Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
https://hackmd.io/@ZeWaka/opensource

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

monolithburger posted:

"It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers" is probably the most SS13 sentence ever written.

Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Fuel Rocket Propellants is a great read in general, and his commentaries on ClF₃ and on the mercury-fuelled motor are probably peak SS13 in that book.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

~Build Your Own Net Dream~

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Pacra posted:

This is definitely your current graphic driver, especially if it is NVIDIA. update to the latest supported graphic driver.

It is nvidia, I will look into it tomorrow.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How much of this is silly prank stuff

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Shortest Path posted:

How much of this is silly prank stuff

It's real code. The actual April Fools joke was making Clown a whitelisted job.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I'm just glad the secret stuff is still secret. I really do enjoy that there are mysteries hidden away from me, as an on-again-off-again player.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Imho a larger issue is undocumented changes to non secret game mechanics.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Hell yeah this rules

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Motherfucker watching the admin team shred itself apart and be less available in game

My time has come...

Aw my dude it was always my time. Real talk though this shits whack, gently caress a nazi.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This is exactly what the game needed and I'm convinced everything's gonna be cool now.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Motherfucker posted:

Aw my dude it was always my time. Real talk though this shits whack, gently caress a nazi.

Heh. How've you been? I feel silly about playing whack-a-mole with your alt accounts so vigorously.

Unrelated, here's how that Bonktek logo is coming along. I'll slowly be putting the individual logos and the overall conglomerate shape into some various stuff soon.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 4, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Heh. How've you been? I feel silly about playing whack-a-mole with your alt accounts so vigorously.

Unrelated, here's how that Bonktek logo is coming along. I'll slowly be putting the individual logos and the overall conglomerate shape into some various stuff soon.

goddamn Syndicates :argh:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The notes system is bullshit.

I mean 'byond' the fact that one or two of them are probably character assessments written by fuckin' nazis there's never any good notes in a players notes and its never mentioned just how much time passed between each note. Like, the dates might be visible but they're plain text and not as evocative as a big long list. So what you get is a thing where you get one note, that paints the judgement on your next note, to the next note. Plus, the admins already decided what they're gonna do when they contact you so the 'conversation' part of a note is largely irrelevant. In fact, if you have any evocative arguments all that means is they have to do a snippy takedown of them IN the note meaning you get an even longer note and of course to the lizard brain when they see a paragraph of red text they assume 'bad', combine that with the ever hilarious and vague 'argumentative' takedown, like having an argument for your actions is somehow bad.

Half my loving notes are poo poo like 'Was punching a guy, when contacted told me to "stop being a loving smug rear end in a top hat" and "talk like a normal person" now if this was goons checking over a reddit post the question would probably come up 'Was the guy being a smug rear end in a top hat?' but since nobody but the admin in question is accountable for the contents of notes and he gets to paint himself however he likes those sorts of inconvenient questions never get answered.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

The "Things I Won't Work With" series of chemistry articles are pretty great, if you like knowing about horrible chemicals that will definitely kill you but are fortunately only found in lab environments.

never knew these existed and they are a delight, loling at 1940s scientists suiting up like medieval knights to find out what the hell chlorine azide is

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I understand some of the wilder stories may be apocryphal, but they're fun reads none the less.

Yinlock posted:

never knew these existed and they are a delight, loling at 1940s scientists suiting up like medieval knights to find out what the hell chlorine azide is

The answer turns out to be, 'unstable'. Gotta love anything with a '4' somewhere on the safety diamond.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just had a dream about SS13, even though I only played the silly game once, over a year ago. I imagined I was playing some other game first, boring quick-time-event style, set inside a space station, and it sucked so I purposefully missed an event and tried to reverse my direction and walked backwards up the hall I had just finished, glitching my way off the beaten path. Now free to walk anywhere, I just started pilfering through unattended bags and embraced the chaos and enjoyed being inside SS13 instead a lot better.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 12, 2020

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Well, the wonderful new admin team has completely removed rear end Day, I woke up today to loving play and it was just normal rules and they're play testing their new code instead. I waited all month for this and woke up to this dumb bullshit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

see the issue is, while you're doing that, a ton of people are waking up and going "oh gently caress, it's rear end day, I don't want to play today" and server pop drops by a solid 20%

also the admin team now is almost entirely people who introduced rear end day in the first place but go off i guess

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The removal of rear end day is needed to ensure proper social distancing is observed.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if theres no rear end day, just become an rear end terrorist.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

lovely Bill died for this.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Dabir posted:

see the issue is, while you're doing that, a ton of people are waking up and going "oh gently caress, it's rear end day, I don't want to play today" and server pop drops by a solid 20%

also the admin team now is almost entirely people who introduced rear end day in the first place but go off i guess

Lmao, so a couple of casuals dont like rear end day? Guess that means we should get rid of the whole thing. Nevermind the 80% that liked it just fine

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
What the gently caress are you morons talking about its rear end day they just changed the name

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Cage Kicker posted:

Lmao, so a couple of casuals dont like rear end day? Guess that means we should get rid of the whole thing. Nevermind the 80% that liked it just fine

:hmmyes:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Cage Kicker posted:

my dude, i'm one of the two admins who came up with the idea and pushed for its creation, and i was absolutely behind getting rid of it because a lot of players really hated it. i'm not going to bother looking up hard numbers because screw you, but it was definitely 'a lot' which is much more than 'a couple'

in short, lol look how wrong you are

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

you're the only one coming out and defending it so, get outvoted you whiny nerd

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

rear end Daye was fun :(

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh wow that's really unfortunate, I was actually planning to reinstall byond last month for rear end day, but I missed it so I just said I'd reinstall it for rear end day this month. I hope it's not just never going to happen again because that was always one of the most fun times to come back to the game.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I was going to do my monthly rear end day check in :smith:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Frequent gimmicks and silly antag poo poo and maps is way better than ttvs and fuel tank bombs and random murder. It's much improved.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I loved rear end Day but can totally understand it wearing out its welcome. Is there a chance of it returning as a less-frequent occurrence? Maybe as a holiday event for Halloween or somethin' similar.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Having people log in only once a month to be dicks to others sounds lovely for the regulars.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I liked using rear end Day for figuring out stuff that would normally be off-limits unless you happened to roll antag in a round. A good amount of them were spent taking the time to learn pathology without worrying about getting yelled at (more than usual anyway :v:) about releasing a pathogen on the station accidentally.

Than again, with the source being mostly open-source now it should be feasible to figure out mechanics by spinning up a local copy and testing out ideas there.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Canbombs and admin gimmicks aren't mutually exclusive though. They happened constantly on old rear end day, but the completely unchained player driven chaos was what made it so special for me. I get the reasoning behind getting rid of it from the perspective of the admins and the people who disliked it, but I still disagree with it and am personally disappointed by the change.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Captainsalami posted:

Having people log in only once a month to be dicks to others sounds lovely for the regulars.

I actually just like to spectate and watch the madness

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Quicksilver6 posted:

I actually just like to spectate and watch the madness

This was usually what I did too honestly, I would set off one or two nukes when i could get a syndicate analyzer and get in a couple fights just to say I did something, but I just liked wandering the apocalyptic hellscape mostly.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I ain’t got a dog on this race, but on the vein of understanding statistics: 20% drop in people,logging in doesn’t mean 80% like it. It means 80% continue to log in, but that 80% group is gonna be made of people that love it, people that like it, people who don’t care, people that dislike it but log in anyway because they don’t want to stop playing, and people who only log in on rear end Day.

When a fifth of the regular player base hates it enough to literally stop playing on rear end Day, that’s actually a really significant number from a design perspective. (More than a fifth, really, if you don’t count the folks who literally only play on rear end Day as regulars.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I didnt mind rear end Jam at all. The random trinket means alot of weird items you wouldnt normally see show up. The mutation thing made the round starts interesting too cause its like the station starts in a state of emergency