Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I hate to piss on the parade but international shipping is shut down right now so if you're not in the UK you're poo poo out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I go by what I can find in the US Amazon store. if its available there, its 99.9% playable in the US region. it hasn't failed me so far.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It's supremely lame that I can't easily buy or even watch Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia in the US.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It's supremely lame that I can't easily buy or even watch Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia in the US.

Yea I've been keeping my eyes peeled for an opportunity to see that for a few years now and it's never come along.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CRAYON posted:

Only way i know is to go to blu-ray.com and change the search region to UK, search for the movie title and click the Arrow release. On the title's page there will be a tab for region coding where user's can submit playback results. Sometimes the information will be wrong and there may even be multiple conflicting submissions. Fun!

It's made me skip out on the last few Arrow sales because i just cant be bothered. Arrow, add this information to your damned site!

Bah.

CPL593H posted:

I hate to piss on the parade but international shipping is shut down right now so if you're not in the UK you're poo poo out of luck.

Bah!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Their site says it's still shipping internationally?

quote:

Q. Do you still deliver internationally?
All international orders above 2kg will ship with DHL and remain unaffected at this time. For all other international orders we use Royal Mail Tracked International, please see the following latest information from Royal Mail:

March 31 - International Services Country Suspensions

We are working every day with our airline and in country partners across the globe to maintain services. The rapidly changing nature of the impact of Coronavirus means access to countries is changing and the global picture can vary day to day.
Most major export routes remain open and Royal Mail is continuing to accept, process and transport mail out of the UK for delivery across the globe. Most Royal Mail services, including to the USA and many other countries remain operational.
A lack of available air transport to a growing number of countries as authorities restrict the movement of people across borders. In some cases, there is also a suspension of in country postal operations.
As a result we currently have service suspensions in place for 43 countries. The suspensions cover all RM services to these countries and will remain in place until further notice or until we are able to move mail into countries for onward delivery.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have the Twilight Time blu-ray if you want it.

Franchescanado posted:

Their site says it's still shipping internationally?

I guess it's just DHL then. I tried buying a record from Germany about a week back and that was a no-go.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Send me your Titus blu-ray.

(this one's a dice-roll guess)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Send me your Titus blu-ray.

(this one's a dice-roll guess)

Not even close.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Titus bluray looks like poo poo anyway. That movie is in serious need of a transfer newer than Y2K.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

CPL593H posted:

For realsies?

Are you saying this works on a region-locked blu-ray player like a ps4 in the US?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For realsies?

Are you saying this works on a region-locked blu-ray player like a ps4 in the US?

Arrow's edition is locked to region B.

Oddly enough, the majority of Twilight Time's releases have been region free regardless of the licensor. Only exceptions are Heaven and Earth, Beat the Devil, and The Birth of a Nation. First one due to it being a one-off Warner license, other two due to BFI having UK rights.

In general, anything Arrow releases in the US and UK at the same time is at least A/B. Some discs that had a delay with UK coming out first and US later are usually locked like Deep Red and Cinema Paradiso.

I can at least confirm these UK editions I imported work fine on a region A player despite being marked as Region B on the artwork:

The Apartment
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
The Cat O'Nine Tails
The Andromeda Strain
Schlock
Society
12 Monkeys
Gosford Park
Mohsen Makhmalbaf: The Poetic Trilogy

and these UK imports actually have A/B or A/B/C labels:

Forbidden Zone
The Big Combo
Secret Beyond the Door
The Dark Mirror
Force of Evil

while these UK imports are definitely locked to Region B:

Jamaica Inn (US release from Cohen)
Zardoz (US release from Twilight Time, though OOP)
Deep Red (US disc is region free, but was released two years later than the UK)
The Mystery of Picasso (US rights with Milestone, not on Blu yet)
Cinema Paradiso (US disc is region free, but was released four years after the UK edition)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 9, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I meant that I'd sell it to you for what I paid. It's never been opened.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Arbelos just sent out an email regarding Bela Tarr's Satantango...

quote:

Hello Arbelos fans,

We hope you’re all staying safe and healthy. We’re pleased to announce that after a tremendous theatrical run our new 4K restoration of Béla Tarr’s 7.5 hour masterpiece Sátántangó will be available for streaming rental starting April 17th as a week-long “virtual screening” in partnership with our friends at Film at Lincoln Center, and directly through our Arbelos website. Later in April and into May, the film will expand to other online platforms in including Kanopy, iTunes, Amazon and more.

Our Blu-ray, meanwhile, is now officially scheduled for release on November 10th, 2020. We’ll be releasing two editions: a limited collector’s edition set limited to 300 copies available exclusively through our site, and a 2-disc standard edition. A full list of bonus features and pre-order details is forthcoming. As you might have assumed, the developing COVID-19 pandemic has caused delays in our production schedule and we had originally planned to release the set sooner. That said, rest assured we’re doing everything in our power to produce a set worthy of Béla Tarr’s masterpiece. We thank you all for your continued support!

- Team Arbelos

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Any films you're love a 4k release for? I'd really like a uhd copy of hero and house of flying daggers. Especially since the current physical release of hero is awful

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ChazTurbo posted:

Any films you're love a 4k release for? I'd really like a uhd copy of hero and house of flying daggers. Especially since the current physical release of hero is awful

They already did Tammy and the T-Rex, so no.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ChazTurbo posted:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just watched Pink Floyd's The Wall that was ripped from some website, since that's still just DVD only.

And this is just me, and just because it's also not on bluray, but "Death To Smoochy". I was hoping that it was going to finally be put out on bluray after Robin Williams' death, but nope. I'd still buy it if it came out on bluray, but I'm buying 4ks of everything now if I can.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IUG posted:

I just watched Pink Floyd's The Wall that was ripped from some website, since that's still just DVD only.

And this is just me, and just because it's also not on bluray, but "Death To Smoochy". I was hoping that it was going to finally be put out on bluray after Robin Williams' death, but nope. I'd still buy it if it came out on bluray, but I'm buying 4ks of everything now if I can.

The Wall on blu-ray seems like a no-brainer but the only thing you can get is still that DVD from 15 years ago. I think it's been tied up in some kind of rights issues.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

ChazTurbo posted:

Any films you're love a 4k release for?
NOT ANYMORE NOW THAT THEY'VE CANCELLED CATS ON 4K.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

I'd say all the TOS movies IMHO

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Now that Lawrence is getting a UHD release by biggest desire would be for some VistaVision films. The Searchers and Vertigo come to mind right away.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

ChazTurbo posted:

if they put out a 4K of Playtime I will buy that movie for the fourth time and weld the disc into my UHD player

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd say all the TOS movies IMHO

The Wrath of Khan was remastered in 4K a few years ago, but most of the others are almost unspeakably ugly in terms of their cinematography (you have to actively try to make the actors look as bad as Dick Kline lit them in The Motion Picture, and the less said about The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home, the better). But Andy Laszlo shot the poo poo out of The Final Frontier, and I like Undiscovered Country well enough that I think it could stand for a 4K master.

The current Blu-rays, though, are loving awful. You can literally see the glue lines from Shatner's toupee in The Undiscovered Country because of all the excess DNR.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Now that Lawrence is getting a UHD release by biggest desire would be for some VistaVision films. The Searchers and Vertigo come to mind right away.

The Searchers could use a new restoration. Warner's 2004 one was a revelation for the time, but they couldn't use the negative because it was too faded. Now it's possible to take faded negatives and recombine with a corresponding color separation for the faded layer to get a vivid, sharp image rather than relying only on the separations. This was done for Spartacus, which is getting a UHD this summer (shot in Technirama - VistaVision + 1.5x anamorphic lens).

Paramount has new 4K restorations of The Court Jester, To Catch a Thief, and King Creole - though, the latter two are only getting Blu-ray physical releases while 4K HDR versions are digital-only. They did The Ten Commandments a while back at 4K, too. The restorations for North by Northwest, Richard III (Olivier), and Vertigo were all done in 4K.

My top list of what I'd love to see in UHD:

Around the World in 80 Days - Still only on DVD, the 1956 film is a lot of fun. However, serious elements issues and would cost a fortune to restore. Warner Bros. owns it.
Amadeus - Blu-ray is only the director's cut and an old master, would be a perfect candidate for a full 4K remaster
Baraka - Actually surprised this isn't out yet given it's been an early DVD and Blu-ray title.
Playtime - The restoration on the Criterion Tati box was done at 4K from 6.5K scans of the 65mm camera negative. Would look incredible at 4K!
How the West Was Won - The Blu-ray is from the original 3-panel Cinerama negatives and looks incredible. Can only imagine what a 4K HDR presentation with Dolby Atmos would be like (Atmos is possible since Cinerama used 7.0 sound - 5 front channels and stereo surrounds/rears controlled manually)
Ben-Hur - Again, the Blu-ray is gorgeous, but UHD would take it over the edge.
My Fair Lady - And the same. Seems like a UHD may happen soon since there's even an 8K master now (NHK paid to have 8K masters made for this and 2001)

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

ChazTurbo posted:

Lord of the Rings

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like to imagine they've held off on a Blu-ray of Freddy Got Fingered so we can all enjoy the UHD release that much more.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive's 4 for $44 sale is back on, after having to shut down early last month:
https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive

Some recent highlights:

The Bad and the Beautiful
Days of Wine and Roses
Mr. Nice Guy (has both the extended original cut plus the re-edited/dubbed New Line version)
The Set-Up
All three volumes of Popeye 1940s color cartoons
My Favorite Year
The Fearless Vampire Killers
The Witches
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Wagon Master
The Thin Man
Footlight Parade
The Thing From Another World
Cleopatra Jones
Judgment Night
The Sea Hawk
The Sea Wolf
Horror of Dracula (Hammer)

And while most DVDs are MOD, all the Blu-rays are normal pressed discs and almost always BD-50s with maxed out encodes with DTS-HD MA audio.

Also, it's not on sale, but everyone should pick up Tex Avery Screwball Classics Vol. 1 - almost 2 1/2 hours of newly restored cartoons from new 4K remasters

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner Archive's 4 for $44 sale is back on, after having to shut down early last month:
https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive

Some recent highlights:

The Bad and the Beautiful
Days of Wine and Roses
Mr. Nice Guy (has both the extended original cut plus the re-edited/dubbed New Line version)
The Set-Up
All three volumes of Popeye 1940s color cartoons
My Favorite Year
The Fearless Vampire Killers
The Witches
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Wagon Master
The Thin Man
Footlight Parade
The Thing From Another World
Cleopatra Jones
Judgment Night
The Sea Hawk
The Sea Wolf
Horror of Dracula (Hammer)

And while most DVDs are MOD, all the Blu-rays are normal pressed discs and almost always BD-50s with maxed out encodes with DTS-HD MA audio.

Also, it's not on sale, but everyone should pick up Tex Avery Screwball Classics Vol. 1 - almost 2 1/2 hours of newly restored cartoons from new 4K remasters

What's the difference between the two versions of Mr. Nice Guy?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

What's the difference between the two versions of Mr. Nice Guy?

Extended Original Cut: Version shown in HK and Japan with some non-English dialogue and subtitles (new 4K transfer of the camera negative)
New Line Cut: Version shown in the US with about 10-15 minutes of cuts and some extra dubbing (existing HD master)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

ChazTurbo posted:

I raise my face to the sky and scream to the gods “my kingdom for an Akira Kurosawa UHD Masterpiece Collection”

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Wouldn’t mind a good Aliens UHD or Taxi Driver or There Will Be Blood.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

^ good luck waiting for Aliens on UHD

The Cameo posted:

I raise my face to the sky and scream to the gods “my kingdom for an Akira Kurosawa UHD Masterpiece Collection”

Dreams would be UHD demo disc material. Criterion's Blu-ray is gorgeous (and from a 4K transfer).

Don't expect Seven Samurai or anything earlier, even though Rashomon and Ikiru have excellent-looking restorations - I've heard Toho's 4K of Seven Samurai has a bit too much smoothing over. Rashomon looks great on Blu-ray despite it being from compromised elements (Reliance Mediaworks did the restoration), but it was technically done at 2K and upscaled to 4K for the final master.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Lol, don’t I know it! If you check my post history for the thread, you’ll see I’ve been railing about trying to see Abyss on BluRay for awhile now! Someone has to keep hope up! I actually finally succumbed and watched it on HBO a few months back, but it wasn’t the same.

Avatar 2: It’s Water This Time is 2022, right? Ugh.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I want Frasier in 4k. They haven't given us the show in HD, so I want the even better option. I need all of the Frasier I can get in the best quality possible.

Also, give it a Dolby Atmos mix. I want to feel "I'm listening" all around me.

Make it happen!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Lol, don’t I know it! If you check my post history for the thread, you’ll see I’ve been railing about trying to see Abyss on BluRay for awhile now! Someone has to keep hope up! I actually finally succumbed and watched it on HBO a few months back, but it wasn’t the same.

Avatar 2: It’s Water This Time is 2022, right? Ugh.

Yeah and then there's three more of them.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Boywhiz88 posted:

Wouldn’t mind a good Aliens UHD or Taxi Driver or There Will Be Blood.

And while they're at it maybe they could give the 4k treatment to any PT Anderson movie at all really

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah and then there's three more of them.

Filming has been postponed though, since New Zealand is currently is nation-wide lockdown for at least another couple of weeks, and Auckland will probably remain in extended region-wide self-isolation after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boooo, the Batman: The Brave and the Bold sets aren't part of the Archives series.