Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It’s one thing to give a kid an appropriate level of school work, it’s another entirely to tell them they are above average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Boomers love blaming media for dumb poo poo.

My mother thought the Simpsons were some kind of subversive threat to familial stability. There was a window of time where if I misbehaved (aka talked back) to my mother while she was having her manic episode of the day she'd occasionally say something like 'blah blah blah or there'll be no more Bart Simpson!'.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Outrail posted:

Boomers love blaming media for dumb poo poo.

My mother thought the Simpsons were some kind of subversive threat to familial stability. There was a window of time where if I misbehaved (aka talked back) to my mother while she was having her manic episode of the day she'd occasionally say something like 'blah blah blah or there'll be no more Bart Simpson!'.

Man my mom (Gen X but still) always had a hate on for how inappropriate the Simpson's was and how I wasnt allowed to watch it, meanwhile she would help me rent M rated games and even got me Vice City when I was like 13 because she knew I was mature enough to know the difference between actual violence and shambly pixelated violence.

I think she just didnt like the simpsons

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not liking The Simpsons is weirdest loving thing, even today. 1986-1992 was a really weird period of US popular culture.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My G&T grade school classes were de facto segregation. I had no idea until years later when I talked to one of the few white kids that weren’t in it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

e.pilot posted:

It’s one thing to give a kid an appropriate level of school work, it’s another entirely to tell them they are above average.

I don't remember the latter ever taking place when I was a kid.

Remulak posted:

My G&T grade school classes were de facto segregation. I had no idea until years later when I talked to one of the few white kids that weren’t in it.

I could definitely see that happening some places. I grew up in a ridiculously white town in a ridiculously white state, so this wasn't a thing where I was, at least.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Danaru posted:

Man my mom (Gen X but still) always had a hate on for how inappropriate the Simpson's was and how I wasnt allowed to watch it, meanwhile she would help me rent M rated games and even got me Vice City when I was like 13 because she knew I was mature enough to know the difference between actual violence and shambly pixelated violence.

My mom was the same way, but relented over time and eventually enjoyed the show. A big part of it came from being an Evangelical Christian earlier in her life. While she wasn't super into religion when she raised me, she was always averse to "crass" humor and popular culture that didn't share her moral values.

That's a very boomer thing, making sweeping value judgements about stuff you're not familiar with based on limited interaction and anecdotal evidence.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

I got pressured into going to college at 16 because of the gifted child bullshit and I had an opportunity to leapfrog forward. It's been almost double my lifetime since then and I still don't have a degree despite being in/out of various schools. I'm also leftist as gently caress and saddled with comorbidities that can make basic functioning a hell of a challenge.

And I'll still cop that ultimately it was my own fault for not developing the skills needed to succeed.

Did my Boomer parents and support networks fail me? Abso-loving-lutely they did and I'll go to the grave knowing I was set up to fail. I have burned more than a few bridges with former peers and parents for refusing to feel like poo poo and giving them their share of blame. I'm also experienced enough to know I'm not alone and the system we have incentivizes obedient classists over anything else, and Boomers are largely domesticated imbeciles who would rather pretend their own poo poo is chocolate than admit that they hosed up and were largely born into exceptionally good soil.

But at the end of the day I was the one presented with a standard that I couldn't live up to, and even though I may not have had the discipline or willpower to get my poo poo together I still knew better. That failure is absolutely my own and no amount of explanation for why I was the way I was will excuse that I failed.

Maybe? I mean at 16 you're a literal child so I have trouble blaming you for anything that happened then even if you blame yourself. Maybe whatever happened in the intervening 16 years is on you, but even there it's moving mountains. How can you build on something with a shaky foundation? How can you fix the foundation without anybody teaching you how? I can't quite reconcile of "I was set up to fail" and "it's my fault that I failed" in the same post.

Excuse doesn't really matter unless there's some outside force punishing you for something. Excuse matters when you're a kid trying to get out of trouble. "My excuse for not having my homework is that my dog ate it. Please, don't knock points off my grade." Right now you're an adult with all that entails. Telling your landlord "Sorry I'm late on the rent, I can't hold down a job because of the way I was raised" won't get you anywhere. At least for me, when we're looking at this thing it's about reflection. What can I do differently right now with these lessons to improve on things. What would I do differently with my child if I somehow wound up with one (I loving hope not but whatever)? So, I dunno. Maybe it doesn't excuse anything that your parents hosed up, but I think explaining a lot of it is valuable for that kind of reflection.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I didn’t let my kids watch the simpsons when they were young, didn’t want the white American heteronormative conservative church going Christian narrative being seen as “normal“/“the default” in my house.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Danaru posted:

My mother was basically Marge Simpson and she hated the show lol

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Lil Peeler posted:

That's a very boomer thing, making sweeping value judgements about stuff you're not familiar with based on limited interaction and anecdotal evidence.
And not giving an inch when confronted by someone with direct, actual experience in the subject matter.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Cheesus posted:

And not giving an inch when confronted by someone with direct, actual experience in the subject matter.

I've really gotten into '90s hip hop in the last several years, mostly focusing on some of the better work by Nas, Wu-Tang, and Mos Def. I put on "Numbers" when I was driving in the car with my mom a while back and she flipped out about how rap is just terrible music and she doesn't like it for no reason.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

For me growing up it was South Park. It was seen as scandalous by my mom and I shouldn't watch it. Looking at those early episodes now they are unbelievably tame.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

limp_cheese posted:

For me growing up it was South Park. It was seen as scandalous by my mom and I shouldn't watch it. Looking at those early episodes now they are unbelievably tame.

South Park was and is poo poo that helped normalized anti-Semitism for a whole new generation.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
South Park is bullshit, gen-x whataboutism, maybe both sides are wrong nonsense

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
South Park is insufferable. It’s the pinnacle of dumb libertarian simple solutions to complex problems bullshit

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ElGroucho posted:

South Park is bullshit, gen-x whataboutism, maybe both sides are wrong nonsense

It wasn't that for the first couple of years, it was just a gross out show for the most part. Very Gen X but in a different way, being deliberately transgressive for no one's benefit, and then kind of rode that philosophy into political "offend everybody" transgression, which, again, redounded to the benefit of no one but the show's creators and Comedy Central.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

You Are A Elf posted:

To the goons who were verboten to eat with elbows on the table... how the gently caress did y’all eat corn on the cob?

That’s like proper corn-eating 101 right there.

gotta work those biceps bro

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Boomers love talking about public schools.

Anyway, to get back to John Cleese, I remember seeing him on the "making toast" episode of the Dave Letterman show, and he definitely used a knife to cut his toast into mouth-sized bits instead of biting his bread.

John Cleese is extremely middle-class.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mind the walrus posted:

I distinctly remember asking for guidance on learning about all these cool new PCs as a kid, and being treated like the world's biggest burden for not "figuring it out on my own." About a week later I bricked the family PC because someone online convinced me to delete Win32. That was a fun month.

Yea I came too early for serious computer classes (We learned basic, basic+ and Pascal, but learned nothing more than how to make spheres or some really basic stuff), but even people 10 years younger than me had computer classes that would give you the basics to enter CS or any other in demand profession. I think they were still teaching thinking that you'd get a job at a company that will train you in what you needed to know, like my dad and my dads friends all went though Well, the ones who didn't going into specialized careers like medicine or law. My dad literally went from selling car accessories, to surveying to real estate then to commercial building leasing and management. He took outside courses but only after he had gotten the job and they were paid for by the companies. Who would hire you and then paid for you to get your real estate license these days?

Heath posted:

It wasn't that for the first couple of years, it was just a gross out show for the most part. Very Gen X but in a different way, being deliberately transgressive for no one's benefit, and then kind of rode that philosophy into political "offend everybody" transgression, which, again, redounded to the benefit of no one but the show's creators and Comedy Central.

Doesn't this grow out of the 70s style of humor where everyone is super offensive to make points about how lovely everything is? Like you see Crumb who was pretty far left for the 70s on social matters, but his stuff is full of racism, homopobia and sexism.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 13, 2020

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

South Park is insufferable. It’s the pinnacle of dumb libertarian simple solutions to complex problems bullshit

It also insinuates that people who actually care about things are the worst kind of human beings.

As another goon said once, it’s a much better show when it sticks to focusing on shenanigans with Randy Marsh.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Since the Simpsons from 1990 seems so tame now that proves that it really did cause the downfall of western society moral values. People forget that Bart literally disrespected his parents, teachers, and religious leaders.

And it caused global warming by making nuclear power look bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ProperGanderPusher posted:

It also insinuates that people who actually care about things are the worst kind of human beings.

As another goon said once, it’s a much better show when it sticks to focusing on shenanigans with Randy Marsh.

Cartman is one of those characters like the Joker that if you meet someone super into them, its a good indicator they're a lovely human being.

lmaopocalypse
Mar 16, 2020

limp_cheese posted:

Right for the wrong reasons

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Man, I blame my mom for my poo poo time in school. I probably bitched about this in here before. Between 5th and 10th grades, I was in 5-6 schools. Elementary in Los Angeles, Elementary in rural Oregon, 2nd Elementary in Oregon. Middle School LA, Middle School Oregon. Middle School LA again. High school Oregon till graduation. And she refused to get my records between schools. I had pre-algebra, basic English, and basic history 5 times. by the time high school came about, I had subject matter memorized from taking it so many times previous. My pleas of "Ive already had these subjects, had these classes" were met with calling me lazy, and if its so easy, just do the homework anyway. You Stupid Idiot.

I feel the school systems and my parents failed me hard. By the time I went to college, I got straight A's in a program that half of my cohort failed out of.

When I bring up my doing bad in school, she still says I was just lazy.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

twistedmentat posted:

My dad literally went from selling car accessories, to surveying to real estate then to commercial building leasing and management. He took outside courses but only after he had gotten the job and they were paid for by the companies. Who would hire you and then paid for you to get your real estate license these days?

My dad was made redundant in 2014 from his job running marketing for a university. He got a job as a rental property manager and the company paid for him to get his real estate license in 2017. I started my job as an assistant and my company paid for courses and my foundation certificate, and has offered to fund a diploma when I feel like I can put in the time to do the study. So it does still happen - but then again, I don’t live in the states.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I figured Carman was a terminally unlikable shithead and the whole point of his character was 'This is Carman, nobody likes him or his shtick. Kids, seriously, don't be Cartman'.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Shithouse Dave posted:

My dad was made redundant in 2014 from his job running marketing for a university. He got a job as a rental property manager and the company paid for him to get his real estate license in 2017. I started my job as an assistant and my company paid for courses and my foundation certificate, and has offered to fund a diploma when I feel like I can put in the time to do the study. So it does still happen - but then again, I don’t live in the states.

Which country if you don't mind me asking?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

winterwerefox posted:

Man, I blame my mom for my poo poo time in school. I probably bitched about this in here before. Between 5th and 10th grades, I was in 5-6 schools. Elementary in Los Angeles, Elementary in rural Oregon, 2nd Elementary in Oregon. Middle School LA, Middle School Oregon. Middle School LA again. High school Oregon till graduation. And she refused to get my records between schools. I had pre-algebra, basic English, and basic history 5 times. by the time high school came about, I had subject matter memorized from taking it so many times previous. My pleas of "Ive already had these subjects, had these classes" were met with calling me lazy, and if its so easy, just do the homework anyway. You Stupid Idiot.

I feel the school systems and my parents failed me hard. By the time I went to college, I got straight A's in a program that half of my cohort failed out of.

When I bring up my doing bad in school, she still says I was just lazy.
Were your parents divorced? I get the sense you had to live with different family members back and forth over the years.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

98% of the so-called "poor" households have refrigerators!

You really think your landlord would let you dig a fermentation pit in your apartment?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Outrail posted:

Which country if you don't mind me asking?

New Zealand. We’re nice, but not like, Scandinavian levels of social good.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Panfilo posted:

Were your parents divorced? I get the sense you had to live with different family members back and forth over the years.

Nope! My dad had a job in LA, and was buying a house in Oregon. He rented a house in LA, and the whole family lived there. We moved between that house, and the house in Oregon once or twice a year for a time. So off and on, the whole family moved to Oregon, except him, and Id get enrolled in school. Then we would move back to LA. Then again to Oregon. Leaving a bit more and more in the Oregon house till he finally destroyed his back and had to retire. This process was from 1988 to 2000. He never tried to get a job in Oregon. After all, his job in LA was so important and hard to do in Oregon. After all, he was a mechanic. Clearly a better idea to maintain two households on that income and rent one and mortgage a second property than ditch the rental and get a job where you own the house.

loving hell my parents are dumbshits.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding John Cleese and forks: the character Basil Fawlty was based on an actual innkeeper Cleese encountered. One of the things the innkeeper did was chastise, and I think actually also slap the hand of, John Cleese for switching his cutlery between hands while cutting and eating.

I think Cleese is the one who got slapped. I should read his autobiography, which is on my shelf, and see if that story is in there.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Regarding John Cleese and forks: the character Basil Fawlty was based on an actual innkeeper Cleese encountered. One of the things the innkeeper did was chastise, and I think actually also slap the hand of, John Cleese for switching his cutlery between hands while cutting and eating.

I think Cleese is the one who got slapped. I should read his autobiography, which is on my shelf, and see if that story is in there.

He brought up the fork thing in an ancient interview from the 80s, but I thought it was because he was doing some side project looking at American and British cultural differences. It's where I first heard of it, and since no one told me no as a kid, I apparently use my cutlery the European way.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Lil Peeler posted:

My mom was the same way, but relented over time and eventually enjoyed the show. A big part of it came from being an Evangelical Christian earlier in her life. While she wasn't super into religion when she raised me, she was always averse to "crass" humor and popular culture that didn't share her moral values.

I wasn't allowed The Sims Hot Date bc some Helen Lovejoy in my mother's yoga class she barely knew had told her it was a graphic loving and sucking simulator and she chose to believe her 100%

I just wanted my sims to leave the house! :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Boomers like believing literally anything people tell them about video games, or tabletop games. I recall one of the Penny Arcade guys had a mom who was into the whole Satanic Panic thing, and when she listened to a podcast about them actually playing D&D she rang him up and said it had zero resemblance to anything she'd expected and admitted she'd been lied to.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Easter Zoom.

I have a new appreciation for how boomers are able to slide into hot button issues, and then slide out of them without letting anybody else have a word in.
It's amazing. That skill is amazing.

*Relatives have a facial expression that looks like they are going to make a counter argument.*
" well (laugh) The younger ones don't know as much because they haven't see as much we have because we're older....anyways...[subject change]"

Like I have been though this poo poo a million times, and my poker-face is SA-Goon level impeccable. But I had a slight smile today. Now I get why my relatives ask me questions that are Hot Topic adjacent: They were oblivious to the boomer mentality.

Every single party is like a loving minefield for me, and now I know why. My younger relatives didn't get it, but now....Hahahahah every conversation is hot topic adjacent and hosed! Whooo!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shithouse Dave posted:

Yea I'm in Canada and basically any "real" job (that is office work that pays you enough to actually live off) requires so much education it's not funny. I spent my 20s going to job fairs and they all had these great jobs that required more education than you can imagine. They are full of those "entry level" jobs that require 5+ years of experience and 10 years of education.

Why do you need to have an MBA to work as a Bank teller? Seriously.

I honestly think that the Boomers that run most companies these days do this so they can safely not hire anyone, overload their current workforce and when people ask why they don't hire more people they say "We can't find any qualified candidates".

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I think they were still teaching thinking that you'd get a job at a company that will train you in what you needed to know, like my dad and my dads friends all went though Well, the ones who didn't going into specialized careers like medicine or law. My dad literally went from selling car accessories, to surveying to real estate then to commercial building leasing and management. He took outside courses but only after he had gotten the job and they were paid for by the companies. Who would hire you and then paid for you to get your real estate license these days?

This was a huge thing during the Great Recession. Companies would claim they were hiring yet adamantly refuse to train people on the job. Candidates would be lined up out the door looking for work, willing to start a new career path, but the company would cut off its nose to spite its face because they expected everyone to have five years experience and all the right qualifications on their resume.

I've looked at job listings recently and it hasn't really changed. Even for basic data entry positions they want you to have a degree in IT or computer science and/or Microsoft certification. Meanwhile the job is copy and pasting poo poo into Excel for 8 hours a day. I'm quite certain the older folks who run the human resources departments are so out of touch that anything more complicated than email is like voodoo to them so they think you need a specific Bachelor's degree to use a spreadsheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It was Terry Gilliam who, as an American, was using his fork the zig-zag way. Which so enraged hotelier Donald Sinclair that he slapped the fork out of Gilliam's hand and (IIRC) snarled at him "We don't eat that way here!". Sinclair also threw Eric Idle's suitcase out of an upstairs window declaring it could be a bomb, and when questioned about who would want to bomb a mediocre English seaside hotel told the Pythons that he'd "had a lot of staff problems".