Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dackel posted:

The combat feels so good now! Up + sword juggle feels great.

Too bad about the audio issues, that *bzzzzt* sound really gets on your nerves

Yeah that's really frustrating, design-wise so far the game has been impeccable, but the technical stuff hasn't been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Does it still have those on-rail escape sequences?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It does. I've already run into two of them. I think I am 20-30 percent into the game. I have not asked Creepy Stalker Guy yet.

They are easy, though.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Two new games I haven't seen talked about on here, that I've played and liked:

THE LONGING

You're a Shade, created by the King of the Underworld to wake him after 400 days of slumber. You're alone(ish) in the massive underground caverns... what do you do?

THE LONGING is an adventure game with a twist. On the one hand, it's a very simple adventure game with some simple puzzles to unlock new areas and new items. On the other... it's a 400 day idle game. The deadline for waking the king passes in real time (whether the game is open or not), so you've got a lot of time to walk around, explore, maybe sit down and contemplate the nature of one small piece of coal within the scope of the universe. Or maybe just sit in a chair and ready Moby Dick to pass the time.

Wildermyth

Wildermyth is a tactical RPG very similar to Gloomhaven - you build a party, and go out and chase down monsters to fight as part of an overall plot. What sets it apart from a bunch of similar tactics RPGs is that a) it's very well done and simple without being simplistic; and b) your party changes and makes decisions and grows older as you move through the plot. Characters have personalities, which drives how they talk in cut scenes, and creates new story hooks for side plots and interactions.

It's still in early access, but it has two playable campaigns so far, and their current roadmap includes two more campaigns and more customization and interactivity for characters.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

skeleton warrior posted:

Wildermyth is a tactical RPG very similar to Gloomhaven - you build a party, and go out and chase down monsters to fight as part of an overall plot. What sets it apart from a bunch of similar tactics RPGs is that a) it's very well done and simple without being simplistic; and b) your party changes and makes decisions and grows older as you move through the plot. Characters have personalities, which drives how they talk in cut scenes, and creates new story hooks for side plots and interactions.

It's still in early access, but it has two playable campaigns so far, and their current roadmap includes two more campaigns and more customization and interactivity for characters.

this looks gameplay wise like exactly what I want but the art style is atrocious

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ketchup vs catsup posted:

this looks gameplay wise like exactly what I want but the art style is atrocious

This exact convo came up last time wildermyth was in the thread. The papercraft style isn't for everyone but the game is fantastic.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Yeah I will echo that same sentiment it looks like a really cool game but not really pumped to stare at what looks like some guys doodles the whole time.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

I've been playing this game, and wondered if anyone else was, I posted about it in general chat but so far nothing.

I'm enjoying it, though I have encountered a few bugs and from checking steam forums I'm not the only one. The dev seems to be quick to respond and is already working on trying to fix everything that's come up so far.

I think I've found most things now and am near an ending, and yeah this game is a lot about waiting, there's things to do but everything takes a long time, best played as an idle game where you do something else while the time passes, though there's definitely a few time sinks where it's hard to idle so be prepared to sink a few real life hours into it if you want to progress faster.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
What are some hidden gems on Apple Arcade? I’m loving What The Golf and started Pinball Wizard and Nightmare Farm, digging both of those so far.

GrimmyD
Jul 31, 2006
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/roundguard/id1484566760 is looking pretty fun!

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Got that one queued up for my flight on Wednesday, along with Cat quest 2!

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Nobody else has mentioned it, and I feel it may end up criminally overlooked, so here's my blurb about Nioh 2 (ps4), which may be the perfect social distancing game of the season.

Take a fast-paced Souls-like with a ton of options for builds, add a Diablo-esque loot system with plenty of room for crafting, tinkering and generally min/maxxing to your heart's content, sprinkle in lots of friendly Co-op action and that's the Nioh series. The first game had a absolute ton of content including an extremely robust NG+/++/etc and Nioh 2 is reportedly no different. Best of all, it's a prequel so who cares if you didn't play the first one? Also, there's a demon pufferfish cats who will follow you around and bump spike-ily into your enemies while charging your special power meter.

It's hard, but not punishingly so, and you can grind past things you're not good enough for by helping other people fight things they're not good enough for (which is totally my jam). Caveat: there's no real PvP so take that as the deal maker or breaker you feel it is.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Merrill Grinch posted:

Nobody else has mentioned it, and I feel it may end up criminally overlooked, so here's my blurb about Nioh 2 (ps4), which may be the perfect social distancing game of the season.

Take a fast-paced Souls-like with a ton of options for builds, add a Diablo-esque loot system with plenty of room for crafting, tinkering and generally min/maxxing to your heart's content, sprinkle in lots of friendly Co-op action and that's the Nioh series. The first game had a absolute ton of content including an extremely robust NG+/++/etc and Nioh 2 is reportedly no different. Best of all, it's a prequel so who cares if you didn't play the first one? Also, there's a demon pufferfish cats who will follow you around and bump spike-ily into your enemies while charging your special power meter.

It's hard, but not punishingly so, and you can grind past things you're not good enough for by helping other people fight things they're not good enough for (which is totally my jam). Caveat: there's no real PvP so take that as the deal maker or breaker you feel it is.

Highly recommend Nioh 1/2, it's Diablo loot-fest with good fast paced gameplay (and co-op). The story, just like Diablo can be completely ignored. Game is divided in small missions so it's perfect to play in little bursts of time

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Merrill Grinch posted:

I enjoyed Nioh 1, until I got to the second zone and it took all my healing pots away and made me do a super annoying level. I ended up stopping there.
Does Nioh 2 do the same thing? Take your healing pots away between zones?

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 19, 2020

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

TwoDayLife posted:

I enjoyed Nioh 1, until I got to the second zone and it took all my healing pots away and made me do a super annoying level. I ended up stopping there.
Does Nioh 2 do the same thing? Take your healing pots away between zones?

That doesn't actually happen in Nioh 1 either, except for that one tutorial level which you have to complete with provided gear and equipment. Once you pass it you're back to normal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Nioh 1 increased your medicine capacity in a given region based on how many of those little green hat guys you managed to find in its mission areas, so if you spent a lot of time searching for them, seeing a sharp drop in your available elixirs after going to a new region would be normal. That shouldn't ever drop you below 3, though. However, you can also just straight-up run out of elixirs, Bloodborne style, because they're an actual item that is kept in your storage and restocked from there when you go to a shrine. You do not get them for free like Estus. Might be that's what happened here.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I think they were talking about how you're forced into one of those dojo missions straight after completing the first map, at least that's how I'm interpreting their post. Or it could be about how your equipment is reset after getting out of London. There's a couple of instances of inventory fuckery now that I think on it further.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
You can buy elixirs at the shrine bazar in Nioh 2 (and you get the currency donating gear at the shrine + xp + elixir/ammo so you don't need to grind)

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Osmosisch posted:

I think they were talking about how you're forced into one of those dojo missions straight after completing the first map, at least that's how I'm interpreting their post. Or it could be about how your equipment is reset after getting out of London. There's a couple of instances of inventory fuckery now that I think on it further.

I should have been more specific.
The game taking my healing limit from 8?->3 in the mines level is what got me to quit.
Losing all the Kodama between zones annoying me to the point where I didn't want to play anyway.
It didn't help that they did it for, what I heard, is one of the worst levels in the game.

So basically the question is does Nioh 2 reset you healing limit between zones like the first one did?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TwoDayLife posted:

The game taking my healing limit from 8?->3 in the mines level is what got me to quit.
Losing all the Kodama between zones annoying me to the point where I didn't want to play anyway.
It didn't help that they did it for, what I heard, is one of the worst levels in the game.

So basically the question is does Nioh 2 reset you healing limit between zones like the first one did?

I just beat the mines and this didn’t happen to me although I did use everything fighting the first boss so I started with 3 elixirs which is the default but by the end of the level I had 8.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TwoDayLife posted:

Oh, riiiight, you're taking about the elixir limit reset. I dunno, I kind of like that, it makes exploration extra rewarding and it's not like you need the high limit until you're at the boss anyway. Yeah, the mines suck though and the boss is a real dick punch. Game gets pretty good again afterwards though.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
The Curious Expedition is a nice 19th century explorer game, and the sequel Curious Expedition 2 is now in the Steam game festival demo event, free to try for a few days. Go check it out.

I've played the original and can recommend it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Iron Danger just came out. The gameplay seems interesting:

quote:

Iron Danger is a tactical combat game with a unique time manipulation mechanic. A never before seen combination that combines the tactical depth of turn-based games with the exciting action of real-time games.

I only played the tutorial so far and it's nice with the mechanic well done, but not enough playtime for a more indepth impression yet.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

SlightlyMad posted:

The Curious Expedition is a nice 19th century explorer game, and the sequel Curious Expedition 2 is now in the Steam game festival demo event, free to try for a few days. Go check it out.

I've played the original and can recommend it.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the demo. I'm a huge fan of The Curious Expedition, I've poured several dozen hours into it. If that is the demo I will be extremely worried as it just seemed like a very early alpha version.

Edit: It is the alpha version. On the one hand, I'm relieved, on the other, I'm disappointed that they chose an alpha as a demonstration of what the full game has to offer.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 28, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the demo. I'm a huge fan of The Curious Expedition, I've poured several dozen hours into it.
Can you explain to me what I'm missing? I own the game and I've played it a few times, but it never seemed to me like it has all that much substance to it. It seems very charming, so I would really like to enjoy it more than I do.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Cardiovorax posted:

Can you explain to me what I'm missing? I own the game and I've played it a few times, but it never seemed to me like it has all that much substance to it. It seems very charming, so I would really like to enjoy it more than I do.

I don't even know if I can explain it myself. It's one of those games where I've invested a lot of time in at once and then not touch for a long while. Now that I've put some thought into it I don't even know myself, I've only gone away with a win because of RNG. I've always thought of it as a nice concept and premise, even though I keep losing I keep coming back despite the RNG.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
The Curious Expedition is a neat little game. I'm sure it's not for everyone's tastes, but I kinda like it. I enjoy the fact you can play a quick round of exploration in between doing other things and the game generates a small emergent story filled with insanity and cannibalism, forbidden cults or other shenanigans.

No opinion yet on the demo for the sequel, sorry. I've been playing other games.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I've had a lot of fond memories with The Curious Expedition. Each run is unique and can easily go in favor of you winning to south real quick, and vice versa. If you make it a bit more personal, and less game-y, a lot of fun can be had.

One of my favorites was a worried wife missing her husband. She mentioned he had gone off on an adventure, much like I was about to, and that she hasn't heard from him in a long time. Months into my journey, I happen to stumble across him, alone and dying, near a mountain pass. I had extra supplies at the time, so I offered him to accompany me along my journey to fame and fortune. The lands became more treacherous over time, filled with tigers, mercenaries, and booby-trapped shrines. Slowly my supplies depleted, and we were all at risk of starving before we could make it home. By this point in time, months had passed and we had found many fortunes, shared stories at camp fires, and overcame many obstacles in our path. I felt a bond forming with this man, since he was an adventurer like me, and hoped to return him to his wife in the end.

However, we crossed paths with a slave trader, and I really needed food for my initial explorer team to survive. I ended up selling the husband for food, and figured a future explorer, such as myself, would scoop him up in the next couple months so :shrug: The worst part is that the need to survive overcame what bond I had with him, and I felt nothing as I sold him. I do still think about him from time to time, slaving away while his wife longs for him at the docks.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Biped is really good. Go play it with your loved one for a shitton of fun and confusion. Best enjoyed if not 100% comfy using analogue sticks for everything.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

haldolium posted:

Biped is really good. Go play it with your loved one for a shitton of fun and confusion. Best enjoyed if not 100% comfy using analogue sticks for everything.

Do you need two copies or is it local coop?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Jarvisi posted:

Do you need two copies or is it local coop?

Venijk
Dec 29, 2007

Osmosisch posted:

Oh, riiiight, you're taking about the elixir limit reset. I dunno, I kind of like that, it makes exploration extra rewarding and it's not like you need the high limit until you're at the boss anyway. Yeah, the mines suck though and the boss is a real dick punch. Game gets pretty good again afterwards though.

You can always just buy elixirs up to 8 from the kodama bazaar. You can get plenty of the rice to trade from giving them junk equipment.

I started buying those along with cannon ammo every death, almost feels likes cheesing some of the sticky non-boss portions of the game.

Edit: Cannons are OP.

Venijk fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 9, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ancient Enemy, the latest game from the people behind Regency Solitaire and Shadowhand is out!

quote:

Ancient Enemy is a strategic RPG card game in which you make interesting tactical decisions as you battle distorted enemies and overcome challenging puzzles. Face a horde of deadly enemies, each one emerging from a world in which evil has already triumphed. You must not only endure, but also rebuild your powers to vanquish evil and fight one last duel against your monstrous nemesis!

Travel through a scarred landscape with dozens of atmospheric levels, draw power from the Earth, and struggle for the soul of the world itself. Test your skills against a host of foes in unique solitaire-style turn-based combat!

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
Dreamscaper is a ARPG/Rougelite game that released a demo a couple days ago. Its got a lot in common with Hades gameplay wise. I'm really enjoying the setting and style of the game, its unlike anything I've played before. It's going into early access this summer so don't expect it to be as complete/feature rich as Hades but what is released so far is very promising. The story is basically you literally fighting your depression/demons in your lucid dreams and one of the bosses of the levels is named Isolation.

Wastid fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 12, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Wastid posted:

Dreamscaper is a ARPG/Rougelite game that released a demo a couple days ago. Its got a lot in common with Hades gameplay wise. I'm really enjoying the setting and style of the game, its unlike anything I've played before. It's going into early access this summer so don't expect it to be as complete/feature rich as Hades but what is released so far is very promising. The story is basically you literally fighting your depression/demons in your lucid dreams and one of the bosses of the levels is named Isolation.

The prologue (demo) is apparently ~5 hours long. Will definitely check it out.

I'm not a fan of early-access, but I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Wastid posted:

Nice idea but combat is just floaty and boring. It's very far away from the fast and precise gameplay of Hades.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Wastid posted:

Whoa an indie game about having depression? Very Fresh.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I am exhausted about games about depression, unless they do it in a cool or funny way, ala Disco Elysium.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Anyone going to be playing the Sentinels of Freedom game when it releases later today?

Superheroes meet X-com seems to be definitely this board's thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/812870/Sentinels_of_Freedom/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

SirFozzie posted:

Anyone going to be playing the Sentinels of Freedom game when it releases later today?

Superheroes meet X-com seems to be definitely this board's thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/812870/Sentinels_of_Freedom/

I might check that one out, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Old World seems like it might have interesting aspects to it. 4X - strategy in some ways similar to Civilization games combined with building a dynasty like in Crusader Kings 2. It's in early access on Epic Games store, due to be released later this year. Note to self; keeping an eye on this one.

Oh look, somebody just made a thread for the Old World:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920273

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 16, 2020