Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Schwarzwald posted:

drat! That dude fucks!

Not according to the novelization ho ho hooooo!

(he totally fucks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This bullshit about clones is just all anti-"Sheev fucks" propaganda (he fucks)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Guy A. Person posted:

This bullshit about clones is just all anti-"Sheev fucks" propaganda (he fucks)

Unironically true. If he didn't gently caress then the movie wouldn't have talked about the "Son of Palpatine" or called Rey his Granddaughter. Plus if J.J had actually wanted Rey to basically be Sheevs half-clone instead of granddaughter why would he add this weird superfluous generation of Clone Dads? It reeks of the novelization (much like the last two) trying to ex-post-facto make the fans "wrong" for making fun of their bad movie. In this case they don't like people making humorous observations about pale wrinkly old uncle Sheev getting busy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I hadn't watched The Phantom Menace since I became a dad, but today I watched it with my five-year-old (because coronavirus lockdown), and HOLY poo poo did it draw a reaction from him that I'd never anticipated.

Specifically, the scene where Anakin has to leave his mother behind, still a slave, when he goes off with the Jedi. Because it was a fairly talky scene he asked me what was happening, so I summarised it for him.

He went so quiet, then grabbed on to me for a couple of minutes until Darth Maul started swinging a lightsaber around and he didn't have to think about the implications of what had just happened any more.

Charitable take: George Lucas tapped into a universal fear of every child that is forgotten by adults - being taken away from their mother.
Cynical and sarcastic take: George Lucas writes at the emotional level of a five-year-old.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Payndz posted:

I hadn't watched The Phantom Menace since I became a dad, but today I watched it with my five-year-old (because coronavirus lockdown), and HOLY poo poo did it draw a reaction from him that I'd never anticipated.

Specifically, the scene where Anakin has to leave his mother behind, still a slave, when he goes off with the Jedi. Because it was a fairly talky scene he asked me what was happening, so I summarised it for him.

He went so quiet, then grabbed on to me for a couple of minutes until Darth Maul started swinging a lightsaber around and he didn't have to think about the implications of what had just happened any more.

Charitable take: George Lucas tapped into a universal fear of every child that is forgotten by adults - being taken away from their mother.
Cynical and sarcastic take: George Lucas writes at the emotional level of a five-year-old.

It's the first one. Anakin was 12 in early script drafts and Lucas lowered the age to highlight the trauma of losing his mom.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As an 8 year old when it came out that scene was deeply sad.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I think you've crossed a line from 'cynical' to 'outright sociopathic' if you think 'only small children can empathize with a child being taken from their family'.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

CelticPredator posted:

Anakin's relationship with Shmi is one of the saddest things Lucas has ever managed to do in his films. the combination of him having to chose to leave her in Phantom Menace and then him returning and failing to save her from the Tusken Raiders in Attack of the Clones is a one-two punch to the gut, and almost makes you remember what he was aiming for with Anakin's journey to Vader but he just couldn't nail it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I think Lucas's bigger blunder was making Anakin's mom a pirate played by Bob Hoskins.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Anakin just keeps jumping from one form of slavery into another.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

As a 29 year old when it came out, that scene made me sad and angry and my attitude toward the Jedi was "You know what, you empathy-lacking motherfuckers deserve what's coming to you from Palpatine and Vader for poo poo like this."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Everyone posted:

As a 29 year old when it came out, that scene made me sad and angry and my attitude toward the Jedi was "You know what, you empathy-lacking motherfuckers deserve what's coming to you from Palpatine and Vader for poo poo like this."
Wow, the mask's off, turns out all the GerreraGuys were just Palpatine supporters all along. If you really cared about the Outer Rim you'd join the Jedi and try to Force push them to the left.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Halloween Jack posted:

Wow, the mask's off, turns out all the GerreraGuys were just Palpatine supporters all along. If you really cared about the Outer Rim you'd join the Jedi and try to Force push them to the left.

No, if you really care about the Outer Rim and the galaxy as a whole, you support each side in such a way that they weaken and destroy each other. They're both bad. The Jedi enforce and maintain a dysfunctional status quo in the name of peace and order. Palpatine overthrows that status quo to establish a cartoonishly evil tyranny. The Jedi, with their powers and numbers are effectively immune to a conventional revolution. While Palpatine and Vader are extremely powerful individuals, they're individuals, so their Empire is not immune to a conventional rebellion, as witness the end of Return of the Jedi. As dramatic and meaningful as the final conflict with Luke, Palpatine and Vader is, it's ultimately irrelevant to the outcome. Whether Luke dies, kills Vader and joins Palpatine or the events play out as they did in the film, Landa and the Falcon still blow Death Star II to hell and gone, killing everyone still on it at that time.

Also, despite his declarations, Luke wins and defeats Palpatine because he's not a Jedi. He wins because he's able to use his emotions instead of suppressing them like a "real" Jedi would. He reaches Anakin through his love for him, a love that awakens Anakin's own love for his and allows him to turn against Palpatine and (temporarily) destroy him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Everyone posted:

No, if you really care about the Outer Rim and the galaxy as a whole, you support each side in such a way that they weaken and destroy each other. They're both bad. The Jedi enforce and maintain a dysfunctional status quo in the name of peace and order. Palpatine overthrows that status quo to establish a cartoonishly evil tyranny.
If you and your Partisan friends had supported the Alliance to Restore the Republic from the beginning, we wouldn't be in this mess. Mon Mothma tried to warn you, and you decided to throw the Battle of Scarif away. For what? An inadequate Onderonian male who wouldn't even be leading a resistance had it not been an Alderaanian woman that was leading the Senate.

I don't like slavery in the Outer Rim any more than you do, but would those slaves be better off if the Death Star blew up Tattooine? This is what happens when you don't support the Senate. You "rebels" are in an incredibly privileged position where you can just ignore what will happen to the Twi'leks and Rodians if Palpatine dissolves the Senate and gives regional governors direct control of the territories.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

Yeah he goes from being the property of someone who can kill him in an instant via technology in his body to...lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Halloween Jack posted:

:golfclap:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Jedi Unity My rear end

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

As an offering to Guerrera supporters, Master Yoda has decreed to at some point lower the required age to achieve Jedi Master status from 600 to 550

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
You can get on the fast track if you’re willing to sell out. Obi-Wan's teacher was a radical who didn’t get promoted until seniority rules required it, when he was way past his prime. But after Qui-Gon died, Obi-Wan sucked up to the elders in the Jedi orthodoxy, and he wound up on the council before age 40.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Trickle-down Revanomics

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Harris of the Khive announced that, as Chancellor, she'll establish a padawan loan debt forgiveness program for Pellaeon Grant recipients who start a business that operates for three years in the Outer Rim.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Harris of the Khive announced that, as Chancellor, she'll establish a padawan loan debt forgiveness program for Pellaeon Grant recipients who start a business that operates for three years in the Outer Rim.

Nice

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Why was R2-D2 willing to leave Anakin behind on Mustafar after Obi-Wan returned to the shop without him? Anakin repeatedly put his life on the line to save R2.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

Why was R2-D2 willing to leave Anakin behind on Mustafar after Obi-Wan returned to the shop without him? Anakin repeatedly put his life on the line to save R2.

Well, Anakin was Darth Vader at that point, so...

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Payndz posted:

I did the same thing when I was a child but for Batman Returns

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

George H.W. oval office posted:

I did the same thing when I was a child but for Batman Returns

For me it was Batman and Robin. "You loving bastards! What did you do to Barman. The Batsuit nipples! gently caress you! I can't unsee the batsuit nipples!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Halloween Jack posted:

If you really cared about the Outer Rim you'd join the Jedi and try to Force push them to the left.
Like it matters which rear end in a top hat sits on some throne 12000 parsecs away from me.

It's either Emperor Slugface takes some sand people from Backwateron and makes them incompetent child soldiers or the Rebs bring a bunch of chairforce jockeys and spice traders in under the guise of "community management" and gently caress up my sector because Mons Mothmom can't lead her way out of a paper bag.

I'm busting my rear end and I get poo poo either way. And YOU KNOW they're all making a mint off of the damned weapons sales!!!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Everyone posted:

Also, despite his declarations, Luke wins and defeats Palpatine because he's not a Jedi. He wins because he's able to use his emotions instead of suppressing them like a "real" Jedi would. He reaches Anakin through his love for him, a love that awakens Anakin's own love for his and allows him to turn against Palpatine and (temporarily) destroy him.

This isn't what happens. luke's love for his sister and his friends has him turning to the dark side as he attacks vader and when he has him helpless he stops, affirms himself as a jedi and puts his faith in vader that he's a jedi too. this is in contrast to mace when he had the emperor helpless throwing away the jedi code which caused anakin to lose faith in the jedi then we see again when luke tries to save vader out of love that he's rebuked and told to let go.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

General Dog posted:

marriage, am I right fellas?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Lightsaber Blue No Matter Who

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

well why not posted:

Can confirm, but at least your bunkmate is cute

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

well why not posted:

Yeah, but if it wasn't for marriage in this quarantine I'd be loving my own rear end, sob:smith:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Well, Anakin was Darth Vader at that point, so...

Didn't stop R2 from flying along with "Vader" to Mustafar, aiding in the assassination of the Separatist Council.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maybe at that point, R2 thought it was just a phase.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
R2 has spent years fighting the Separatists at that point.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
R2 is still ultimately a slave and cannot disobey his master’s master.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Didn't R2 see him choke out Padme?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Artoo just knows the greatest high in the galaxy is rawdog blasting through hyperspace and flying in fighter ships is just a means to that end

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
R2 is the galaxy’s biggest badass.

He’s a fuckin’ OG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

R2 might just loving hate padme