Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Internet Wizard posted:

How come the cop’s not wearing one while he’s on the bus then

You tried making an announcement with a mask on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

lmao

Wear a mask unless SUPER expelling your breath at people is a hilarious take. Also yes, and it's slightly less effective, but being about 80% as loud/clear is better than 100% spraying your words all over people.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

the good news is you're probably not going to get alzheimer's due to all the mental gymnastics you do

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

To answer a question you asked me awhile back, the reason nobody engages you in good faith is because you don't either.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

McNally posted:

To answer a question you asked me awhile back, the reason nobody engages you in good faith is because you don't either.

Yes, I do.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

To paraphrase the former SecNav, you're either too stupid or too naive to engage in good faith with

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
As someone who's been dealing with this at work for the past couple weeks, yelling through a mask is not very effective. You just end up doing it three times then giving up and taking the mask off anyway.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Welp, looks like I'm the rear end in a top hat this time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Godholio posted:

As someone who's been dealing with this at work for the past couple weeks, yelling through a mask is not very effective. You just end up doing it three times then giving up and taking the mask off anyway.

Thank you for speaking up. I've been running into the same issue with masks at work, especially since I started wearing a thick cotton one, but apparently my input isnt ever going to be taken seriously.

McNally posted:

Just because I usually make flippant posts doesn't mean everything I say is in bad faith or trolling.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

McNally posted:

I loving hate when I have to own poo poo like that. I’ll do it, but gently caress I hate doing it. Makes me blood red faced embarrassed.

At least you don’t have to do it every 30 or so posts you make.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

This unironically shows a lack of discipline. Keep your mask on.

And when I was using an improvised mask, this frustration caused me to redesign the mask. If in an open, outdoor space where yelling makes the most sense, it’s safe to unmask or go sans mask. That’s how we’re doing it. Running a shooting range: bullhorns and/or yelling. At an office meeting: mask on, figure it out.

Granted, we’re not dealing with noncompliant guys on the street like cops, but if the cops’ solution is to use no masks and yell inside a crowded bus, those cops are dumb/hypocritical as gently caress.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Maybe I don't quite follow, but if you're treating a face mask requirement as religiously as that (which, to be fair, is a good thing), then how in the hell does yelling at the entirety of the passengers of a transportation carriage without a mask make any sense whatsoever?

If your containment regulations are so bad that they depend on some dude enlightening people to them for the first time once they're already in a spot where they should have been abiding by them from the get-go, then...uh...

what?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

This unironically shows a lack of discipline. Keep your mask on.

No. It also fucks up my ability to talk on the radio, so I take it off for that too.

I don't know why there's no PA capability on that bus, which seems like the best way to handle that situation.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Announcing things with a mask on is easy, unless it's some kind of heavy duty respirator. Maybe if you've got some major drawl going on, but come on. Being used to it helps, but you really just need to enunciate properly. I think even a cop could manage that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

No. It also fucks up my ability to talk on the radio, so I take it off for that too.

What mask are you wearing, seriously? Been on telecons, radio, phone, and PA systems using a mask and while it's not AS clear, it's not a problem.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Meanwhile Drill Instructors are managing to run boot camp with everybody in masks

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Not to mention surgeons with multiple layers of PPE on including full-on space helmets in operating theatres while wielding whirring bone saws

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

please knock Mom! posted:

Announcing things with a mask on is easy, unless it's some kind of heavy duty respirator. Maybe if you've got some major drawl going on, but come on. Being used to it helps, but you really just need to enunciate properly. I think even a cop could manage that.

You'd be surprised, lol.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bored As gently caress posted:

You'd be surprised, lol.

I'm well aware of what it's like to yell with a mask on, dude.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

What mask are you wearing, seriously? Been on telecons, radio, phone, and PA systems using a mask and while it's not AS clear, it's not a problem.

I've been wearing a thick cotton bandana wrapped into multiple layers.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Internet Wizard posted:

Meanwhile Drill Instructors are managing to run boot camp with everybody in masks

Are they really? I want to see a picture, sounds like quite a scene!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

please knock Mom! posted:

I'm well aware of what it's like to yell with a mask on, dude.

No, I mean about some cops being able to enunciate. Haha

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Chichevache posted:

That's the problem right there. Regular masks don't muffle you, not even the N95s. Your employer's risking your health over a fistful of dollars, but what's new?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

I think I found your problem.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Grem posted:

Are they really? I want to see a picture, sounds like quite a scene!

You know how MPs and gate guards and soldiers in general wear face masks when it's really cold? It's just that but it's less cold.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...irt-face-masks/

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mlmp08 posted:

You know how MPs and gate guards and soldiers in general wear face masks when it's really cold? It's just that but it's less cold.

The one piece of military gear the cops arent using against civilians.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Some generic fabric ones the AF bought us. They look the same as pretty much everyone else's. I'm glad you haven't noticed a problem, but literally everyone here has. Even the germaphobe takes his mask off when he has to talk on the radio.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Soldiers around here are hand-sewing masks and such but are pretty good about keeping them on.

The main place I find violators is in areas where 100% of comms are via radio, but we crush that too, because you literally cannot pass any certification if you cannot prove that you can use the radio with a full up MOPP mask on.

Refusal to use a mask is indiscipline that puts lives at risk in order to up one’s level of convenience.

“I’m too bad at radios to keep your immunocompromised relatives safe” is bullshit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Soldiers around here are hand-sewing masks and such but are pretty good about keeping them on.

The main place I find violators is in areas where 100% of comms are via radio, but we crush that too, because you literally cannot pass any certification if you cannot prove that you can use the radio with a full up MOPP mask on.

Refusal to use a mask is indiscipline that puts lives at risk in order to up one’s level of convenience.

“I’m too bad at radios to keep your immunocompromised relatives safe” is bullshit.

Guess you're just better than everyone else.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Guess you're just better than everyone else.

ffs, it is not a fancy skill to keep a mask on.

You’re defending a cop yelling on a crowded bus without a mask why?

Really, why? If your answer is “Masks are so hard,” I guess maybe get better at masks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

ffs, it is not a fancy skill to keep a mask on.

You’re defending a cop yelling on a crowded bus without a mask why?

Really, why? If your answer is “Masks are so hard,” I guess maybe get better at masks.

All I said was that yelling in a mask sucks.

Stop yelling at clouds.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here’s the non-bootlicker argument for cop yelling on bus: If he lacked equipment and had zero way to mask up (a stretch but okay), then him yelling briefly to kick off long term riders without masks is the lesser of two bad things.

There you go. That’s all it takes to defend the cop going without mask on public transit.

It’s not necessary to pretend humans can’t talk with a mask on.

Godholio posted:

All I said was that yelling in a mask sucks.

Stop yelling at clouds.

You said you violate CDC guidance and DOD policy out of a desire for convenience. Stop doing that. It could kill people.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Sure yelling in a mask sucks but it's hardly an insurmountable obstacle, especially compared to MOPP and other crap people in the military should be competent at.

That also applies to cops, if you can't speak clearly enough to be understand in a mask you have much bigger problems.

Taking your mask off and spraying your germs all over an entire bus and/or shared equipment is taking the coward's route to solving the problem.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Here’s the non-bootlicker argument for cop yelling on bus: If he lacked equipment and had zero way to mask up (a stretch but okay), then him yelling briefly to kick off long term riders without masks is the lesser of two bad things.

There you go. That’s all it takes to defend the cop going without mask on public transit.

It’s not necessary to pretend humans can’t talk with a mask on.

You said you violate CDC guidance and DOD policy out of a desire for convenience. Stop doing that. It could kill people.

Ah, so the problem is that you haven't actually read the guidance in question.

Here:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html
https://media.defense.gov/2020/Apr/05/2002275059/-1/-1/1/DOD-GUIDANCE-ON-THE-USE-OF-CLOTH-FACE-COVERINGS.PDF

We don't share headsets, we sanitize every scope when we're done, we maintain social distancing even though it's a major inconvenience during a mission. I'm done with this loving debate where you don't know gently caress all about what you're talking about but by god you can levy judgment.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 12, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

You are out of your element. I am following CDC, DOD, post, and CoC guidance, defaulting to most strict. We wear masks and we manage to talk to each other because we are not lazy or unable to project our voices.

Because literal lives are at stake.

The official guidance you quoted is not “pull off your mask in close proximity to other people so you can yell.”

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: Nope, nevermind.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The recent work guidance of “wear masks unless outdoors and far from people” has been a crucible event for people who can handle smelling their own breath vs those who cannot handle that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

anyways the gently caress is the guy gonna do if he's on his way back home