Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

:yeah:

I sometimes think how pants-shittingly scary a Silent Hill remake on par with these games could be and then get sad that Konami is run by dumb shitheads

i'd keep an eye on the gaming news for the rest of the year/next year if i were you and hope you have a ps5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lol a 20gb mod thats less than half way through that's taken 5 years to get this far. I'd rather capcom did a remake

I appreciate their hustle though, that's dedication

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
?

It's mostly done.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gah, ill eat this one. for some reason i was remembering re4 as having many more chapters

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Seedge posted:

I think the main reason Mercs isn't in the RE3MAKE is that there's no way to consistently run through the areas. It's several distinct areas and corridors, with cutscenes transporting you from new map to new map. There's no way to walk from the subway station to the sewers, for instance, because you teleport via a vent.

Yea and that’s what sucks. Why couldn’t they have done it more like 1,2, and 7 where you can backtrack through most of the map. That’s what allowed them to do 4th survivor in re2 remake.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm down for a Dino Crisis remake with this engine. gently caress yes.

All of Capcoms resident evil style games should be reimagined in RE engine. They already did dmc so please do onimusha and Dino crisis next

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
started running into survivors with infinite throwables in REsistance so I uninstalled lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

blackguy32 posted:

I keep hearing people describe what it should be like and it sounds less like a remake of it and more just like an actual sequel or a side-story or whatever you want to call it. Because if I am being honest, I really don't remember much of anything about the environment of Dino Crisis 1, nor many of the puzzles, nor any of the enemies other than the T-Rex and Raptors, and that one really late game enemy that was really tanky that you may as well just avoid.
Given the age of the game and the fact that it's the concept that people are really pining for, a full reboot makes more sense than sticking to any existing canon.

blackguy32 posted:

There was only 3 guns in it as well. I do think the stalker type gameplay would need to chill for a bit, because raptors are much faster than zombies, and I think having that kind of thing in it would be overkill.
You need something to make the game stand out from RE, and having actual smart raptors would be one way to do it. Plus they're basically Jurassic Park raptors, whose main characteristic was being pack stalkers. I also think there's a wide variety of options for what an actual stalker enemy could be. There's the Mr. X-style "will follow you AND search for your anywhere but designated safezones" kind of enemy, which would definitely be overkill. But you could go in a more limited stalker direction too, one that will notice you between rooms if you make too much of a ruckus, but isn't targeting you per se, and can be distracted by more interesting prey and loud noises. Or just plain can't traverse the environment as well as you, outside wide open corridors and rooms, because it's built for people and not huge predators.

I think the latter could work without being too punishing, and would add an interesting environmental dynamic to the game - you can make as much noise as you want in an engine room, while you'd be encouraged to sneak through silent corridors with hard floors. This would also draw on the same sort of "OK, I definitely hear Mr. X clomping around somewhere nearby, but where??" gameplay as RE2, which was a real strength of that enemy, and making audio cues more important could add a lot to the tension, since it's not as definitive as visual cues.

ImpAtom posted:

The coins are a fairly significant difference especially if you stack them up. And they do take up space.
Yeah, it seems like the actual assumption from the developers is that you buy buffs plus the item slots to carry them in. The value of item slots goes down as you get more of them, so having additional slots on their own isn't worth much - but they do become valuable if you're lugging around a bunch of permanent items in your inventory.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I don't even need a Dino Crisis remake. Just say gently caress it and release a Dino Crisis 4 out of nowhere. It's an easy series to recap: Dinosaurs are back and this one redheaded woman is really pissed about it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
And also maybe she'll finally rescue Dylan and Paula or not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So is a Resistance a bust or should I fire it up again? Played a few rounds and I liked that it mostly felt like RE, but it also just kind of felt like a bloated clusterfuck with a totally insane progression system and I haven't bothered with it since. if it's worth learning I might give it another shot, But I dunno.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thought I recognised that name in the credits, Dr Bard and Milkhail are voiced by Gorman from Aliens.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

veni veni veni posted:

So is a Resistance a bust or should I fire it up again? Played a few rounds and I liked that it mostly felt like RE, but it also just kind of felt like a bloated clusterfuck with a totally insane progression system and I haven't bothered with it since. if it's worth learning I might give it another shot, But I dunno.

Frankly it seems half-broken and totally insane but I still like it so just follow your heart I guess

itry
Aug 23, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

a bloated clusterfuck with a totally insane progression system

The answer is in your post.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I think if you do like Resistance I'd make the most of it now before it inevitably dies.
I've had a poke about the tutorials and tried to do a mission or two in SP to get a feel for it but its really not balanced for solo survivor at all until you know where everything is likely to spawn. (I'm also probably poo poo at it).
I can't really see it lasting longer than a couple of months.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

veni veni veni posted:

I've played about 20 hours and it's been fun. 18 hours has been as survivors and I focused on earning trophies by doing challenges like revive three people with Val's healing spray in one match. I've probably gotten my time out of it now though so I'll probably move on until they do meaningful updates.

Just play as a survivor, and stick with buddies.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Attack power coin really helps you conserve grenade rounds.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Thought I recognised that name in the credits, Dr Bard and Milkhail are voiced by Gorman from Aliens.

:eyepop: whoses firing dammit

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this sounds like bullshit. especially the part about reaching out to Mikami, but,

https://twitter.com/AndyPlaytonic/status/1249347036098551809

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Game is fun as hell and I don't get the hate for it really

It's fun to actually fight a lot and do some legit damage instead of running past everything. Eyeball zombie freaked me out and that fish monster was weird. Parasite part was annoying but creepy and the rooftop fight with Nemesis was intense. Giant rolling head was hilarious. Awesome having exploding barrels back too.

Only complaints are like others said with too many cut scenes and the occasional cheap enemy placement.

Just got to the RCPD and that's pretty great. My son watches me play and got super excited to see that brought over from RE2.

Do we know if any DLC is planned? A randomizer or a Carlos/Jill A/B scenario would at a lot. Even some mercenaries stuff like RE2 had would be fun.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

this sounds like bullshit. especially the part about reaching out to Mikami, but,

:shrug:

Making RE4 with modern graphics would be nice I guess, but what's the point? It still plays so well so if I wanted to play RE4 I'd just play RE4.

People would probably revolt, but I want them to do something entirely different with it. Like gently caress it, actually make the beta version of RE4 where you are stalked by the hook chain guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojtbdcJP6SU&t=238s

gently caress look how good that still looks for being from 200-and-loving-2.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
RE4 with added mechanics like quickshot and melee combos + counters from 6 would own bones

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

site posted:

Lol a 20gb mod thats less than half way through that's taken 5 years to get this far. I'd rather capcom did a remake

I appreciate their hustle though, that's dedication

I hate the monkey paw you just used.

DLC Inc posted:

I really really really don't want a remake of RE4.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think the only thing I want less than a remake of Resident Evil 4 is a remake of Resident Evil 4 that's more like Resident Evil 6.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
if it doesn't make me hammer the poo poo out of my controller to run away from a boulder I'll buy it day one

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the idea that RE4 is absolutely flawless and nothing could be improved upon it, but also you wouldn't want to buy a new version is very weird to me.

i would probably pay full price for a shot for shot remake of RE4 in the new RE engine honestly, there would still be value in not having to worry about future compatibility updates that break it or make it hard to run.

Mr. Maggy posted:

if it doesn't make me hammer the poo poo out of my controller to run away from a boulder I'll buy it day one

yeah having accessibility like that would be great, when i recently replayed RE4 i found that after any boulder section i would have to stop for the day because of pain. that poo poo sucks.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
All the original RE4 voice actors will be recast and it'll be a shame to lose ultra smug Saddler.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
There's some rough patches but RE4 plays so well and has so much content it's hard to believe a remake would be able to equal it, let alone surpass it. They're certainly welcome to try, but the bar is going to be set almost impossibly high.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if it's good, good. if it's bad, then re4 is still perfectly playable on every system known to man. i don't really see why it's something to get worked up over.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I replayed Resident Evil 4 last month and it still holds up so well that a remake seems unnecessary compared to something like CV. That said I would almost certainly buy a 4 remake anyway so Capcom knows what it's doing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Honestly, there just isn't that much to improved about it. I wouldn't mind getting to do more wrestling moves and having better controls, but I'd be more concerned about them loving it up by trying to improve on it than about them getting it right, even if it's just a remake, because let's be real: Resident Evil is one of those "perfect storm" things where everything went just right in a way nobody can quite articulate and that they've been chasing and unable to recreate ever since, which is why Resident Evil 5 and 6 were such messes. They saw people liking the action and decided that all Resident Evil games should be primarily action games - and then it took them until Resident Evil 7 to realize that this was actually not that great of an idea. That's just how game design by committee works.

TOMMY PROVOLONE
Jul 30, 2014

I am the sun. The moon.

I know for a fact that fans will freak if they dare to remove that drat sliding puzzle!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You mean the one that's already solved? :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I mean RE4 isn't perfect and can definitely be improved, but the original game still largely holds up and does so much right that I would be wary of even the RE2 remake team to try it. That this is supposedly being done by the RE3 remake team just gives me no confidence whatsoever, I enjoyed the RE3 remake but it has a lot of pacing problems and cut things that were iconic to RE3 that really shouldn't have been cut for the remake.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I wouldn't mind if the mines part of the castle was cut, that's a real low point for me.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

yeah this might be bullshit. dont take any rumours seriously unless people with proven track records like dusk golem say (even if m-two steamlined openness of re3, its openness was still true early in dev)

m-two are working on another game tho so who knows... gonna be funny given people making GBS threads their pants on re3r.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I wouldn't mind if the mines part of the castle was cut, that's a real low point for me.
I thought the mine cart ride was really fun, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of that final QTE at the end. That was annoying and I failed it so many times.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's some rough patches but RE4 plays so well and has so much content it's hard to believe a remake would be able to equal it, let alone surpass it. They're certainly welcome to try, but the bar is going to be set almost impossibly high.

I coincidentally happen to be doing a playthrough for the first time in a decade. Everything mostly plays fine outside of the bosses but after you get past the initial village stages the combat becomes kind of a trivial slog, just wipe through crowds with the shotgun, collect piles of ammo, repeat. If they could find a way to make the average ganado as threatening as the zombies in remake 2 it'd be a substantial improvement. Still I'd rather they just let rip with an entirely new game in the remake style but it is what it is.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 12, 2020

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I’ll buy the rumored re4 remake if it doesn’t come out before I’m finished with all the rumored sidequests in RE3

Vikar Jerome posted:

(even if m-two steamlined openness of re3, its openness was still true early in dev)

how do you know that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RE4 pretty much holds up perfectly, I don’t know what an update of it would really entail