Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calling Appmon a "silly fun show" is not giving it the credit it deserves. Character writing is pretty good, especially on Eri but Haru is one of the better protagonists we've ever gotten, growing from a timid and underconfident child into a genuine hero and protagonist as he wanted to be. Character focus is pretty evenly divided and none of the characters feel superfluous. The plot is actually pretty deep once it gets going, and it's one of the best series in using the Digi part of the title, up there with Tamers.

The start is pretty formulaic but don't let that discourage you, once it gets going, Appmon is an excellent show and I'll second Nodosaur on being on my top three Digimon anime list, just below Tamers and Savers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Calling Appmon a "silly fun show" is not giving it the credit it deserves. Character writing is pretty good, especially on Eri but Haru is one of the better protagonists we've ever gotten, growing from a timid and underconfident child into a genuine hero and protagonist as he wanted to be. Character focus is pretty evenly divided and none of the characters feel superfluous. The plot is actually pretty deep once it gets going, and it's one of the best series in using the Digi part of the title, up there with Tamers.

I am extremely in favor of Appmon. I think it's my second favorite Digimon season after Tamers. If Adventure 20 is taking a page out of Appmon's book like it looks like that's a mark in its favor as far as I'm concerned.

In terms of character writing I gotta give shoutouts to my favorite character in the show who is the person from the opening that I don't think MorningMoon has met yet. Rei is an incredibly good character, he's way outside the norm for Digimon protagonists in the best possible way.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 7, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Crossposting from the Dragonball Z thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy6yYXV_daM

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finished the first cour with the Christmas episode. Really good show so far, worked really evenly to establish the whole cast and set up the threads we're following for the next 3 cours. Rei's a pretty compelling character, and Haru appealing to the facts & logic approach by pointing out how it's emotional at its core was super nice. There's a lot of wacky stuff, but the show knows how to push more serious stakes. That said I giggled at Hajime's design being so throwaway that I know he won't be rescued until the last cour, if not hte last few episodes.

Also this is a show about AI. Haru has a crush on a girl named Ai. I'm loving on to whatever cruel and ironic bullshit you're trying to pull, Toei.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MorningMoon posted:

Also this is a show about AI. Haru has a crush on a girl named Ai. I'm loving on to whatever cruel and ironic bullshit you're trying to pull, Toei.

You're missing the point here. Ai is the most obvious but every character is named after an important computer-related term. Haru, for instance, is a different romanization of HAL.

I won't tell you the rest because I don't remember them at all that's not fun, seek them out yourself.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Rei and Hajime are from binary, 0 and 1.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

The start is pretty formulaic but don't let that discourage you, once it gets going, Appmon is an excellent show and I'll second Nodosaur on being on my top three Digimon anime list, just below Tamers and Savers.

I have a soft spot for Xross Wars' setting and characters, I honestly like how most of the character drama in Xross Wars is driven by the Digimon themselves apart Midnight/Twilight's subplot with Shoutmon arguably being XW's protagonist rather than his partner Mikey/Taiki, and like Frontier's concept of human-Digimon Hybrids and its Digimon World but I will agree that Appmon, Savers and Tamers are the top three.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're missing the point here. Ai is the most obvious but every character is named after an important computer-related term. Haru, for instance, is a different romanization of HAL.

I won't tell you the rest because I don't remember them at all that's not fun, seek them out yourself.

Omnicrom posted:

Rei and Hajime are from binary, 0 and 1.

I am once again defeated by japanese puns...

Well, time to find out what's up with voice that screams HAAAAAAAAAAAAARU or not. I feell ike L-Mart has meme potential now.

....his grandfather's name is... Deneimon.
DENEIMON
holy poo poo it's john and marvin

Ep 17 was very good to the female cast in a way most shonen animes fail to even attempt. I'm glad Eri is making so much progress to her dream.
Ep 18 in which Yujin goes on a Pokemon GO date with Haru, while evil forces use Pokemon GO for murder. Extremely nice episode, and made me realize that at some point, the monster of hte week episodes transitioned from zany wacky plots to character building with a zany app b-story that is mostly there for third act conflict and action scene.
Ep 19 start, it's loving valentine's, the title says it's TIME and updating your phone's OS makes it crash. high tension incoming. "It's merely one moment in the history of the world, but for me it's an eternity" this is so cool i can't

Globemon is so cool...

Gonna take a break, probably of only a few hours since glancing ahead, it looks like there's 3 character eps (astora, eri, then rei) and then we get into a huge 3 parter, followed by a massive shakeup. This show really knows how to keep things flowing for a whole year.

Okay, i'm fully in. Eri is, in fact, the best.

...man, I kinda thought we were gonna have a big blowout for episode 25 or 26. Turns out 23 with Warudamon's death was the big blowout and the following episodes were just setup for the next cour. :/ Ah well, the new OP and ED are cool.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 11, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well that was certainly a choice

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Adventure: sure knows how to build up tension, jesus.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
this reboot isn't loving around huh

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
that was even faster than i expected

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just two episodes in and this is already better than anything Adventure related they’ve put out in years (maybe even including 02).

I also like that this is basically a new show despite featuring familiar characters. Hopefully they’ll be able to keep this up but for now I am fully onboard with this.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
hey uh so i dont really care or know about the lore of the individual digimon but i at least know that THAT thing is final episode poo poo. not episode 2.

also it's confirmed that Matt isn't in Tokyo

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
getting it out of the way early might actually be a boon. instead of building up to something we already 100% knew they were going to use at some point, they can chuck it out now and leave open the potential for something actually new to show up near the finale

maybe

i hope

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I dig that the latest form of the baddie has that Diaboromon esque face. Great call back. Though introducing Omnimon in episode 2 seems REALLY rushed. Though I'll admit, that's me bringing in my history with the OG adventure story into this new one. I just wonder what that's gonna do to the stakes of the whole series when they've got their most powerful weapon in their back pocket from here on

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ghost sex posted:

getting it out of the way early might actually be a boon. instead of building up to something we already 100% knew they were going to use at some point, they can chuck it out now and leave open the potential for something actually new to show up near the finale

maybe

i hope

They also have the benefit of hindsight this time around (if I recall correctly, a lot of the original Adventure was the writers basically just making things up as they went along).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

They also have the benefit of hindsight this time around (if I recall correctly, a lot of the original Adventure was the writers basically just making things up as they went along).

Devimon was going to be It for the show for the longest

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I feel like Omegamon will solve the problem and we wont see that kind of power again fot a long while. And that its gonna cost Takeru and Hikari. Like theyre stuck in the digital world due to using that power.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Imagine telling someone a month ago that the Digimon Adventure reboot would be the best looking show of the season

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ghost sex posted:

maybe

i hope

yeah this was sorta my low-key hope once i saw episode 2 was just straight up a 'our ware game' reference. doing omnimon early (but then probably not again for a long time) will put this technically new narrative in the position long time fans are already in of 'yeah we've seen him before, you're gonna have to find something new and exciting beyond him to top that'

and hopefully the 'something new' will look better than whatever the hell those forms from the last movie were

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Burkion posted:

Was that ever confirmed anywhere? Because that keeps popping up without any real source.

Meanwhile as for Adventure 20 I'm glad to see most of the character establishing bits I felt were missing in episode 1 being done in episode 2. This may be an anime whose opening episodes function better as a movie than as three episodes across three weeks.

Also shout-outs to what I'm reading as a deliberate meta fake-out. When Yamato talked about how he knows a dangerous thing they can try my immediate assumption was trying to force through a Jogress with the possibility of it going wrong and both digimon dying or worse. Instead they go with a cool Kamikaze run. I'm also totally fine with this being a nod to basically us Digimon lifers in the audience because the framing of the shot works totally fine on its own for newcomers as well.

Also also interested in where the show goes from here. I assume they're putting the genie in the bottle again somehow and we won't see Omegamon for a while after this, but I'm interested in learning more about how and why. It's only two episodes, but even in that time you can tell someone put a lot of care and effort into the series so far. I'm actually interested in seeing how it goes. Moreover my initial hope of them bringing in new evolutions might not be impossible anymore.

I was apprehensive before, but I'm on board now. This train may derail down the line, but it's clear on to the horizon for now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Supposedly they animated an alternate ending for the File Island arc in case the show bombed and they needed to end it early; apparently right after Devimon is defeated Gennai shows up, explains that the kids aren't actually the Digidestined/Chosen Children and promptly sends them back home

Supposedly this info comes from Jeff Nimoy, though I don't have a direct source for this

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, and I'll spoil this if people think I should but it's just me taking a wild stab

I think Algomon is specifically trying to kill Kari and maybe TK. I didn't think much about why he was targeting Tokyo, because of course he was, but then I realized- it's only Tokyo. It's only the one nuke, VS all the other nukes Diaboramon used in Our War Games. Diaboramon was trying to wipe out humanity, but Algomon only sent the one nuke.

And Algomon specifically only targeted the train Kari was on, and the train that would crash into hers. I think he, or whatever force is behind him more likely, is trying to remove her from the game ahead of time. Considering what's ALREADY happened, I can't blame him.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i thought all the trains were going haywire and it's just narrative convenience that the first one that was gonna crash into another was the one tai's mom and sister were on

not that that invalidates your general idea

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I really liked that "Dillion, you son of a bitch" bit between Greymon and Garurumon at the start :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There is so much good stuff in this episode, holy poo poo.

Greymon and Garurumon already being friends is somewhere between :allears: and :3:, Matt comes around on the friendship thing really quickly, which I assume is because we already got some growth off-screen of him accepting Gabumon's help. The meta-fakeout, the missile launch, the whole-plot reference to OWG, bringing in Omnimon this early... I can only hope that this means we're going to see other Jogress, instead of just the first two. Even moreso, I hope that "holy poo poo, Japan almost got nuked and we have no idea why"becomes a plot point. The stakes are going to feel a lot more artificial if there's no consequences for all of this poo poo going wild in the same day. I doubt it'll just be swept under the rug, but the fear is there.

This show's good, y'all.

Who wants to take bets on the other pairs? I'm gonna say Jou and Mimi, because of the best part of Digimon Tri, but I could be wrong there, as that would leave Kojiro and Sora. (You know Takeru and Hikari will be the last pair, it's not even a contest.) I could see it working, though. Knowledge and Love meeting in the middle could be about the importance of finding the meetingplace/balance between thinking and feeling/logic and humanity.

So, assuming everyone gets one, and everyone only gets one pair (as I feel like 50+ new Mega Digimon is a bit beyond the scope of one show), who would be what, and who'd get what? Assuming they don't go entirely new, which, given Algomon, they very well might. Honestly, I hope they do, but this is just a fun thought experiment. All I've got is Sleipmon for Takeru and Kairi, and maaaybe Lotosmon/Lotusmon for Jou and Mimi?

Burkion posted:

I think Algomon is specifically trying to kill Kari and maybe TK. I didn't think much about why he was targeting Tokyo, because of course he was, but then I realized- it's only Tokyo. It's only the one nuke, VS all the other nukes Diaboramon used in Our War Games. Diaboramon was trying to wipe out humanity, but Algomon only sent the one nuke.

This is a really interesting theory, and I'm onboard with it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 12, 2020

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

That's actually not true. Adventure was always gonna be a year long show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Burkion posted:

So, and I'll spoil this if people think I should but it's just me taking a wild stab

And Algomon specifically only targeted the train Kari was on, and the train that would crash into hers. I think he, or whatever force is behind him more likely, is trying to remove her from the game ahead of time. Considering what's ALREADY happened, I can't blame him.

I 100% believe Argomon was trying to kill Takeru and Hikari, yeah. Nuke in Tokyo, and this episode all but confirms that Yamato does not live in Tokyo (as i previously speculated from the ED) so they're not targeting the Chosen Children.

I don't want it to be Yggdrasil vs whatever it was in Tri, but I do think there are forces that are fighting each other and Takeru and Hikari are the biggest pieces in their war. Going by that shot in the ED of Yamato seeing the other chosen children, Takeru and Hikari are missing, and in the OP they're also not there for the big action scene; Takeru is chilling in some mossy ruins with Patamon while Hikari is in a dark room with a Gatomon. I think Argomon's side will kidnap Hikari, while the side supporting the heroes will keep Takeru safe, and the other six will be on a quest to save them both.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Frankly if we don't see anything of Tri's utter nonsense in this series (and Yuggdasil, because they've been done to death) then I think we'll be doing alright by the kids.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 12, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It’s so good...they’re really trying this time :unsmith:

I’d love to see another animation breakdown on this episode, there were shots that really reminded me of Battle of Gods and Greymon moves with a fluidity that I don’t think I’ve ever seen in the series.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TheHan posted:

It’s so good...they’re really trying this time :unsmith:

I’d love to see another animation breakdown on this episode, there were shots that really reminded me of Battle of Gods and Greymon moves with a fluidity that I don’t think I’ve ever seen in the series.

Was it the part where they were air dashing through the smoke? Because that totally reminded me of Goku tunneling through the rock after losing Super Saiyan God.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Everyone keeps saying that Algomon's aiming for Takeru and Hikari, but I feel like it's also completely possible that Algomon's aiming for the site of the dude with the computer who just helped the heroes track them down twice in a row. I mean, it could be Takeru and Hikari, but it's not definitive yet.

On another note, I'd kind of like it if the main Digimon got alternate evolution paths they could use as needed, since it's something we really haven't seen since 02 with Armor. It'd be kind of cool to see Agumon evolve to Geo Greymon for better melee action, or Patamon to Unimon normally, and only manage Angemon in extreme circumstances.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

The Bee posted:

Was it the part where they were air dashing through the smoke? Because that totally reminded me of Goku tunneling through the rock after losing Super Saiyan God.

Yeah! It spirals in the same way and the frame rate (I don't know if that's the proper term in this case) has the same sort of rough movement that that scene did.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kurui Reiten posted:

Everyone keeps saying that Algomon's aiming for Takeru and Hikari,

Everyone is A Person, which is me, who admitted he could be off base.

But think of it like this- of all the trains, he chose the one Kari SPECIFICALLY just got on, and then moved onto targeting the entire city she was in when that was no longer an option.

If there's any plan going on here, it stands to reason that he's targeting her, and given the bullshit she and TK have already pulled without saying a single word, it's pretty self evident why that is.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I was kinda hoping they were going to fake us out and do some massive Shin Megami Tensei 1 twist, and actually nuke Tokyo. Taichi and Yamato are ok in the Digital World, but now they have to figure out a way to un-gently caress the world or something. Just some massive rear end twist that comes out of left field and completely changes the ball game.

Omegamon in the second episode is definitely a twist, but kind of less extreme than "welp, good work heroes, you failed miserably".

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

I was kinda hoping they were going to fake us out and do some massive Shin Megami Tensei 1 twist, and actually nuke Tokyo. Taichi and Yamato are ok in the Digital World, but now they have to figure out a way to un-gently caress the world or something. Just some massive rear end twist that comes out of left field and completely changes the ball game.

Omegamon in the second episode is definitely a twist, but kind of less extreme than "welp, good work heroes, you failed miserably".

Honestly same. Then I thought "the nuke is going to be in the sky about to destroy tokyo when the gang goes to the digital world proper and the time stuff kicks in, so there's 2 minutes IRL to solve the situation meaning 2 weeks in the digital world"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TheHan posted:

Yeah! It spirals in the same way and the frame rate (I don't know if that's the proper term in this case) has the same sort of rough movement that that scene did.

That was exactly my thought, too! None of them needed to spiral, and the spiraling didn't even really make logical sense. But in both cases I'll be damned if it didn't make me smile.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ajay has the video up, so lets find out how much of those dragon ball feelings are accurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcMCNgVYxeo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

MorningMoon posted:

Kurui Reiten posted:

Honestly same. Then I thought "the nuke is going to be in the sky about to destroy tokyo when the gang goes to the digital world proper and the time stuff kicks in, so there's 2 minutes IRL to solve the situation meaning 2 weeks in the digital world"

While Digimon has been drawing from the Persona well recently with in terms of both design (e.g. NoblePumpkinmon) and writing (e.g. Cyber Sleuth) I feel like that be a line too far to cross, especially this early when we haven't even seen the full cast and said cast's age.

Remember that apart from Hypnos' actions, Tamers' darkest poo poo didn't happen until towards the tail-end of the series. Otherwise it was mostly the implication that bad poo poo could happen if the Tamers got careless.