Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Figures that the episode that has the most Pete Davidson in years is the one he can film from his basement and driveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pwn posted:

My friend and i are laughing our asses off because we suffered through the 4:30 original cut she put on Insta a couple weeks ago and they actually put a condensed version on network television

Oh god, that was good for a minute but loving yikes at 4:30

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
“I got $2000 dollars” feels very Canadian right now (we’re all getting $2000).

(Not me, I’m “essential” :rolleyes:)

Lol, Kate McKinnon has a ring light.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh this was very sweet until they started singing

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Geez, this one hit them hard huh?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
i'm not crying yr crying

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Feels like the best tribute they’ve done in a long time.

Yeah the singing feels off, but I feel that’s because of that loving awful Imagine thing.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
that was one of the best eps in a long time

in the coming weeks let's watch them run it into the ground

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The Hal tribute left me crying.

The ending tracking shot of empty 8H was extremely melancholic as well

pwn
May 27, 2004

SHVPS4DETH posted:

that was one of the best eps in a long time

in the coming weeks let's watch them run it into the ground

I appreciate the cynicism but it’s probably reruns from here on out. Next week is for sure.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

pwn posted:

I appreciate the cynicism but it’s probably reruns from here on out. Next week is for sure.

like i talk poo poo but i'd love to get a few more of these

pwn
May 27, 2004

SHVPS4DETH posted:

like i talk poo poo but i'd love to get a few more of these

If we get to Mother’s day and everything is still shut down (very possible,) they may do another one to close the season. But nothing is real anymore and reality is collapsing in on itself, so who knows

pwn
May 27, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Oh god, that was good for a minute but loving yikes at 4:30

I uploaded it to Vimeo for everyone's, uh, benefit

https://vimeo.com/406728256

Thanks to my very good friend for capping that.

Also there's always this weird thing with embedding Vimeo videos, where it doesn't show up on desktop browser but does show in the Awful app? So here's the link if it's not showing up: https://vimeo.com/406728256

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

pwn posted:

If we get to Mother’s day and everything is still shut down (very possible,) they may do another one to close the season. But nothing is real anymore and reality is collapsing in on itself, so who knows

this is going to go on longer than anyone is willing to accept and poo poo is gna be wild

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBtV29bFSlk

A youtube commenter said it best when they said:

quote:

My dude got cut for time on the quarantine episode. They’re just hating at this point.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Watching this now and it sucks.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Tom Hanks wraps up with, "Welp, that's our show I hope it gave you something to do for a little while". LOL yeah it was an okay distraction Tom thanks for trying.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

this is going to go on longer than anyone is willing to accept and poo poo is gna be wild

Because when you think about and accept how long it's actually going to last it's too f*cking depressing and demoralizing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Tom Hanks actually gets how much SNL sucks. Those are not jokes! Good on them for at least trying something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Did Tom Hanks show up outside of the beginning and end?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PostNouveau posted:

Did Tom Hanks show up outside of the beginning and end?

He introduced the musical guest

pwn
May 27, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

Watching this now and it sucks.

Turn on your monitor

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

pwn posted:

Turn on your monitor

Sent you a pm

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I kinda liked it. I was worried the lo-fi format would mean a bunch of 'sketches' with Kyle and/or Beck saying nonsense words over and over, but there was just the one of those.

I'm glad they didn't try to do anything actually-live. It was nice for the crummy video and audio quality to get a professional glow up from the graphics team.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

pwn posted:

Turn on your monitor

Episode could have used 10 or 15 more minutes of Kate McKinnon doing her Beiber dance, imo.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I was intrigued by this, but gave up after Weekend Update. I wish I could just enjoy the sketches, but their political views are just so loving BAD right now.

I mean they were always bad, but right now I do not have the patience for it.

- Haha blacks don't go to the doctor, why should they care about healthcare.
- Its actually good Biden and Trump are the nominees, because JOKES
- an actual joke about prison rape

pwn
May 27, 2004

Better political jokes in the unofficial WU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZd2IXGEI9E

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
SNL really liked chloe feinmanns masterclass sketch. The entire thing just showed up as an ad before a YouTube video I watched.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I've had that one and the Zoom meeting sketch show up a bunch.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It seems like Kate McKinnon and Aidy Bryant still feed off each other even when not in the same room. They still have that strong "do you two need to be separated?" vibe.

pwn
May 27, 2004

After you watch the One World Together at Home special tonight (8/7c on CBS, NBC, ABC, and numerous streaming platforms,) check out tonight’s Vintage, Julia Louise-Dreyfus with Nick Jonas from April 16 2016.

pwn
May 27, 2004

hanales posted:

SNL really liked chloe feinmanns masterclass sketch. The entire thing just showed up as an ad before a YouTube video I watched.

A couple months ago, in the Before Times, NBC premiered-not-premiered a show on Sunday, January 7, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist*. I say “premiere-not-premiere” because they did air the pilot, but called it a preview, and then said the show premieres on February 16. They quickly put the entire 45-minute premiere as an ad, with an introduction by one of the show’s stars, for a week or so. They then spent the few weeks leading up to the premiere-for-real-this-time hyping that it had however many million streams online.

...no idea what their plan is with the Masterclass sketch :shrug:

*it bad show

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

*it bad show

Don't make that text small or hard to see. This is an important piece of information that everybody needs to know.

SNL45 Quarantine - Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist is Hot, Gooey Garbage

And it's a shame, too, because Jane Levy is truly amazing. I loved her in Suburgatory. Why didn't they just bring that show back?

The songs... every new cover version of a song they do is more milquetoast than the last. It is hard to watch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Jane Levy is great and dammit I love Lauren Graham still, but I don’t want to watch that show.

Anyway, so far this SNL has depressed with both a 2016 debate sketch and the Kobe retirement section of update.

pwn
May 27, 2004

i’m guessing this is why Cecily was absent from the At Home show

Cecily Strong in her home on Easter, wearing a carpal tunnel brace because she’s been using her phone and computer more frequently.
Photo: Courtesy of Cecily Strong

quote:

FIRST PERSON | APR. 21, 2020
I Don’t Know How to Tell This Story
Grieving for Owen was like nothing I’d ever experienced.
By Cecily Strong

I don’t know how to tell this story.

I don’t quite know what the story is.

Because I don’t know when it starts. Or how it ends.

Maybe the story started with the awful day in January when I got the call I had imagined getting for almost two years but believed and hoped I’d never get. “Owen has been given hours. His tumor didn’t shrink enough where they could start the new treatment Monday. They will make sure he’s in no pain, and he’s surrounded by Ed and Laurel and Leda and his girlfriend, Stacia, and Sasha, his best friend since childhood. Soon he will go into a coma and then he will pass away.” I kept saying “No, no, no, no, no, no.” Not my little Owen. My little cousin Owen. I don’t know how long I sat frozen on my bed making these guttural wailing sounds. At some point I picked up my phone. I was in California. I was supposed to fly to Philadelphia the next day for a wedding. Owen was supposed to beat brain cancer.

That night, I took moments to glance at the clock on my phone, wondering, where in time and space was Owen? What part of his journey was he on at this particular moment? I suppose I have my own magical thinking that began in earnest this night, that Owen would somehow beat this, too. I didn’t know how. But if anyone could figure out how to beat time and space, it would be the smartest and most wonderful and bravest human I knew. My cousin Owen.

—————

Maybe the story is a different story, and it starts at a Christmas party last winter with my friend Kevin. I’m a bit down, but we are having fun. At the very end of the night, I’ve had too many and my new agent comes over. I don’t know what we even talk about, but he insists, “Just come meet the guy over there with the mustache.” The guy over there with the mustache is handsome. I almost say yes. But then I say no. I’m 35. I’m very used to being single. The majority of my male friends are gay. The two men I’m with at the table are gay. I think it’s sad that everyone wants to set me up, like it’s sad to look at me or something. I’m doing great!

Okay, but I do like to smooch, and it’s Christmas, and I feel cute in my outfit, so I talk to the man with the mustache. He’s very cute. I have social anxiety, and I’m drunk and tired, so I have no idea what we talk about. He comes home with me. The next morning I’m a little more shy. He is less shy. “Can I give you my number?” he asks. I hand him the pink-flamingo pen my psychiatrist gave me that week. I find an old receipt, and he writes “Jack” and his phone number on the back. Now I have to text him first in order for him to have my number. I text him right after he leaves. I like him. Our timing isn’t great. We both live in New York, but I’m about to go to California for a month. He’s going to Cuba for two weeks. They don’t have great internet.

—————

Maybe the story starts March 2018. My dad has started a new thing I love, where he sends me a text almost immediately after each show: a little summary that is, of course, always complimentary of his “girlie.” This Saturday he doesn’t text me. That’s odd, but maybe he’s just asleep. The next morning he texts and says to call him. His tone immediately scares me: “I have some bad news about Owen.” Of all people this is not who I expect. Owen is 28 years old and in great shape, and what could be wrong with Owen? “He was having migraines, and he took himself into the ER. He got an MRI, and they found a tumor.” We cried together on the phone. Brain cancer is a death sentence, right?

I went to see my cousins, Owen and Leda, at my uncle Ed and aunt Laurel’s apartment. I had no idea what to expect. What’s it like after you find out you have brain cancer? I’m nervous on the way there. Owen’s had surgery to remove the tumor. Will he be bald? Will he look sick? I am holding back tears in the elevator. I get to the door and Owen opens it, his normal, towering, skinny, string-bean frame greeting me, arms wide open for a hug. “Hey, cuz.” I immediately feel okay. He’s smiling. I hug Ed next, who is less confident than Owen. Then Laurel, who is always Aunt Laurel — determined and on some task or another. She seems busy. This is the first time I see it as an armor. She’s going to make sure that we have snacks on the table and that everybody has water. She keeps the most beautiful home and always has — it’s a magical skill to someone like me.

Owen flops on a chair. Laurel is deaf in one ear, so he’s always been used to talking loudly. I’m not sure what to talk about, but Owen leads the way. Soon I’m laughing. I love this kid so much: “You know how everybody goes online and goes on WebMD and panics and convinces themselves they have brain cancer? Well I’m the one who actually had brain cancer.” His doctors are great, he says. They’ve got a plan. He’s got a plan. His only problem is boredom.

I hug him good-bye. I think I needed it more than him. Owen has this quality of being the one who supports everyone around him, even while being the one who is undergoing vigorous treatments for glioblastoma. Uncle Ed walks me outside. He’s visibly upset and nervous. I say, “I think he’s going to be okay. I really do.” And I really did. I saw that kid up there. He’s fearless. And he’s really special.

—————

Does it start near the end? It’s Sunday, March 8, International Women’s Day, and Jack comes with me to watch the U.S. Women’s National Team play against Spain in the SheBelieves Cup. He’s excited to be there, to watch women’s soccer with me. He gets choked up when he sees the number of little girls who get to have sports heroes, as it’s still rare even though they are the most badass team in the world. But I digress. Jack is loving the game. U.S. wins. Duh. Jack says he thinks women’s sporting events might be his new thing. No loud, drunk guys. We go out to eat and wait for traffic to die down before getting a Lyft home. As the restaurant starts to fill up, I wonder if this is a bad idea. The coronavirus is coming, isn’t it? Although, I wonder, what is that really? I am more nervous than most people, so I shrug it off.

That night, Jack does this thing he does where he grabs my hands when I’ve absentmindedly started picking at the skin behind my nail. It’s a thing I do. I pick at things in every way. It’s nerves, it’s anxiety. He notices. He says, “I want you to feel like you can hold my hand instead.” I don’t tell him, but it’s one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. We talk that night. Like, the talk I haven’t had in six years. Are we dating? I like you. Let’s be dating.

At first I thought it was so difficult to meet someone right as I was losing someone I loved so much. I knew he’d have to be patient with me. He’d have to let me grieve. It would be easier not to even try during that process. But grieving for Owen was like nothing I’d ever experienced, and I promised Owen and myself to continue to let all that love be there along with the sadness.

So when Jack leaves that night, after the talk, I say, “I think you were a gift to me from Owen.” And I like thinking of it that way.

Jack calls me that Friday morning and says, “I have a fever.” Jack’s got the coronavirus. What bad timing. So now you know how it could start.

Now it’s time I tell you (if you couldn’t already tell) I’m a bit lost. So here are some more parts of the story, in some order.

Owen told me in August about a great new doctor he has, Dr. Henry Friedman. He’s the head of neuro-oncology at Duke. He’s leading the way in using polio therapy for GBM. That’s the acronym for Owen’s brain cancer. I’m learning the language of cancer now. Owen says Henry is the first doctor to bring up the word cure. I love this doctor. Owen starts polio treatments. I have no idea what that means and what it means for his body. In fact, I will never know what Owen experiences because he will never let on to the extent of his struggles. I’m not the only one. Doctors looking at his final MRI say later that because of the size and position of his tumor, they didn’t know how he was standing and laughing and talking as long as he was.

—————

I’m in the middle of my two-week quarantine in my tiny apartment in New York. I’ve cried every day. I’m scared about Jack. I’m really scared. He has had a bad fever for a week. He didn’t answer his phone yesterday. I text a doctor friend who suggests a police welfare check. I have had anxiety and depression since high school. I take Wellbutrin. I’ve gone to years of therapy. I take Xanax when needed. This is a really bad time for mental health. Today I decide the anxiety is worse. I’d rather be depressed. I get really low. I wake up Friday and I turn my phone on airplane mode and I start drinking. I think it’s going to fall apart with Jack now. I’m upset with him for not understanding why I constantly need to know he’s okay. I’m upset with myself for needing to constantly know he’s okay. I’m upset with friends talking about missing their loving birthdays. What if Jack dies? What if I die? Owen just d—. I can’t say it or write it. I’m so low and I’m so afraid. I’m afraid of the water coming out of my pipes. I’m afraid of outside. And I am so alone. I’ve never felt so alone.

I ask Owen out loud to please help Jack. To help me. I immediately feel bad for asking. I just feel bad.

The next morning Leda texts me that she’s upstate. She says she’s heard a lot of birdsong, so we are in good hands. Thank you, Leda. Thank you, Owen. Perfect timing.

I send Jack the video of Owen’s beautiful service. I spoke about the weird little red-haired boy I first met as a kid who came back into my life as an adult and taught me about family and what it is to feel that kind of love. I talked about his love for birds. The boy who loved birds flew away. Jack tells me he went to high school with one of Owen’s friends, Nate. Nate from Antarctica!

“Nate’s coming from Antarctica. Can you believe it?” Laurel had said as she went through letters and emails and flowers in a much quieter apartment, days after Owen had gone. We ate dinner, and I tried to make them laugh a little. I think Owen would want that. I know he would want that.

Jack’s roommate sends me a video after Jack’s chest X-ray and doctor visit. Jack is in a mask and gloves. He’s out of breath. He’s tired. He looks sick. He says the X-ray looks good. He coughs. Then, even though he’s out of breath and sick, he still says, “My doctor is such a great doctor.” I rewatch this video in my quarantine. It makes me laugh a little. It makes me cry. He’s really sick.

Leda tells a story at Owen’s service. She had asked one of Owen’s doctors if she was scared when she told him they couldn’t do anything more for him, that he would have hours to live. I had this thought, too. But I knew he wouldn’t be scared. The doctor said that while most patients panic and try to bargain in this moment, which makes me really sad to hear, Owen didn’t. Instead he thanked her for trying her best. And for all she’d done for him.

So I don’t know what this story is. The world is upside down. I’m holding devastation and love in equal measures. What is bad timing when the timeline seems irrelevant? What’s the ending? Would you even know?

—————

I’m at the Knicks game. Bulls vs. Knicks. I’m with Owen and Leda and Michael Che. The photographer gets photos of us crazy cheering. Owen’s got his fists in front of his face and I’ve got one raised in the air and my mouth is wide open. Leda is doing the same. We are crazed. We are family. I don’t remember if they win or lose. We go out afterward and get a drink at an Irish bar. We laugh at Michael Che ordering bangers and mash. Owen orders a beer. We are laughing. It’s a normal night. I like seeing him like this. It makes me think he’s gonna be okay. I know he’s gonna be okay.

It’s the last night I will see Owen. But I don’t want to end that way. I don’t like that ending for any story.

Here’s a thing I know for sure: I had a cousin named Owen who had red hair as a little boy and he was a serious kid and he loved birds. He taught me about love during his life and he’s teaching me about love after. And I’m really lucky.

L-R: Leda, Michael, Cecily, and Owen at the Chicago Bulls vs New York Knicks game on November 5, 2018.
Photo: James Devaney/Getty Images

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:smith:

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

pwn posted:

i’m guessing this is why Cecily was absent from the At Home show

Cecily Strong in her home on Easter, wearing a carpal tunnel brace because she’s been using her phone and computer more frequently.
Photo: Courtesy of Cecily Strong

L-R: Leda, Michael, Cecily, and Owen at the Chicago Bulls vs New York Knicks game on November 5, 2018.
Photo: James Devaney/Getty Images

What a beautiful, heartbreaking piece. 😟

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Another SNL at home this week

Am I alone in thinking one of those was enough?

pwn
May 27, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

Another SNL at home this week

Am I alone in thinking one of those was enough?

Probably, i was expecting and hoping for another one for Mother’s Day, this is great

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pwn posted:

Probably, i was expecting and hoping for another one for Mother’s Day, this is great

I've powered through some bad eps over the years as someone that watches it every week ..the first go was cringe but in an adorable way. I'm totally good with them making it a one-off and taking the time off like everyone else, but I guess they won't. Feels like going to a friends improv 101 class and having to pretend to laugh or something..might skip it for the first time in a long time.*

*aidys stock footage thing was actually awesome and I woulda dug that in a typical episode too.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only good parts were Michael Che's bits from Weekend Update, Bruce Chandling's audition, and Hanks' opening.