Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
:supaburn: :siren: It's happening :siren: :supaburn:

I don't know why this preamble would ever be necessary, save for form, so: The country has been shut down for a month. A pandemic has swept much of the world, and our approach to fighting it has yielded a protracted and lonely Shelter-at-Home Defense. SNL, being officially A Part of the Country, has also been dark for a month. Shows that were scheduled for March 28, April 4, and April 11 were canceled. John Krasinski and Dua Lipa joined the exclusive club of Guests Whose Scheduled Episodes Never Aired (alumni include Franken and Davis, Gilda Radner, and Amy Winehouse.) The lights on Broadway were turned off, television and film productions shuttered. On March 12, talk shows initially announced doing shows without audiences before quickly realizing the full gravity of the situation, and going dark indefinitely after their tapings that night (Seth Meyers actually canceled his taping and did his Closer Look segment from home for YouTube.) Initially, some of these shows were going on break anyway the weeks of March 16 or 23, and the 30th was tentatively penciled in as a return date.

Then, on March 16, Colbert shot an extemporaneous video from his bathtub.

The next day, Conan and Jimmys Fallon and Kimmel shot similarly-impromptu videos from their homes.

On the 18th, NBC began their reruns of Fallon with whatever he had shot for YouTube that day.

This went on for the next week and a half, with the production values gradually improving, and the hosts coming to grips with doing shows in a void, like the kids have been doing on YT for years. Over-the-Air, NBC turned Fallon's shows first into a hybrid of new and old ("Best-of") the next week, and on March 30, all the major players - Colbert, Kimmel, Fallon, Seth, and Conan - began doing full (or nearly-full) new episodes for broadcast, from their homes, having ramped up to proper lighting and cameras (except Fallon, who is still flogging the homemade pastiche.) The writers, editors, and graphics departments all working remotely, interviews being done via Skype, FaceTime, Zoom... pretty sure Martha Stewart has her own dedicated satellite uplink. Everyone was back, albeit in this new, weird, and rather jagged-edged form.

Except SNL.

pwn posted:

Obviously, tonight’s originally-scheduled regular show with John Krasinski and Dua Lipa has been canceled, as have the next two live shows of April 4 and 11. It remains to be seen if the May episodes will happen.

With Colbert, Fallon, Kimmel, and Conan going full-duty and doing shows from home next week, after two weeks of doing partial shows at home, and Seth Meyers doing partial shows from home, I feel like SNL is missing a golden opportunity to do their own lo-fi home shows. I get that the production values of a sketch comedy show wildly outstrip those of a talk show, but who gives a poo poo? This is a rare, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be raw and rough.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

it’s still run by lorne tho

not saying it isn’t a great idea, it is; but again lorne

But then this past Thursday afternoon --

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1248322115293642752?s=20

They did it. They loving did it.

With only about 56 hours before air, a new episode was announced. So little is actually known: There will be Weekend Update, the show will be pre-recorded, and the running time is 93:30, including terminal break, which is the usual length of reruns (live shows are 92:30.) It will not air in real-time across all time zones like live shows have been for the last two seasons, so you poor fucks in Mountain and Pacific will have to wait It will air coast-to-coast simultaneously, like all new episodes have these past two years. The show is still being made, and will not be delivered until later tonight. In case of fire, NBC has the previously-scheduled repeat of John Mulaney with David Byrne queued up for contingency. And there was a promo hastily added to programming Thursday night, and it tells you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA2jN9Owx9Y

... not much.

I don't want to wax too heavily, but I'll say that I am more excited for this than any other time in the last 28 years of watching this dumb show (SNL40 comes exceptionally close, though.) Having tuned in in 1992, the same year that NBC suits began populating the halls at 8H, giving their little notes and execs sticking their noses in the creative department, I've only ever known the high-gloss version of SNL. I could only read about (and later watch) the first years from this perspective. This seems like the first time in decades that the show has a chance to be fun and experimental, to play with a well-worn format and turn it on its head. I'll leave it there, lest I embarrass myself further.

Even if it sucks, it's going to be great to see some familiar faces and have a brief respite in this, an extremely dark and dreary time in our country's history. Enjoy the show and stay safe.

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh yeah, and

In honour of the passing of SNL music producer Hal Willner, and the release of Trolls 2, tonight's Vintage is Justin Timberlake from 2006.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

pwn posted:

--

Even if it sucks, it's going to be great to see some familiar faces and have a brief respite in this, an extremely dark and dreary time in our country's history. Enjoy the show and stay safe.

Unlike other times in SNL history where the talent was questionable, I think this cast suffers from boring and poor writing. This cast is and can be hilarious but they aren't given a lot of great material.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't know, I think while the women are great this might be the weakest cast for the men in forever. Moffet and Day are completely interchangeable, Mooney, Bennet and Redd are talented but never leave their comfort zones, Yost and Che are poster children for the toxic bro humor SNL tried to get rid of in the early '10s when Killam and Pharoah were fired and Yang might need time to grow but so far he's just been "gay asian".

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
removing audience reaction is going to be the best and worst thing that has ever happened to this cast/writers room and it is going to be a trip to see how it plays out. the usual beats being removed could also make for a more efficient show, or they’ll leave them in and poo poo will get majorly awkward. (fantasy option: the audience is lorne. only lorne. one camera stays on him for reactions to every joke)

i’ll also be interested in ratings since lately all anyone is watching is the voice and masked singer if they aren’t mainlining cable news. either way thanks for quoting me in the op and obligating this post lol

pwn
May 27, 2004

How to watch it live, if somehow you don’t already know. Also according to this, the show WILL be seen at the same time coast-to-coast?

And Michael Che made a statement today

Edit: Confirmed via NBC that the show will air coast-to-coast simultaneously: 11:29e/10:29c/9:29m/8:29p. This was just announced in the last hour; previously NBC explicitly stated that it would not be aired across all time zones simultaneously.

vvvv :shobon:

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 12, 2020

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

pwn posted:

Jimmys Fallon and Kimmel
i like this phrased

My expectations are about as low as possible, but I'm still glad they will try.

pwn
May 27, 2004

We have graphics :wth:

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1249001847026855937?s=20

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1249114833796153344?s=20

And Colin shaves his beard

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1249124581547393024?s=20

pwn
May 27, 2004

After looking over the timings: Including the goodnights, there are the usual 10 segments, and there are no mid-break teases.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Alright this is gonna be a mess

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Loving this already. New intros! Band!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

EL BROMANCE posted:

Loving this already. New intros! Band!

:hai:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
WHAT!?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh it's not live

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Why is Tom Hanks on a green screen?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, it's been a while since I've watched live TV. Are all commercials like this now? You're probably not seeing the same ones, but I'm guessing all commercials are like this and you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mr. Powers posted:

So, it's been a while since I've watched live TV. Are all commercials like this now? You're probably not seeing the same ones, but I'm guessing all commercials are like this and you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Capitalizing on the plague? Yeah, they're all convincing us how much they care as the throw as many lives as they can into the shredder to make a little more profit...

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Mr. Powers posted:

Yes. They all want you to know their corporation cares.

I wonder which ex Pete misses?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah with no sport, I’ve not seen a commercial in a month or so.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh, okay, so this is just an hour and a half of each cast member doing their own little skit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Really leaning into how strange this is.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Yes. They all want you to know their corporation cares.

I wonder which ex Pete misses?

Well, I assume he still lives with his mom, so I'm thinking right now the answer is "any".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It's like if big budget TV people just made lovely youtube videos. :suspense:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Kate McKinnon has a tuxedo cat. I knew she was good people.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Top tip: remove all the furniture and carpet from your room so you can really lean into that echo everyone loves.

Also, Mikey Day you running an iBook G3 or something? Why aren’t you in widescreen?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is this a sequel to the skit with Idris Elba as a PowerPoint instructor?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Top tip: remove all the furniture and carpet from your room so you can really lean into that echo everyone loves.

Also, Mikey Day you running an iBook G3 or something? Why aren’t you in widescreen?

I'm guessing portrait video cropped. 4:3 is better than 9:16

E: giving credit to Arby's for having just a plain old advertisement

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
this is p good so far imo

"drake song" was hilariously perfect

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Carole Baskin was perfect.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Did Fineman manage to do the makeup and wardrobe for that Carole Baskin herself? Because it was perfect.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

IIRC that skit was basically the sort of videos she used to make before SNL

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Doctor Candiru posted:

Did Fineman manage to do the makeup and wardrobe for that Carole Baskin herself? Because it was perfect.

idk who else could have done it lol

e: ugh chris martin

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Doctor Candiru posted:

From what little I've seen it JoJo, she also got that one perfectly.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:allears:

pwn
May 27, 2004

I love that they put Entrance to Trains on his wall :unsmith:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That Entrance to Trains sign is so perfect

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This is a lesson on how to make eight camera angles from just two camera: wide/tight crops, and left/right flip.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah if you go to Chloe Fineman's Instagram it's just hundreds of these videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol: they needed an audience of friends...