Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I somehow just found this LP. Finished this game, absolutely loved it even though it's very buggy. In my playthrough the dialogue randomly stuck whenever Aiba uses AI vision. At least I don't get any Somnium crashes, though :v:

LJN92 posted:

I think I can safely say this is the point where the game has lost any semblance of seriousness it might have yet possessed.

The action scenes are extremely goofy, yes. But don't worry, the game still has plenty of seriousness to spare. In most serious situations, the game only gives the vanilla flavor text toward everything to disincentivize 10 minutes of pixel hunting (not that it works on TheMcD :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

Tau Wedel posted:

It's rather frustrating that the game seems to have completely forgotten about one particular line of investigation: what happened the night Iris was killed/not killed.

Well, there we go. Still a bit irritated that Date apparently just forgot about that question for a while, but hey, we got some answers.

So Falco was Hitomi's boyfriend. That fits with what little we knew of the boyfriend already, and with Hitomi and Renju being childhood friends, it also gives a connection between Renju and Falco. Still doesn't explain why Date apparently remembered playing with Iris back when she first told him her name, but this entire story revolves around a machine that connects minds. If Date psynched with Falco back during whatever happened six years ago, that could explain how he ended up with one of Falco's memories tucked away in his brain.

On another note, the game really seems to be suggesting that Aiba and the Psync machine are not quite trustworthy. Iris thinks that the underlying Wadjet System is a living entity, and even if she's wrong about that, we now know that Pewter has been sabotaging the investigation. He created Aiba (and the Psync machine?), he's monitored Date's previous Psync sessions, and he's just demonstrated that he still has some sort of access to Aiba. Whatever the truth of it, that's another possible explanation for Iris' corpse in Mizuki's Somnium: it didn't come from either Mizuki or Date, but from the machine itself.

I'm bringing this up because I'm feeling really suspicious of the idea that actions in Somnium can alter the real world. Date saved Iris through his actions in So Sejima's Somnium, but there's no actual evidence that Iris was ever dead -- only Date saw her corpse, and his perception could be faulty. And now, what, he'll go into a Somnium and do something that saves Iris, and when he comes back out she'll be fine? And again there will be no evidence that anything has actually changed -- we only have Aiba's word that Iris' sudden illness is life-threatening. On top of that, it's quite a coincidence that she's hit by this illness just when she and Date are too far from any hospital, but right next to a Psync machine. It kinda feels like a big, elaborate setup to convince Date that his actions in Somnium can change the real world, though I can't imagine what the purpose of such a trick would be. Oh well, we'll see where it goes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Tau Wedel posted:

I'm bringing this up because I'm feeling really suspicious of the idea that actions in Somnium can alter the real world. Date saved Iris through his actions in So Sejima's Somnium, but there's no actual evidence that Iris was ever dead -- only Date saw her corpse, and his perception could be faulty. And now, what, he'll go into a Somnium and do something that saves Iris, and when he comes back out she'll be fine? And again there will be no evidence that anything has actually changed -- we only have Aiba's word that Iris' sudden illness is life-threatening. On top of that, it's quite a coincidence that she's hit by this illness just when she and Date are too far from any hospital, but right next to a Psync machine. It kinda feels like a big, elaborate setup to convince Date that his actions in Somnium can change the real world, though I can't imagine what the purpose of such a trick would be. Oh well, we'll see where it goes.

For what it's worth, it's not like the illness came completely out of nowhere. Iris did have some things happen that made it seem like something wasn't quite right with her. The one time she just kind of fainted out of nowhere, the one time she dropped her spoon for seemingly no reason and suddenly looked at her hand with a kind of sad look in her eyes, the time she suddenly started feeling cold for some reason (possibly a sign of a fever?), and the "motion sickness" she got after being rescued.

There's room to have speculated that something is up with Iris. Now, one couldn't have imagined it would lead to "basically dead in fifteen minutes", but things weren't exactly all sunshine and lollipops beforehand.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

TheMcD posted:

For what it's worth, it's not like the illness came completely out of nowhere. Iris did have some things happen that made it seem like something wasn't quite right with her. The one time she just kind of fainted out of nowhere, the one time she dropped her spoon for seemingly no reason and suddenly looked at her hand with a kind of sad look in her eyes, the time she suddenly started feeling cold for some reason (possibly a sign of a fever?), and the "motion sickness" she got after being rescued.

There's room to have speculated that something is up with Iris. Now, one couldn't have imagined it would lead to "basically dead in fifteen minutes", but things weren't exactly all sunshine and lollipops beforehand.

I didn't consider the possibility that Iris was already ill because I'd forgotten about all of those events, other than the motion sickness. :v: Thanks for reminding me.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

It's time to Psync with Iris again in a last ditch attempt to somehow get out of this problem.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I also don't remember the map exists when I played it. Even then, this somnium isn't as hard as you're making it to be. I found MaiN 1 to be harder (due to all timies being hidden and you can suddenly get x5 just by investigating :argh: )

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

1234567890num posted:

I also don't remember the map exists when I played it. Even then, this somnium isn't as hard as you're making it to be. I found MaiN 1 to be harder (due to all timies being hidden and you can suddenly get x5 just by investigating :argh: )

I just know that I failed this one several times before getting it right, and I think it was the second hardest one in the game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

And while we're at it, let's have another video.

We've Psynced with Iris again. Did we succeed at our goal? Watch this to find out!

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Well. That was a perfectly reasonable result that fit logically with what has come before, except for the utterly baffling detail that raised a whole bunch of new questions out of nowhere. Uchikoshi! :argh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TBH I had my doubts Date had his head on his shoulders right ever since we touched the star. Also we're apparently the demons??

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well now I'm sad

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yknow, for whatever reason the end credits theme is one of my favourite tunes in the game.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's reactions to the other routes. :sickos:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm catching up, and I'm not sure what it says about me that when the Make a Pentagram puzzle appeared I saw the solution just about immediately.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AweStriker posted:

I'm catching up, and I'm not sure what it says about me that when the Make a Pentagram puzzle appeared I saw the solution just about immediately.

It probably just says you're not stupid like I am. It's like in Vampires Dawn 2 where I was like "hey here's this tough puzzle, I'm going to let the thread try and solve it" and then the first post solved it immediately and just left me looking kind of dumb.

Sindai posted:

Well now I'm sad

I found that scene to be one of the more effective ones when it comes to being a sad scene. While it kind of borders on being cheesy a bit, it can get away with it just based on how we've committed ourselves to protecting Iris. The true heavy hitters for that will come later, though, this game is far from having spent its ammunition.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Well, we finished a route :confuoot:

Hopefully in the other routes we won't fail to protect the main character miserably.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video because I'm still on vacation this week and video backlogs are for pansies!

This time, we go back to the second Psync with Iris and see what we missed. Turns out, quite a lot!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

What a polite arch/tori'i :)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Seems like kind of a dark reference to associate a dog with Nagito. He had a childhood memory of his dog dying, part of his good/bad luck. Or it could just be how he much he acts like a loyal pet? It's not totally clear.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kangra posted:

Seems like kind of a dark reference to associate a dog with Nagito. He had a childhood memory of his dog dying, part of his good/bad luck. Or it could just be how he much he acts like a loyal pet? It's not totally clear.

Actually, now that I think about it, it could just be a reference to the giant dog episode of Danganronpa 3.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New videos!

It's time to head down another branch, so let's see what happens when we don't believe Iris when she says Naix is attacking in the Somnium. Also, it's time to go over some files again.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Worth noting that building the camera reveals all timies and won't lock you out of the left branch. Otherwise, all timies are hidden, which makes managing time very tricky in this somnium.

Also, 999 seconds!? As if the 358/2 days seconds in the first branch isn't bad enough :argh:

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

So I'm thinking one of two things;

1. Feeding Iris' delusions is what caused her to collapse in the other route.

2. Believing Iris' delusions made Date go nuts and that's why the other route was so ridiculous and out of left field.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that's exactly what Naixatloz wants you to think

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
We have successfully destroyed Let's Play.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Let's have one more video before my vacation is over and I go back to a slower schedule.

We're taking the other path now. Surely, it can't be as bad as the last one, right?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

TheMcD posted:

Surely, it can't be as bad as the last one, right?
oh no I've been tricked

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I’m thinking there’s more to this.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It looks like maybe we’re locked on this branch? Not sure what information we need though, unless we have to go further back for clues

Poor Iris :(

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I get the impression that Ota knows how strong Mizuki is because she has punched him before, with good reason.

So that was a disaster, but it was a disaster in a way that doesn't quite fit with what we learned in the other branch. Iris told Date that Renju took her to the abandoned chemical plant in the Kabasaki district, but she got scared and ran away. If she's now gone with him willingly, it seems most likely that they'd go there again, not to the cold storage warehouse. It's also worth noting that when Iris died in the other branch she was missing her left eye, but this Iris is missing her right eye instead.

I wonder, is what Date just found actually a corpse at all, or is it a model or effigy of some sort? This seems like a viable sequence of events: Pewter inserts the image of Iris' corpse into Mizuki's Somnium when Date is psyncing with her. When Date enters the cold storage warehouse after So has left, he sees the effigy of Iris. His examination is quick and superficial enough that he doesn't realize it's not a real corpse (this is also helped by the low temperature in the warehouse), and he then leaves to call Boss. Shortly after he leaves, someone goes into the warehouse and hides the effigy in the forklift. When the police arrive to the warehouse they find nothing other than shelves, a table, and an unremarkable-looking forklift.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hey, guess who just got put on short time by his company and won't be back to work until the 4th of May? I did! So that means you get more videos faster again.

Also, since I'm in a position to once again record some footage, I'm going to put the poll up early. This will decide a branch down the line, but I might as well ask now, since the question has gently caress all to do with any information you'd get prior to the branch anyway.

Here's the poll!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

This is certainly more wholesome than what happened in the other route.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

This time, we get the advantage of being able to talk to Mizuki early. Furthermore, we get a big change right off the bat with this branch.

EDIT: Also, don't forget to vote in the poll two posts up if you haven't already!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 24, 2020

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

WELP

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I should hope non-Somnium Aiba is better at driving than Somnium Aiba if she does have to take the wheel, lest we forget what happened when she unleashed the Drift King.

...Oh no.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

AweStriker posted:

I should hope non-Somnium Aiba is better at driving than Somnium Aiba if she does have to take the wheel, lest we forget what happened when she unleashed the Drift King.

Well, it's not like she can unleash the Drift King in the real world, so... :j:

Also, The McD, are you planning on another bonus video on PaiN somnium to round up the things you missed?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

1234567890num posted:

Also, The McD, are you planning on another bonus video on PaiN somnium to round up the things you missed?

I didn't plan on it because I thought I didn't miss anything. Anything prior to the two bird cage room was the same and I already covered that in videos 7 and 7-X, I looked at the new stuff in the two bird cage room, and I looked at the new stuff afterwards (for instance, the gate looked to be the same, so I didn't check that out further, compared to the parasol and panda ride).

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

You don't miss anything that big, but you did miss the speaker pole before pulling out the ice pick. You can actually get rid of the lightning that way instead of using the ice pick. It's amusing to see how Aiba pull the big pole

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

1234567890num posted:

You don't miss anything that big, but you did miss the speaker pole before pulling out the ice pick. You can actually get rid of the lightning that way instead of using the ice pick. It's amusing to see how Aiba pull the big pole

Hm. I'll check it out when I'm doing my next recording session.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

So, given that we had been setting up Renju as our main suspect and then found Renju's corpse, we've been thrown for a bit of a loop. Nothing much we can do but keep investigating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Mizuki mocking Date. :allears:

So, math: Renju weighs 158 pounds and he was transported in an oil drum weighing 44 pounds, so that's 202 pounds the killer was moving around. The elevator's load was 310 pounds, meaning that the killer weighed (at most) 108 pounds (or 49 kg if, like me, you're more used to metric). That's low for an adult human, particularly one capable of moving such a heavy load around. Of course we do know of a person who is remarkably strong and weighs less than an adult, but I'm pretty sure we can rule out Mizuki as the culprit.

TheMcD posted:

So, given that we had been setting up Renju as our main suspect and then found Renju's corpse, we've been thrown for a bit of a loop. Nothing much we can do but keep investigating.

It's pretty impressive how much of a surprise Renju's death is, really. There's a lot of unanswered questions in the other branch, but it really felt like the most secure conclusion you could draw was that Renju killed Shoko. The start of this branch even seems to support this: there was someone nearby when Mizuki found Shoko's corpse, and that person drove to and from Bloom Park in Renju's car. Then suddenly nope, Renju's dead. It can't be easy to construct a branching plot that keeps being surprising no matter what order you go through the branches, and also fits together in retrospect when the player has the full picture.