Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jose posted:

Who is it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijof8uw4OHs

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Thanks, I thought it was Dexter's sister

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I thought it was Megan Boone

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Also, wife is a paramedic. She took a video on shift today driving through the streets and its like no one is self isolating at all - looks like any other day :(

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Angelwolf posted:

Also, wife is a paramedic. She took a video on shift today driving through the streets and its like no one is self isolating at all - looks like any other day :(

LOL the uk is well on track to becoming the worst affected country in Europe but at least grandma got out to the shops for a chat and her daily mail fix eh

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Angelwolf posted:

from how it looks here it seems people are trying to distance when they’re outside but they’re kind of at a loss as to what to do, so you see a bunch of people in the street and in the parks because they’ve been told it’s ok to go to those places within limits. if the government wants to truly get a handle on this they probably need to do an italy-style lockdown with more stringent measures.

i think the current lockdown is starting to have an effect; hospital admissions are down which will likely translate into reduced deaths within a week, and deaths in london are down (it started applying some closures before the rest of the country).

i think the only way you truly get a handle on this is through mass community testing to see who does have the virus and contact tracing, both of which the government has proven a consummate gently caress up at rolling out

remember that there’s an average 23 day timelag between exposure and death; the 980 (980!) people who died the day before yesterday were more than likely exposed while the government was still saying ‘yeah you can still go to the pub, honest!’. the people in the highest echelons of power on this need to be held accountable when this is all over for their (charitably) criminal negligence. johnson dying in that hospital would have been a fitting punishment

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

the people in the highest echelons of power on this need to be held accountable when this is all over for their (charitably) criminal negligence.

they do

how, though

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

they do

how, though

there’ll be an inquiry which will be completely inconsequential, and the media will gladly oblige in covering this poo poo up. only hope is people coming together and demanding restitution. considering this is the only country in the world to have a revolution and then take it back i’m skeptical of this, but perhaps people will feel differently once they have relatives in bodybags.

perhaps we just get through this by clapping for the NHS and, in the inimitable british way, recount a period of misery punctuated by tragedy through the medium of complaining ineffectually in the pub. idk, jury’s out

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I had to go out of my apartment to see if the delivery has arrived and it seemed like just another day in London. People in their fancy biking attire, people sitting next to each other by a brick wall and chatting, lots of people walking on the street etc. Maybe I was too sensitive about it after a month of straight-up bunkering it but I can't dare to go to the local park with weather being this good.

We have two friends sending us pictures of Piccadilly Circus and posting it all over the Instagram (gotta get that "London is eerie during lockdown" likes, I guess) which is kinda infuriating when they say "Oh we were just getting our daily exercise" while clearly being "well, I deserve this as long as other people are being responsible". I dunno, now that other hipster idiots will see those pictures and think that "Oh, imma get some of that quarantine pics for some sick gram cred" and it will never end.

I dunno man, this poo poo is driving me crazy fast and I don't know what's what anymore.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 11, 2020

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

the uncontrollable British urge to make the most of any kind of unseasonably warm weather will be our downfall

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Generic Monk posted:

considering this is the only country in the world to have a revolution and then take it back

I mean, have you heard of France? They changed their mind about their previous revolution and revolted again like 4 times.

Also I don't think there will be a meaningful inquiry under the Tories. They obviously aren't going to set one up to inquire into themselves and their failings in a meaningful way.

I reckon it will be like when New Labour came to power and they established inquiries into a bunch of historic stuff the Tories did. It will be long enough ago that it basically has no meaningful consequences for anyone.

Reuters has already done a pretty good investigatory piece into basically what the gently caress happened in the UK in the early stages, and it seems their conclusion is actually blame lies at the door at the medical and scientific advisors primarily, but Boris and the government did little to question them.

Personally I honestly think putting all this on the front page of the news in this country right now isn't helpful. People already are scared and panicking, I think our government and its advisors have hosed this up but we need to go through all that after the fact. I don't think there's much good in that now.

The thing I think does need to happen is more pressure on the things that are happening now, rather than what's already happened. Alistair Campbell did a great article with 29 questions he would ask if he was in the press briefings. They are all obviously a bit aggressive but even if you toned them down a bit it hits the same beats the press should be hitting but aren't.

Simple questions like "Where are we against the target you said for testing/ventilators/PPE" aren't being asked, and the press ate making the mistake of asking multiple questions at once which let's the politicians focus on the questions they prefer.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
the boring part of the chesterfield canal/rother valley old railway track runs behind our estate the small car parks are rammed and it’s full of miserable unfit middle aged men in combat shorts wobbling along on their teenage son’s bikes. I was basically channeling that “who is she, who is she!” lass off of big brother while my spaniels looked at me like “why we on lead, we bad dogs now ☹️?” No my loves the middle classes have all decide that Renishaw of all places is the happening place to be.

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.
^Sounds awful. But I hope your spaniels still had a good time. :)

I went shopping this morning. The supermarket has an hour between 08:00 and 09:00 exclusively for NHS workers and pensioners etc and I've no problem with that. I wait until about 10:00 because that's when they start selling booze that gives the staff time to restock the shelves. Today there can't have been more than half a dozen other shoppers. Where are they all? Still in bed? Forming a convoy to a party or family gathering or somewhere that's mobbed?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I walked my dog through Victoria Park this morning, and it didn’t seem too bad. No groups of people larger than 3, cops and enforcement guys everywhere, and only two adult cyclists (no one over 12 is allowed to cycle there at the moment) who were roundly jeered and called wankers by people as they rode by. 388 bus was empty from Hackney Wick to Mare Street. Also are people eating more meat or something, the queue for Ginger Pig in Lauriston Village reaches the Victoria Park gate :stare:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Generic Monk posted:

there’ll be an inquiry which will be completely inconsequential, and the media will gladly oblige in covering this poo poo up. only hope is people coming together and demanding restitution. considering this is the only country in the world to have a revolution and then take it back i’m skeptical of this, but perhaps people will feel differently once they have relatives in bodybags.

perhaps we just get through this by clapping for the NHS and, in the inimitable british way, recount a period of misery punctuated by tragedy through the medium of complaining ineffectually in the pub. idk, jury’s out

the 1918 flu pandemic is the reason the ministry of health even exists. i am absolutely sure this pandemic will result in changes

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeah every butcher/cheesemonger/whatever I've seen has big queues. I dunno if people are trying to avoid the stress of getting the whole weeks shop done at the supermarket in one go or if they're trying to support their smaller local businesses.

I did a beer drop to a decently sized organic shop yesterday. Parked at their back door, went round to the front and asked if I could go through the back door straight to their storeroom and the guy was all good with it. Then when I'd made the fourth and final trip (bottleshops etc orders are like 3x bigger than usual these days) the manager asked me to move it directly to the shelf and looked surprised when I refused.

'But you normally do it!'
Yeah dude there isnt normally a pandemic and I cant keep my distance from your customers, bye.

Also: heard on BBC radio that 9 london bus drivers have died to covid and I find that really upsetting. I know NHS workers dont sign up for risking their lives but they do expect to see some serious poo poo. Bus drivers just wanna clock in and get the day done without too much abuse, not catch a loving virus and die.

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.

el dingo posted:

Yeah every butcher/cheesemonger/whatever I've seen has big queues. I dunno if people are trying to avoid the stress of getting the whole weeks shop done at the supermarket in one go or if they're trying to support their smaller local businesses.

I did a beer drop to a decently sized organic shop yesterday. Parked at their back door, went round to the front and asked if I could go through the back door straight to their storeroom and the guy was all good with it. Then when I'd made the fourth and final trip (bottleshops etc orders are like 3x bigger than usual these days) the manager asked me to move it directly to the shelf and looked surprised when I refused.

'But you normally do it!'
Yeah dude there isnt normally a pandemic and I cant keep my distance from your customers, bye.

Also: heard on BBC radio that 9 london bus drivers have died to covid and I find that really upsetting. I know NHS workers dont sign up for risking their lives but they do expect to see some serious poo poo. Bus drivers just wanna clock in and get the day done without too much abuse, not catch a loving virus and die.

I understand what you mean about the bus drivers, it's certainly upsetting - guys (and women) going out to do a simple but vital job and losing their life as a result. Kind of how I feel about people working in shops; the staff working hard to keep shelves full with whatever is in stock, politely (such patience) reminding customers about adhering to the rules about distance, dealing with greetin' faced bastards who don't seem to grasp that they can't get exactly what they want whenever they want it, and all the while exposing themselves to the virus.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

learnincurve posted:

miserable unfit middle aged men in combat shorts wobbling along on their teenage son’s bikes

The term you're looking for is mamil

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Torquemada posted:

I walked my dog through Victoria Park this morning, and it didn’t seem too bad. No groups of people larger than 3, cops and enforcement guys everywhere, and only two adult cyclists (no one over 12 is allowed to cycle there at the moment) who were roundly jeered and called wankers by people as they rode by. 388 bus was empty from Hackney Wick to Mare Street. Also are people eating more meat or something, the queue for Ginger Pig in Lauriston Village reaches the Victoria Park gate :stare:

We did a walk from 11 to 12 and I'm surprised how well behaved everyone was

Did see some cyclists getting shouted at, similar to you

Missed that queue at the Ginger Pig. loving hell, folk planning a big Easter Sunday lunch probably

Is Bottle Apostle still open, do you know

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Amphigory posted:

Missed that queue at the Ginger Pig. loving hell, folk planning a big Easter Sunday lunch probably

Is Bottle Apostle still open, do you know

I don’t know what the ginger pig is, but people are buying more meat because it’s good enough weather for BBQs and it’s a bank holiday weekend, which is still meaningful to those of use who’re working.

I’ve had 3 in the last week alone, just cause it’s nice to be outside.

Edit: an => a

wooger fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 11, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Think so yes, unless the Bank Holiday is upsetting their hours?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

wooger posted:

I don’t know what the ginger pig is, but people are buying more meat because it’s good enough weather for BBQs and it’s a bank holiday weekend, which is still meaningful to those of use who’re working.

I’ve had 3 in the last week alone, just cause it’s nice to be outside.

Edit: an => a

You bastards with gardens

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lot less fuss to use a George Forman grill anyway.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

blackgreywhite posted:

I understand what you mean about the bus drivers, it's certainly upsetting - guys (and women) going out to do a simple but vital job and losing their life as a result. Kind of how I feel about people working in shops; the staff working hard to keep shelves full with whatever is in stock, politely (such patience) reminding customers about adhering to the rules about distance, dealing with greetin' faced bastards who don't seem to grasp that they can't get exactly what they want whenever they want it, and all the while exposing themselves to the virus.

I am being extremely polite, friendly and thankful to the postman, couriers, check-out staff, etc. at this time.

I'm usually pretty courteous anyway, but I am making an extra effort.

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.

Shut up Meg posted:

I am being extremely polite, friendly and thankful to the postman, couriers, check-out staff, etc. at this time.

I'm usually pretty courteous anyway, but I am making an extra effort.

Good stuff. That's to your credit. I know if any lf those were my jobs I'd appreciate it.

Imagine how many hands a letter passes through before it reaches your postie putting it through your letterbox? I know my postman's name and so put a simple note in my window thanking him.
Political and social differences aside, we're all in this together.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wave at bus drivers and give them the thumbs up and they give a thumbs up back, only one bus going round and round in our area so they don’t even get to do the bus driver wave to each other thing anymore poor sods.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Remember to wear your PPE when shopping folks, even when you stop for a snack

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.

learnincurve posted:

I wave at bus drivers and give them the thumbs up and they give a thumbs up back, only one bus going round and round in our area so they don’t even get to do the bus driver wave to each other thing anymore poor sods.

That's it. Despite some parts of the UK viewing a smile or "Hi mate" from a stranger as suspicious, it can make a positive difference to people. And it costs f. all. Like I say, we're all in this together and a moment's acknowledgement of someone can last them all day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the bbq talk inspired me to go get a disposable one from sainsburys and stuff to go with it mostly because its my birthday tomorrow and the weather is going to be poo poo so i'll do it today

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Out in the N. Yorkshire boonies people seem to be following the lockdown still. Only the odd family out for a walk for their once a day exercise, otherwise people seem to be taking advantage of the weather to wash the car and do gardening (all day there has been a constant drone of lawn mowers / strimmers).

Lolie posted:

There seems to be a real gap in the messaging both here and in the UK.

Most people here seem to be aware of the "don't leave home unless it's for one of these reasons" message, but they also seem to be trying to cram as much as possible into trips outside the home instead of keeping those outings as short as possible and going to the minimum number of places necessary to accomplish their essential business. "I'm already out anyway so I will just..." is a dangerous strategy.

Passed a certain point no amount of messaging is going to suddenly give people common sense. I've seen old ladies where I live doing similar, and they have no excuse. It's rural and all the local farm shops / butchers / etc. are doing next day home delivery for the elderly if they call and ask. A few of the farm shops have turned themselves into mini-supermarkets as well, they've started stocking everything from baked beans and uncle bens rice to toilet paper and fairy liquid.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
They should send all the non-conformist idiots to a caravan park in Grimsby until the lockdown is over

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
It got Tim Brooke-Taylor :smith:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Boris just got released from the hospital to go back home.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's loose!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Amphigory posted:

Do you get chocolate eggs for Easter in yankland

Nope, not like we do. When I lived there I bought imported ones at vast expense.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

What is it with Americans and chocolate :(

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they prefer their brown vomit-goo

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Went out to my Turkish market to get some groceries and boy it seems like everyone is out of fucks to give about social distancing and quarantine. Burgess Park was packed with people just reading books on the benches, doing yoga and running in groups. There was a long line in front of Tesco and everything else was closed, still too many people out there.

The weather in London is amazing today which makes me all :smith: about things but I have a backlog of Infinity Engine games (BG 1&2, IWD 1&2, PS:T) and my gf made an amazing minted lamb with roast potatoes.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Amphigory posted:

What is it with Americans and chocolate :(

We have ALDI too, so there’s plenty of cheap German quality chocolate to be had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the london weather is phenomenal and alllll of lambeth's out enjoying it

it's fine i'm sure there's nothing to wo