserve my ammo better. It’s a bit jarring because even on hardcore the game has been throwing ammo at me for the last several hours until you get into the lab and so far it’s just been a bit of pistol ammo. You basically have to kill all of the enemies in that room because there is almost no room to dodge or maneuver.
I’m on hardcore and I don’t like the instant kill moves some of the enemies seem to do. They don’t look any different from regular moves so sometimes am enemies will take a swipe or lunge at you and you will be killed. I think even some of the regular zombies can instant kill you if they grab from behind.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i liked RE7 more than you did and i think this largely comes down to personal taste in general HOWEVA i will say that people praised RE7 as a "return to form" and "spiritually just like the first game" because they were very desperate to praise it for not being anything like 5/6

if this had been RE5 and those two games never existed i genuinely believe the game would be largely hated by the community

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 10, 2020

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
RE5 is cool.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
fuckin hated re7 & I hope the rumors of 8 being in first-person are as accurate as the rumors of RE3 being an open map with sidequests and the subway as a fast travel system

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

HOWEVA i will say that people praised RE7 as a "return to form" and "spiritually just like the first game" because they were very desperate to praise it for not being anything like 5/6
Personally, I went into the game very critically and looking for every little flaw. The reason I have a high opinion of it is because it went against every expectation I had, not because I wanted it to be from the beginning. I didn't even buy the game before watching a full playthrough of it first, just to make sure. :shrug:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol @ people thinking re7 isnt resident evil as gently caress when it clearly is.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Where are you all spacing out your 5 saves? Do autosaves stop on the difficulty after hardcore? I was surprised to get a continue on hardcore after getting punch killed by Nemesis just before the sewers.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Scary: check
Goofy puzzles: check
Doors locked by crests and medals: check
Monstrous bio-weapons: check
Partially takes place on a large boat: check

Yup, it’s a Resident Evil game alright

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

i liked RE7 more than you did and i think this largely comes down to personal taste in general HOWEVA i will say that people praised RE7 as a "return to form" and "spiritually just like the first game" because they were very desperate to praise it for not being anything like 5/6

if this had been RE5 and those two games never existed i genuinely believe the game would be largely hated by the community

People praised RE7 because it’s good, unlike RE6

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Keep in mind as well RE7 came off the backs of 5 and 6. I lost interest after RE5 as Dead Space was doing everything better, but ended up getting RE7 after word of mouth spoke positively about it.

First person horror rules.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

RE4 is great, but I remember initially being upset that it wasn’t like the first three.

Besides not having zombies, RE7 was what I was looking for out of a modern Resident Evil. I had to put the game down when I tried to play it in VR. A video game hasn’t scared me that much since I played the original RE2 at midnight when I was thirteen.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sheen Sheen posted:

its about those very two specific wordings of praise. i didnt say the game was bad, although i do understand why people dont want to play a first person RE.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sheen Sheen posted:

we praise RE6 in here too and demand a new jake wesker game full of power bombs and suplexes.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

re7 isnt even the first time a resident evil game was first person.

its not even the 2nd. it aint even the 3rd or 4th baby.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's the first time a Resident Evil game was first person and also not poo poo, though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it might use a different camera but RE7 still definitely plays like an RE game.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

its about those very two specific wordings of praise. i didnt say the game was bad, although i do understand why people dont want to play a first person RE.

I can definitely see people being skeptical of first person RE; I was in that camp when the game was first announced, but then I remembered how stale the franchise had gotten and I was excited to see what they could accomplish by shaking things up to the degree that they did. So I can see it earning extra points with some people simply because it was trying something new, but I wouldn’t characterize it as something that people were “desperate” to like; I strongly feel that the positive reaction to RE7 was based on its merits as a game more so than it simply being “not RE6”

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RE7 was fun but not even in my top 5 Res. A big part of that is the enemy variety *sucks*.

RE1 had more diverse and interesting foes.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

we praise RE6 in here too and demand a new jake wesker game full of power bombs and suplexes.

I mean, sure, I’d be okay with them continuing to make crappy RE games for the people who actually go for that sort of thing, as long as they keep making good RE games for the rest of us :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

RE7 was fun but not even in my top 5 Res. A big part of that is the enemy variety *sucks*.

RE1 had more diverse and interesting foes.
That is probably the biggest legitimate complaint that I have with the game. The Molded are boring and suck. It doesn't even matter that there are at least three or four variations on them, they are still all just big grey blob monsters.