Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Carvana approved the $7800 quote. Anyone in this thread want it for 8k? Yes, I'm aware that I'm taking a 10k bath on it.

Anything you want to keep to sell later, floor mats or whatever they didn't even ask on mine, just saying...when they come they will verify the VIN and drive it to see the odometer click over 1 more mile to make sure ODO works. That is it nothing else was checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I hope they don't try to turn on the radio, cuz that stopped working at some point after they replaced the shark fin.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
As far as I know they don't test anything. I took out the trunk liner (it was an option anyways) the heavy duty weathertech type one. I just sold the skyline with the weak battery or I would have swapped batteries. I had a cracked rear bumper and the dude walked around it and did not seem to care. Nothing in the email they send you or text will say radio needs to work it just says they can't take it if the battery is dead or tires or flat where they can't drive it. If you can get $$ for floor mats take them out throw some $10 walmart ones in there if you are worried about it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

Carvana approved the $7800 quote. Anyone in this thread want it for 8k? Yes, I'm aware that I'm taking a 10k bath on it.

If my house was put together, I'd be doing a fly and drive. That's a crazy good price. glwc

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The S65痴 scheduled to go into the shop week of 3/16 for lowering links, the Weistec meth kit, and heat exchanger. Should find a LSD too before they have it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Ugh, if I didn't already have an e9x burning a hole into my paychecks...and I'm local.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Tremek posted:

The S65痴 scheduled to go into the shop week of 3/16 for lowering links, the Weistec meth kit, and heat exchanger. Should find a LSD too before they have it

Eagerly looking forward to your review and pics of the ride height post install of the links!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Ugh, if I didn't already have an e9x burning a hole into my paychecks...and I'm local.

If I end up selling to Carvana, let's go do the burnout somewhere.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Called Kleemann and found out my MB independent is a dealer for them, so they're getting a Quaife LSD dropshipped for next week's surgery.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Tremek posted:

Called Kleemann and found out my MB independent is a dealer for them, so they're getting a Quaife LSD dropshipped for next week's surgery.

It's like he's allergic to both boredom and money!

Can't wait to see the finished product, that thing is gonna be a missile

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

If I end up selling to Carvana, let's go do the burnout somewhere.
Hell yeah pimp

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Maksimus54 posted:

It's like he's allergic to both boredom and money!

Can't wait to see the finished product, that thing is gonna be a missile

I hope so. Another random Mexico back roads Dragy moment:

Warmer out today, mid-50s, and I gave it a shot with TC off, but as before wheel spin all through 1st even when modulating the accelerator and not just stomping it is just the way she does. At least it seems relatively consistent. Will be interesting to see what it's capable of post-tune, meth, and LSD. There's no way the DA calculation in the Dragy screenshot is accurate, but 5500 ft actual elevation isn't helping regardless

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Driving back to the shop earlier this week passed a cop clocking on i70. Checked my rear view cause thats what you do when and noticed a poo poo ton of smoke trailing behind me. I had about 3 seconds of denial and then the ABC malfunction light came on. Aw gently caress. I was about 15 miles from my shop so i pressed on. The red ABC failure stop vehicle now lit up and im like fuckit. Made it to the shop billowing smoke.

Here we go. Let her cool down. Filled her up with pentosin started it up and saw a river come out of the tandem pump dampener.

Threw a new one in. Pump noise is all gone.
Gonna do a rodeo on Monday. But pretty sure I disproved the theory that the pump is trash seconds after fluid loss.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tremek posted:

I hope so. Another random Mexico back roads Dragy moment:

Warmer out today, mid-50s, and I gave it a shot with TC off, but as before wheel spin all through 1st even when modulating the accelerator and not just stomping it is just the way she does. At least it seems relatively consistent. Will be interesting to see what it's capable of post-tune, meth, and LSD. There's no way the DA calculation in the Dragy screenshot is accurate, but 5500 ft actual elevation isn't helping regardless

You know, if I thought you were anything less than an amazing person with a bitchin' car, I would buy you a new avatar:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Here we go. Let her cool down. Filled her up with pentosin started it up and saw a river come out of the tandem pump dampener.

Threw a new one in. Pump noise is all gone.
Gonna do a rodeo on Monday. But pretty sure I disproved the theory that the pump is trash seconds after fluid loss.

Phew. How many spares did you have? Or was the new one from the shop?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sale attempt timeline:
- month back, I had the Carvana offer locked in, just needed to schedule a pickup
- friend's wedding in PA was the one thing I was looking forward to using the S65 for, just haul rear end down there in style and comfort for the new baby
- decide not to sell until after the wedding
- predictably, the wedding is canceled with the escalating coronavirus measures
- i decide, ok, guess i should just sell it
- refresh my Carvana offer, which goes through the system again
- schedule a pickup for the weekend
- get an email on Thursday that Carvana is no longer doing pickups because of the virus, and will only reevaluate later

We've driven the car once since the antenna's been replaced. Mostly cuz we've just taking care of the baby indoors.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Phew. How many spares did you have? Or was the new one from the shop?

New from worldpac. Took a week to get tho.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So was that directly off the tandem pump?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Sale attempt timeline:
- month back, I had the Carvana offer locked in, just needed to schedule a pickup
- friend's wedding in PA was the one thing I was looking forward to using the S65 for, just haul rear end down there in style and comfort for the new baby
- decide not to sell until after the wedding
- predictably, the wedding is canceled with the escalating coronavirus measures
- i decide, ok, guess i should just sell it
- refresh my Carvana offer, which goes through the system again
- schedule a pickup for the weekend
- get an email on Thursday that Carvana is no longer doing pickups because of the virus, and will only reevaluate later

We've driven the car once since the antenna's been replaced. Mostly cuz we've just taking care of the baby indoors.

Sorry to hear that Carvana deal was too easy...have to say I give them 5 stars for the whole experience.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

So was that directly off the tandem pump?

yep.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Finally did a maintenance drive last night while getting groceries. Car's alignment has never been super straight, but it seems to be pulling to the left more than I remember.
The first half of the drive, something sounded a bit clanky from the motor. Maybe a dried out accessory.

Pretty uneventful except for hitting a huge pothole from the front right wheel. Nothing blew up from that yet, but that's the kind of mentality I'm at with the car.

The car still delivers a pretty special driving experience, though. It's fun knowing how much oomph on demand you have under the pedal.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Car washes aren't considered essential businesses these days here in Tennessee. My poor S550 is so damned dirty, I'm thinking I'll lobby the local government and teach them that an S-Class MUST be clean. Car wash is ESSENTIAL BUSINESS!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Whenever I take mine in through the automatic car wash you would think I enabled some nuclear bomb sequence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh, I forgot -- the radio started working again! German electrics are just so exciting.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Oh, I forgot -- the radio started working again! German electrics are just so exciting.

I took mine out for the first time in a couple weeks the other day and while accelerating on an on-ramp somehow triggered the SOS telematics to phone some poor woman god knows where not once but twice. Kind of fascinating that the 08痴 cellular radio can still negotiate a working call connection on demand but tilt wheel adjustment is absolutely VERBOTEN

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
I had MB disable the telematics on my old e-class. They had to pull an optical fiber link out in the trunk and bypass the box.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fiber for an emergency telematics system? I would think fiber would be too easily damaged in a bad wreck for it to phone home, wouldn't it?

Tremek posted:

I took mine out for the first time in a couple weeks the other day and while accelerating on an on-ramp somehow triggered the SOS telematics to phone some poor woman god knows where not once but twice. Kind of fascinating that the ‘08’s cellular radio can still negotiate a working call connection on demand but tilt wheel adjustment is absolutely VERBOTEN

My 2006 Saturn's OnStar was still working fine. :shrug: It runs on VZW CDMA though, so whenever that finally gets sunsetted, so does that generation OnStar (GM was still using VZW CDMA for OnStar up until 2014 or 2015 :rolleyes:). VZW was supposed to turn off CDMA at the end of 2019, it got pushed back to 2020 because there's so many telematics systems (and stuff like heart monitors, etc) that still run on it.

It didn't support any of the newer OnStar features, just the basic ones, but it did work.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Alarm systems are another huge component of that. Getting off of legacy anything is always rough when the footprint is large

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Depending on where you route the fibre I imagine it would be just fine, or at least only become damaged when the chassis is so thoroughly intruded upon that it's a certainty the owner is killed anyway.

I'd trust that more than a copper wire which (especially in Merc's case) is likely to be corroded after 20 years when the sixteenth owner careens it into a bridge abutment on his way home from the strip club.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tremek posted:

Alarm systems are another huge component of that. Getting off of legacy anything is always rough when the footprint is large

Yup. My parents alarm is on cellular, and they got a forced upgrade to LTE about 2 years ago - it was relatively cheap (I think a $100 service call including equipment? the transceiver alone costs more than that), but their monitoring company basically said "do this or we stop monitoring your system". They gained the ability to remotely arm/disarm and see what doors/windows are open (well, zones anyway.. it's only a 4 zone system), since it's now two way communication (though the monitoring company wants an extra :10bux: a month for that :rolleyes:).

In their case, it's an external modem that ties into the ~20 year old alarm panel via the keypad bus (which is where a wireless receiver would also tie in, if they had any wireless door/window contacts), but even the current panels from that company don't have an OE method to add cellular that I know of. I guess DSC figured the 3rd party equipment suppliers handled it well enough that they don't need to bother? The old 2G external modem tied into the phone jack hookups instead of the keypad bus.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 10, 2020

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

My lumbar support decides it wants to inflate randomly from time to time.. Maybe my car thinks my posture sucks.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I really miss my Mercedes.

kimbo305 posted:

...sometimes.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Preoptopus posted:

My lumbar support decides it wants to inflate randomly from time to time.. Maybe my car thinks my posture sucks.

I致e seen seats that looked like someone jammed a soccer ball in there. Apparently, sometimes the transistors in the dynamic seat control fail and the valves don稚 turn off!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This afternoon, brought the portable battery out to the S65 to run the tender for half a day.
Just went to go get it and see how much charge was left. It was dead already. No biggie.
I hit the trunk close button and walked away, only to hear a disconcerting snap and to see the trunk not quite close, and then cycle open.

The right replacement strut snapped at the head. I didn't have any tools on me but was able to use one of the copper gator clip heads of the tender to pry the clip off the ball socket end.
And I got the nicer SUSPA OEM units, too!

Shelled out a big $15 to get 2 whatever replacements.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

STR posted:

Fiber for an emergency telematics system? I would think fiber would be too easily damaged in a bad wreck for it to phone home, wouldn't it?

One of the methods used for our FTTH installs is slit trenching direct bury fibre. About as thick as a conventional FM antenna cable, maybe less, and easily takes impact from a shovel, pretty sure it stands up to weed eaters too, as some installs get staples along fences as well. I知 certain Mercedes came up with something for this exact scenario.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I just realized I replaced the trunk struts before the rear-ending. Maybe they didn't replace the strut.

Carvana recently announced they were buying again. Same settings, and the car is now appraised at 3400.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 20, 2020

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Lol I love being upside down. Rebuilt coil packs come Monday.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I just realized I replaced the trunk struts before the rear-ending. Maybe they didn't replace the strut.

Carvana recently announced they were buying again. Same settings, and the car is now appraised at 3400.

Wait a little longer and maybe it can quality as a Lemons car.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Augh! On a short vacation in Georgia to visit family and my front right airmatic seems to have a slow leak. At the dealership now getting it looked at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Strut is leaking. Blah. Checking on third party replacement cost. They want approximately 2k for the OEM front strut. Not today, my friend.