Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Good god that's one of the lamest jesus christ superstars ive ever seen.
I didnt think anyone would make one lamer than the 2000 one but holy poo poo at least that one had a few memorable qualities
Everyone has dreads, Jesus breaks a DJ's turntable, and Pontius Pilate is doing squats with his personal trainer. It's got an aesthetic and it's nailing it but it's incredibly cursed.

Except for maybe Judas. He looks like he's in his late forties and in the middle of a mid life crisis trying to nail some college co-eds.

Though the Pharisees and investment brokers and Herod as Graham Norton are both pretty good. If I didn't know that Weber voted to cut healthcare for indigent pregnant women I'd think he was trying to say something.

Edit: poo poo, thats Sporty Spice as Mary Magdelene.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Midgetskydiver posted:

I think Ozark finally broke me. Not sure why, but when Laura linney broke into that family's/ their old home and hosed with their stuff before leaving, it was just so casually and pointlessly evil. Purposefully taking away those kids' sense of security purely for pleasure, I mean, I know they've done hosed up things but something about that just totally killed my interest in the show.

Wouldn't watch a show that follows the zany antics of a child molester, and they've almost reached that level.

That scene was so weird. I have no idea why she did any of that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has anyone tried any Quibi shows?

Here's a guide to their programming from Vulture. One or two sound okay

https://www.vulture.com/amp/2020/04/quibi-series-reviews-ranked-viewing-guide.html

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

I think Ozark finally broke me. Not sure why, but when Laura linney broke into that family's/ their old home and hosed with their stuff before leaving, it was just so casually and pointlessly evil. Purposefully taking away those kids' sense of security purely for pleasure, I mean, I know they've done hosed up things but something about that just totally killed my interest in the show.

Wouldn't watch a show that follows the zany antics of a child molester, and they've almost reached that level.

Personally I thought the ozark scene where they (s2 spoiler) murder a priest in front of his newborn child was a little worse than when Wendy taught a sheltered rich family a valuable lesson about the importance of changing your locks when you buy a new house.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Has anyone tried any Quibi shows?

Here's a guide to their programming from Vulture. One or two sound okay

https://www.vulture.com/amp/2020/04/quibi-series-reviews-ranked-viewing-guide.html

I’ve watched:
A bunch of The Shape of Pasta and absolutely love it, just wish it was longer.
I Promise (doc about leBron James’ school) is good and always makes me cry haha
Most Dangerous Game feels like a mid tier NBC show.
Dismantled is fun enough
When the Streetlights and Survive both seem like they could have potential, but have only watched 1 episode each so far.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm almost through watching Westworld season 1 for what I know is the second time, but I've apparently completely blocked out and can remember none of my first viewing. It makes me want to reinstall RDR2 and work at a theme park for a summer. Maybe not that theme park

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Not sure when Netflix added The Death of Stalin but it's worth watching for Jason Isaacs as Zhukov alone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think it was all good but they hosed up the ending, which is surprisingly common in television's new golden age.

You might like Freud, an Austrian crime drama with a similar vibe but stronger storyline yet is visually stimulating with extreme characters like PD and The Alienist. The Protagonist is Dr. Sigmund Freud, yes that one, solving a hypnosis based crime in 1880's Vienna.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Not sure when Netflix added The Death of Stalin but it's worth watching for Jason Isaacs as Zhukov alone.

Yuuuup

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Peanut Butter Falcon on Vudu is a solid all around movie. It's simple and sweet, I haven't seen one of those in a while.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just dropped Sling and signed up for Hulu, binging a bunch of stuff I've never seen.

How did no one tell me that Letterkenny is the funniest loving thing I've ever seen???

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Starks posted:

Personally I thought the ozark scene where they (s2 spoiler) murder a priest in front of his newborn child was a little worse than when Wendy taught a sheltered rich family a valuable lesson about the importance of changing your locks when you buy a new house.

Lol.

Also, I'm on Team Jonah when Wendy inevitably decides to kill her son in season 4.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Season 4?

And yeah Letterkenny is fuckin great. If you haven't watched it yet, pitter patter!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Yes, that will be the season after season 3.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
There's only 3 seasons of Ozark out right now. Are you from the future? Do we win against the machines?

Oh nevermind I'm an idiot who doesn't understand jokes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They were making a prediction about season 4 hth.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

wormil posted:

You might like Freud, an Austrian crime drama with a similar vibe but stronger storyline yet is visually stimulating with extreme characters like PD and The Alienist. The Protagonist is Dr. Sigmund Freud, yes that one, solving a hypnosis based crime in 1880's Vienna.

I'll check it out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

And Michael Palin!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, it's a blast. Everyone's funny, honestly Jeffrey Tambor had me laughing the most.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's probably my favorite thing Iannuci has done since like season 1 of The Thick of It or season 4 of Veep. I've watched it 4 or 5 times and feel like watching it again now

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Relies a bit too much on "historical figures saying curses!" as humor, but it was exactly what I needed yesterday so it gets five cups of peppermint tea and a bag of chips from me. My favorite bit was the stay-alive strategy employed by Khrushchev and his wife, and the most satisfying part by far was the last five minutes of Beria's life. What a fascinating piece of garbage he was.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So according to ResetEra, Carole Baskin from Tiger King is near completely innocent and had her portrayal manipulated by the director. And the only reason people don't see it, is because of sexism. Is there any accuracy to this?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

So according to ResetEra, Carole Baskin from Tiger King is near completely innocent and had her portrayal manipulated by the director. And the only reason people don't see it, is because of sexism. Is there any accuracy to this?

She’s a crazy rear end bitch op and I knew it when she admitted to painting that vase, but given how bad everyone in the doc is there’s a good chance her husband deserved it

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

punk rebel ecks posted:

She is completely innocent in the basic sense that she has never even been accused of a crime.

The purpose of the “murder-mystery” episode is ostensibly to provide context for why the meth-addicted libertarian cult leader was ranting about septic tanks, but ended up promoting his conspiracy theories to those prone to calling women “crazy rear end bitches”. It’s a big failing of the series.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Imagine defending a racist, murdererous, charity scamming, serial domestic abuser millionaire who uses unpaid child labour to run her animal death camps

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Starks posted:

You're right those kids deserved it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot is on Prime and it’s one of the worst movies I’ve seen in awhile

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

sponges posted:

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot is on Prime and it’s one of the worst movies I’ve seen in awhile

It is painful and I truly believed the part where Smith said he emotionally blackmailed people to cameo in it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Kevin Smith is a hack. Clerks is great and should be seen, everything after that ranges from OK to BAD.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Starks posted:

Imagine defending a racist, murdererous, charity scamming, serial domestic abuser millionaire who uses unpaid child labour to run her animal death camps

?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

beanieson posted:

Kevin Smith is a hack. Clerks is great and should be seen, everything after that ranges from OK to BAD.

Very true, and I like Kevin Smith.

sponges posted:

I'm watching Red Riding Hood on Hulu right now, I'll let you know how good it is after.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The big cat rescue lady. I prefer to see her as the hero, the lowly Tampa prostitute who took a millionaire for every penny he had and disposed of him while he was in the process of abandoning his family. Of course, the documentary doesn't talk about the other husband she had, who did successfully get a restraining order against her, because she constantly threatened to kill him like she had her previous husband. There's really not any good guys in the whole thing, just worse guys. Maybe Joe Exotic's only surviving and unincarcerated husband (Joe had a husband the doc skipped over too, he's in prison I guess), the tooth guy with the bad(rear end) coverup tattoo at the end, he seems ok.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Inspector Hound posted:

The big cat rescue lady. I prefer to see her as the hero, the lowly Tampa prostitute who took a millionaire for every penny he had and disposed of him while he was in the process of abandoning his family. Of course, the documentary doesn't talk about the other husband she had, who did successfully get a restraining order against her, because she constantly threatened to kill him like she had her previous husband. There's really not any good guys in the whole thing, just worse guys. Maybe Joe Exotic's only surviving and unincarcerated husband (Joe had a husband the doc skipped over too, he's in prison I guess), the tooth guy with the bad(rear end) coverup tattoo at the end, he seems ok.

Oh wow, didn't know that she had another husband. Isn't her cat sanctuary accredited though?

beanieson posted:

I'd say I agree from the rest of his films I've seen.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is alright and nearly a classic, but is just too early 2000s and crude for its own good.

Chasing Amy does deserve props for tackling such subject matter in the nineties, but at the end of the day it is just so focused on a straight males perspective on things. The protagonist is such an asshat and I couldn't imagine any LGBTQ person willing to put up with their ignorance.

Clerks 2 isn't as bad as people say it is. It's not a worthy sequel but it is worthy of being made and seen.

Tusk had some good ideas, but was just too strange and while I understand that it is body horror, at the end of the day all the "mad surgeon" did was just put the main character in a suit. It isn't that much different from that Invader Zim episode. And jesus gently caress was this scene cringy.

Red State had potential and some good ideas but just lacked the execution on Smith's part.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 12, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You can watch the only worthwhile part of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnESedN4vSI

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 12, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh wow, didn't know that she had another husband. Isn't her cat sanctuary accredited though?

Maybe, but its less a sanctuary and more a zoo, same as the other two are running. She is charging admissions for tours and making tons of money off it on top of the YouTube money from hee videos. Thats on top of her running the whole thing with a strictly volunteer staff that talk about the place like a cult.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any place where I get to clean up cat poo poo and pee is a cult

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

BisterdDave posted:

I'm watching Red Riding Hood on Hulu right now, I'll let you know how good it is after.

Honestly it wasn't the worst I've seen.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Inspector Hound posted:

Nah that husband died of AIDS in early 00's

Apparently it really broke him

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/09/joe-exotic-and-his-american-animals.html

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Nah that husband died of AIDS in early 00's

Apparently it really broke him

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/09/joe-exotic-and-his-american-animals.html

He had a husband after that that molested a girl and then murdered a guy, neither of his first two husbands come up in the doc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Inspector Hound posted:

Of course, the documentary doesn't talk about the other husband she had, who did successfully get a restraining order against her, because she constantly threatened to kill him like she had her previous husband.

A cursory google search shows that that's entirely false.

A former BCR employee who may have been Baskin's boyfriend(?) evidently petitioned for a restraining order against Baskin after she allegedly threatened to "kick his rear end out of there".

This petition was rejected by a circuit judge due to "no facts of violence or specific credible threat of imminent fear".

The failed petition has evidently been promoted as evidence against Baskin by a UK tabloid and "BCRWatch", a conspiracy/stalking website similar to the ones Joe Exotic was running.

With all the sensationalism, you'd think people would be more careful.