Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Didn't season 2 end with a gag about Dr Girlfriend coming out to The Monarch? I mean it's only implied, Sheila psychs herself up to tell him something and it cuts to an exterior shot where you can hear The Monarch yelling, "What?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Didn't season 2 end with a gag about Dr Girlfriend coming out to The Monarch? I mean it's only implied, Sheila psychs herself up to tell him something and it cuts to an exterior shot where you can hear The Monarch yelling, "What?"

That was in response to Dr. Mrs. The Monarch telling him she'd applied for guild Duo-Status so they could be on equal footing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dannywilson posted:

That was in response to Dr. Mrs. The Monarch telling him she'd applied for guild Duo-Status so they could be on equal footing.

They do a lot of wrong-footing like that. Like early in the seventh (I think) season where it sounds like Wide Wale is propositioning her and she's considering it to get him to join the Council of Thirteen, but he's actually requesting to be made Doctor Venture's exclusive arch, which would preclude the Monarch from being able to arch him. For a character who's basically a walking identity crisis, Dr Mrs The Monarch is basically a tertiary protagonist of the show and has a really interesting arc of figuring out her place in the world.

Sunswipe posted:

Yeah, what makes the show is that it's like a grownup version of the Ralph and Sam cartoons. Some of the characters are even aware of it. Brock, for instance, points out that all the rules the Guild and OSI abide by basically exist so that the supervillains don't cause real problems.

Indeed, though it extends the metaphor by having major plot points specifically about people taking advantage of and abusing the system, while others are trying to maintain it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

mind the walrus posted:

It's better than Rick and Morty's conversation on the r-word anyway. And they wonder why angry young Nazis latched onto them so hard.

They also use "that's gay" as an insult and then double-down on it in freaking 2015.

Like, I know the creators have been open about telling the worst fans to gently caress off, and made a conscious effort to hire more women writers for Season 3, but I don't know that it's resulted in a ton of self-reflection.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Apr 11, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Great Teacher Onizuka, a classic anime, opens with the titular ex-gangster peeking up high school girls skirts. There's a pretty clever moment in the first episode where he gets embroiled in a honey trap because he fails to tell a teenager not to get naked, so you think he'd have learned his lesson about sexualizing the girls who would become his students?

Nope. Next story arc culminates in him taking photos of panty-clad asses.

This is one of those shows I had read a lot about but never got around to seeing, so realizing how ephebophelic it is, is. . . yoof.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Wait, you're saying a popular anime series sexualized underage girls? Outrageous.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
next time stick to non pervert animes like “dragon ball” and “that time I died and was reincarnated into a high school girls panties”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If that second one is actually a real show please don’t tell me.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

No just a light novel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I got bad news for you about Master Roshi

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also the entire episode where 10-year old Goku spends the whole thing naked. You see everything in at least one shot. Not so much sexualised of course, but awkward if someone walks in the room at that point.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hi, having one series show a naked boy doesn't make it okay for another series to sexualize teen girls, especially when the characters doing the sexualization are teachers.

i understand this isn't novel, and i understand there's plenty of anime which does it much, much worse. what surprises me is how influential the series was at the time, and how pervasive and graphic it is.

also, people who defend sexy teen anime are weird creeps, whompst should not do that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
master Roshi is a fine young man and I won’t stand for this slander

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the entire episode where 10-year old Goku spends the whole thing naked. You see everything in at least one shot. Not so much sexualised of course, but awkward if someone walks in the room at that point.

I'm guessing you've never seen an episode of crayon shin-chan

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
not TV but I need to share my disappointment in A Mighty Wind. I don't think there's anything too glaring until the very end, the very last joke of the movie, which is super lazy transphobia - one of the characters comes out, and it cuts to them singing in a low voice and wearing a dress, and that's it, that's the whole joke.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Good thing Bulma is never sexualized so i can still enjoy Dragon Ball

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

weed cat posted:

not TV but I need to share my disappointment in A Mighty Wind. I don't think there's anything too glaring until the very end, the very last joke of the movie, which is super lazy transphobia - one of the characters comes out, and it cuts to them singing in a low voice and wearing a dress, and that's it, that's the whole joke.

The joke is worse than that because the movie goes out of it's way to establish that while Michael Mckean's character is fine with this, Christopher Guest's is very not. The whole thing is just awkward. It's a real bad moment in an otherwise great film.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I saw g'kars chest but never damar's and I think that this is pretty much proof positive that babylon 5 is the better show.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

sweet geek swag posted:

The joke is worse than that because the movie goes out of it's way to establish that while Michael Mckean's character is fine with this, Christopher Guest's is very not. The whole thing is just awkward. It's a real bad moment in an otherwise great film.

I want to again emphasize - this is the last thing that happens in the movie. This is the very last thing that happens before the screen goes black and the credits roll. Like you said - an otherwise great film. gently caress

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

I saw g'kars chest but never damar's and I think that this is pretty much proof positive that babylon 5 is the better show.

I love that show. I don't think anything like it could be made anymore

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's the only actually good television show that will ever be made

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

It's the only actually good television show that will ever be made

buffy & angel were also good

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Piss Meridian posted:

Hard disagree

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

VanSandman posted:

Hard disagree

I didn't ask

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Piss Meridian posted:

I'm almost tempted to try watching them again to see if they're even remotely as good as I remember them being. But I'm pretty sure they're not.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

I'm almost tempted to try watching them again to see if they're even remotely as good as I remember them being. But I'm pretty sure they're not.

have you considered that an endless drive to criticism and condemn your own pleasant memories is a sign of something negative?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Piss Meridian posted:

have you considered that an endless drive to criticism and condemn your own pleasant memories is a sign of something negative?

To clarify, the temptation to rewatch is on the basis that they may be as good as I remember. The hesitation (and ultimate decision not to) is due to the suspicion that they aren't. So kind of the opposite of what you seem to be accusing me of.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

To clarify, the temptation to rewatch is on the basis that they may be as good as I remember. The hesitation (and ultimate decision not to) is due to the suspicion that they aren't. So kind of the opposite of what you seem to be accusing me of.

Why do you expect things you liked in the past to suck now? Seems unhealthy to me

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We're rewatching Buffy at the moment (mid season 3) and it's held up decently enough.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Piss Meridian posted:

Why do you expect things you liked in the past to suck now? Seems unhealthy to me

Expecting everything you liked as a kid to be just as good is a bit more unhealthy

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

CharlestheHammer posted:

Expecting everything you liked as a kid to be just as good is a bit more unhealthy

eh, I appreciate things as artifacts of their time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Piss Meridian posted:

That was one of the funny things about rewatching Buffy; the tech stuff that seemed stupid at the time is now a quaint cultural artefact.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That was one of the funny things about rewatching Buffy; the tech stuff that seemed stupid at the time is now a quaint cultural artefact.

yeah, though I feel 'Moloch inhabiting the internet' could be pretty horrifying if it was set in modern days. Lots of kids on the internet...

Piss Meridian has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Apr 12, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Piss Meridian posted:

Then why on earth did you click on a thread which is explicitly about things that did not age well?

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

SiKboy posted:

Then why on earth did you click on a thread which is explicitly about things that did not age well?

uh... hmm. You're racist for asking?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The only good TV shows were Night Court and That's My Bush.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

You're half right. But the question is, which half?

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Push El Burrito posted:

you forgot about "Heil Honey I'm Home!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

You're half right. But the question is, which half?

That's My Court and Night Bush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Piss Meridian posted:

yeah, though I feel 'Moloch inhabiting the internet' could be pretty horrifying if it was set in modern days. Lots of kids on the internet...

"Techno-pagan" is never not hilarious and I love the actress for saying it with a :smug: affect. "There are more of us than you'd think."

Buffy/Angel mostly hold up if you're an old and remember that it used to set the bar for character-driven genre TV, but I have no earthly clue how it'd look to a kid. Probably not good.