Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kurt Russell is a majestic human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

This movie can sure establish a disturbing tone.

If anyone wants me to shut the gently caress up, by the way, I will.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So this Antarctic research facility has people qualified to do autopsies? Why, exactly?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jesus loving Christ, what happened to that dog?!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

thrawn527 posted:

Jesus loving Christ, what happened to that dog?!

He's a very good boy that goes on to win the basketball tournament what's not to like :confused:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

There are some weird dissolve to black moments, but still, extremely well directed.

DoombatINC posted:

He's a very good boy that goes on to win the basketball tournament what's not to like :confused:

That is not what I just saw.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wilford Brimley has this poo poo figured out.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

That is not what I just saw.

But just think of the free throws he could make, what a natural!!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

loving Norwegians.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Alright, "Not Bennings" freaked me the gently caress out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'd caution that some people might also want to watch The Thing for the first time and probably wouldn't want the spoilers, since it's part of the magic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GrandpaPants posted:

I'd caution that some people might also want to watch The Thing for the first time and probably wouldn't want the spoilers, since it's part of the magic.

Alright, I'll shut up then, because I have to admit, this movie is loving amazing. Holy poo poo.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That dog is the best dog actor of all time

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Seriously though, it's a movie that does a lot with a little, which I didn't expect from the body horror clips I had seen before.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
The Thing is an amazing movie and I might finally crack and get the patreon for it.

Also I love that Man of Steel and Queen of the Damned had almost identical conversations about where the term "Stan" came from

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

thrawn527 posted:

Seriously though, it's a movie that does a lot with a little, which I didn't expect from the body horror clips I had seen before.

The monster scenes rule, but everything around them is fantastic too, and the cast just kills it from top to bottom. And it has a rad soundtrack from loving ENNIO MORRICONE, which you'd never guess from how it sounds!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yup, that movie rules. I regret sleeping on it for so long.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

That loving petri dish scene is one of my all time favorites in any movie.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

They should have done The Thing (1982) for WLM and The Thing (2011) for WHM*.

*I have never seen the 2011 movie so I don't know if it was actually bad or not but it sure as gently caress felt unnecessary.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

GrandpaPants posted:

*I have never seen the 2011 movie so I don't know if it was actually bad or not but it sure as gently caress felt unnecessary.

It was not good and definitely not necessary

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

It was unnecessary, but fine in and of itself. Mostly worth seeing for the cast, which includes Mary Elizabeth Winstead and the guy who played Kai Proctor on Banshee.

e: Unfortunately, Ulrich Thomsen plays a scientist and not a slaughterhouse-running ex-Amish crime lord who beats people up with sick Wing Chun moves.

The first three seasons of Banshee are loving incredible television

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you haven't seen The Thing From Another World, a prior adaptation of the novel The Thing is based on, do it. It's really good too.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I just realized I think I have seen several The thing ripoffs but not The Thing

First things that come to mind are that one X-Files episode and a scify original movie staring Bruce Campbell.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I have a nostalgic soft spot for The Thing video game even though it's buggy, and probably pretty terrible in reality.

I thought its atmosphere and ideas were neat! I'd love to see modern game engines adapt the "at any random point your squad mates can get infected and turn on you" gimmick.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 9, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

thrawn527 posted:

drat, it's weird seeing Wilford Brimley without a mustache.

Holy poo poo I just realized that them doing The Thing means we get more Brimley.

Marin Karin posted:

I have a nostalgic soft spot for The Thing video game even though it's buggy, and probably pretty terrible in reality.

I thought its atmosphere and ideas were neat! I'd love to see modern game engines adapt the "at any random point your squad mates can get infected and turn on you" gimmick.

Same. That game was almost there.

Biggest thing that hosed it up was that the main story mechanic (not knowing who is a Thing and using testing kits) got broken by scripted sequences. So you'd be in a room with a dude, test him negative, and then he'd thing out 30 seconds later even though you never separated from him.

I remember enjoying it but calling bullshit every time that happened, which was a lot.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 9, 2020

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized that them doing The Thing means we get more Brimley.

AND Kurt Russell. I’m so excited for the release it ain’t funny.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GrandpaPants posted:

It also ended before a Chinese character showed up, but NOT before a main character was threatened with rape.

I do not understand the adoration for Firefly.

18 years ago TV was different. It was essentially just the right alchemy that shut-in nerds who were home on Friday nights in 2002 to latch onto. In the end it's basically rose colored glasses, and probably like me, most people haven't watched it in about a decade.

On top of that, it was the dawn of DVD being everywhere, and for a lot of people, it was probably the first series they bought on DVD. For the first time, you could watch all the episodes in the intended order, as well as two episodes that were, at the time, never aired.

Every once in a while, I consider dusting off my DVDs and revisiting it, or upgrading to the Blu-Ray (I've seen the entire series + Serenity for $15 before), and I just can't muster the desire to. I feel like it would be a great premise for a podcast, and also a way to generate a ton of hatemail.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Iron Crowned posted:

18 years ago TV was different. It was essentially just the right alchemy that shut-in nerds who were home on Friday nights in 2002 to latch onto. In the end it's basically rose colored glasses, and probably like me, most people haven't watched it in about a decade.

On top of that, it was the dawn of DVD being everywhere, and for a lot of people, it was probably the first series they bought on DVD. For the first time, you could watch all the episodes in the intended order, as well as two episodes that were, at the time, never aired.

Every once in a while, I consider dusting off my DVDs and revisiting it, or upgrading to the Blu-Ray (I've seen the entire series + Serenity for $15 before), and I just can't muster the desire to. I feel like it would be a great premise for a podcast, and also a way to generate a ton of hatemail.

Firefly also had a pretty rad cast that does a lot of the heavy lifting for that show.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Bugs aside, The Thing game was pretty okay.

But then all the combat with human enemies really sucked. As a straight up shooter the game is awful and hits a brick wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrmHncD-z-Q&t=13387s

Oh and it also ends with a turret segment.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
My first watch through of Firefly (sometime after the movie came out) I loved it. On 2nd viewing I still really like a few of the eps, but find most of them to be not all that good. The cast is great and I generally like the world.

Its the only JW thing I like other than Cabin in the Woods.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

GrandpaPants posted:

I was disappointed when I saw it in theaters, but watching it a couple years ago I don't think it was that awful. It's a shame the practical work got replaced with CG tho. That's a drat shame especially with the practical demo behind the scenes vids that came out awhile ago. that would've at least bumped it up to a unnecessary, but at least cool prequel.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

These Billy impressions have really taken off!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I subscribed to the patreon again but pocket casts won’t update the feed is there something special I need to do? I know some people have trouble re subscribing. On that note what podcast app do people use now?

I’m thinking about getting away from pocketcasts even though I used to really love it. One that preferably that syncs with a web browser for desktop.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 13, 2020

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

On Overcast you copy the link on Patreon with your personal RSS link and you’re good to go.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

weekly font posted:

On Overcast you copy the link on Patreon with your personal RSS link and you’re good to go.

Lol not quite. All the activity in the thread made me wake up yesterday and sleepily think The Thing had been released and I didn't see it so I stupidly removed it and went to re-add it from the URL from Patreon. I won't bore you with a play by play but it took literally the whole day until I had anything but Gumby or a random collection of episodes with nothing else.

I went back and forth between Overcast and the Apple Podcast app until I gave up. It finally fixed itself when they pushed last evenings Nexus which seemed to push everything else missing to my app. I still have it twice in the Podcasts app though, one with everything and one with just Gumby:

Tldr Podcast apps suck and there's no "just do this to fix it method".

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Man I'm going to be super bummed when these Melro210 episodes stop.

4ish episodes a week and still so good.

ILWHM.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I personally would’ve preferred a Mad Men show from them but this works too.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Aaron Spelling's Dudes and The Tiffany Show are some of the most exciting introductions into the WHM canon in years :neckbeard:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
It's a Tax Day Eve (observed) miracle!
https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1250075185992142849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Woo cheers for the heads up Ryan!