Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Great Escape S03E03 English subs are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh man this Genius S3 Finale intro retrospective... I missed Extreme Ways but this Lorde music cue into Hans Zimmer lol, this is good stuff

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Great Escape S03E04 English subs are out.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

This was great.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: lol I just read how the producers had built in a secret Open, Pass-style trick to the Constellation Game but no one picked up on it, I wonder how that would have played out

It's been a little while, but I don't think the trick in the Constellation Game really works.. or at least it doesn't work against a big alliance.

A 5 person alliance each picking one number 1-5 means they can lock out the remaining 2 players from ever doing anything. If someone did figure out the trick then the only thing they could possibly do is target another player and pick the same number as them so they're stuck in joint last and go to the deathmatch... but this isn't much different from being last naturally and picking a deathmatch opponent that way.

I think a lot of the games in The Genius were well designed, but I think this one was pretty broken.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK after episode 8... eh. Too many episodes have just been about forming alliances and locking people out without any shake-ups. Dongmin and Hyunmin have been good to watch but it is really dragged down by the producers casting dumb women on purpose?!

To be fair I don't think the s3 women are dumb, it's more... extremely passive and unconfident? There are some moments where they're on their own where they do something smart, but when they're interacting with (or competing against) the Dongmin/Hyunmin power couple they just turn into wallflowers.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Anaconda Rifle posted:

This was great.

I've been watching Season 3 having not watched the others and it's been really entertaining. I don't know any of the cast except for Dong Hyung Kim and it's hilarious to me how much of a coward he seems to be.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Anaconda Rifle posted:

This was great.

Agreed. One of my favorite eps from beginning to end.

All of the zombie episodes each season somehow turn out to be great.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

qbert posted:

Agreed. One of my favorite eps from beginning to end.

All of the zombie episodes each season somehow turn out to be great.

The pacing of the gimmick of this episode was extremely well done. I love that someone planned things to happen in that sequence, and that the plan worked.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Great Escape S03E05 English subs are out.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

This is the first time I felt legitimately sorry for the escapers.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Great Escape S03E06 English subs are out.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

The way Dong Hyun Kim immediately collapses whenever anything remotely scary happens is incredible.

Oh man the unplanned cat is definitely MVP

CHaKKaWaKka fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 30, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I gotta get around to watching these. I have Society Game season 2 to watch, plus this show... just need to actually bother to download it.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They aired a new episode of Great Escape last night so it should be back on track now.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Gildiss posted:

They aired a new episode of Great Escape last night so it should be back on track now.

The fourth escape, or another retrospective?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anaconda Rifle posted:

The fourth escape, or another retrospective?

Fourth escape.

Social distancing restrictions are being lifted now as there haven't been any new cases reported in several days.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Gildiss posted:

Fourth escape.

Social distancing restrictions are being lifted now as there haven't been any new cases reported in several days.

Glad some countries aren't filled with idiots.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is society game s2 better than s1, and is there a site to get the whole season in one shot?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Season 3 of The Great Escape has really stepped up the show's editing game. I don't if they're just getting better at it or it's new crew. Even if I found the gimmick of the first escape a bit tiresome, they still are doing a great job with the pacing and reveals. Genius-level stuff.

Just finished the second escape (E04). Fantastic ending, though I found a bit surprising for the show to be working so blue.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I bailed after like 1 or 2 episodes of The Great Escape season 1 because of the ridiculous overreacting to every single potential clue. Found a screwdriver on a shelf? Literal dance party for 3 minutes because this will obviously open the lock. Doesn't open the lock? Pantomime suicide and lie face down because your amazing plan failed.

Since people keep posting about it I'm guessing it gets better?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Elysium posted:

I bailed after like 1 or 2 episodes of The Great Escape season 1 because of the ridiculous overreacting to every single potential clue. Found a screwdriver on a shelf? Literal dance party for 3 minutes because this will obviously open the lock. Doesn't open the lock? Pantomime suicide and lie face down because your amazing plan failed.

They're still overreacting goofballs, but that's part of the charm, at least for me.

It's pretty a common thing for Korean variety/competition shows in general -- The Genius mostly avoided it, but most of the other shows I've watched have a high degree of the cast playing to the camera.

The escape rooms get much better over the next couple of seasons, and the cast starts to get more comfortable with the format about halfway through the first season. I'd say give it another try -- maybe try a couple of episodes from the second season (but not the prison escape ones).

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 11, 2020

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Elysium posted:

The writers and editors will dunk repeatedly on these six dummies.

I say you keep going. The second escape of the first series sets the tone for a while.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like the various "DON'T READ / OPEN THIS" traps in each escape.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
First episode of The Genius seems to have been taken down recently. First three episodes are gone. Old subs for S1E2 and S1E3 are still up, though. Anybody know of a mirror?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDFL7a2LMIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-olYhk_08ck

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The links here seem to work still.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm watching Season 2 of Genius and Jiwon wearing a Nazi Iron Eagle shirt in episode 3 is tripping me out.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm watching Season 2 of Genius and Jiwon wearing a Nazi Iron Eagle shirt in episode 3 is tripping me out.

It's the logo for a London based fashion company https://www.boy-london.com/collections/men-all/products/boy-tape-eagle-blk-white

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Jiwon's tops are generally fantastic though.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
fuckin pumpkin

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Great Escape S03E07 English subs are out.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Have not gotten a chance to watch it yet, but I'm SUPER excited new subs are coming out again. This season has been amazing so far.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

qbert posted:

Have not gotten a chance to watch it yet, but I'm SUPER excited new subs are coming out again. This season has been amazing so far.

I was completely disappointed with the first escape this season, but the second and third got me back into it. The last three escapes of season 2 are still my favorites by far.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

And FYI: the subbers skipped the recap episode but said they will go back and do it later. This episode is the first half of the 4th escape.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Just watched Ep 7 and REALLY enjoyed it. Great premise.

I assumed the production crew found an actual abandoned amusement park and used it as a set for this episode? Otherwise, this has got to be one of their most expensive sets yet, if they built it from scratch.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Watching Season 2 of the Genius, I had forgotten that Jiwon is actually a pretty good player.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

I assumed the production crew found an actual abandoned amusement park and used it as a set for this episode? Otherwise, this has got to be one of their most expensive sets yet, if they built it from scratch.

i still cant get over the time they wheeled in like half a boat on crime scene 2, i honestly have no clue where you even source something like that

the production crews on korean shows are absolutely insane

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

qbert posted:

I haven't seen the episode yet, but there IS an abandoned amusement park right in Seoul: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/yongma-land-abandoned-themepark

You can visit and take photos. The owner even rents out props. Pretty neat!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

If you can visit it and take photos isn't it no longer an abandoned amusement park?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Great Escape S03E08 subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I can see why it'd be a bummer and isn't likely to happen, but a Great Escape episode set in one of the run-down buildings that were built as part of the South Korean Olympics would be interesting.