Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yup. Oculus and The Day are the only two WWE Films projects without wrestlers AFAIK though.

Too bad we couldn't get Vince inserting his creative genius on those projects like he did See No Evil. The mirror would have had a three foot hog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

Too bad we couldn't get Vince inserting his creative genius on those projects like he did See No Evil. The mirror would have had a three foot hog.

Have you seen No One Lives? The singular scene that makes that film worthwhile (featuring Brodus Clay) could have absolutely come from Vince's brainworms.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Happy Critters 2 day, horror thread

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Disc 4, oh holy poo poo :vince:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

Happy Critters 2 day, horror thread

Kill Crites!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that whole collection is killer but disc 4 is on a whole other level

EDIT: Also never knew FFC directed Dementia 13, that's nuts.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 12, 2020

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Tertius Oculum posted:

Anyone see Sea Fever yet? It sounds exactly like the episode of X-Files but Irish lol

Gonna check it out this weekend maybe.

I was going to rent it and watch it today as part of the April challenge. I'll be sure to drop some impressions in this thread, as well. (If I get around to watching it.)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I went searching for Easter-themed horror movies (slim pickings it seems) and suddenly got struck with an incredible concept:

Good Friday the 13th

Unfortunately the next actual Good Friday the 13th won't happen until 2063.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
There always seems to be at least one horror movie a year that gets a lot of buzz but it's appeal is lost on me. In 2018, it was Terrifier, for 2019 releases, it's Bliss.

Really nothing about the movie worked for me, and it should have been right up my alley. Oh well.

Finally got around to seeing The Color Out of Space and Mandy and enjoyed both of those, at least.

Then got caught up with 3 From Hell and felt like it was just a reheated version of The Devil's Rejects, except with Sid Haig's death dragging the whole thing down. I love Richard Brake in general but the whole dynamic just doesn't work as well without him.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I couldn’t help but like 3 From Hell for being so shamelessly Rob Zombie-like. Like when the gang of luchadores show up with assault rifles

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I couldn’t help but like 3 From Hell for being so shamelessly Rob Zombie-like. Like when the gang of luchadores show up with assault rifles

Yea there was almost a feeling of catharsis watching the luchadore scene, as if Rob had finally reached the top of this bizarre mountain we've had the privilege of watching him climb all these years. It can't get any more Rob Zombie than that.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

McSpanky posted:

I went searching for Easter-themed horror movies (slim pickings it seems) and suddenly got struck with an incredible concept:

Good Friday the 13th

Unfortunately the next actual Good Friday the 13th won't happen until 2063.

Make it a 1979 period piece.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

Basebf555 posted:

Yea there was almost a feeling of catharsis watching the luchadore scene, as if Rob had finally reached the top of this bizarre mountain we've had the privilege of watching him climb all these years. It can't get any more Rob Zombie than that.

*sheds single tear* I love you all so much

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I cannot believe you guys made me watch The Greasy Strangler

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It rules huh

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I watched Human Lanterns yesterday and totally loved it. I’ve also seen and loved Horrors of Malformed Men, Blind Woman’s Curse, Seeding of a Ghost, and A Chinese Ghost Story. Can anyone recommend other films along those lines? Over the top 70s/80s Asian horror I guess.

And yes I’ve seen House, that’s not exactly what I’m looking for but I’m not sure there is really anything else quite like it anyway.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

COOL CORN posted:

It rules huh

I literally don’t know what my reaction to it is. Like, I definitely didn’t hate it. I’m for sure impressed with their dedication to showing the grossest possible thing on screen at all times. It’s funny in a really hosed up way, of course. I...might have liked it? But not in the same way I’ve ever liked anything else before

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Benito Cereno posted:

I literally don’t know what my reaction to it is. Like, I definitely didn’t hate it. I’m for sure impressed with their dedication to showing the grossest possible thing on screen at all times. It’s funny in a really hosed up way, of course. I...might have liked it? But not in the same way I’ve ever liked anything else before

I didn't particularly hate it, but I was definitely wondering what the gently caress did I just sit through.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the greasy strangler is a masterpiece just bc you can't handle big ronnie's gargantuan weiner don't mean it's a bad movie it means youre not a HOOTIE TOOTIE DISCO CUTIE

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm glad I watched the Greasy Strangler.

I've tried many times through the years for a full re-watch and I just can't loving do it.

A man can stare into the abyss for only so long before losing himself.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I kind of want to start calling my wife a Hootie Tootie Disco Cutie and hope she never asks me what it’s from

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

My terrible thoughts:

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'm still thinking about The Greasy Strangler, and specifically the scene in which Robbie and Brayden murder Janet in a cinema, and then eat her eyes. The location really seems like an obvious hint that she is a proxy for the audience, and that consuming her eyes is the filmmakers consuming our attention. Is she an audience surrogate throughout the entire film, though?

The majority of the film revolves around Robbie and Brayden attempting to seduce Janet (the audience), and hold her affection. Brayden attempts this by being open, kind, and loving, but ultimately boring. Robbie on the other hand is awful at every level, he's a selfish, lying, greased-up serial killer, but he's interesting! Robbie is a smoothie when it comes to gaining Janet and the audience's attention. It is then only when Brayden decides to investigate the murders, and ultimately kill Robbie, that Janet returns to him. He becomes interesting only by embracing the negative qualities of his father, and ultimately by becoming another greasy strangler.

After murdering Janet the father and son reconcile, and say something to the effect of "Janet was gross". Is the whole film then just a meditation on all of the awful poo poo you have to do to get the audience's attention, and the sense of hollowness that comes from appeasing "gross" people?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

I watched Human Lanterns yesterday and totally loved it. I’ve also seen and loved Horrors of Malformed Men, Blind Woman’s Curse, Seeding of a Ghost, and A Chinese Ghost Story. Can anyone recommend other films along those lines? Over the top 70s/80s Asian horror I guess.

And yes I’ve seen House, that’s not exactly what I’m looking for but I’m not sure there is really anything else quite like it anyway.

Have you seen the Hammer/Shaw Brothers crossover, "Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires"?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also anyone who doesn't like the greasy strangler is a BULLSHIT ARTIST

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Seventh Curse and Mr. Vampire are both delightful.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm not a huge Rob Zombie fan but thought I'd give 3 From Hell a shot because it's on Shudder. I made it about 5 minutes, right up until Zombie starts mythologizing his own characters through the news footage of people saying "Captain Spaulding rules!" or whatever. I feel like Zombie is way too in love with these characters who (besides being murderers) are mostly just obnoxious. Having unlikable characters leading your movie is fine but Zombie wants us to see them as actually-kinda-cool-when-you-think-about-it antiheroes as well but hasn't done anything to earn it.

Also Cursed Films is good. Does anybody have any guesses about what the guy said that was bleeped out on the Omen episode post credits thing?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think Zombie really wants you to see the 3 as antiheroes. He's definitely in love with his characters but you can be in love with the villain of your story because its your creation and you feel a connection to it. Zombie loves his creations, for better or worst. But the 3 are pretty clear monsters and Zombie never really pulls punches with that or attempts to redeem them.

But I do think the line got blurred a little in 3 from Hell when it was clearer in Devil's Rejects. In Rejects they're human and they only really are "bad rear end" when they're preying on people weaker than them. They get their asses handed to them more than once in the film. But in 3 from Hell they become rather super human. Again, I don't think he wants you to think they're heroes of any kind. They're doing repugnant and unforgivable poo poo. And I think the "Free The Three" people are pretty clearly morally repugnant folks of the like who groupied Manson. But somewhere along the line he fell in love with his characters a bit more than he was the last time.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The best parts of The Devil's Rejects were watching Diamond Dallas Page and Danny Trejo beat the poo poo out of them because DDP and Trejo are awesome and charismatic and the Rejects are a bunch of assholes who pick on people who are weaker than they are.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I watched the new Grudge and thought it was pretty good. Good Evil Dead reboot style vibe. Good characters. Good money and film work thrown at it. Is it spectacular? Nah, but its good.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

COOL CORN posted:

Have you seen the Hammer/Shaw Brothers crossover, "Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires"?

I've seen this. It's good, but not great. Neither half of the crossover really brings their A-game. It's a fun mashup, but I couldn't help feeling disappointed thinking about what could've been.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

yes! That’s a decent one.

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

Seventh Curse and Mr. Vampire are both delightful.

Thanks, I’ll check these out!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zartosht posted:

Make it a 1979 period piece.

:pray:

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The Greasy Strangler actually requires drugs and friends with questionable senses of humor to be honestly appreciated.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Benito Cereno posted:

I cannot believe you guys made me watch The Greasy Strangler

Noob down

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I'm glad I watched the Greasy Strangler.

I've tried many times through the years for a full re-watch and I just can't loving do it.

A man can stare into the abyss for only so long before losing himself.

Every second of it is hilarious I am filled with joy the entire time

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Some guy: porto
Me: cinematic genius

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I just finished the Norweigan war movie THE TWELFTH MAN and it's not a horror film but if you are keen for some gnarly survival-style home toe amputation - this is great and borders on body horror.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Disc 4, oh holy poo poo :vince:

I got to work and opened it and disc 1 is missing, and in its place is a copy of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, which is weird, because I own the Blu/DVD of that movie and it's unopened.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Somebody in the April horror thread watched two Elizabeth Bathory inspired movies, and I realized you could probably do a whole month of those. 31 horror movies at least partially inspired by Elizabeth Bathory. But then I realized that would probably be real bad time, most of those movies would not be good.

So that got me thinking, if you were going to watch 31 horror movies all linked by a single element, what element would give you the worst possible selection of movies to choose from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Fuckin amityville