Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

man nurse posted:

Let’s be honest, this remake is pretty much all hallways like FF 13 was, truncated with the occasional hub where you get side quests to go back through said hallways. Hell even the main game makes you repeat a couple of them!

I really like this game, but I hope the next one is a bit more open.

This is literally every Final Fantasy. Openness is an illusion in pretty much every game. Like FF6 isn't really any different, except you can wander around on the overworld map and fight random battles I guess. Obviously World of Ruin works a bit different but you're still just functionally going through hallways until you get to a boss fight and story bits, none of these games are Morrowind, they are all pretty linear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

That's good, I really didn't care for 15 and I got some real 15 vibes from the demo.

Ah yeah. The combat is kind of like 15's, but evolved and inproved to be good. You get a lot of build freedom from about half way.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

man nurse posted:

Alright I know everyone's high on this game right now and it's good but real quick? I have to nitpick something.

The static backgrounds/skyboxes used in some of the sections of this game look like straight up poo poo. Like. I’ve seen better skyboxes in PS2 games. The graphics are so inconsistent in this. Sometimes it looks amazing and other times it looks like dogshit. Like are these backgrounds really the best they could do? You mean to tell me that in 2020 on modern hardware on a AAA remake that’s been in development forever that this flat blurry mspaint background is the best you can do? It’s so bad. The area I’m in right now it just looks terrible.

Square said they had a patch in the hopper for the shoddy textures but at this rate most people will be done with the game before it’s released lol

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
yo I just did the honeybee inn and this game loving owns also I'm gay now

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

1stGear posted:

same

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The texture thing seems to be a loading issue - if I turn away from a blurry sign and turn back it's usually fixed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

zakharov posted:

The texture thing seems to be a loading issue - if I turn away from a blurry sign and turn back it's usually fixed.

Yeah it's UE4 failing to load the relevant textures. I'll be interested to see this game running on PS5.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Specifically it's an unreal engine 4 texture streaming issue

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
For the next game, weapon/armor/materia multiple loadout, please

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Oh weird, going into the kid's hideout in the slums glitched out a bit and I had to rebuild my PS4's database.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

To clarify I’m not talking about 3D model textures failing to load in, though that’s certainly noticeable. I mean the static backgrounds of certain scenes, like for instance when you’re traipsing around the rafters to get to reactor 5. They look awful and there’s no reason they should since they’re essentially just a prerendered image. Why are they so low quality in this game, lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

man nurse posted:

To clarify I’m not talking about 3D model textures failing to load in, though that’s certainly noticeable. I mean the static backgrounds of certain scenes, like for instance when you’re traipsing around the rafters to get to reactor 5. They look awful and there’s no reason they should since they’re essentially just a prerendered image. Why are they so low quality in this game, lol

Some of them look like the original and I'm often like "is this a fuckup or a choice"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

This is literally every Final Fantasy. Openness is an illusion in pretty much every game. Like FF6 isn't really any different, except you can wander around on the overworld map and fight random battles I guess. Obviously World of Ruin works a bit different but you're still just functionally going through hallways until you get to a boss fight and story bits, none of these games are Morrowind, they are all pretty linear.

FF6 is perhaps not the best example what with the three-way split in the middle of the WoB but yeah. Perhaps the next installments will be a bit less linear but that's just what the initial 7 source material was like.

Also god drat that chapter 9 boss fight against Hell House was some white knuckle poo poo. Even though it really shouldn't have been because once you figure it out it's pretty straightforward but I dunno I'm just profoundly stupid I guess. Don't know why I had so much trouble. Something I've come to appreciate in fights like that is that you actually want to run your ATB bar as close to full as possible, not as close to empty as possible. When an emergency happens and you need ATB you're going to need it right the gently caress now. I stand by my earlier FFXIII comparison: if you lose control of a fight it will tailspin on you fast.

I think my one regret at this point is not having enough faith in this game (which, given S-E's recent track record, I could probably be forgiven for) and not going into it completely dark. The last few trailers really ruin what would have been a few nice moments if I'd run into them organically.

e: oh yeah the stuff below you when you're under the plate looks like dogshit. What happened there? So much of this game looks beautiful but that beauty just makes all the half-assed parts stand out that much more.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

I just did this sequence and I am not exaggerating when I say it's greatest thing in the game so far.

There were a million ways for SE to gently caress it all up but no they just absolutely nailed it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I love how this single thing has absolutely murdered the used market for PS4s, can't find the fuckers for anything under MSRP now.

Maybe I'll be able to get one by time they actually put out the last episode in 2035

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
:siren: PSA: :siren: If Leviathan is beatable with less than 3.2k HP on your characters, I will tip my hat...but I'm 80% pretty sure it's not; wait until closer to endgame (Chap 15-18).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MoaM posted:

:siren: PSA: :siren: If Leviathan is beatable with less than 3.2k HP on your characters, I will tip my hat...but I'm 80% pretty sure it's not; wait until closer to endgame (Chap 15-18).

Did you use the Barrier materia spells?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Oh man these floating eyes that are only weak to wind and immune to everything else but move constantly so it never lands can go gently caress themselves.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:(

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Final Fantasy 7 is one of my least favorite ones (old enough to have played 1 at release and was playing simultaneous other RPGs with stuff like animated cutscenes and voice acting when FF7 came out, so neither the gameplay nor the plot/characters impressed me), and I'm so confused that I'm enjoying this game so much.

Honeybee was just embarrassing in the original, but I absolutely love it in here.

Also, the fights are a LITTLE too long with too much damage sink, even with staggering, but I do like that they actually have SOME challenge to them, unlike FF12-15, where you figure out how to fight and can just sleepwalk through every single one or brute force with healing items that can be used at any time (hello 15!).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

man nurse posted:

Let’s be honest, this remake is pretty much all hallways like FF 13 was, truncated with the occasional hub where you get side quests to go back through said hallways. Hell even the main game makes you repeat a couple of them!

I really like this game, but I hope the next one is a bit more open.

Midgar was always hallways.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sapozhnik posted:

I think my one regret at this point is not having enough faith in this game (which, given S-E's recent track record, I could probably be forgiven for) and not going into it completely dark. The last few trailers really ruin what would have been a few nice moments if I'd run into them organically.

This is what I did and I’m loving gobsmacked at this game sometimes.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wow, getting killed by the poison bugs in Sector 5 more than anything else in this game combined. I'm just rolling along, then they put everyone to sleep and I might as well put the controller down, there's nothing I can do.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DeathChicken posted:

Wow, getting killed by the poison bugs in Sector 5 more than anything else in this game combined. I'm just rolling along, then they put everyone to sleep and I might as well put the controller down, there's nothing I can do.

Yeah, that part sucked. Everything except the combat is perfect, the battles are kinda jank sometimes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have put five and a half hours into this game and somehow am only still on Chapter 4, I blame my need to do every sidequest and minigame as soon as the game shows them to me. But, in my defense, the combat is so loving good. This game is way better than it had to be, I'm impressed as hell.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm pacing myself so that I'm completing stuff a couple of chapters ahead of what Maximilian Dood is releasing on YT (since I can't watch his livestreams on Twitch due to timezone differences), and it's really nice to see the game through the eyes of someone who deeply loved the original and is enjoying the gently caress out of the remake.

Chapter 3 just came out on his channel, FYI.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Shiva strats? I can get her to about 25% hp then she obliterates me.

Is this intended to be done later with a 3 person party?

Have Aerith use the ability that drops a rune at her feet so you can doublecast your (ideally level 2) fire spells to quickly stagger her. Cloud should have Fire equipped too, though his punisher mode attacks and Focused Thrust can pump out a bunch of stagger too once she's pressured. Kill the frost familiars she summons (they're kinda hard to see) because they negate magic damage it seems like. At 25% health she does Diamond Dust, which you can't dodge or block, so make sure you're at above 50% health because it does around 1k damage if you have no ice resistance at all.

If you have the elemental materia and a twin-linked materia armor, that cuts down on damage a ton. I don't think there's any other resist gear at that point minus the accessory from the Butterfinger DLC lol. Resist is probably more important on Cloud since Aerith can hang back and heal up easier.

DrNutt posted:

I think one thing the FF games typically are good at is making the open world feel like an opportunity to get one over on the game by letting you do some carefully controlled sequence breaking. Like in the original FF7, it was neat to be able to take the Bronco and go find some slightly-better-than-usual equipment a bit early - it wasn't really a big deal but it made you feel clever for navigating your way through all the environmental obstacles to get there. Midgar is just incredibly linear compared to the rest of the game, but you're typically not in it long enough to really notice or care.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 12, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I have put five and a half hours into this game and somehow am only still on Chapter 4, I blame my need to do every sidequest and minigame as soon as the game shows them to me. But, in my defense, the combat is so loving good. This game is way better than it had to be, I'm impressed as hell.

"i need you to kill this dog"
"sure, no prob"
"no listen, you need to be careful. this is an angry dog. outrageously, unbelievably angry"
"pfft, i've dealt with a lot of angry dogs in my-"
:woof:
"oh god oh gently caress"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There, killed the stupid bugs largely through Punisher counter cheese. And running away like a sissy whenever anyone was sleeped, hoping they didn't get the second person

Shiva oddly was very easy. Just pelted her from afar with Aerith, Prayed when needed, eventually sprung Ifrit and she died

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

dudeness posted:

Oh man these floating eyes that are only weak to wind and immune to everything else but move constantly so it never lands can go gently caress themselves.

Yeah a few enemies are stupidly resistant to everything but one element and if you don't have it you're stick whittling them down for a long time.

The parts where you have just two party members are kind of lame as a result, because between elemental magic and cure you don't have a ton of leftover slots, and you NEED those elements. Hell House would be a dreadful fight if you only had one or two elements, for example.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sapozhnik posted:

FF6 is perhaps not the best example what with the three-way split in the middle of the WoB but yeah. Perhaps the next installments will be a bit less linear but that's just what the initial 7 source material was like.

Also god drat that chapter 9 boss fight against Hell House was some white knuckle poo poo. Even though it really shouldn't have been because once you figure it out it's pretty straightforward but I dunno I'm just profoundly stupid I guess. Don't know why I had so much trouble. Something I've come to appreciate in fights like that is that you actually want to run your ATB bar as close to full as possible, not as close to empty as possible. When an emergency happens and you need ATB you're going to need it right the gently caress now. I stand by my earlier FFXIII comparison: if you lose control of a fight it will tailspin on you fast.

e: oh yeah the stuff below you when you're under the plate looks like dogshit. What happened there? So much of this game looks beautiful but that beauty just makes all the half-assed parts stand out that much more.

The non-linearity even there is just an illusion, you're playing the same story regardless not one thing changes based on which one you play first or last.

Also re: hell house I thought it was neat at first but the fight itself was complete garbage and worse than any fight in the game up to that point. Assess was completely worthless and once I had gotten the health down to a quarter and disabled both arms it was just constantly in God House Mode and I could do no loving damage. Took me like 45 minutes and was super unintuitive.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrNutt posted:

The non-linearity even there is just an illusion, you're playing the same story regardless not one thing changes based on which one you play first or last.

Also re: hell house I thought it was neat at first but the fight itself was complete garbage and worse than any fight in the game up to that point. Assess was completely worthless and once I had gotten the health down to a quarter and disabled both arms it was just constantly in God House Mode and I could do no loving damage. Took me like 45 minutes and was super unintuitive.

You did it wrong.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JBP posted:

You did it wrong.

Okay cool, I did it wrong because it was completely unintuitive after the first phase.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrNutt posted:

Okay cool, I did it wrong because it was completely unintuitive after the first phase.

Most of the bosses have periods where you wait with full ATB and then use your spells during the relevant window of opportunity for a shatter.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JBP posted:

Most of the bosses have periods where you wait with full ATB and then use your spells during the relevant window of opportunity for a shatter.

:shrug: Okay it was super annoying unlike any of the bosses up to that point don't know what else to tell ya.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

barret fuckibg owns and all of the incidental dialogue with the party is great. my goodness, so much to love

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I really wonder if the sequel(s) will be available on the PS4 or not. Being able to not have to work around the system's limitations would be a major benefit whereas the linearity in this game is less of a big deal so I get why they could release it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Oxxidation posted:

"i need you to kill this dog"
"sure, no prob"
"no listen, you need to be careful. this is an angry dog. outrageously, unbelievably angry"
"pfft, i've dealt with a lot of angry dogs in my-"
:woof:
"oh god oh gently caress"
Yeah, that dog did not gently caress around.

Also it was semi-annoying dealing with the drakes because yes, great, wind vulnerability sounds wonderful you haven't made any wind materia available yet you friggin' game, but at least so far it seems like any spell + Focused Thrust will get most dudes 90% of the way to staggered.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Momomo posted:

They had like 23 years to come up with a last name for Jessie and they went with Rasberry.

The game is really good so far but I think that's going to stick with me the entire time.

thanks for the ‘za,mrs. R!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, that dog did not gently caress around.

Also it was semi-annoying dealing with the drakes because yes, great, wind vulnerability sounds wonderful you haven't made any wind materia available yet you friggin' game, but at least so far it seems like any spell + Focused Thrust will get most dudes 90% of the way to staggered.

You can get wind materia from Chadley before you go in.