Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think my issue with horror is how once it starts explaining stuff too much than its not scary. that or poo poo gets milked til its not. like i sorta found the FNAF stuff creepy and the first game keeps everything vague and open to interparatations and such. now everything is super detailed and mined out, which is fine and such, but there is not scary anymore. giving something a face and an explantion doesn't make something scary/creepy. like loving gaunter O' dimm from the witcher 3 is way creepier than pennywise because o'dimm doesnt have some dumb as explanation(the IT book is still creepy though). i mean their are exceptions to the rule, like games/movies based on concepts and thoughts like SOMA are scary as gently caress when done well and than get your thinking.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1249157992932614144

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1249163155462393858

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1249167546487578625

have a hot take for the road i guess. i get where he comes from but lol, sorry its not steven "fascists can be redeemed and friends too" universe.

I mean I get where he’s coming from, the world of Control is easily the best part and it is kinda disappointing that a world that fun to explore is still, in the end, a really generic action game when it comes down to the actual game design. There are probably good, non-shooting things in this game that he’s missing out on but if you don’t like 3rd person action it’s really not gonna be for you no matter how appealing the world is.

I feel like “video games rely too much on killing and shooting for game design” isn’t really a hot take at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DC Murderverse posted:

I mean I get where he’s coming from, the world of Control is easily the best part and it is kinda disappointing that a world that fun to explore is still, in the end, a really generic action game when it comes down to the actual game design. There are probably good, non-shooting things in this game that he’s missing out on but if you don’t like 3rd person action it’s really not gonna be for you no matter how appealing the world is.

I feel like “video games rely too much on killing and shooting for game design” isn’t really a hot take at this point

Sure, though I thought control was a pretty great action game. It’s very kinetic and the powers full great. And while it’s not the hottest take, I always find it somewhat eye rolling especially from folks like him. https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1249164185717690369 It always comes off as weirdly snobbish. Idk.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 12, 2020

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I mean in the very first tweet he says that games need to "grow up." It doesn't come off as snobbish, it just is.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Of all the games out there where you could bitch about the only verbs being violent ones, he chooses Control?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

There are absolutely good ways to say "I wish gaming could focus less on combat, especially in games with fully realized worlds" he just hosed it up

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Even when McIntosh says something many people agree with, he frames it in a way that makes him look like an rear end in a top hat.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

There are absolutely good ways to say "I wish gaming could focus less on combat, especially in games with fully realized worlds" he just hosed it up

Yeah. It’s a good point to make but he always does it in the most passive aggressive or snobby way possible.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Like a lot of things Mr. BTongue said it better eight years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZM2jXyvGOc

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
McIntosh runs into several serious problems.

Firstly, his politics are more reactionary than he would ever admit. He's an ex-conservative ex-religious person and often those patterns of thought stick around even when the content changes.

Second, and related, he mythologizes his own personal growth away from conservatism, and sees it as a model for others. You can see this self-mythologizing in the tweets above, with regards to his game industry experience.

Lastly, he's a crummy writer and communicator who believes that the intrinsic moral fortitude of his arguments is sufficient.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

McIntosh runs into several serious problems.

Firstly, his politics are more reactionary than he would ever admit. He's an ex-conservative ex-religious person and often those patterns of thought stick around even when the content changes.

Second, and related, he mythologizes his own personal growth away from conservatism, and sees it as a model for others. You can see this self-mythologizing in the tweets above, with regards to his game industry experience.

Lastly, he's a crummy writer and communicator who believes that the intrinsic moral fortitude of his arguments is sufficient.

Dudes part contrarian lefty(I won’t go as far as tankie because he apparently hates command economy and such though he says similar poo poo) and Jack Thompson. It’s weird and makes me sad that he isn’t ostracized like movie bob is.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 12, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why does he even write about video games? I don’t like video games either, but I feel no need to talk about them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why does he even write about video games? I don’t like video games either, but I feel no need to talk about them.

Mostly what you see. Bad hot takes or ok takes ruined by being him being him.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

My big problem with a lot of the people saying stuff like that (which I actually agree with) is that they spend a lot of time complaining about games with violence, but very little championing the ones without.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A version of Control with Disco Elysium's mechanics would certainly have value, but it would also be an entirely different game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

You see a lot of plunging of Horror movies. You never see a lot of plunging of cheap 80s fantasy or sci fi (Not horror, more sci-fi adventure/Hard Sci-fi)

Like...theres gotta be people who tried shot of video fantasy movies.

There's Brandon Tenold. Funny guy. Most of his videos are about fantasy or SF. There's also Godzilla movies.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC51tRQjet4Z45Of3n1Qxn8A

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

You see a lot of plunging of Horror movies. You never see a lot of plunging of cheap 80s fantasy or sci fi (Not horror, more sci-fi adventure/Hard Sci-fi)

Like...theres gotta be people who tried shot of video fantasy movies.

Yeah, the aforementioned Brandon Tenold's got your back. So does GoodBadFlicks, although the latter announced a hiatus due to a recent death close to him.

Even Allison did The Eliminator, the delightfully stupid Robocop-alike starring Baywatch's Nicole Eggert.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

A version of Control with Disco Elysium's mechanics would certainly have value, but it would also be an entirely different game.

If you were going to cut out the combat, I'd want Control to be something more like Portal where you solve puzzles with an array of supernatural tools.

Which is... honestly probably impossible from both a design and resource perspective.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hel posted:

My big problem with a lot of the people saying stuff like that (which I actually agree with) is that they spend a lot of time complaining about games with violence, but very little championing the ones without.

This. It's asinine how he keeps pulling out the ole "maybe video game should grow up already :smug:" schtick every time a AAA game is action/violence-oriented, while basically completely ignoring the bevy of indie games and other smaller releases that explicitly eschew combat. (Though frankly it wouldn't surprise me if his rigid standards disqualified all sorts of games for spurious reasons.)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 12, 2020

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Control is a especially bad game to make your frankly vapid "games should move on from violence" take (guess what, they kinda did, you would know if you played videogames) on, because it's inspired by X-Files and other "paranormal police" pieces of media. Are you taking away guns from that poo poo?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

sure, why not

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dias posted:

Control is a especially bad game to make your frankly vapid "games should move on from violence" take (guess what, they kinda did, you would know if you played videogames) on, because it's inspired by X-Files and other "paranormal police" pieces of media. Are you taking away guns from that poo poo?

Sure you can, the actually interesting bits of those stories are the investigation and mystery parts, not the gun violence. Honestly if they aimed for it from the start Remedy could probably have made a decentt Control without the violence but it isn't something you can just retrofit into the game. And it's much more useful to highlight the games that to that rather than complain about the ones that don't.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dias posted:

Guns are the least interesting part of X-Files, which is why they frequently drop or lose their guns.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dias posted:

J-Mac is stupid as hell but...yes? Do you think X-Files often ended with 'and then we shot the monster'? The entire point was half the time they lost their guns or saw the monster can't be shot because 'what if we shot the bigfoot' is the least interesting option possible?

Again Big J is dumb as poo poo because Control also explicitly says that while it does have shooty bits you're not really 'fixing' much with it and the point is the narrative and understanding the world around you and all but 'SO WHAT NOW MULDER AND SCULLY CAN'T HAVE GUNS???' is a weird rebuttal.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

"Scully when I finally find the aliens I'm going to shoot them. I'm going to shoot them with my gun Scully."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I shouldn't have mentioned X-Files by name. It's the ur-Internet grog show. I hosed up. poo poo.

Dias fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 12, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'the truth is out there, and I'm gonna shoot it in its face' ~ Mulder X-Files

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm gonna shoot and kill our sexual tension, Scully.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Here, lemme fix it: Control especifically chose a viral menace (maybe zombie flicks would be a better comparison, but it's supernatural rather than scientific..ish) and puts you in control of a police character in a police force, with plenty of gun-toting military types around. Sure, you could explore the universe of the game in a way that didn't involve shooting but that is kinda a whole different game altogheter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'drat it, Mulder, you're getting too close to the truth, the powers that be will turn their attention to you if you keep poking around like this'

'that's fine because I'm going to shoot them in the face'

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...You done being assholes?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I actually kinda do want an X-Files where there's like 40 minutes of tension and conspiracy and build-up and it just ends with shooting the monster, that'd be funny.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I remember there was an episode of the New Adventures of Jonny Quest where they found bigfoots (bigfeets?) but it turned out they were aliens disguised as bigfoots because the atmosphere of earth was bad for them and they needed the extra hair as protection.

Anyway I'm going to go play the intro for that on a loop for a few hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIuuPTM3nSc

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dias posted:

Hel posted:

Sure you can, the actually interesting bits of those stories are the investigation and mystery parts, not the gun violence. Honestly if they aimed for it from the start Remedy could probably have made a decentt Control without the violence but it isn't something you can just retrofit into the game. And it's much more useful to highlight the games that to that rather than complain about the ones that don't.
Hell, Disco Elysium is practically a textbook example of this.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

To be fair, they did end up shooting a lot of the villains on The X-Files, but mostly it was during the episodes where they were facing a human with some sort of special power, not an alien or a totally inhuman monster.

sexpig by night posted:

I actually kinda do want an X-Files where there's like 40 minutes of tension and conspiracy and build-up and it just ends with shooting the monster, that'd be funny.

Season five's Detour is one I can think of off the top of my head that fits that description (I remembered the episode but had to look up the title). Although Mulder suspects the creatures might have been mutated humans so... yeah, it may or may not count.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 12, 2020

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
One of the X-Files episodes I distinctly remember had a guy who couldn't help eating other peoples' brains, and Mulder and Scully burst in at the last minute just to shoot him dead, having been absent a lot of the episode. IIRC it was one of those filler episodes to reduce the workload on the actors, but that sudden, violent end to it made it stick out to me.

fake edit: Looks like it was "Hungry".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dias posted:

Here, lemme fix it: Control especifically chose a viral menace (maybe zombie flicks would be a better comparison, but it's supernatural rather than scientific..ish) and puts you in control of a police character in a police force, with plenty of gun-toting military types around. Sure, you could explore the universe of the game in a way that didn't involve shooting but that is kinda a whole different game altogheter.

It’s not even a virus, it’s more of a sentient tone/soundwave, that hollows you out and fills you with it and uses you as a transmitter. . It’s more scp than xfiles.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Suoer Eyepatch Wolf's latest video is up, and it's about the modern reality of Sonic the Hedgehog. If you're wondering if he talks about Tails Gets Trolled... you'd be correct, so of course SA features into the video as well:

https://youtu.be/LQqVZsOpXgA

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's cool he gives a shoutout to a bunch of stuff from the late 90's/early oughts, like sprite flash animations/fancomics. I remember watching poo poo on newgrounds and seeing in general people get better and better at utilizing ripped sprites in new and inventive ways over the first few years of the 2000's, some people for fun, some people as training to be animators. I definitely remember a whole bunch of people going nuts over super mario bros z.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The action in Control is amazing. It'd be a lesser game without the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The action in Control is amazing. It'd be a lesser game without the combat.

this. its evolution of remedys various mechanics. they were never gonna make a game without combat mechanics. its always been their wheelhouse.