Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had that happen recently too, first time for me though, went through a gate and came out in the middle of the next sector like 200km away from the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

It's why I consider the cheat script essential for QoL modding, you can get out of annoying situations like that real easy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

With a few mods installed this game really does get cool. The scale plate pact sent a pretty serious fleet to plunder my HQ, fortunately I'd covered the thing in guns while building it so they only blew up a couple of modules. But the result was quite satisfying:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 12, 2020

timn
Mar 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

With a few mods installed this game really does get cool.

What faction/war related mods besides VRO are you using?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm using Faction Enhancer with the war and economic AI modules. The war one I think is what makes the SCA do proportional raids relative to the size of your stations.

I also am using the new fire effects mod which is a little rough but I like the extra smoke even if the particles z fight with each other a little bit.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1672198487

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2055992841

Be aware though that since the DLC there's a bug that makes the game duplicate a load of stations if you load certain combinations of mods with certain tags enabled in them. I haven't had a problem running VRO, Faction Enhancer war and economic AI, and the fire effects mod. But the faction enhancer catchup module apparently doesn't play nice (which is a shame cos it's good) and also it's highly subjective.

Also be aware that this combination has lead the xenon to almost wipe out the FRF, most of the Hewa's Twin branch right back to Paranid territory, and they're currently pushing through the gate at Profit Center Alpha from Two Grand so you're in for a fight :v:

E: Uh, actually... the xenon have wiped out almost all of the split, zyarth's loving dead, they control the entire north of the map except for some holdouts at the far west and east.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 12, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, so, you know how it seems that you can hire a captain/crewmate for your fighters? Well, do they actually DO anything, or perhaps gain experience by tagging along with you? Or are they only useful for taking over when you're in another ship, or in your spacesuit?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, so, you know how it seems that you can hire a captain/crewmate for your fighters? Well, do they actually DO anything, or perhaps gain experience by tagging along with you? Or are they only useful for taking over when you're in another ship, or in your spacesuit?

Captains don't do anything if they're not flying, otherwise they get stuffed into a cargo cube and cease to exist until you need them to fly the ship. They also don't really get much XP unless they're fighting, and even then not much either. You probably want to mod it to increase XP gain.

Service crew repair the ship very slowly, though it's only really noticeable on M and L/XL sized craft, though L/XL sized craft have so many crew it's actually very important and the vast numbers of hitpoints they repair means they rank up very quickly and give the ship pretty great hull regen.

Also they don't completely repair the ship, I think it's tied to skill level, but they'll definitely repair a lot of damage especially on large ships.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Captains don't do anything if they're not flying, otherwise they get stuffed into a cargo cube and cease to exist until you need them to fly the ship. They also don't really get much XP unless they're fighting, and even then not much either. You probably want to mod it to increase XP gain.

Service crew repair the ship very slowly, though it's only really noticeable on M and L/XL sized craft, though L/XL sized craft have so many crew it's actually very important and the vast numbers of hitpoints they repair means they rank up very quickly and give the ship pretty great hull regen.

Also they don't completely repair the ship, I think it's tied to skill level, but they'll definitely repair a lot of damage especially on large ships.

Hmm, ok then, that's interesting. So could I have a service crewmember on my fighter, to give them a little bit of experience before moving them to another vessel later on, where they'll actually matter? Or are fighters 'captain only'?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No, fighters have service crew too but they're like, two or three dudes. The main reason to have them is honestly so you can use them as marines instead and launch them at abandoned ships to claim them, save you doing it yourself. Service crew and marines use the same space on your ship so if you set your crew up as marines then you can use the claim command from your pilot seat and it'll fire off a little boarding pod to claim a ship for you. Real convenient. You can also assign them between service crew and marines mid flight from the ship info screen.

There's no reason to train service crew on anything but a large ship (or a constructor, construction work also builds service crew skill and I believe is influenced by it too, better crew means faster build speed I think?) Because they level up really fast there and you can train hundreds at a time. Nothing else comes close to that crew complement and it doesn't even matter that much how good they are, the quantity does the bulk of the work.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 12, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

My crewmen keep pushing me into the ship’s geometry or between their chair and cockpit.:allears:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Hello there.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright well, I bought and outfitted a Nodan (I love how quick and nimble it is, with Mk2 engines and thrusters!) and hired a Teladi co-pilot/-captain called Gant, for short. (No way am I remembering his full name)
He's not very good at his job yet, but I plan on up-skilling him and always having him as my co-pilot, in my main ship. Although, can I get him to take over and fly to a specific station/waypoint, with me standing around/AFK in the back? Or will he only fly on his own if I'm out of the ship?

Also, thanks for the suggestion regarding service crew - I think I'll splash out a little more on my ship engineer, (compared to the 7k I spent on my co-pilot :v: ) to get someone who can fix the ship, board other ships, and then fly them back to stations to sell. (Actually, what happens if I sell a ship with an AI pilot? Will they bugger off, or stick around to keep working for me?)

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Has anyone done the Split plot in the expansion? I was at the point where I seemingly had a choice as to which faction to work for, but I only had a mission to continue working for the Free Families. Is that intended?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

The guy says to meet him back on the funeral ship (iirc) if you want to help the patriarchy instead.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

chglcu posted:

The guy says to meet him back on the funeral ship (iirc) if you want to help the patriarchy instead.

Thanks, I was only halfway paying attention to Dal because I figured I'd get a separate mission I could set as active.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Alright well, I bought and outfitted a Nodan (I love how quick and nimble it is, with Mk2 engines and thrusters!) and hired a Teladi co-pilot/-captain called Gant, for short. (No way am I remembering his full name)
He's not very good at his job yet, but I plan on up-skilling him and always having him as my co-pilot, in my main ship. Although, can I get him to take over and fly to a specific station/waypoint, with me standing around/AFK in the back? Or will he only fly on his own if I'm out of the ship?

Also, thanks for the suggestion regarding service crew - I think I'll splash out a little more on my ship engineer, (compared to the 7k I spent on my co-pilot :v: ) to get someone who can fix the ship, board other ships, and then fly them back to stations to sell. (Actually, what happens if I sell a ship with an AI pilot? Will they bugger off, or stick around to keep working for me?)

If you get out of the chair he'll sit in it and take over control, at which point you can order the ship like any other AI controlled ship. Just stand behind him and breathe down his neck while he flies about.

Generally if the ship has orders it will generate a "wait for confirmation" order when you get out of the chair so you want to right click it and then "proceed with current orders" to tell it to resume what it was doing.

You don't need any actual skill to board abandoned ships, boarding skill it for like, hostile boarding against crewed ships and you need shitloads of crew for that. Basically you need to drown the enemy in bodies if you want to capture a ship cos you only learn it by doing it. it's the sort of thing you launch your entire carrier's service crew to do. Also again don't bother spending money on trained engineers, for small ships they're near useless and for large ships they will learn it quickly and en-masse. The only thing really to spend money on are pilots and managers and even then I wouldnt spend like the several hundred million a 5 star pilot costs or whatever.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 12, 2020

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Not much of a spoiler, but post contains minor detail of Split plot.
I have a fun bug. I made one of the slaves I freed during the Split plot pilot of the chimera I was in. When I docked at Argon wharf to buy a blueprint he left my ship, I suppose to return home from slavery. However the game still considers him to be the pilot, so now I have an empty chair flying me around.

Nicodemus Dumps fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 12, 2020

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Are those the slaves that show up in that cutscene in the one Xenon system? Because they kinda flew into the side of a Xenon frigate and died.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Taerkar posted:

Are those the slaves that show up in that cutscene in the one Xenon system? Because they kinda flew into the side of a Xenon frigate and died.

Haha no, haven't had to go into a xenon system for any plot yet

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Taerkar posted:

I believe it is a scripted event that occurs whenever you discover a Jumpgate to a new Split sector - it doesn't have to just be that Xenon one.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

In the station designer holo-map, is there anyway I can "move down" with my camera? Like, I seem to be fixed around a mid-point and so zooming in is the only thing I can do to get lower or higher to snap points if I'm building above and below the galactic plane.

It's honestly making it really annoying and I'd like to 'untether' my camera and have full free roam.

I mean christ will this game just let me make an enormous borg cube already

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 13, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can rotate the camera by holding down... right click i think?

Or is it middle click? There's a button for it, not sure if you can then pan the camera down if you're viewing it from the side. That's how you move stuff below the center though, you rotate the camera down so you're looking side on, then you can move stuff up and down.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey so, what's the deal with data leaks? Since they're just those sparking things on the exteriors of stations, right?
Since I have a Hatikvah mission for Dal Busto (or whatever his name is) called 'snooping around', where I need to scan a data leak on a Scale Plate station, so that a computer worm can be inserted into their systems. But uh, I think I've scanned 3-4 data leaks across two stations (space weed farm and their main station, both in one of the Silent Witness sectors) and there don't seem to be any options to progress. Do any of you recall what you needed to do, to get past this?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

I scanned their trading station in one of the Grand Exchange sectors. I only had to do one, but I think it was the kind that looks like radiating waves rather than the one that looks like sparks.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Hey so, what's the deal with data leaks? Since they're just those sparking things on the exteriors of stations, right?
Since I have a Hatikvah mission for Dal Busto (or whatever his name is) called 'snooping around', where I need to scan a data leak on a Scale Plate station, so that a computer worm can be inserted into their systems. But uh, I think I've scanned 3-4 data leaks across two stations (space weed farm and their main station, both in one of the Silent Witness sectors) and there don't seem to be any options to progress. Do any of you recall what you needed to do, to get past this?

As I recall, this specifically needs to be one of the glowing red ball type leaks and not the electricity looking ones.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ohhh, OK thanks for that. Are they still basically the same, aside from that? i.e. looking like it's coming from a damaged socket of some sort? (And I take it I can do it all from within my ship, right? No funky suit-only business I assume?)

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
You can also fire an EMP bomb at at the station rom your space suit (I think you get a bomb launcher for free on the next quest if you don't already have one).
Detonate the EMP bomb and it'll generate 4 glowing red ball data leaks.
I dont know if these will actually count for the quest or not, but worth a try. Its also how you steal the module blueprints if you have the relevant research.
Just FYI the station will get pissed at you for 10 mins, but you can just fly away after you've scanned the leak and it will go back to normal

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yeah don't waste your time with that quest. Just EMP it. That's how I've done it twice now so much easier than looking for a random leak.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Darkhold posted:

Yeah don't waste your time with that quest. Just EMP it. That's how I've done it twice now so much easier than looking for a random leak.

You can also start the ship modes tutorial to spawn what you need on the station.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Further adventures in mods that are sort of cheaty but excellent for quality of life: signal link hunter is wonderful and still works perfectly in the latest version despite not being updated since the game's release. It won't guarantee any given station spawns with the leaks you want, but when it does you will have absolutely zero fuss finding it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I went with the rebalance, xr ships and faction mods, and while it’s too early too say much about them (initially they seem great), the no highways mod is superb. X needs space and time for fleets to move and the superhighways are breaking this balance for me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The no highways mod is an interesting one yeah, though for some weird reason capital ships still really like going backwards through the gates even with the highway out of the way. Sometimes they go forwards but not often, I'm not sure if it's related to piloting rank.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It also threw me from Hewa’s Twin V to 15000 km away from the center of Hewa’s Twin III and I had to slowboat. It’s to be expected, though this reminds me I also need to grab that one mod that stops poo poo spawning far away from sector centers. Also switching to a 2080 from 970 and this’ll be the first game I ultra :blastu:.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The no highways mod is an interesting one yeah, though for some weird reason capital ships still really like going backwards through the gates even with the highway out of the way. Sometimes they go forwards but not often, I'm not sure if it's related to piloting rank.

My five star in everything pilot is doing this at every drat gate in the destroyer I just bought.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there a patch that enables achievements and mods the same way like Fallout 4 has a drop-in DLL for that?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I got achievements with a modded game?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
the modified tag just stops the official Ventures from being able to be launched. (Although, of course, others ships can come and fart about in your space, aka, be loot pinata's with a "make ventures enemies" mod)
My games from GoG, and I seem to have the cheevo's they list, despite playing 98% of the time in a modded game.

I pared down my mods a bit for a ng+ also, scaleplate now use split stuff in scpuseall,

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

I bought this on Friday and it deleted my Easter weekend. Really enjoying it and managed to get some miners going, mostly mining silicon, but I have 4 nividium miners crashing the prices wherever I end up manually sending them (since I haven't found a sector containing both nividium and a station that buys it yet). I've built a dock for my PHQ but haven't docked at it yet, as I've been having too much fun farting around PAR space in one of their fighters - a Perseus I think? I also really like the look of Split ships so I might potter over to Free Families space and work on getting the rep for their fancier stuff. Is it cool to do this before I start the DLC storyline? Should I do them simultaneously? I've also encountered only a handful of Xenon, who as of yet don't appear to be the apocalypse incarnate for my game. How long does it typically take for them to ramp/ require player intervention to keep NPC factions alive and available for me to economically oppress?

staberind posted:

I pared down my mods a bit for a ng+ also, scaleplate now use split stuff in scpuseall,

I'm considering getting the xp/ crew mods you listed, just because I've been wanting to automate a trader I bought yesterday evening - and found out I need a 3* pilot for it. I wouldn't mind except I can't seem to find seminars for higher than 1* in the wild, and I would rather not have to go on a mission egg-hunt for better seminars every time I want a new trader (because I always want new traders). I'm guessing you'd recommend these mods for drustrations of this ilk?

At some point I will be taking a look at the XR ship pack etc 'cause I'm a total capship slut - how seamlessly can these be added to an existing game (or removed should egosoft decide to add the ships themselves)?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Higher tier seminars I believe only really happen as quest rewards, an XP mod is a good idea I think.

I also want to point out that sector resources are actually a little odd, a resource probe does not tap into some sort of stats for the resource belt it's in, it actually literally looks around itself and measures what's nearby.

Unless resource zones have random contents, therefore, I believe all sectors with a nividium trading station also include nividum asteroids either in the local zone or within the same cluster (i.e, within all three of the subsectors in Grand Exchange or in the case of Hatikvah's Choice which doesn't have any rocks in the highway area, they will be in the sector linked north by the superhighway with the argon equipment dock in it) but they will be hard for you to locate. Your miners, however, should find them fine if you set them to sector mine, and they will also sell it too.

This also applies to gases, weirdly. Different parts of a gas belt will often have different resources in them, which autominers will find even if you can't.

You can totally get rep with FRF before you do the storyline and I'd recommend it as split ships are some of the best in the game. The Xenon can vary, they have the capability to become extremely dangerous but in vanilla they are usually not that dangerous especially if you have the split expansion installed which surrounds the northern sectors.

Be aware though that the split military is a bit weird in that the FRF don't have a proper one and the ZYA have an occupying force in their territory, and are spread pretty thin in general. The AI also really likes killing itself trying to convoy through xenon space so you might find that the split start to suffer over time and you might need to step in.

It's hard to give concrete numbers really cos the game genuinely just is simulated, you might get a lucky attack force that crushes the xenon or they might do the same and suddenly the teladi are pushed out of their northern and eastern sectors. It all depends how the various fleets end up going over the course of the game.

There's also a bit of a problem where xenon Is are absolutely insane in the out of sector calculations, so they will literally delete entire fleets by themselves without taking damage, so if the xenon start deploying those you might find the AI starts losing fights badly. They're fearsome ships to be sure but they are a bit broken if you're not physically there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Thanks, I'll grab some crew xp mods and set my nividium miners going in those sectors you mentioned whilst I work on FRF rep. I'll keep an eye out for snowballing Xenon so I can watch the fireworks if it starts to get real. I'm hoping to have some kind of competent military force set up for myself before things really get going though - and maybe the ability to bolster ship output for the good guys with economic wizardry.