Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kanfy posted:

I got Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3 for free with my 970 and I still haven't actually played Arkham Knight nor finished The Witcher 3.

I just want to say I got Far Cry 4 with my 970 and I am incredibly jealous!

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Watched a bit of the stream, looks pretty cool - chill puzzle-quest solitaire. If anyone has put some time in keen to know your perceptions. (Saw your other post Strix).

Ancient Enemy does look great! Might get it this weekend, we'll see how I feel. If I do I'll post impressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

anilEhilated posted:

Combat is still Skyrim-style but there is more focus on using movement to dodge attacks, mostly because they put in a mechanic that prevents mass abuse of healing potions. Skills got completely revamped, it runs on an experience/money leveling system now where you gain learning points on level-ups which you then combine with skill books to level the stats, making money an important part of the game. Skill trees now also contain active abilities (shout replacements) that don't share cooldowns and let you do some pretty cool stuff, especially when combined.

It does have better writing than Skyrim but that isn't saying much - it advertises itself as a "psychological story" which is basically bullshit but it is a good fantasy romp pretty close to the older Elder Scrolls in style. It has a much tighter world that is a lot of fun to explore, very few dungeons are just throwaway bandit hideouts with a leveled chest at the end (and those that are are a lot prettier).

Definitely sounds worth giving a go. I see it has its own entry on Steam. Do I just install Skyrim SE and then install that via Steam?

edit: forgot a very important question: does it have good fashion options, or just the already existing skyrim gear?

double edit: oh I misread the earlier post, I need original skyrim for it. wellp, maybe I'll buy it later.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 10, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SirSamVimes posted:

How is Enderal? As someone who's kind of bored of Bethesda RPGs, does it have better writing/satisfying combat? The description says it revamps how combat/skills work, or is that an exaggeration?

it completely loving owns

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Still Life: JGXKM-00QVQ-VR984

Circuit Breakers: JEYAA-3M343-6PCXT

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

SirSamVimes posted:

How is Enderal? As someone who's kind of bored of Bethesda RPGs, does it have better writing/satisfying combat? The description says it revamps how combat/skills work, or is that an exaggeration?

sebmojo posted:

it completely loving owns

One caveat--it certainly doesn't go out of it's way to hand-hold at the beginning. If you find yourself getting constantly bent over, don't hesitate to turn the difficulty down, and then back up again later when you start feeling a little less squishy. Also, world areas are hand-leveled, so you can get into deep poo poo if you wander too far in the wrong direction.

But yeah, Enderal is probably the most fun I've ever had with an Elder Scrolls game (other than maybe Morrowind on launch, because that blew my loving mind).

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
From what I remember of my brief attempt to play Enderal, it’s Elder Scrolls with terrible sound mixing and VO and every enemy is a damage sponge while you’re a piece of damp toilet paper.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
But what does the mod add to the game?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a total conversion, it makes it a completely different game. Whether that's a good thing is really up to you do decide.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

it's a new game

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

FastestGunAlive posted:

:grin:

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Orv posted:

Break every bone in a mans body?

89 BPM heart rate, unconscious.

There's also the fact that Arkham's on lockdown. If these guys do survive for ages without medical attention, they're losing those limbs.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Something called Alder's Blood released today and caught my eye. Anyone have first-hand experience before I add it to a weekend splurge?

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Also, why don't the villains shoot batman in the exposed area of his mask???????

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Trickyblackjack posted:

Also, why don't the villains shoot batman in the exposed area of his mask???????

Orv
May 4, 2011
In this essay I will be explaining why the Imperial occupation of Kashyyyk...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Batman's parents would still be alive if they both open carried.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Memnaelar posted:

Something called Alder's Blood released today and caught my eye. Anyone have first-hand experience before I add it to a weekend splurge?

There's a free prologue as well, so you could get a taste of it before plunging. I'm downloading it to see myself.

Oh yeah -- also, TooShyGuy/GoldPlatedGames is going to be streaming it on Twitch as part of an indie variety night at 12am Eastern.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Grim Dawn and it's expansions are on sale this weekend, $5 for the base game and $28 for the base + expansions. The former seems obviously worth it but how about the expansion bundle? Worth it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fifteen of Many posted:

Grim Dawn and it's expansions are on sale this weekend, $5 for the base game and $28 for the base + expansions. The former seems obviously worth it but how about the expansion bundle? Worth it?

Ashes of Malmouth: extends the campaign. Only buy after you've beaten the campaign.
Crucible: afaik not very good bonus mode
Forgotten Gods: side campaign, adds a bunch of other stuff

Which is to say, you'll want them all eventually if you love Grim Dawn, but you should start with the base game and see if you will play it more than once.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Depends on how much you want the extra three classes that Ashes of Malmouth and Forgotten Gods get you. The base game is already pretty long and expansive and I've never managed to actually finish it, although that's partly also because it suffers a bit from the same problems I always had with Titan Quest, which it is based on: the abilities it gives you just aren't all that fun to use and the cooldown mechanics keep you from really going hog wild with the handful that are. It's one of those games I want to like a lot more than I really do.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Blattdorf posted:

Receiver 2 is coming out in seven days.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Depends on how much you want the extra three classes that Ashes of Malmouth and Forgotten Gods get you.
One of which lets you dual-wield pistols as a level 1 ability, as a note.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so everyone with Vermintide II got an 80% off coupon for Deathwing, the coop terminator tyrannid fps. It has/had bad reviews but the coupon is for the enhanced edition which is getting better reviews and brings the price down to $8. it also has, thanks to the coupon, enough people playing that multiplayer will probably be active for a good month or so. anyone have any experience with it? is it a decent mediocre coop experience for a little while or not worth $8?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Frog Act posted:

so everyone with Vermintide II got an 80% off coupon for Deathwing, the coop terminator tyrannid fps. It has/had bad reviews but the coupon is for the enhanced edition which is getting better reviews and brings the price down to $8. it also has, thanks to the coupon, enough people playing that multiplayer will probably be active for a good month or so. anyone have any experience with it? is it a decent mediocre coop experience for a little while or not worth $8?

I’ve tried it twice and both times got lost in the super dark first level and gave up. Just play EYE instead.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m itching for a sim city, roller coaster tycoon sort of game where you build up a city/amusement park from nothing. I haven’t played one in like 20 years but I just upgraded the crap out of my pc.

Edit: google says Cities Skylines but I’ve somehow not heard of it. Is that the one?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

I’m itching for a sim city, roller coaster tycoon sort of game where you build up a city/amusement park from nothing. I haven’t played one in like 20 years but I just upgraded the crap out of my pc.

Cities Skylines is the best city builder since Simcity 4.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve tried it twice and both times got lost in the super dark first level and gave up. Just play EYE instead.

shame, I was about ready to grab it based on Streum being the developers and I just want them to have money on account of EYE, but it sounds like it just doesn't hold up

i'm shocked that they were given the license and didn't manage to do something incredible with it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Cities Skylines is the best city builder since Simcity 4.

I just worked in an edit asking about that! Guess that’s it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Frog Act posted:

shame, I was about ready to grab it based on Streum being the developers and I just want them to have money on account of EYE, but it sounds like it just doesn't hold up

i'm shocked that they were given the license and didn't manage to do something incredible with it

I think the problem was that they had a license, any license, which means they couldn’t go as weird... and that a license usually comes with some quality control so there wasn’t as much accidental strangeness from technical problems and weird translations. EYE was like watching a foreign movie with a hangover and a concussion. It was a one-of-a-kind thing.

Rolo posted:

I just worked in an edit asking about that! Guess that’s it.

Its worth picking up some expansions, too, but I don’t remember which are the must-haves.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Fifteen of Many posted:

One note to keep in mind is that the expansions go on sale very often, even the newest one. They are sizable expansions and definitely worth it if you like the game, but you might want to make sure you like the game first.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Frog Act posted:

They are currently working on another Warhammer 40K FPS for Focus Home Interactive, so still waiting to see that one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rolo posted:

Edit: google says Cities Skylines but I’ve somehow not heard of it. Is that the one?

You should check out Parkitect too! Planet Coaster is more of a toy where you design pretty things than any kind of management game. I like it but it's fluff. Parkitect has more crunch to it.

e: Strix dang it I'm gonna install a Batman and *play* it this time.

ee: also Lego DC Supervillains is on sale again, please buy it people, it's so much fun, I never uninstall it in case I need to go gently caress up Gotham City some more

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PowerBeard posted:

They are currently working on another Warhammer 40K FPS for Focus Home Interactive, so still waiting to see that one.
If that's the case, I hope it's mechanically closer to EYE. Like, you could pretty much make the same game except this time you're an Inquisitor, story choices let you go radical or puritan, there, solved it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

All I want is E.Y.E. 2, featuring good map design. It has fantastic guns and powers and mobility and all, but most of the maps blew.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would really like an EYE 2 that isn't made in Source, because Source is a horrible engine and everything ever made in it feels floaty as hell and I've kind of gotten used to player movement not feeling like you're zipping around on inline skates.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I would really like an EYE 2 that isn't made in Source, because Source is a horrible engine and everything ever made in it feels floaty as hell and I've kind of gotten used to player movement not feeling like you're zipping around on inline skates.

*monkey's paw curls*

we are pleased to announce that eye 2 will be on lumberyard

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

All I want is E.Y.E. 2, featuring good map design. It has fantastic guns and powers and mobility and all, but most of the maps blew.

Bite your tongue, those maps were amazing... for 16-32 player co-op.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PowerBeard posted:

Bite your tongue, those maps were amazing... for 16-32 player co-op.
I really want an EYE battle royale game. It would be the first battle royale game I'd have any interest in playing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AssCreed Origins: spent today chilling by ignoring all quests in order to clear ? marks I missed from earlier areas. Egypt is really drat pretty!

Batman Arkham Asylum: double tap to dodge are they serious, this is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a good writeup of recommended graphical settings/tweaks for AC: Origins? I have a decently powerful system (i7-6700k, GTX1070, 16gb ram) but I get maybe on average 45FPS in Origins, ~30 in towns and as dumb as it sounds it bums me out enough to not want to keep playing it. :smith: