Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Joe Slowboat posted:

Is this the infamous , or another rapist?

(I think I first learned about Dominic Deegan during the Strong Female Protagonist thread's final evolution into pure mock and horror.)

This is indeed jazzhands rapist

PetraCore posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he also a minor? Everything about that scene is horrible but I dimly remember interpreting it as a situation where he was also raped-by-proxy in being forced to have sex with her or she'd be killed, but Mookie's so tone-deaf it's treated as a heroic thing he did instead of something deeply hosed up that doesn't even make a ton of situational sense.

yeah they are both like early teens I think.

E: Oh poo poo, I totally forgot about the smoothtalking elemental who everybody hates because he's a womanizer. What a jerk jock!

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he also a minor? Everything about that scene is horrible but I dimly remember interpreting it as a situation where he was also raped-by-proxy in being forced to have sex with her or she'd be killed, but Mookie's so tone-deaf it's treated as a heroic thing he did instead of something deeply hosed up that doesn't even make a ton of situational sense.

It was also talked about in the middle of an arc about how Orcs are actually really noble and Siegfried was evil for being racist towards them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

iirc they ended up being corrupted by demons?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Uh

Er

Isn't what is depicted in the second strip I quoted, y'know... Rape?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yes

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
He did the same joke with Celesto later, and if I remember right tried to walk it back by saying they were into it?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
For some reason, one DD moment that sticks out to me was when Greg and his buddies were thinking up a name for their metal band and remembered some veteran with a burned face who had to get a daily wash because of oozing sores. So they named the band FACE BATH.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

rudecyrus posted:

For some reason, one DD moment that sticks out to me was when Greg and his buddies were thinking up a name for their metal band and remembered some veteran with a burned face who had to get a daily wash because of oozing sores. So they named the band FACE BATH.

But that was after his original band, Oblivion Folder, kicked him out

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Talking about the heroic rapist arc reminded me that Mookie intentionally cut off all other aspects to force the narrative.

Remember, the orc matrons check the hymen to ensure heroic rape happened. Remember that detail Mookie forced into the situation so that it had to happen as he was wanted it to.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Drunk Theory posted:

Talking about the heroic rapist arc reminded me that Mookie intentionally cut off all other aspects to force the narrative.

Remember, the orc matrons check the hymen to ensure heroic rape happened. Remember that detail Mookie forced into the situation so that it had to happen as he was wanted it to.

IIRC there's also a panel where Stonewater tore her clothes up.

Back to Legacy I went hunting and found this note on the Dominic Deegan page in Tvtropes of all places.

quote:

In May 2015, Mookie revealed that a new stretch goal for the Patreon of Star Power would be a sequel comic called The Legacy of Dominic Deegan, set two centuries after the original comic. As of 2018, however, this stretch goal has not been attained, but in July 2019, The Legacy of Dominic Deegan officially began.

So nobody really wanted it but by god he's doing it anyway!

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 9, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Just so people can see what I was talking about

I forgot that this sequence happens almost immediatly afterwards

i'd forgotten how jarring the out of nowhere violence, and weird worldbuilding poo poo, is when interspersed with his sort of jokey last panel endings.

also DEFORMITY. Having no dialogue means the children will never experience Mookie's weird tendecy to bold words.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 9, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Oh yeah, then priest lady went to the Desert To Die.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

She's going to the desert to DIE. DIIIIEEEEE. "I'm going to the desert to DIE." Do you not understand? DIE. DEAD. D-E-A-D DEAD.

Except "die" is really just "confess my sins and renew my vows with the church" and Mookie was being dramatic for no loving reason.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Don't forget the part where before her pilgrimage to the Desert To Die, Jayden went on a vow of silence that lasted for years. She broke the vow to give marriage rites to her friends, which would have been a significant moment of symbolism if not for the fact that Greg began talking over her to steal the show.

It's also worth noting that the desert arc quickly swerved away from being about Jayden's feelings at all and instead focused primarily about a guy who tagged along with her, and his angst over killing his mom for being a cheating sl oops sorry, that was retconned mid-arc. Stunt actually killed his mother by accident and was only waving a knife around due to the influences of religion sexism religious sexism his neglectful father lesbians the thief he met after he killed his mom who knows, Stunt changed his story at least five times in that arc and all of it was to place blame on every other person in his life. Jayden mostly existed as someone for him to talk to, and to occasionally threaten by pulling a knife on her and calling her a whore.

Meanwhile I can't remember if Milov faced any consequence at all for destroying a human house of worship and banishing all of them from his territory, all because of Jayden. I think he lost face in his pack? But I'm pretty sure didn't take on vows of atonement for attempted murder of his girlfriend.

V Oh, how wonderful!

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 10, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Fuego Fish posted:

Because he, her rapist who raped her when she was a minor, reminded her of her father. Who had been murdered in front of her, along with her mother, immediately before said rape.

:shepface:

Also Hoooly poo poo I forgot all about this. For how often it was the butt of jokes back in the day Mookie’s treatment of Melna was downright heinous.

Speaking of orcs:

In true Deegan fashion Snout snitches to his momwife to fix his problems. You gonna beat up this old Orc dude and steal his books?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If this leads into a conversation that Snout (and we) are not privy to leaving us to piece what happens together ourselves that would be cool.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
What is her name.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ague Proof posted:

What is her name.
...wife?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Paige Finder.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Her name is Dominic Deegan Jr. The Sixth and that's why she can't reveal it until a dramatically appropriate time.

edit: alternately her first name is Legacy of Dominic

Libra fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 10, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Snout is absolutely terrified of a man who has so far done... ?

This villain sucks.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Maxwell Lord posted:

This villain sucks.

He puts people to sleep. He's Mookie's latest self-insert.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

This villain sucks.

He booped Snout

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YF-23 posted:

If this leads into a conversation that Snout (and we) are not privy to leaving us to piece what happens together ourselves that would be cool.

They're going to literally spell it out for no reason.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Libra posted:

Her name is Dominic Deegan Jr. The Sixth and that's why she can't reveal it until a dramatically appropriate time.

edit: alternately her first name is Legacy of Dominic

IMO she's some derivative of Luna or Miranda.

Alternatively she's named Morgan because the twist is that she's a Celesto descendent rather than Dominic.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Man, I don't check the thread for 6 hours. Glad to see so much activity.

MiracleFlare posted:

Don't forget the part where before her pilgrimage to the Desert To Die, Jayden went on a vow of silence that lasted for years. She broke the vow to give marriage rites to her friends, which would have been a significant moment of symbolism if not for the fact that Greg began talking over her to steal the show.

It's also worth noting that the desert arc quickly swerved away from being about Jayden's feelings at all and instead focused primarily about a guy who tagged along with her, and his angst over killing his mom for being a cheating sl oops sorry, that was retconned mid-arc. Stunt actually killed his mother by accident and was only waving a knife around due to the influences of religion sexism religious sexism his neglectful father lesbians the thief he met after he killed his mom who knows, Stunt changed his story at least five times in that arc and all of it was to place blame on every other person in his life. Jayden mostly existed as someone for him to talk to, and to occasionally threaten by pulling a knife on her and calling her a whore.

Meanwhile I can't remember if Milov faced any consequence at all for destroying a human house of worship and banishing all of them from his territory, all because of Jayden. I think he lost face in his pack? But I'm pretty sure didn't take on vows of atonement for attempted murder of his girlfriend.

V Oh, how wonderful!
Eldariat to Die is really one of the worst arcs. No, Milov never experienced any serious consequences for this.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

She's going to the desert to DIE. DIIIIEEEEE. "I'm going to the desert to DIE." Do you not understand? DIE. DEAD. D-E-A-D DEAD.

Except "die" is really just "confess my sins and renew my vows with the church" and Mookie was being dramatic for no loving reason.
No, Jayden was literally killed in a random encounter with a giant scarab beetle, but she was carrying a magic item that immediately rezd her so it didn't matter. She did that other boring poo poo too, but there was no cheat or dodge with the "die" part.

Mikl posted:

Uh

Er

Isn't what is depicted in the second strip I quoted, y'know... Rape?
Yeah but a woman is doing it to a man so Mookie thinks that makes it hilarious.

Mors Rattus posted:

iirc they ended up being corrupted by demons?
Not exactly. Stonewater and his rapist pals weren't the ones corrupted by demons into doing the rapes back in the past. The people around Dominic who shunned Stonewater for being a child rapist were only doing so because they were being mind controlled by a demonic spirit of hate, because that's the only reason Mookie could think of why someone wouldn't like Stonewater who is so awesome and cool.

PetraCore posted:

Yes, Stonewater was ~14 at the time and raping the chieftain's daughter was his coming of age ceremony where he'd be recognized as a man by his tribe.

GrossMurpel posted:

Don't worry about it, I was just amazed and horrified at your Deegan lore knowledge.
Oh, ok, thanks. Yeah, it's one of my talents and this is one of the only appropriate places to ever bring it up.

EDIT:

Pyrotoad posted:

IMO she's some derivative of Luna or Miranda.

Alternatively she's named Morgan because the twist is that she's a Celesto descendent rather than Dominic.
I assume you're talking namewise, but this being Mookie, I'm considering other possibilities.

She can't be Luna's direct biological descendent since Luna sacrificed her gooch to make the orcland fertile again. She donated a half dozen or so of her eggs, suffused with magic from that dragon thing that empowered her to no effect in that one scene, to various infertile couple through the alterist, so I personally think inkwich is the descendent from one of these eggs and that she and the other eggs became influential superheroes and supervillains over the last 200 years.

It would be hilarious if she was Miranda's bastard son who we've never mentioned til now and there was a secret fourth Deegan brother hiding away or from an alternate dimension like the Summers family in X-men.

You know what a derivative of both Luna and Miranda is? Luana. She's really Jayden's descendent.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 10, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The worst for me was the marriage arc

which totally by absolute coincidence happened at the same time Mookie was getting married IRL.

and was entirely about how his inlaws to be absolutely disapproved of him.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010
In literally any other comic, the ink witch is absolutely being set up to be the actual villain. She had a freaky ship, she cozied up to Snout suuuuper fast, her reasons Arudak is bad are vague...

But it's mookie, so it's not gonna happen.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Synthbuttrange posted:

The worst for me was the marriage arc

which totally by absolute coincidence happened at the same time Mookie was getting married IRL.

and was entirely about how his inlaws to be absolutely disapproved of him.
Yeah, the honeymoon arc was loving terrible, it was all an elaborate jerkoff, and it lasted for over a year. I can hardly blame them. I wouldn't exactly be excited to have Mookie as an in-law. I wonder if they've read the comic.

Baller Ina posted:

In literally any other comic, the ink witch is absolutely being set up to be the actual villain. She had a freaky ship, she cozied up to Snout suuuuper fast, her reasons Arudak is bad are vague...

But it's mookie, so it's not gonna happen.
I would drop my chaw if this twist occurred. I seriously doubt it because Mookie is incapable of subtlety.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

He puts people to sleep. He's Mookie's latest self-insert.

:eyepop:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
shits going to be another "actually hes not a villian just misunderstood!" thing

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ryde posted:

shits going to be another "actually hes not a villian just misunderstood!" thing

More likely "oh wait I made him too sympathetic and people like him more than the protagonists, time to make him into a serial killer!"

Well, except that the only feedback he gets now are a few tepidly positive tweets so maybe not.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Let's be real here: if nobody wanted this thing then Mookie's going to do whatever the gently caress he wants to do and drat the consequences.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hostile V posted:

Let's be real here: if nobody wanted this thing then Mookie's going to do whatever the gently caress he wants to do and drat the consequences.
It's the one thing I kind of weirdly admire about him artistically. Do I think he's good at this in any way? No. Does he have serious determination to do long-form comics that only he really fully appreciates? Yes.

If only that determination was paired with self-improvement, we might at least have an El Goonish Shive situation going on here.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Enough people apparently appreciate Star Power enough for it to support him, although I cannot fathom why.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

New artist.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

TheHan posted:

Also Hoooly poo poo I forgot all about this. For how often it was the butt of jokes back in the day Mookie’s treatment of Melna was downright heinous.

Speaking of orcs:

In true Deegan fashion Snout snitches to his momwife to fix his problems. You gonna beat up this old Orc dude and steal his books?

The first four panels are almost a Loss.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hostile V posted:

New artist.

Born in Known Space, raised by the likes of Lazarus Long, Dr. Susan Calvin, and Lt. Miles Vorkosigan, Garth Graham has only ever partially shared the same reality as most of us. Fascinated by what might be and what isn't, rather than weighed down by the drama of what is, he has forged a tenuous bridge made of ink and paper between our world and some strange unknowable scape where improbable dreams are born. Perhaps it has driven him a little mad. Yet such madness has born fine delectable fruit for our eye organs. His previous works include the webcomics Comedity and Finder's Keepers. In his spare time Garth likes to laugh maniacally about the abstract and fictional concept of “spare time” and does his level best to refute entropy.

Mikl posted:

The first four panels are almost a Loss.

I'd say the whole comic is a loss.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ague Proof posted:

Born in Known Space, raised by the likes of Lazarus Long, Dr. Susan Calvin, and Lt. Miles Vorkosigan, Garth Graham has only ever partially shared the same reality as most of us. Fascinated by what might be and what isn't, rather than weighed down by the drama of what is, he has forged a tenuous bridge made of ink and paper between our world and some strange unknowable scape where improbable dreams are born. Perhaps it has driven him a little mad. Yet such madness has born fine delectable fruit for our eye organs. His previous works include the webcomics Comedity and Finder's Keepers. In his spare time Garth likes to laugh maniacally about the abstract and fictional concept of “spare time” and does his level best to refute entropy.

Exactly the kind of person I'd expect to be working with a cringey goofball who calls himself Mookie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Exactly the kind of person I'd expect to be working with a cringey goofball who calls himself Mookie

That bio made my soul hemorrhage.