Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Sounds like the NCAA is going to pass a one-time transfer waiver so that any athlete in any sport can transfer without sitting out a year.

It’s a rare good move for them but wow is it also going to be chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/1249367737232695301

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Probably Magic posted:

It would've been, like, Wisconsin or someone, and been boring. We're better off pretending someone cooler won. Like known underdogs Kansas Jayhawks.

You can eat my whole rear end

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1249437593072107520?s=19

If Terry and Spencer Jones go back Stanford is gonna be awesome next year

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Mizzou misses out on its best hope for an interesting year next season with Justin Turner staying at BGSU. Looking like another lost year for Tigers basketball (unless the miraculous happens and Josh Christopher chooses Mizzou)!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Devon Dotson going pro.

What could have been

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Mike_V posted:

Mizzou misses out on its best hope for an interesting year next season with Justin Turner staying at BGSU. Looking like another lost year for Tigers basketball (unless the miraculous happens and Josh Christopher chooses Mizzou)!

I think he’ll go to Arizona State to play with his brother after this COVID-19 stuff

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

I think he’ll go to Arizona State to play with his brother after this COVID-19 stuff

Yeah, Mizzou has been out of the running for months, I guess he just keeps them in the conversation because his cousin is a strength and conditioning coach or something.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, Josh Christopher committed to ASU and Isaiah Todd decommitted from Michigan to turn pro. Welp!

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah, Josh Christopher committed to ASU and Isaiah Todd decommitted from Michigan to turn pro. Welp!

Howard has his work cut out for him.

Brutal 12 hours.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
A number of universities are starting to have conversations, mostly still quiet ones, about not bringing students back in the Fall or having in person classes until 2021. Strong likelihood those conversations get a lot louder over the next month.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

elentar posted:

A number of universities are starting to have conversations, mostly still quiet ones, about not bringing students back in the Fall or having in person classes until 2021. Strong likelihood those conversations get a lot louder over the next month.

it’s looking like september is the earliest possible time for things to go back to “normal” (assuming everyone follows quarantine guidelines until then which, uh, yeah)

i think a shorter college season (maybe conference only play plus tournaments followed by march madness) is the best case scenario

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s looking like september is the earliest possible time for things to go back to “normal” (assuming everyone follows quarantine guidelines until then which, uh, yeah)

i think a shorter college season (maybe conference only play plus tournaments followed by march madness) is the best case scenario

The mayor of New Orleans came out yesterday and said to scrap plans for anything happening in 2020 and plan for 2021, instead. And with tourism being the city's main thing, that's pretty telling.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’ve seen some people float having college football in spring 2021 instead of this fall, wonder if they would try to run it concurrently with basketball if that’s the case. Football is obviously the bigger money maker.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Schremp Howard posted:

I’ve seen some people float having college football in spring 2021 instead of this fall, wonder if they would try to run it concurrently with basketball if that’s the case. Football is obviously the bigger money maker.

Yeah I would think they'd just try to do both at the same time. They're going to do everything they possibly can to have a football season. I'm sure outdoor games in the Big Ten in like February 2021 will be fun.

College football probably skews pretty hard toward the "this is all overblown, it's just the flu, you pussies" crowd but it's still hard to imagine people being comfortable cramming into stadiums in big numbers until there's a vaccine.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 15, 2020

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I'm assuming empty stadiums will be the norm for a while after they start playing again, just in general across sports. how long a while is, well that's a good question. guess we'll find out

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Schremp Howard posted:

I assume it would be something like April to June, but then you have the issue of only a month or two of rest before the Fall 2021 season begins. 24 games of D1 football in a calendar year is a lot and there will be a ton of injuries if they try it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

college football could benefit from the 'conference games only' model we're discussing for basketball here, get rid of some of the cupcake games (and further gently caress with small schools' academics I suppose, since they wouldn't kill the football team when the football team doesn't make money...) and let the brain splattering happen against conference opponents only. too bad the conferences are so bloated these days

of course we'd lose national treasures like that Chick-fil-A season opener game, but sacrifices must be made

the prognosticators would have lots of angry fun trying to figure out who the gently caress is good in both sports

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Konstantin posted:

I assume it would be something like April to June, but then you have the issue of only a month or two of rest before the Fall 2021 season begins. 24 games of D1 football in a calendar year is a lot and there will be a ton of injuries if they try it.

They’ll have to shift the next couple of seasons out as well otherwise, as you said, injuries and liability.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1250801648059940864?s=19

Green shouldn't be 1 over Cunningham but he's still easily the most high profile guy to go this route. Seems like it's only going to get more popular until the NBA finally lifts the age limit, though if I were him I would have gone to the NBL instead of the g-league. There are definitely some exposure/branding benefits to playing college but really if you can get paid for a year why not do it? Most of the guys who have haven't been hurt in terms of their draft stock much. If anything I think going overseas might actually be safer because if you underacheive you can just use the fact that you were playing against much older professionals to explain it away. If RJ Hampton had put up the numbers at KU that he did in the NBL he probably wouldn't be potential lottery pick right now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like the sad fact is that 90% or more of all potential lottery picks fall in drafts after playing a year in college. But maybe that's just because there has only been like one player at the college I root for that has elevated his stock in one year, and that person is Noted Freak Joel Embiid

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

kiimo posted:

I feel like the sad fact is that 90% or more of all potential lottery picks fall in drafts after playing a year in college. But maybe that's just because there has only been like one player at the college I root for that has elevated his stock in one year, and that person is Noted Freak Joel Embiid

i think it’s fairly common for guys to play themselves from the top 10 to a no doubt top 3/first overall pick (zion, kat)

embiid was unprecedented but i’ve also never seen another basketball player learn how to play basketball in real time on a game-by-game basis much less one learn that rapidly; the player he was opening night and the player he was by the time he hurt his back were totally different

i doubt i’ll ever see it again

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean there are only 13 lottery spots so yes more people will not get one than get one. There are definitely examples of guys boosting their stock in college like Zion last year or guys like Okongwu this year. KU has not been super great with highly regarded freshman though

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For recency Devon Dotson was far better than I thought and now he leaves as a Junior and is hoping to be a second rounder. Quentin Grimes, on the other hand, went from top 10 to transferring and hoping against hope to make it to the G League.

There's some criticism on the ranking system in there, though, as Grimes does nothing particularly well.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Zion also seems like a special case cause not only did he make himself the #1 overall pick the exposure from being on national TV plus his playing style made him probably $100m in endorsement money once he declared. That's the only edge case that it seems like the G-League could never reproduce.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

Zion also seems like a special case cause not only did he make himself the #1 overall pick the exposure from being on national TV plus his playing style made him probably $100m in endorsement money once he declared. That's the only edge case that it seems like the G-League could never reproduce.

I think anyone who is a genuine college star is going to get way more exposure than the g-league guys, which impacts stuff like endorsements, though maybe not to the extent that it's worth the trouble of going to college and not getting paid for a year (at least officially), especially if you can get $500,000 like Green is. Lots of these guys are in contact with shoe companies in high school so they can still get some of that money, but the g-league isn't exactly getting a bunch of nationally televised prime time games, it's pretty obscure. This also isn't even the actual g-league, it's an academy type thing that will do some exhibitions against g-league teams and international teams, so I have no idea how much tv time these kids are going to get.

College could definitely compete with this if they let kids make money off their name and likeness while they're in school but I would guess it'll be a moot point in two or three years when they kill the one and done rule.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 16, 2020

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

apparently the team Green/a few other guys will join will be a barnstorming team, playing exhibitions against G-League teams, "NBA Academies" whatever that means, and possibly international friendlies.

sounds a bit like the Junior Basketball Association (remember that?), but if the NBA is running it they'll actually put some oomph behind it instead of it being an ego-trip for one Lavar Ball. thing is, though, will anyone want to watch it?

e: Club Tril puts it best
https://twitter.com/clubtrillion/status/1250863870492545024?s=20

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 16, 2020

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

DeJulius chooses Cinci, making Cuonzo Martin 0/3 with his targets lately. I wonder how long the rump coach period will last.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Welp

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1251175545741729792?s=19

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Man that sucks, I actually enjoy watching him. SDSU always has at least one player you shake your fist at while also going “man what if he was on our team tho”

Edit: Sucks but also go get that money

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FartingBedpost posted:

Man that sucks, I actually enjoy watching him. SDSU always has at least one player you shake your fist at while also going “man what if he was on our team tho”

Edit: Sucks but also go get that money

I would have loved for him to come back but yeah, he has nothing left to prove here.

Honestly this season alone probably puts him on the Aztecs mount rushmore with Kawhi, Xavier Thames, and Winston Shepard

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/muffetmcgraw/status/1253027286649122819?s=21

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

BAD BOY MOWERS: BAD BOYZ 4 LIFE: BATTLE 4 ATLANTIS
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1253376851076055042?s=20

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Since everyone is talking about Jordan right now here is a really good article on him going to Kansas camps and helping Roy Williams in the early 90's. Wild to see him wearing a Jayhawk shirt.

edit: also bring back the circus font drat it

https://twitter.com/AeroKU/status/1252708549127536646

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 24, 2020

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I don't know how to feel about that.

I kinda hate it.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Kinda surprised Wake bit the bullet on Danny Manning given the circumstances but hey, you’re an elite private school, I guess you can commit a few extra million to a coaching search in the middle of a global pandemic.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Come back to Lawrence, Danny.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I want our bigs to dominate again so yes come back

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1255476657768579074?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1255829940622299138?s=19

Good hire! Was an assistant for Bruce Pearl and Greg Marshall on some of their best teams and has done an awesome job as head coach at East Tennessee State the last four years. He was high on my list for Iowa their last two coaching searches. Wake is a really tough job but I think he was one of the best candidates they could realistically land

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 30, 2020