Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kazinsal posted:

be careful backdooring your way in

finally, a use for the usb condom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
ahnick 1 hour ago [-]

If Saudi Arabia started buying Bitcoin in bulk, then the price of Bitcoin would go up. This would create demand for the asset that is increasing in value and other people would start buying and holding. Saudi Arabia would not be able to acquire all the Bitcoin, but it doesn't really matter anymore, because now everybody wants it, because it has increased in value.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

sv9 5 hours ago [flagged] [dead] [-]

Maybe the landlords should've been more responsible and saved for a rainy day. Isn't that what the less-well-off are always told to do? Poor planning on their part shouldn't be the fault of renters.

dang 5 hours ago [-]

Would you please stop using HN for political battle? You've been doing it a lot, and it's not what this site is for.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

poor people should just die, they are losers in the game of evolution (not political)

landlords should follow their own advice and save money too (political)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Oneiros posted:

sv9 5 hours ago [flagged] [dead] [-]

Maybe the landlords should've been more responsible and saved for a rainy day. Isn't that what the less-well-off are always told to do? Poor planning on their part shouldn't be the fault of renters.

dang 5 hours ago [-]

Would you please stop using HN for political battle? You've been doing it a lot, and it's not what this site is for.

lol

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
sametmax 10 hours ago [-]

> Preserving their traditional alphabet and de-colonializing their culture is a good thing, no matter how I look at it
There are downsides to any situation. E.G:
- cost
- available resources for education and work
- adding one more obstacles for different cultures to be able to understand each other
I'm french, and in my country, language protection is a big thing.
It's also why we have such a terrible ability to speak english, which create way more problems than it solves.
Language preservation is overrated. Sure, it's nice. But compared to one day, having the entire earth speak the same language, be able to communicate and understand each other better? Small price to pay.
It get why they do it. Mongolia is a very peculiar culture, and I don't think it benefits much from mondialisation. Quite the contrary. And it's a way for their society to break from a painful part of their history.
But to me, it seems, at least on the long run, a step backward. Every time a language dies, like latin or summerian did, we gain uniformity. There are enough source of diversity in humanity to not need to add it to the very structure we use to exchange information.
Granted, the cyrillic alphabet is not very universal, but it is certainly more common than the traditional mongolia alphabet.
Now since I don't live there, I may be missing some crucial informations. Maybe the population still massively use the old alphabet unofficially and it makes sense. Maybe the use of the cyrillic alphabet brough problems I can't see.
So of course, I'm not the right peson to judge the situation.
But I wanted to bring a counter point to this the enthusiastic parent comment. We tend to react in a very emotional way when it's about culture, and I'm not sure it benefits our specie.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

humanity already has a rich tapestry of diversities like what Linux distro you prefer or which romance option you go for in persona 5, we don’t need a bunch of weird loser languages hanging around

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm French, and in my country, language protection is a big thing.

Lol.

https://www.hellabasque.org/basque-baby-names/

quote:

the teaching of regional languages was limited to one hour per week.

quote:

it was quickly referred to the Constitutional Council of France, with prosecutors arguing that the preamble, which recognises the right to use a regional language in private and public life, was repugnant to the aforementioned Article 2 of the constitution. A lengthy process ended in 2004 with the Council agreeing with that view. The charter remains unratified despite promises of constitutional change by President Hollande.

https://trinitycollegelawreview.org/french-language-law-the-attempted-ruination-of-frances-linguistic-diversity/

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

> Preserving their traditional alphabet and de-colonializing their culture is a good thing, no matter how I look at it
- cost
- adding one more obstacles for different cultures to be able to understand each other
It's also why we have such a terrible ability to speak english, which create way more problems than it solves.
Language preservation is overrated. Sure, it's nice. But compared to one day, having the entire earth speak the same language, be able to communicate and understand each other better? Small price to pay.
It get why they do it. Mongolia is a very peculiar culture, and I don't think it benefits much from mondialisation. Quite the contrary. And it's a way for their society to break from a painful part of their history.
But to me, it seems, at least on the long run, a step backward. Every time a language dies, like latin or summerian did, we gain uniformity. There are enough source of diversity in humanity to not need to add it to the very structure we use to exchange information.
Granted, the cyrillic alphabet is not very universal, but it is certainly more common than the traditional mongolia alphabet.
Now since I don't live there, I may be missing some crucial informations. Maybe the population still massively use the old alphabet unofficially and it makes sense. Maybe the use of the cyrillic alphabet brough problems I can't see.
But I wanted to bring a counter point to this the enthusiastic parent comment. We tend to react in a very emotional way when it's about culture, and I'm not sure it benefits our specie.

Then learn and converse in nothing but mandarin you Vichy gently caress

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Mr.Radar posted:

- cost

I like how the guy just throws up his hands at the end and is like "yeah I actually have no loving idea what I'm talking about, I just wanted to feel my mouth move" after making readers wade through paragraphs of bullshit

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

what if, instead of trying to preserve their culture, people only did things I think are worthwhile?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22868054

There are a lot of people who seem to think that it's somehow legal for Amazon to fire people for talking about their working conditions because it's "company policy"

My favorite is the people who claim to be aware of the NLRA, but assert that a right to public collective organizing somehow gets invalidated if you mention the working conditions of coworkers

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

‘unions were a great idea when you could be injured or killed due to an unsafe workspace but are obsolete now’

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

PCjr sidecar posted:

‘unions were a great idea when you could be injured or killed due to an unsafe workspace but are obsolete now’

Conservatives really love this dumb talking point, don't they. I've heard it multiple times.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PCjr sidecar posted:

My chud coworker said that unions are unneeded now because we don't have the labor conditions that we had back in the days. :suicide:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

to be fair most worker deaths seem to be have been moved from getting ground up into the sausage mix to just "taking 20 or 30 years off a persons life"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yes, the conditions today aren’t what they were back during the guilded age

They’re much more insidious

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22868054

There are a lot of people who seem to think that it's somehow legal for Amazon to fire people for talking about their working conditions because it's "company policy"

My favorite is the people who claim to be aware of the NLRA, but assert that a right to public collective organizing somehow gets invalidated if you mention the working conditions of coworkers

there's no functional enforcement mechanism for anything in the nlra, so good luck defending your "rights"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there's no functional enforcement mechanism for anything in the nlra, so good luck defending your "rights"
See this is a reasonable point to make. Enforcement is shoddy and remedies for violations of the law are weak.

This, however, is not a coherent frame of mind:

quote:

Right, and that poster specifically talks about your working conditions. It says nothing about a protected right to talk about other people's working conditions.

quote:

They imply other people, yes; but mutual implies both sides. If you're only talking about other people's working conditions and never talking about your own, there's nothing mutual going on.
I can't tell whether it's just weird pedantic :smug:, genuine Libertarian beliefs of what ought to be, or grasping at straws to validate some dystopian worldview

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
you mean "functional institutions" ha ha ha :chaostrump:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

See this is a reasonable point to make. Enforcement is shoddy and remedies for violations of the law are weak.

maybe i chose my words poorly

decades of case law surrounding the nlra and nlrb have reduced your ostensible "rights" to almost nothing

the minute these guys whispered a word to the public, outside the business, they were hosed. even discussing internally with other employees is gonna be sliced and diced by lawyers

it's all bullshit and they were hosed before they even started

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

maybe i chose my words poorly

decades of case law surrounding the nlra and nlrb have reduced your ostensible "rights" to almost nothing

the minute these guys whispered a word to the public, outside the business, they were hosed. even discussing internally with other employees is gonna be sliced and diced by lawyers

it's all bullshit and they were hosed before they even started
I'm not sure things are that gloomy. Just last year Google had a similar policy and had to pay out a few settlements, reinstate some people, and issue company-wide NLRB notices saying that the "company policy" restricting external communications doesn't apply to discussing pay, working conditions, or other organizing activity. Amazon's in a similar position now.

But yeah I wouldn't exactly bet on the worker here.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

how many settlements and how much were they compared to revenue

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the point isn’t to punish the individual employee so much as it is to send a warning to everyone else. the settlements are nothing to the companies, but the lesson pays for itself many times over.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

power botton posted:

how many settlements and how much were they compared to revenue
These amounts are basically always confidential but probably not a lot of money

But the larger point is that these laws do exist in some form, and even in Republican administrations things sometimes happen

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i prefer purely functional institutions that have no real-world effects

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Hawkins posted:

i prefer purely functional institutions that have no real-world effects

yeah that's the nlrb in a nutshell

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

roenxi 32 minutes ago [-]

And honestly even the notion that the world during coronavirus should be that different is open to question. I agreed with taking action to delay the virus by a few months to buy time to both work out what was going on and figure out the most effective treatment strategies, but in Western countries people are seriously considering 12 month style lockdowns to protect potentially as low as 1% of the population who are well past the good years of their life.
In hindsight it may well be that the actuarial math didn't make sense - this isn't the first disease humanity has faced by a long stretch and we're potentially looking at severe self inflicted wounds for something that doesn't look like it is going to be the next Black Death or Ebola. The obvious historical precedent I remember is 9/11. Making any changes after 9/11 was a mistake the US never really recovered from. This would be a great moment to be a little hard-hearted and remember that everyone has to die of something.
We don't know what is going to happen from this economically. The economic forecasts are as flimsy and there is a lot of room for unpleasant surprises.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i agree with that post. it is not at all obvious how it'll all turn out, and e.g. having a generation of kids just not getting to go to school for a year will gently caress so many over in so many ways, and here "the economy" is actually largely code for the poorest and most unfortunate getting screwed over the worst.

because US political discourse is the dumbest in the world it of course needed to be decided whether the left or the right was going to be the side in favor of lockdown. now that it has been decided that it is a leftist position the central idea is to roll ones eyes about ~the economy~, pretending that anyone actually rich is suffering at all from this poo poo, when the reality is far more grim.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i agree with that post. it is not at all obvious how it'll all turn out, and e.g. having a generation of kids just not getting to go to school for a year will gently caress so many over in so many ways, and here "the economy" is actually largely code for the poorest and most unfortunate getting screwed over the worst.

because US political discourse is the dumbest in the world it of course needed to be decided whether the left or the right was going to be the side in favor of lockdown. now that it has been decided that it is a leftist position the central idea is to roll ones eyes about ~the economy~, pretending that anyone actually rich is suffering at all from this poo poo, when the reality is far more grim.

r0 of 4, 2-5% CFR gives us an optimistic 2.2m dead Americans alone so no I’m pretty sure we need some changes in order to avoid like 100x 9/11s

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

uncurable mlady posted:

r0 of 4, 2-5% CFR gives us an optimistic 2.2m dead Americans alone so no I’m pretty sure we need some changes in order to avoid like 100x 9/11s

cdc suspects r0 in the range of 3 to 9 using their own in-house models, working with raw data out of wuhan / hubei

all of our frustrating "lockdown" measures are attempts to fight biology and drag the r0 down

if we get it below 1, we win outright -- the epidemic ends. anything above 1 but lower than the theoretical "natural" level, we have fewer deaths than would otherwise have occurred

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

"some changes" sure, "some" things are already being done. again, taking the example of closing schools; something like 25 million children almost just losing a year of their childhood, but many of them being locked up in bad family situations or at very difficult ages. and that is not necessarily the most significant, just an easy example. the only reason not to get into how awful a years lockdown would turn out for all poor, disadvantaged, and just plain unemployed people is because people love to pretend that help will obviously be given. just start by arguing for the lockdown and surely the powers that be will be guilted into providing aid for the needy.

the catastrophy is here, the lockdown can be used to change the nature of the catastrophy, but any more than a few months is a very very difficult calculus.

i don't have any data or clear inkling to argue against a long lockdown, but the issue is that the data for a very long lockdown is not there either. not on the virus itself, but even less so on the effects such action has on the population.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'll lay off the subject now though, i am sure plenty of people disagree, and i don't have some very heavy-hitting argument to add. it is pretty nice that yospos is not too deep into these kinds of rather morbid debates, so i'm sorry for trotting it out.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
nature doesn't give a poo poo.

considering how many disasters it throws at us every year, we keep assuming none more will happen

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

also let's not forget that whatever the death rate with/without lockdown is, the amount of people who end up with damaged lungs and potentially less healthy years lived will be many many times more. either way we are looking at disaster

i am going to argue that with the lockdown, we have a better chance that we can focus on helping the poor/disadvantaged and the essential workers.

if we decided to rough it without a lockdown, you can bet your rear end that anyone who is barely rich enough, will self-isolate as well as they can, homeschool their kids and if they get infected, it's their money that will buy them a bed and treatment. there will just be too many sick people and we are going to have triage and death panels just like in italy when it got rough. i think it would quite rapidly create an atmosphere of "every man/woman for themselves", not to mention royally loving over anyone who is in need of other types of medical assistance

with a lockdown, at least we can get a handle on the disease and start re-opening things gradually when it is deemed safe and lock it back down when there are issues

i don't really give a poo poo about people missing a year from their education or something like that. even kids got to understand that what's going on is quite exceptional and do their learning over zoom or at home. after all this lost year (more likely lost summer vacation) is a shared societal experience

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
another positive note is this is likely the final nail in the coffin for the SAT/ACT

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
There would have been a demand cratering either way; people were going to freak out and reconsider travel and dining and etc; before the official lockdown people were already ramping up to work from home if they could (I started like a week before the orders started up)

The official lockdowns also function as an excuse and a possible path forward; without them the aid for people would have likely been even worse to nonexistent

It’s like the police making sure churches are shut down for orthodox Easter; the officialness of it gives an excuse for people that would have been afraid to attend to not do so with less guilt

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

"some changes" sure, "some" things are already being done. again, taking the example of closing schools; something like 25 million children almost just losing a year of their childhood, but many of them being locked up in bad family situations or at very difficult ages. and that is not necessarily the most significant, just an easy example. the only reason not to get into how awful a years lockdown would turn out for all poor, disadvantaged, and just plain unemployed people is because people love to pretend that help will obviously be given. just start by arguing for the lockdown and surely the powers that be will be guilted into providing aid for the needy.

the catastrophy is here, the lockdown can be used to change the nature of the catastrophy, but any more than a few months is a very very difficult calculus.

i don't have any data or clear inkling to argue against a long lockdown, but the issue is that the data for a very long lockdown is not there either. not on the virus itself, but even less so on the effects such action has on the population.

If they have bad family situations they're hosed anyway... being in school won't help that. What would be nice is if maybe there were structural changes that make it such that if you're poor you aren't beholden to working 70 hours a week and the government did something about these bad family situations

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also, I just want to add how, not only are schools one of the major breeding grounds for germs -- adults in a workplace can have the foresight and guidance to stay apart, or take precautions, ignoring fomites. Children, though, are another matter. Are you going to stand over all 100 of them in a class, every time they go to the toilet, to ensure they wash their hands? And that's just a single example of the things you would need to do to reduce separation -- but not going to school isn't(0) inherently(1) harmful to a child's(2) development(3)

quote:

The participants reported remarkably little difficulty academically in college.  Students who had never previously been in a classroom or read a textbook found themselves getting straight A’s and earning honors, both in community college courses and in bachelor’s programs. Apparently, the lack of an imposed curriculum had not deprived them of information or skills needed for college success. Most perceived themselves to be at an academic advantage compared with their classmates because they were not burned out by previous schooling, had learned as unschoolers to be self-directed and self-responsible, perceived it as their own choice to go to college, and were intent on making the most of what the college had to offer. A number of them reported disappointment with the college social scene. They had gone to college hoping to be immersed in an intellectually stimulating environment and, instead, found their fellow students to be more interested in frat parties and drinking. 

0 - Google Scholar citations for Paula Rothermel PhD. FRSA
1 - "Why Schools Don't Educate" - by Teacher of the Year winner John Taylor Gatto
2 - Psych Today "A Survey of Grown Unschoolers - Peter Grey PhD"
3 - Interview with Dr Alan Thomas MSc, PhD, FBPsS

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

my main beef with the post was the 'well past the good years of their life' bit