Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Davros1 posted:

That's got to be a shock to discover in the movie he's essentially the villain.

Same thing with Ghostbusters and Slimer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

C'mon, y'all:

From the sounds of it, could've been rad. And the art is fantastic, even if the quasi-Moebius style wouldn't have made it to air. Apparently they wanted to make it a prime-time thing rather than a kids show. There's a trailer out there somewhere, but it probably won't ever be released and may be lost. But apparently the series was never a real possibility because Spielberg was too burnt out on JP merchandising to consider a show.

Oh poo poo, William Stout was one of my favourite palaeontological artists when I was a kid. I loved this book:

He's also done a ton of film design work (Pan's Labyrinth, the giant cockroach alien in MIB, the hosed up monsters in The Mist, those new characters in the old He-Man movie that everyone hated) as well as a ton of storyboard work (Raiders of the Lost Ark , etc) and posters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Stout
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0832898/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Same thing with Ghostbusters and Slimer

At least Slimer wasn't a pedophile.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SCheeseman posted:

At least Slimer wasn't a pedophile.

Never occurred to me that bj was grooming Lydia. Does this mean Little Monsters has the same problem or maybe Monsters Inc? How deep does this go?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

Jurassic World 3 Lego set spoilers:

That's from the animated TV series that came out last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKPX_XtkQ6A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Jurassic_World:_Legend_of_Isla_Nublar

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Never occurred to me that bj was grooming Lydia.

Beetlejuice tries to coerce a minor into marriage in exchange for a favor.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Beetlejuice tries to coerce a minor into marriage in exchange for a favor.

:doh:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Young Freud posted:

The death of both syndicated cartoons and Saturday morning blocs, as well as the proliferation of cable, which gave rise to Nickelodeon, Disney, and Cartoon Network monopolizing children's entertainment for the most part.

And not to mention the lucrative merchandising market. Why work with some producers to make a, say, Dredd G-rated cartoon and have to split the toy profits with guys who own the IP? And then when the producers back out of the deal, you suddenly have 13-100 episodes that you can't do anything with (unless you renegotiate with the money guys to allow the opportunity to make more money), and a toy line you can't profit off of. But if you go with some brand new, never before seen pilot from some guy fresh out of CalArts, you can completely own the idea and make even more revenue for the network, and forever own the IP in perpetuity, and eventually revive it as some nostalgia bait. Case in point, Cartoon Network made hand over fist with Adventure Time, and they will continue to forever as long as people will pay for it (which might have slowed down, but HBO max hopes to revive that market).

I'm pretty sure the only licensed shows happening these days are either Superhero cartoons (and that happens because Disney owns both Marvel and several Channels, while Warner owns both DC and Cartoon Network), or shows produced by lego. And I imagine lego is footing a huge portion of the bill, as they own the toys and the factories making the show. And thus, the shows become the most lucrative commercials there could be, provided they hit their market.

And in case of Lego, they're in a very similar position as the cartoon channels these days. Take a look at the sets lego lego releases these days: Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Minecraft, Overwatch, Harry Potter, etc. A lot of IP they do not own, and some traditional set lines that aren't nearly as pop-off-the-shelf exciting as the licensed ones, like city and creator. So a non-IP line of toys that can connect with kids in the same way the IP toys do are a huge vector for major profits, and thus how you have over 10 years of 'Ninjago' and 'Lego Friends' toys and cartoons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Spielberg produced like half the Kids WB cartoons at the time. Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Freakazoid... Uh... That one cartoon about the dogs of various world leaders being a superhero team.

Who else would make a cartoon about a Jerry Lewis internet superhero?

There was a short in Animaniacs iirc with the Warner Siblings, Pinky and the Brain, and Freakazoid arguing over which are Spielberg's favourites.

And do you mean Road Rovers? That show was apparently super weird, and not just for being a TMNT knockoff with dogs, but one that was Disney styled with musical numbers. (While the Disney take on TMNT was super weird in a different way, The Mighty Ducks. I was a big fan)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SomeJazzyRat posted:

And not to mention the lucrative merchandising market. Why work with some producers to make a, say, Dredd G-rated cartoon and have to split the toy profits with guys who own the IP? And then when the producers back out of the deal, you suddenly have 13-100 episodes that you can't do anything with (unless you renegotiate with the money guys to allow the opportunity to make more money), and a toy line you can't profit off of. But if you go with some brand new, never before seen pilot from some guy fresh out of CalArts, you can completely own the idea and make even more revenue for the network, and forever own the IP in perpetuity, and eventually revive it as some nostalgia bait. Case in point, Cartoon Network made hand over fist with Adventure Time, and they will continue to forever as long as people will pay for it (which might have slowed down, but HBO max hopes to revive that market).

I'm pretty sure the only licensed shows happening these days are either Superhero cartoons (and that happens because Disney owns both Marvel and several Channels, while Warner owns both DC and Cartoon Network), or shows produced by lego. And I imagine lego is footing a huge portion of the bill, as they own the toys and the factories making the show. And thus, the shows become the most lucrative commercials there could be, provided they hit their market.

And in case of Lego, they're in a very similar position as the cartoon channels these days. Take a look at the sets lego lego releases these days: Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Minecraft, Overwatch, Harry Potter, etc. A lot of IP they do not own, and some traditional set lines that aren't nearly as pop-off-the-shelf exciting as the licensed ones, like city and creator. So a non-IP line of toys that can connect with kids in the same way the IP toys do are a huge vector for major profits, and thus how you have over 10 years of 'Ninjago' and 'Lego Friends' toys and cartoons.

Cartoon Network is a funny case since for a while it seemed like they really hated any show that they didn't make, and were constantly screwing over DC shows like Young Justice for flimsy reasons. (until Teen Titans Go came along anyway, now that literally makes up 90% of their schedule) To the point where Hasbro got sick of their poo poo and ended Transformers Animated prematurely to go make their own network, The Hub, though I don't think anything on it besides My Little Pony (yes, that one) was really a breakout hit and iirc they rebranded to Discovery Family.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was a short in Animaniacs iirc with the Warner Siblings, Pinky and the Brain, and Freakazoid arguing over which are Spielberg's favourites.

And do you mean Road Rovers? That show was apparently super weird, and not just for being a TMNT knockoff with dogs, but one that was Disney styled with musical numbers. (While the Disney take on TMNT was super weird in a different way, The Mighty Ducks. I was a big fan)

Yeah, Road Rovers. Their leader was Bill Clinton's dog. The only scene I vividly remember was the Russian dog reading Go Dog Go.

I now appreciate Spielberg cramming in characters that no child would like or find funny but are amusing to Spielberg. The Huntsman was basically "why if Charlton Heston was a useless ripoff of Green Arrow?" Or having Jack Valenti explain the MPAA.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It was so long before I realise The Brain was really Orson Welles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Through the 80s and 90s it's kinda crazy how 'TMNT knockoff' practically became its own genre. Street Sharks, Extreme Dinosaurs, The Mighty Ducks, Road Rovers, Dinosaucers (though that struck me as taking a lot of Transformers inspiration too), and probably Samurai Pizza Cats. (in the original anime, they're ninjas, who are routinely shot out of a cannon. And TMNT was always popular in Japan, I'm pretty sure)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Through the 80s and 90s it's kinda crazy how 'TMNT knockoff' practically became its own genre. Street Sharks, Extreme Dinosaurs, The Mighty Ducks, Road Rovers, Dinosaucers (though that struck me as taking a lot of Transformers inspiration too), and probably Samurai Pizza Cats. (in the original anime, they're ninjas, who are routinely shot out of a cannon. And TMNT was always popular in Japan, I'm pretty sure)

I was listening to an episode of Retronauts about TMNT, and I think it was Bob Mackey who recounted an interview with the lead designer of the first TMNT game by Konami and he kept saying "Why turtles!?!?" Just utterly baffled at this weird American franchise. But it made Konami tons of cash so they kept producing the games.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Super Dan posted:

How many Jeff Goldblum toys were there? This one and probably one for ID4? Or was there a Brundlefly action figure?

If you go by Lego there's a bunch of actors who have multiple minifigs of themselves.

Then there's the Disney toys-to-life game where there are three different Johnny Depp characters for some reason.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cartoon Network is a funny case since for a while it seemed like they really hated any show that they didn't make, and were constantly screwing over DC shows like Young Justice for flimsy reasons. (until Teen Titans Go came along anyway, now that literally makes up 90% of their schedule) To the point where Hasbro got sick of their poo poo and ended Transformers Animated prematurely to go make their own network, The Hub, though I don't think anything on it besides My Little Pony (yes, that one) was really a breakout hit and iirc they rebranded to Discovery Family.

The Hub also had Dan VS (which owned), which was baffling because it was an adult swim-lite type show that aired on a network whose target audience was 8 and under.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

The Hub also had Dan VS (which owned), which was baffling because it was an adult swim-lite type show that aired on a network whose target audience was 8 and under.

Gen z has all grown up on sarcasm like that and teen titans go

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dan Vs was criminally underrated.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's fascinating watching cartoons chase the fad whenever theres a big breakout hit and make all these near-identical imitations. You already mentioned TMNT, and before that G.I joe had inspired a trillion "Giant Good Guy military organization vs Giant Bad Guy Military Organization" shows. And after TMNT Power Rangers had producers salivating to buy the rights to a Japanese Toku show to splice with footage of American actors.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

nvm

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

galagazombie posted:

And after TMNT Power Rangers had producers salivating to buy the rights to a Japanese Toku show to splice with footage of American actors.

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Big Bad Beetleborgs actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

Alan Smithee posted:

I watched the beatlejuice cartoon growing up well before I saw te movie as an adult

man that movie had some creepy poo poo in it

This, but for Starship Troopers. Man that was an experience.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 11, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Big Bad Beetleborgs actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

This, but for Starship Troopers. Man that was an experience.

See I read Starship Troopers first and was upset the movie didn’t have power armor but had Casper van Dien instead. All the other horrible poo poo Verhoeven left out was fine though and turning it into hilarious satire was obviously way better than genocidally racist military robots and fetishistic child abuse played straight.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

To this day I still have trouble accepting that C.O.W.-boys of Moo Mesa actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was listening to an episode of Retronauts about TMNT, and I think it was Bob Mackey who recounted an interview with the lead designer of the first TMNT game by Konami and he kept saying "Why turtles!?!?" Just utterly baffled at this weird American franchise. But it made Konami tons of cash so they kept producing the games.

The funny thing is that the very start of the franchise was Eastman and Laird making notebook drawings, and they decided to draw Bruce Lee as the most ridiculous animal he could possibly be- so they drew a turtle-man with nunchucks. And it grew from there. Absurdity is kind of at the very core of it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

To this day I am totally okay with the fact M.A.S.K. was real and I genuinely look forwards to the inevitable lovely live action version.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Butt-Ugly Martians actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Mummies Alive! actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Monster Force actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

Doggles fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 12, 2020

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Van-Pires actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Bucky O'Hare actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ooooh my god

Ahhh it gets better

Yes, that Jonathan Davis.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Calamity Jane
Premiering in

17 weeks

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny thing is that the very start of the franchise was Eastman and Laird making notebook drawings, and they decided to draw Bruce Lee as the most ridiculous animal he could possibly be- so they drew a turtle-man with nunchucks. And it grew from there. Absurdity is kind of at the very core of it.

Recollect that there was a burst of satirical anthromorphic comics in the late 80s maybe? Dunno if TMNT was in the middle or beginning of it, but there were ninja badgers and pig soldiers, etc.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

To this day I still have trouble accepting that a cartoon where Wayne Gretzky and I want to say Michael Jordan and also an American football player have super powers related to their sports all team up to fight crime or something seriously why was this even aired in the UK actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Bo Jackson was the third one (he was baseball and football)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTcJKANr5dE

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

The Jersey was an actual show on Disney channel where the protagonists jumped into the bodies of actual sportsmen and sportswomen who actually factually acted REALLY BADLY in front of a camera because the premise of the show was that a magical Jersey would let you live a few moments of the lives of your fantasy football picks to teach you about friendship or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

The Jersey was an actual show on Disney channel where the protagonists jumped into the bodies of actual sportsmen and sportswomen who actually factually acted REALLY BADLY in front of a camera because the premise of the show was that a magical Jersey would let you live a few moments of the lives of your fantasy football picks to teach you about friendship or w/e.

I remember this show, it was set in St. Louis, Missouri, and I think they even made a super bowl episode during one of the years the St. Louis Rams won the Super Bowl, but they were 100% not filming in St. Louis.