Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

why do you have okoro so low? also i think people sleep on vassell and your ranking of him is probably gonna look smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tres Trinkle

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

why do you have okoro so low? also i think people sleep on vassell and your ranking of him is probably gonna look smart

I don't know if he can score at all. He shot like 20% away from the rim. The defense, feel, and athleticism are worth a lottery pick but I don't know if you can take him much higher when his offense is such a huge question mark.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 22, 2020

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

ITs actually Tres Tinkle

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Okungu is landing near Detroit in mocks, which makes me happy. if they do sign Christian wood as their long-term starting center, okungu seems like a very good complimentary power forward who can cover many centers and could cover perimeter players, and is solid on offense. the right guy at the right position at the right time with the right skills to make the roster fit

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dejan Bimble posted:

Okungu is landing near Detroit in mocks, which makes me happy. if they do sign Christian wood as their long-term starting center, okungu seems like a very good complimentary power forward who can cover many centers and could cover perimeter players, and is solid on offense. the right guy at the right position at the right time with the right skills to make the roster fit

sounds like the kind of guy the timberwolves should be all over

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Generally I think he's more of a center but he'd be a really good fit next to KAT

This is very useful

https://twitter.com/Ben_Pfeifer_/status/1243240659399479296?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1247191086868692992?s=19

Probably the guy I am highest on relative to mainstream consensus in the draft. He needs a lot of physical development but he is a really special shooter. He regularly hits super deep off the dribble threes in a way you don't see very much out of guys other than like Steph. He's probably a lottery pick next year if he goes back but I would love to see Utah give him a promise this year to try to keep him in.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Wonder if the Pels will look at him...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

Wonder if the Pels will look at him...

Pels would be a good spot too, someone with an older established PG that he can develop behind for a year or two is probably the best case and they need as many shooters around Zion as they can get. Lonzo can also share the playmaking duties a bit which helps.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

MourningView posted:

Pels would be a good spot too, someone with an older established PG that he can develop behind for a year or two is probably the best case and they need as many shooters around Zion as they can get. Lonzo can also share the playmaking duties a bit which helps.

Yeah, and the Pels are really lacking another dangerous off the dribble shooter. Right now, they just have Ingram for that and he doesn't really take those kinds of shots from 3. Having any player who can do it and do it well would be fantastic.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1247304797327372289

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I guess if one draft was going to be a complete cluster gently caress this was probably the one.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Utah sophomore Both Gach has put his name in, and I really hope it's just for the feedback. He went to high school half an hour from where I used to live and went to college about five minutes from where I live now so I've seen plenty of him, but I'd rather just post this quick write-up from the Salt Lake Tribune instead:

quote:

“He’s certainly interesting from a movement standpoint,” Sports Illustrated NBA draft insider Jeremy Woo told The Tribune. “He has some intriguing quick-twitch stuff off the dribble and vertically that catches your eye immediately. He’s not close to NBA-ready and will need to show he does more than just score moving forward. I also wonder how much strength he can add with his body type, but there’s a base level of ability with him that will at least be worth a look moving forward.”

“From what I saw this year, I don’t know if he is an NBA prospect,” one NBA front office executive told The Tribune. “He’s too thin, not strong, didn’t knock down shots, and I wonder how good his basketball IQ is.”

About that scoring: 11 points per game, 25% three-point shooter, .497 TS%, went to the line three times per 40 minutes of playing time, so even calling him a scorer is generous at this point. He can pass a bit and be a playmaker when he actually tries to go to the basket, but he just might be limited by Krystowiak's playing style for Utah because they take loads of threes.

I mean, he's got plenty of athletic ability but he's still a college wing who put up a PER of 11 over this past season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
With the current rules if you have any NBA aspirations at all you should be putting your name in every year just to get the feedback from teams

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it’s a pretty bad draft but gach isn’t really on anyone’s radar; he’d probably go undrafted, especially without a combine to show off his athleticism

also if his problem was being asked to shoot too many threes then buddy you’re gonna have a bad time in the nba

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s a pretty bad draft but gach isn’t really on anyone’s radar; he’d probably go undrafted, especially without a combine to show off his athleticism

also if his problem was being asked to shoot too many threes then buddy you’re gonna have a bad time in the nba
Utah took about 40% of their shots from three last year even though they shot them at only a 33% clip. Basically their coach demands every one of his wings to shoot half of his shots or more from three-point range, whether or not said player can actually make them.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Without the NCAA tournament I have no way to judge who will be the most effective winner at the next level

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Oceanlife posted:

Without the NCAA tournament I have no way to judge who will be the most effective winner at the next level
Charlotte declines to participate in the draft

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Charlotte declines to participate in the draft

They'd just draft all the upperclassmen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Listening to the Chad Ford podcast to see what Chad Ford draft takes are like these days and having an existential meltdown because Kevin O'Connor also has Killian Hayes 1.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

MourningView posted:

Listening to the Chad Ford podcast to see what Chad Ford draft takes are like these days and having an existential meltdown because Kevin O'Connor also has Killian Hayes 1.

Haha I just read his top 30 and immediately came here to see if you were feeling conflicted and you were, 2 days ago!!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/aleksejpokusevs/status/1253762797130993664?s=19

If there is a guy who comes out of nowhere to be one of the best players in the league like Giannis in this draft this is probably the best candidate. His highlights are truly freaky for a seven foot tall guy but he also weighs like 130 pounds

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think Kira Lewis is the #1 guy I want the Sixers to target, but I suspect he won't be there at 22

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/aleksejpokusevs/status/1253762797130993664?s=19

If there is a guy who comes out of nowhere to be one of the best players in the league like Giannis in this draft this is probably the best candidate. His highlights are truly freaky for a seven foot tall guy but he also weighs like 130 pounds

i’m worried that he can’t finish inside at all and that he’s going to get bullied by actual nba centers

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

i’m worried that he can’t finish inside at all and that he’s going to get bullied by actual nba centers

Oh yeah he's going to suck unless he gains like 60 pounds but also wheeeee

https://twitter.com/maxacarlin/status/1244500098098266113?s=19

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/robdauster/status/1254491078142701570?s=21

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Wow, that's insane.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

That’s really gonna tank his draft value

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

seems bad imo

tho "Possession of a fireman" leads to some more questions

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

seems bad imo

tho "Possession of a fireman" leads to some more questions

Ever play as a changeling in Streets of Rogue?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

Well it depends on how quick he was able to get his shot off.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DC Murderverse posted:

he was not on my board

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Has the killer instinct I'm looking for

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Shooters gotta shoot

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

So I have had a lot of time on my hands to tinker with my board and I changed my mind on this (and a bunch of other stuff) a lot! I just don't think he's enough of an outlier shooter to make it as a starter. I am pretty bored atm so I'll probably mess with it a lot between now and whenever the draft happens, and obviously a lot of these guys won't be in the draft

4) Cole Anthony

I haven't watched any of his film pre-college, but man Cole's shot selection is brutal. He was made for the Knicks to take him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Katana_Warrior posted:

I haven't watched any of his film pre-college, but man Cole's shot selection is brutal. He was made for the Knicks to take him.

It's real bad! But he's been a pretty good off the dribble shooter at every level and that team sucked complete rear end and was horribly put together. He is one of the few guys with legit primary upside and the others like Edwards have even worse shot selection issues and less of a shooting track record. I could definitely see an argument for Vassell over both

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

It's real bad! But he's been a pretty good off the dribble shooter at every level and that team sucked complete rear end and was horribly put together. He is one of the few guys with legit primary upside and the others like Edwards have even worse shot selection issues and less of a shooting track record. I could definitely see an argument for Vassell over both

His landing mechanics are pretty scary to me too, he loves landing on one fully extended leg when he comes down from fastbreak dunks. He's already had some ankle issues and it could get worse if he doesn't correct that stuff. But yeah, if he takes a Kyle Lowry style evolution and learns to play The Right Way he could be really good.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

whenever the draft combine happens he’s gonna test out of this world athletically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'd be so scared to have Anthony Edwards available if I was a GM. Biggest disparity between the ceiling and floor I can recall.