Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Weapons gain their own SP right? Spending it on one isn't taking it away from another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just can’t get over the new character designs vs. the original classic designs, especially when they stand next to each other. It‘s like a GTA mod.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Weapons gain their own SP right? Spending it on one isn't taking it away from another?

Correct. Basically weapons are jobs in this one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does Auto-Cure have to be linked to Cure in order to work?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Does Auto-Cure have to be linked to Cure in order to work?

No. I'm pretty sure you need Cure in your materia slots somewhere but the only materia that need to be linked to work are blue ones.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ImpAtom posted:

There is. You find a little about it early and it gets brought up more significantly later but the sunlight is entirely artificial.

I found that out like ten minutes after I made my post about it, lol

esperterra posted:

The trains go through the upper and lower levels of Midgar. All the middle management types were just on their commutes home, or stuck at slum stations due to TERRORISM

Nah that particular dude does live in the slums, he is met by his family at the Sector 7 slum station and you can see him saying bye to them as he leaves for work the next morning.

I had assumed it was saying "Look Shinra doesn't even take care of their own only the very top of the elite get to live on the plate" but yeah also entirely possible he's just a complete fuckup lmao

Just finished Chapter 7 and have some thoughts. Namely: Chapters 5 through 7 are some of the best gaming times I can remember recently having. Absolutely phenomenal.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m doing Just Flew in from the Graveyard right now. Am I supposed to be breaking Shinra crates, or mashing triangle around any kind of crate in the abandoned factory?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I’m doing Just Flew in from the Graveyard right now. Am I supposed to be breaking Shinra crates, or mashing triangle around any kind of crate in the abandoned factory?

It's in a Shinra crate. Not sure if it's randomized or not

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Pollyanna posted:

Shinra crates. Can't remember where exactly it is but I found it not too far from the room you need to unlock.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Shinra crates. Can't remember where exactly it is but I found it not too far from the room you need to unlock.

Mine was near the bench/vending machine I think

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Read the OP and scanned last few pages, trying not to read any even light spoilers.

Do saves from the demo carry over into retail? My game should be here Tuesday but wanted to start on the demo tonight if the saves carry over.

I’ve googled around and have seen nothing g saying yes or no so I’m asking here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Correct. Basically weapons are jobs in this one.

That's one of my favorite aspects of the gameplay, too. I like nonlinear equipment systems, where you don't just keep gaining linear upgrades but instead gain new options that let you specialize in different ways. Combining that with weapon SP being per-weapon and gained whether you use the weapon or not makes it really friendly to player experimentation. I love it.

Linux Nazi posted:

Read the OP and scanned last few pages, trying not to read any even light spoilers.

Do saves from the demo carry over into retail? My game should be here Tuesday but wanted to start on the demo tonight if the saves carry over.

I’ve googled around and have seen nothing g saying yes or no so I’m asking here.

Saves do not carry over.

The demo is fairly short and fun, though, and there are a couple of extra scenes in the full game during the part the demo covers, so playing through it twice probably won't feel onerous or anything if you just really want to try the game out now.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
lol man (chapter 8 spoiler) it kinda sucks if you put lightning>elemental on cloud's sword before airbuster like a big smarty man and don't realize you'll have to fight reno, who's resistant to lightning, right the gently caress after it

rip my rear end hole, this game is so much harder than a normal jrpg

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Mine was near the bench/vending machine I think

Mine too, so it's probably set.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

lol man (chapter 8 spoiler) it kinda sucks if you put lightning>elemental on cloud's sword before airbuster like a big smarty man and don't realize you'll have to fight reno, who's resistant to lightning, right the gently caress after it

Actually, it's not a bad tactic. It's how I beat him. I'd had that set-up on Tifa for the Airbuster, but I changed it to Cloud after dying once in the Reno fight, because it adds elemental damage, but also gives you elemental resistance. Getting electricity resistance in that fight is clutch, even if it drops your DPS a bit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m impressed at how much of a loving dork Cloud is. Again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CottonWolf posted:

Actually, it's not a bad tactic. It's how I beat him. I'd had that set-up on Tifa for the Airbuster, but I changed it to Cloud after dying once in the Reno fight, because it adds elemental damage, but also gives you elemental resistance. Getting electricity resistance in that fight is clutch, even if it drops your DPS a bit.

Elemental resistance only happens if you have on it armour though

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ms Adequate posted:

I had assumed it was saying "Look Shinra doesn't even take care of their own only the very top of the elite get to live on the plate" but yeah also entirely possible he's just a complete fuckup lmao

Someone in a background convo mentioned that it was becoming trendy to live in the slums lately. It wouldn't surprise me if Shinra types were ending up in the slums and just trying to explain it away as some hip way of finding themselves or whatever

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Into chapter 5 and so far the only issue I have is that some of the music in the new sections just doesn’t quite work for me. Maybe it’s just that it doesn’t have the nostalgia factor of everything that’s carrying over, but some of it just doesn’t really fit with everything else for me. Particularly the music when you’re following the troops taking Johnny and during the parachute scene.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sakurazuka posted:

Elemental resistance only happens if you have on it armour though

I see I placebo-ed myself to victory then.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I loved how true to the original this fight was. Down to the t-shaped walkway with airbuster sitting in a way that splits your party.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Man this game looks amazing with HDR/oled. The neon lights popping out brightly and vibrantly contrasted to the dark night time... first game since horizon zero dawn where hdr really pops out

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
There are different cutscenes throughout this. Sometimes you get a choice but I just reloaded a chapter and got a chat with Barret instead of Tifa. No idea why. There's a lot of stuff in this game.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Rabid Snake posted:

Man this game looks amazing with HDR/oled. The neon lights popping out brightly and vibrantly contrasted to the dark night time... first game since horizon zero dawn where hdr really pops out

Agreed, FF7R makes great use of it, but man, AC:Odyssey is an incredible HDR showcase.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, how long is this game? This is just the Midgar chapter, right? Though I dunno if I’m quite as far through it if I compare to where I am in the original.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just finished chapter 2 I think and it's pretty wild, I felt kinda stunned when it looked like that guard knew Cloud and called his name?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Caidin posted:

I just finished chapter 2 I think and it's pretty wild, I felt kinda stunned when it looked like that guard knew Cloud and called his name?

Grunt lyfe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, how long is this game? This is just the Midgar chapter, right? Though I dunno if I’m quite as far through it if I compare to where I am in the original.

It's about 30 hours give or take. Just the Midgar chapter but yes.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Everyone on this trained is dressed like an actually person and then Avalanche walks into the car...

EDIT: I like this speechifying promo cutting Barret.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 11, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ImpAtom posted:

It's about 30 hours give or take. Just the Midgar chapter but yes.

Woah. 5 years for 30 hours? Well, I guess it’s been a pretty good 30 hours so far...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Woah. 5 years for 30 hours? Well, I guess it’s been a pretty good 30 hours so far...

The game had to be restarted at some point and Nomura wasn't even fully working on it until KH3 was finished.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

As far as I'm aware there were some false starts and a lot of time spent in preproduction during those 5 years, though I don't clearly remember the news stories about its development along the way. I know it had a major shake-up in 2017 when they switched to developing it entirely internally, for example.

I'm curious how long it'll take each new game to come out but my guess is probably 2 or so years per, sort of like the FFXIII sequels.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Right, yeah, forgot about that. I’ve been avoiding any and all news/details about it since it was first announced, so I know almost nothing except for the fact that it had to be redone. Fair enough, I guess. Hopefully we get the rest of the chapters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Right, yeah, forgot about that. I’ve been avoiding any and all news/details about it since it was first announced, so I know almost nothing except for the fact that it had to be redone. Fair enough, I guess. Hopefully we get the rest of the chapters.

We're pretty much assured to get the second part if nothing else.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like the only way they'd just never release the next episodes is if this game somehow sells ridiculously poorly, which would be very surprising. Square doesn't really have a history of abandoning projects once they're underway, even when any other studio would cut their losses. That's especially true with Final Fantasy games, like FFXIV.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I went to finally start up again, go to load my save .... nothing there!!!

Turned out I accidentally logged into someone else's account when I turned my PS4 back on whoops

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harrow posted:

As far as I'm aware there were some false starts and a lot of time spent in preproduction during those 5 years, though I don't clearly remember the news stories about its development along the way. I know it had a major shake-up in 2017 when they switched to developing it entirely internally, for example.

I'm curious how long it'll take each new game to come out but my guess is probably 2 or so years per, sort of like the FFXIII sequels.

To be clear. Initially, Square was developing the game in conjunction with Cyberconnect 2, who had done the Dot Hack episodic games. Then, big silence, then suddenly Cyberconnect 2 was scrubbed entirely from the project. There was an article at the time of someone saying "Yeah the CC2 stuff was so terrible that Square was offended" But then that article, and the person who made the comments, got scrubbed from the internet like someone flat erased them.

Then, and don't forget, Nomura was directing Kingdom Hearts 3 at the same time. Remember, the moment KH3 came out, FF7 suddenly got a tonne of information around it. Which is why I've always said "Oh these games can come out in 1/2 years, but... Nomura has to not work on anything else.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Clouds new apartment looks like a slightly modified bathroom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

Sounds about right for lovely apartments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Caidin posted:

He has two toilet stalls, fancy.