Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the lack of variety in the molded was absolutely soul crushing. RE7 didn't need to be an action game but it did need SOME enemy variety, and the two variants of molded didn't count for me. i think it's why a certain section of the game fell so flat for so many people, it just became a combat section with a new gun where you have to shoot the same stupid things you've been shooting for the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Molded suck but the Bakers rule big time, especially Jack.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

RE7 was fun but not even in my top 5 Res. A big part of that is the enemy variety *sucks*.

RE1 had more diverse and interesting foes.

The molded are cool and I appreciate how reactivate they are in a second play through. The incredible tension of missing a pistol headshot or hitting one at close range and seeing it didn't explode and now its going to reactively lunge for you is an important part of the game. They dodge and weave and have weird attacks that also react to your attacks and are perfectly designed to frustrate your best laid plans, you can take off arms and legs to slow or stun them and the sounds and visual impact of taking off their head with a shotgun blast is one of the best in the series, up their with 4's your head a splode.

They also physically show the damage they've taken and the health they have remaining although its a subtle effect and in the darkness of a lot of where you can encounter them can be lost.

The lack of variety didn't bother me that much, was also just a big fan of the bosses in general except Marguerite who has some lacking reactions and tends to like to bulldoze over you instead of flinching.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 10, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The Molded suck but the Bakers rule big time, especially Jack.
That they do, but considering how many Molded they throw at you, especially in the late game, that lack of variety really hurts the game more than I think they expected, especially once you're done with Jack and Marguerite and the cool stalker-type enemies are kind of used up.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sheen Sheen posted:

I mean, sure, I’d be okay with them continuing to make crappy RE games for the people who actually go for that sort of thing, as long as they keep making good RE games for the rest of us :v:

revelations 3 is gonna have becky chambers drop kicking zombies off skyscrapers into lava.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Vikar Jerome posted:

revelations 3 is gonna have becky chambers drop kicking zombies off skyscrapers into lava.
Wasn't there a report that they cut out the planned Rebecca content?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The mines especially was also just way more fun than I remembered it being, playing through the traditional mid campaign character swap and inventory clear and slowly rebuilding an arsenal that let you deal with them and then adding that arsenal to the original characters? Now you're an army and you start effortlessly clearing out dozens of enemies that used to be a source of stress, was a very cathartic experience.

The soundtrack for that section helped a lot too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_mur51oU4Q

Never liked automatic weapons in re games much but the smg in 7 is good with a controllable recoil and manageable firerate and was worth using at midrange.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah getting all of Mia's items was a big "Hell yeah" moment.

The molded aren't bad enemies at all. They were definitely lacking in variety for sure but they weren't poorly-designed or lacking in detail at all. And it was very satisfying to blast through a swarm of the fuckers when at the beginning of the game just one molded felt like a big threat and two at once almost felt unfair.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh the amount of time you're dealing with the stalker type variants of jack and marguerite was much smaller than i remembered in my second run too, marge is real easy to avoid and she's only around for a minute or two really, patrolling only 3 rooms. I remember her being a nightmare in my first run but I bet I was just conflating it with her bossfight. I was trying real hard to solid snake past jack after the intro and failed however.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm bout to come at you guys with the hottest take ever: A Resident Evil game should have zombies in it. Zombies that make sounds like "ahhghgggghhh" and "blrrrurggh" and try to bite you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm bout to come at you guys with the hottest take ever: A Resident Evil game should have zombies in it. Zombies that make sounds like "ahhghgggghhh" and "blrrrurggh" and try to bite you.

Molded go argh and blurgh and have huge teeth they use to bite you to death.

Like ridiculously big teeth that also have a super cool animation if one bites your arm and doesnt let go cause they wiggle around as they chomp. They're also slow and kiteable to avoid if you want similar to re1, although the game throws enough ammo your way on normal its not necessary to run from any fight if you don't waste to much ammo. The big difference is just they have a wider variety of attacks compared to most re enemies, including some that are ranged.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 10, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'll be the first to admit that one reason I liked RE2make better than RE7 is simply because I think abandoned cities and flesh-eating zombies are just spookier than big wobbly mold men, immortal swamp people nonwithstanding.

In fact, I would even go so far that as to say that zombies should make brain-dead sounding moans, instead of snarling like wild animals.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

molded and ooze and ganados are all just zombies with extra steps

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I'll be the first to admit that one reason I liked RE2make better than RE7 is simply because I think abandoned cities and flesh-eating zombies are just spookier than big wobbly mold men, immortal swamp people nonwithstanding.

In fact, I would even go so far that as to say that zombies should make brain-dead sounding moans, instead of snarling like wild animals.

Aquí está.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ganados aren't zombies. Not budging on that. :colbert:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The enemy I really grew to hate was 6's version of the plagas that you fight in every campaign but leons. Now if you want variety they have it but it just kind of cemented my view that variety alone doesn't make the combat good. I like the one mutation that turns them into stag beetles that chomp you with their entire torso though, if I had to become a zombie mutant monster thats the one I'd want to be.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rabidsquid posted:

i liked RE7 more than you did and i think this largely comes down to personal taste in general HOWEVA i will say that people praised RE7 as a "return to form" and "spiritually just like the first game" because they were very desperate to praise it for not being anything like 5/6

if this had been RE5 and those two games never existed i genuinely believe the game would be largely hated by the community

I think it was more considered a return to form since, at least the first time you play it, resources feel relatively scarce (at least for me since I suck) and the emphasis is on feeling trapped in a creepy atmosphere and finding the right tools to get out instead of being so much an action game. A lot of times, you really felt that sense of desperation and hoping to find something to help you out of a tough spot. That's my memory of it anyway. I enjoy the tension that the best games in the series create and RE7 felt plenty tense to me.

I really loved it and dug how they changed up the formula too, although it could have used some more enemy variation. I started a replay of it a few months back and was digging it all over it again but got sidetracked. When I'm done loving around with RE3, I'll probably get back to it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 10, 2020

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Whats up my fellow RE5 loving buddy. I had some real fun times with that game. Especially the 2nd half where the game just really takes off for me and ramps up the crazy stuff.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sharkopath posted:

Molded go argh and blurgh and have huge teeth they use to bite you to death.

Like ridiculously big teeth that also have a super cool animation if one bites your arm and doesnt let go cause they wiggle around as they chomp. They're also slow and kiteable to avoid if you want similar to re1, although the game throws enough ammo your way on normal its not necessary to run from any fight if you don't waste to much ammo. The big difference is just they have a wider variety of attacks compared to most re enemies, including some that are ranged.

The molded would have been great if there was build up to a section where one just followed your rear end around like the Bakers, but it was the only one. When you first run into the molded they'd pretty shocking but then you keep running into them so they aren't interesting anymore and get super boring to deal with.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Needed another action game after Re3r. Dino Crisis 2 is that balm.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
For real I don't think there is a bad re besides the gun survivor games and re6.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

i must compose posted:

For real I don't think there is a bad re besides the gun survivor games and re6.

Gaiden is pretty bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the mp games were also bad. orc, and such.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like the Cavia made RE Dead Aim. The main characters are like off brand Leon and Ada and they are so dopey I love 'em.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Now that RE2 and FF7 finally got a remake, Dino Crisis sits with Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve as the games I most want to see a modern remake of. I'm absolutely down for RE8 no matter what direction they decide to go with it, but a new Dino Crisis would definitely get me more hyped right now and the current team at Capcom seems like they would knock it out of the park.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

i must compose posted:

RE6 Mercenaries is pretty drat good

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cardiovorax posted:

Ganados aren't zombies. Not budging on that. :colbert:

"Not a zombie" is literally the first thing you learn about the Ganado.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Oh poo poo forgot orc

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the mp games were also bad. orc, and such.

I actually really liked ORC. The Versus for it was terrible, but the coop and single player were pretty fun.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Now that RE2 and FF7 finally got a remake, Dino Crisis sits with Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve as the games I most want to see a modern remake of. I'm absolutely down for RE8 no matter what direction they decide to go with it, but a new Dino Crisis would definitely get me more hyped right now and the current team at Capcom seems like they would knock it out of the park.

I just get worried, because for all the complaints about RE3's length. Dino Crisis is the game that I know for sure is in competition for being extremely short. Also, I completely forgot that Dino Crisis had 3D backgrounds, because I think the second Dino Crisis has pre-rendered ones.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 11, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

blackguy32 posted:

I actually really liked ORC. The Versus for it was terrible, but the coop and single player were pretty fun.

I just get worried, because for all the complaints about RE3's length. Dino Crisis is the game that I know for sure is in competition for being extremely short. Also, I completely forgot that Dino Crisis had 3D backgrounds, because I think the second Dino Crisis has pre-rendered ones.

If they wanted to do asymmetrical multiplayer they should just do Dino Crisis with a bonus mode where someone plays individual dinosaurs within the campaign like Perfect Dark's counter-operative mode. I would replay the poo poo out of that. Or hell just make Mercenaries mode with dinosaurs.

I don't mind RE games being short at all as long as there are interesting bonus modes to mess around with. Mercenaries is such a good formula that it's crazy they didn't include it here, and even weird stuff like RE0's leech hunting mode or literally "play the game again but as Wesker with superpowers this time" mode can make a short game feel much longer without even requiring much in the way of asset work.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If they wanted to do asymmetrical multiplayer they should just do Dino Crisis with a bonus mode where someone plays individual dinosaurs within the campaign like Perfect Dark's counter-operative mode. I would replay the poo poo out of that. Or hell just make Mercenaries mode with dinosaurs.

I don't mind RE games being short at all as long as there are interesting bonus modes to mess around with. Mercenaries is such a good formula that it's crazy they didn't include it here, and even weird stuff like RE0's leech hunting mode or literally "play the game again but as Wesker with superpowers this time" mode can make a short game feel much longer without even requiring much in the way of asset work.

I enjoyed running through RE3 with the unlocks. Dino Crisis would be interesting. I haven't played it in a long time though. I do want to see Code Veronica remade though. Hopefully, they make Steve less annoying.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can you still get S Ranks if you die? Is it just the save/time requirement you have to hit?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

sigher posted:

Can you still get S Ranks if you die? Is it just the save/time requirement you have to hit?

You can, but your records page will be tainted

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

It seems if you die and you load your auto save rather than selecting continue, it doesn’t record the death. My last speed run shows 0 deaths when in actuality I hosed up a couple of times.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Malcolm Excellent posted:

You can, but your records page will be tainted

Wonderful, I just want the records and achievements mopped up.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol @ people thinking re7 isnt resident evil as gently caress when it clearly is.

I admit it was a little nervous when i first started playing it. My fears were relieved after the fight with Jack in the garage :allears:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

blackguy32 posted:

A full reboot rather than merely a remake might make more sense for Dino Crisis. The basic idea is sound enough, but there's little of it that truly warrants the developers taking care to preserve it. The main thing I'd do would be to make the raptors a stand out enemy, which basically acts like a pack hunting Mr. X-hunter beta hybrid. Make it almost a puzzle sometimes in how you get around them, unless you're skilled enough with your shooting and dodging to just be able to brute force a huge pack. Other enemies can be a little bit more straightforward, though perhaps some of the dinosaurs aren't "enemies" per se as much as just territorial and ornery. Would be real neat if they could even fight each other, and if the player could instigate these fights.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

I admit it was a little nervous when i first started playing it. My fears were relieved after the fight with Jack in the garage :allears:
The tagline of the game should've 'Jack is gonna take you for a ride, hoo boy."

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I think the main reason Mercs isn't in the RE3MAKE is that there's no way to consistently run through the areas. It's several distinct areas and corridors, with cutscenes transporting you from new map to new map. There's no way to walk from the subway station to the sewers, for instance, because you teleport via a vent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was true of every room transition in the original.