Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Endorph posted:

yeah its not that falcom are awful writers who xseed salvaged, its just that they actually localized the games incredibly well. XSeed's tl was concerned with 'how these characters would convey this information if they were speaking in English,' Nisa's is concerned with 'what the Japanese says.' It's not a bad translation but it's very obvious how the priorities shifted.

My girlfriend speaks Japanese and would always be confused when characters would shout "THERE" when they attack things in Japanese games. It's in LOADS of stuff, Fire Emblem, Soul Caliber, whatever.
NISA has translated the characters saying that into English and it's just bizzare. I think that's a good example of their changes and attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
For real though, can we take a moment to talk about how CS3 is a game that came out of loving Japan and got away with a sequence where the protagonists discover that the government has covered up a massive atrocity and war crime and every member of the cast is of the opinion that the coverup is evil.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think these games have pretty good writing and i find the edgy shonen archetype cliches fun. if you don't find them fun i can get not jamming with the ouroboros stuff, and i can get preferring the games where they aren't as big of a factor, but idk why this thread is psy-opping itself into thinking falcom are the worst writers on earth because they liked the scene in DBZ where goku went 'and this... is to go even further beyond!!' and because xseed had a decent localization editor

Taear posted:

My girlfriend speaks Japanese and would always be confused when characters would shout "THERE" when they attack things in Japanese games. It's in LOADS of stuff, Fire Emblem, Soul Caliber, whatever.
NISA has translated the characters saying that into English and it's just bizzare. I think that's a good example of their changes and attitude.
the one that sticks out the most to me is kurt's 'it's down!' line when he breaks an enemy because its a really obvious example of a line not taking context into account, in this case the context of the game having human enemies. weird for him to break mcburn and call him an 'it,' and all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

For real though, can we take a moment to talk about how CS3 is a game that came out of loving Japan and got away with a sequence where the protagonists discover that the government has covered up a massive atrocity and war crime and every member of the cast is of the opinion that the coverup is evil.
i mean theres tons of japanese pop culture - not even books just like, anime/games - that engage directly with jp warcrimes by name.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
endorph going to the barricades this fine evening

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

endorph going to the barricades this fine evening
'going to the barricades' = 'disagreeing with a post'

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

uwa! this...is not even half of her shitposting power!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The silver lining is that they meandered in CS3 so much that CS4 is basically way more plot focused.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

which is worse: someone liking ouroboros, or someone having multiple bans for trying to bait people into suicide in D&D? who can say

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

which is worse: someone liking ouroboros, or someone having multiple bans for trying to bait people into suicide in D&D? who can say

they'd all come back fine next week anyway

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Maybe I'm as dense as Rean but I always viewed Agate/Tita to be very much big brother/little sister, despite a bunch of people teasing them at various times about it being something romantic. While Tita definitely crushes on Agate, I never got the impression from Agate that his interest for Tita is anything other than brotherly/fatherly.

Especially considering they met in Sky FC when he was 24 and Tita was 12, which would make that interpretation of their relationship gross as gently caress. Even by their ages in CS3 a 28 yo getting on with a 16 yo is pretty drat hosed up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

the one that sticks out the most to me is kurt's 'it's down!' line when he breaks an enemy because its a really obvious example of a line not taking context into account, in this case the context of the game having human enemies. weird for him to break mcburn and call him an 'it,' and all.

actually Kurt says "Eats down!" which could have one of several meanings;

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

That just made me picture your avatar singing the Marseillaise.
The body language doesn't really work, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

actually Kurt says "Eats down!" which could have one of several meanings;
well mcburn *IS* a snack, shall we say

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Like I said, I am still interested to see where everything is leading to. But the cutscenes aren't particularly well done, the cast is ridiculously large and only growing, and the amount of loading I go through to get through a long cutscene of every party member chiming in with a "yeah!" adds to the frustration. It's weird going from the Ys games to this, cause the Ys games loving fly at hyperspeed.

I still like the core concept of Cold Steel, but there are an increasing amount of times that I'm begging it to get out of its own way and I just don't think I'm going to get it.

Tae posted:

The silver lining is that they meandered in CS3 so much that CS4 is basically way more plot focused.

Tae you are saving my soul in this thread. That is good news.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Well, to be fair, the government themselves weren't the perpetrators of the atrocity, but rather a small and generally maligned faction of nobles seeking to move up in the ranks with war trophies.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
In the sole cool thing that he does, Kurt is proclaiming that the situation is Down.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Endorph posted:

Laura's "An opening!" is great because it's also her line for picking up flags in the horse racing event.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ojetor posted:

Maybe I'm as dense as Rean but I always viewed Agate/Tita to be very much big brother/little sister, despite a bunch of people teasing them at various times about it being something romantic. While Tita definitely crushes on Agate, I never got the impression from Agate that his interest for Tita is anything other than brotherly/fatherly.

Especially considering they met in Sky FC when he was 24 and Tita was 12, which would make that interpretation of their relationship gross as gently caress. Even by their ages in CS3 a 28 yo getting on with a 16 yo is pretty drat hosed up.

They're definitely romantically interested in TOCS3, it's going down that line of "they're destined to be together".
You know - like Sara is destined to be with someone that's like her dad.

Also I pronounce Ouroboros like they do in Red Dwarf and the pronunciation of it in this game makes me feel weird.

I'M UP
IT'S DOWN
I'M UP
IT'S MY TURN
IT'S DOWN

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Tae posted:

This was not my experience at all. Large portions of 4 (including basically the entirety of Act 2) could be removed without the player being any the wiser.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Let's not forget Alisa's

"Now's our chance" followed immediately by more aggressively proclaiming "NOW'S OUR CHANCE"

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

On the topic of "why isnt anyone in this group of friends getting married"

I'm aware of a total of 2 completely canon pairings of main characters and one was the focus of 2 entire games, and the other is a plot thread from the first that received development in the 3rd and 9th games before becoming official, so obviously this series isnt about people making babies. The closest we have otherwise is Bonding, ship teasing, and Gaius and Linde getting pretty close outside of his plot responsibility. Tons of NPC pairs too if you want that, very upset I dont know if Rinon and Kitty tied the knot or not.

On the topic of NPCs gushing over how hot dude main characters are, I clearly remember everyone but Machias getting some of that. Anyone remember Machias getting some?

Yo, can we not get into personal insults over the internet about a game on a forum thread that is about being a general fan of the games?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MythosDragon posted:

On the topic of NPCs gushing over how hot dude main characters are, I clearly remember everyone but Machias getting some of that. Anyone remember Machias getting some?

That scene is funny because Machias is the one who mentions not being able to take people talking about him----and no one does. At all. Patiry probably likes him.

Mint has had a crush on Elliot for three games now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

What i actually want from this series is for all my favourite characters to hang out and have a good time though

so far CS3 is pretty good for that!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Amppelix posted:

What i actually want from this series is for all my favourite characters to hang out and have a good time though

It's this. This is why I like CS3.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Amppelix posted:

I feel like I'm hanging around with new people more than the people I want to. I guess?
Not that I dislike the newbies or anything, it almost feels like a strange soft reboot.

Also I never picked up on Elliot and mint. Not even sure I saw them ever interact! I am curious about how they chose which side characters to put in this one. I would really have expected Colette over Mint!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Taear posted:

I feel like I'm hanging around with new people more than the people I want to. I guess?
Not that I dislike the newbies or anything, it almost feels like a strange soft reboot.

Also I never picked up on Elliot and mint. Not even sure I saw them ever interact! I am curious about how they chose which side characters to put in this one. I would really have expected Colette over Mint!

The character I can't believe didn't make an appearance in this game is Lambert, personally. There's a riding club and there's a sequence in the race track.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Same, I'm so very sick of stories that ignore the fact that the characters are people that are supposed to exist outside of the plot and thats why Trails is so fun, even Sky was way ahead with this.

I heard a few of the original Thors students are in neither 3 nor 4, including one of my favorites so I'm hoping they get to be in Origins or else I'm gonna be upset that 90% showed up while 10% didnt.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Endorph posted:

yeah its not that falcom are awful writers who xseed salvaged, its just that they actually localized the games incredibly well. XSeed's tl was concerned with 'how these characters would convey this information if they were speaking in English,' Nisa's is concerned with 'what the Japanese says.' It's not a bad translation but it's very obvious how the priorities shifted.

Speaking of which, this is something I've really enjoyed about the Zero translation as I've played through it. I understand just enough Japanese to catch a lot of the changes that were made to the standard "agreement" dialogue, and it's been quite nice.

I'm assuming that CS3 does not do this from what's been said, and that sounds like quite a shame.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MythosDragon posted:

Same, I'm so very sick of stories that ignore the fact that the characters are people that are supposed to exist outside of the plot and thats why Trails is so fun, even Sky was way ahead with this.

I heard a few of the original Thors students are in neither 3 nor 4, including one of my favorites so I'm hoping they get to be in Origins or else I'm gonna be upset that 90% showed up while 10% didnt.

It's more like 60% showing up. Who is your favourite?

My guess is it's like Valkyrie....profile? Where some characters are HUGE in Japan for completely unknown reasons.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Oh god. The Abyss Worm equivalents that come up in the mines are undelayable? This is hell.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Let's not forget Alisa's

"Now's our chance" followed immediately by more aggressively proclaiming "NOW'S OUR CHANCE"

As someone who has translated lists of action lines, ie: dozens of characters saying the exact same dozens of lines in very slightly different ways, I have to say that I can completely imagine this happening and it's not even weird.

For what it's worth, fan translators tend to have it way easier than professionals because they've had the opportunity to actually play the game and see things in context first.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Aha! Is this our chance?

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
There's a new patch for the Geofront patch.

https://geofront.esterior.net/2020/04/12/trails-from-zero-patch-1-0-2/

Lot's of bugfixes but the site seems to be in a death spiral again.

quote:

Fixed an issue where the mod was allocating extra resources on every PNG load, eventually leading to a memory leak characterized by white textures and a non-functional save menu (JoseJL).
Fixed an issue where the targeting would get stuck in battle when playing with keyboard or controller. Previously, this was caused by the location of the mouse cursor over the units, and was thus mitigated by the player changing the battle rotation or moving the mouse (JoseJL).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This mirror got me through: https://falcom-collections.net/Geofront/Geofront_ZeroLauncher_1.0.2.zip

Also don't be like me and forget that the ZeroLauncher should only be run where you want that thing to reside, in other words don't run it from your freaking Downloads folder unless you want it to live there afterwards.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Taear posted:

It's more like 60% showing up. Who is your favourite?

My guess is it's like Valkyrie....profile? Where some characters are HUGE in Japan for completely unknown reasons.

Klein.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm afraid he's so unpopular he barely even has a wiki entry.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Taear posted:

I'm afraid he's so unpopular he barely even has a wiki entry.

He probably is unpopular but wiki's arnt really the best way to check. It only takes a few dedicated fans to make an entire wiki, the singular series I like more than LoH is pretty niche novel series, but it probably has one of the most robust wikis this side of the internet where every single character has a massive plot summary that is up to date with Japanese releases, while LoH is definitely known more and we have 2 wikis of bad and merely average in details. The LoH one is still saying Cold Steel is a Trilogy...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MythosDragon posted:

He probably is unpopular but wiki's arnt really the best way to check. It only takes a few dedicated fans to make an entire wiki, the singular series I like more than LoH is pretty niche novel series, but it probably has one of the most robust wikis this side of the internet where every single character has a massive plot summary that is up to date with Japanese releases, while LoH is definitely known more and we have 2 wikis of bad and merely average in details. The LoH one is still saying Cold Steel is a Trilogy...

What I'm saying here is that the wiki is made by pretty insane fans and if they've not written up an article about your particular favourite it probably means not many other people like them, if that makes sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

make your own Klein wiki

please try to keep it below 30,000 words